PDA

View Full Version : Chan Gailey was just on NFL Sirius radio.....

tampabay25690
05-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Just got to hear Bob Poppa and Ross Tucker with Chan Gailey this AM.

Basically talked about the draft, Stevie injury, Fitz, injuries. Everything we all know about.

Said CB was not a need but Gilmore was high on their board and for the value they had to grab him. Chand said you can't have enough young Cornerbacks.

Glenn was great value we liked him in the 1st round. He is a LT and just needs to lose a few pounds. He said he bulked up to deal with the week after week pounding in the SEC.

They asked Chan about T.J Graham......Said they wanted a Speed guy that can stretch the field with decent size.

They talked a bit about Tank Carder, it was funny Ross said since he played in Buffalo he thinks the fans will luv a guy like Tank. Hard worker Blue collar type guy. Chan said he slipped due to his SR year, broke a hand and missed some tackles. But they thought he would go a bit earlier.

They talked about Stevie surgery.....Chan said they are telling him minor surgery but Chan doesnt like anything that has to do with surgery. We will see what happens is what he said. Stevie did have the injury mid season.....

Chan did say the reason for the fall after the 7 games was injuries by far.....4 different centers played for the Bills last year. He said the depth has gotten much better.

Last thing they asked CHAN will you be out there trying to sign Veteran Free agents......... CHAN said YES.......he would not say what positions at all....

Great interview.....
Both Ross and Bob said they luv talking to Buddy and Chan said they are just great football guys..........

Figured I would update you guys...

have a great day

BloFan4Life
05-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Had to bull up to deal with the SEC but won't need the extra pounds in the NFL??? Does Chan really think the SEC is better than the NFL??

tampabay25690
05-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Had to bull up to deal with the SEC but won't need the extra pounds in the NFL??? Does Chan really think the SEC is better than the NFL??

Dont think you undersand the statement.
As a LT in the NFL you need to be light on your feet. And be able to move fast.
IN the SEC it's different they wanted him bigger to absorb blocks.

Never said the SEC is better then the NFL....
To be honest the best SEC team ever still loses in the NFL by 30+ points.

Skooby
05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Great recap Don, thanks for the cliff notes.

Just got to hear Bob Poppa and Ross Tucker with Chan Gailey this AM.

Basically talked about the draft, Stevie injury, Fitz, injuries. Everything we all know about.

Said CB was not a need but Gilmore was high on their board and for the value they had to grab him. Chand said you can't have enough young Cornerbacks.

Glenn was great value we liked him in the 1st round. He is a LT and just needs to lose a few pounds. He said he bulked up to deal with the week after week pounding in the SEC.

They asked Chan about T.J Graham......Said they wanted a Speed guy that can stretch the field with decent size.

They talked a bit about Tank Carder, it was funny Ross said since he played in Buffalo he thinks the fans will luv a guy like Tank. Hard worker Blue collar type guy. Chan said he slipped due to his SR year, broke a hand and missed some tackles. But they thought he would go a bit earlier.

They talked about Stevie surgery.....Chan said they are telling him minor surgery but Chan doesnt like anything that has to do with surgery. We will see what happens is what he said. Stevie did have the injury mid season.....

Chan did say the reason for the fall after the 7 games was injuries by far.....4 different centers played for the Bills last year. He said the depth has gotten much better.

Last thing they asked CHAN will you be out there trying to sign Veteran Free agents......... CHAN said YES.......he would not say what positions at all....

Great interview.....
Both Ross and Bob said they luv talking to Buddy and Chan said they are just great football guys..........

Figured I would update you guys...

have a great day

MattyNH
05-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Nice recap, sorry I missed it. I heard Bellicheck last night on late hits. Actually a decent interview out of him.

ddaryl
05-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Like that he emphatically said yes more veteran FA's will eb looked at.

mayotm
05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Had to bull up to deal with the SEC but won't need the extra pounds in the NFL??? Does Chan really think the SEC is better than the NFL??Yep, Chan also went on to say that Texas 5A High School football is better than the NFL.

Jan Reimers
05-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Hell yes. Just look at our drafts since he's been HC.

djjimkelly
05-01-2012, 07:57 AM

my guess is its easier to bulk up to run the ball or be an anchor for pass blocking in college

now that he is in nfl

drop 15-20 but add strength to make up for it

better days
05-01-2012, 07:59 AM

I don't know. The best SEC team ever..............Tebows championship Gators team would have given a few NFL bottom feeders a run for their money IMO.

mayotm
05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't know. The best SEC team ever..............Tebows championship Gators team would have given a few NFL bottom feeders a run for their money IMO.IMO, it's extremely unlikely that any college team could give an NFL team "a run for their money".

better days
05-01-2012, 08:07 AM
IMO, it's extremely unlikely that any college team could give an NFL team "a run for their money".

Years ago, the college Allstars would play the NFL Championship team in an exhibition game. I seem to recall those games as being competitive.

Goobylal
05-01-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't care about the reason why he added weight; just that he can lose it and get to a more effective weight. Kalil is almost an inch taller, but 40# lighter.

Mahdi
05-01-2012, 08:14 AM

I actually think Alabama would do well against an NFL team.

Think about their last two draft classes and the one coming up. They have top draft picks all over their OL and DL. Plus talent at LB, CB and S. They also have had big time talents with Julio and Richardson.

ublinkwescore
05-01-2012, 08:14 AM
There is no question in my mind, that if we were to stay relatively healthy, we would have been in the playoffs last year. possibly beyond wild card weekend.

tampabay25690
05-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Like that he emphatically said yes more veteran FA's will eb looked at.

When Ross asked Buddy are u looking at vet free agents and are you going to add anyone...................Right away CHAN said YES.

So obviously they are looking at a guy or 2 to add.

tampabay25690
05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
my guess is its easier to bulk up to run the ball or be an anchor for pass blocking in college

now that he is in nfl

drop 15-20 but add strength to make up for it

You are exactly correct

tampabay25690
05-01-2012, 08:20 AM
I don't know. The best SEC team ever..............Tebows championship Gators team would have given a few NFL bottom feeders a run for their money IMO.

You can't be anymore wrong.
Think about this....
Im a FL fan but how many players are in the NFL from that team????? Maybe 8...
So you have how many players from that team that never play a NFL down in there lives.

The NFL has 52 guys that are in the NFL.......

Not even close does a GREAT college team compete in the NFL....

tampabay25690
05-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Think about their last two draft classes and the one coming up. They have top draft picks all over their OL and DL. Plus talent at LB, CB and S. They also have had big time talents with Julio and Richardson.

And you think there QB play would be fine?
You can't run the ball every play vs a NFL team.
Yes they have great players and a great program but these players are sprinkled in to a NFL team with other elite talent.

k-oneputt
05-01-2012, 08:23 AM

They couldn't win but their defense would make it respectable.
Bama's offense and McCarron would get overwhelmed.
Similar to what Bama did to LSU in the NC game this year.

better days
05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
You can't be anymore wrong.
Think about this....
Im a FL fan but how many players are in the NFL from that team????? Maybe 8...
So you have how many players from that team that never play a NFL down in there lives.

The NFL has 52 guys that are in the NFL.......

Not even close does a GREAT college team compete in the NFL....

I was half joking about the Gators being the GREATEST College team, but as I said, the College Allstars used to play the NFL Championship team in an exhibition game & those games were competitive.

Yes it was Allstars from College, not a team, but they played the best the NFL had to offer. I still think a College Championship team could beat a BAD NFL team.

OpIv37
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Getting back on topic:

I don't like the way Gailey blamed injuries for the collapse last year. No doubt they didn't help, but it's clear we lacked talent in some key areas as well.

k-oneputt
05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Hell yes. Just look at our drafts since he's been HC.

And drafting from the SEC is a bad thing ???
I say it's about freaking time.

Do you want your players from C. Fla, Ark St., S. Dakota St., J. Madison or do you want the best from Bama, Georgia, and LSU ?

don137
05-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Buddy and Chan seem to be on the same page when evaluating talent and needs where Modrak, Dick and Buddy were not. The difference in drafts is amazing. Not only do we have talent they are getting depth.
I think DB is a need but saying that would be an insult to McGee, Florence and McKelvin and he did not need to open a can of worms by saying it was a need.

Skooby
05-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Getting back on topic:

I don't like the way Gailey blamed injuries for the collapse last year. No doubt they didn't help, but it's clear we lacked talented depth in some key areas as well.

Fixed.

better days
05-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Getting back on topic:

I don't like the way Gailey blamed injuries for the collapse last year. No doubt they didn't help, but it's clear we lacked talent in some key areas as well.

Both Chan & Buddy said before the start of last season that the Bills had NO depth. The team played VERY well, until the injuries hit.

OpIv37
05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Fixed.

I think we definitely lacked overall talent too, specifically at pass rush, LB, and #2 WR.

Pass rush has been fixed- not so sure about the other 2.

stuckincincy
05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I think DB is a need but saying that would be an insult to McGee, Florence and McKelvin and he did not need to open a can of worms by saying it was a need.

Dunno about that. As I read the OP's post, it was "you can't have enough young corner backs." I didn't see the word "need."

He is just echoing what any GM or HC would say. The rules are biased toward the pass game - and the big $ cbs get reflect that.

TigerJ
05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Had to bull up to deal with the SEC but won't need the extra pounds in the NFL??? Does Chan really think the SEC is better than the NFL??It was a coaching decision at Georgia. Different coaches have different philosophies. It happens on the NFL too. A new coaching regime comes in and they want their defensive line or offensive line to be lighter and quicker or bigger and stronger. Players lose or gain weight accordingly.

we are
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if gailey and nix disagreed on the Gilmore pick.

Chan said it wasn't a need, while buddy made that comment about our guys shutting down receivers who ain't no good.

Just guessing, but I would bet that chan wanted Floyd.

better days
05-01-2012, 08:49 AM
I think we definitely lacked overall talent too, specifically at pass rush, LB, and #2 WR.

Can't argue with any of this post. The only hope the Bills had of any kind of rush last year was from Merriman & he did not last long.

The best hope of a #2 receiver was on IR last year with a heart condition.

The team Nix inherited was so bad there was no way to fix it all in 2 years. I expect to see a GOOD team this year.

mikemac2001
05-01-2012, 08:50 AM

What are you feelings about the draft?

they did focus on area's of need

better days
05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
It was a coaching decision at Georgia. Different coaches have different philosophies. It happens on the NFL too. A new coaching regime comes in and they want their defensive line or offensive line to be lighter and quicker or bigger and stronger. Players lose or gain weight accordingly.

It looks like Jake Long we soon be a FA for this reason. If not this year, then next when his contract is up. The Fins want to go to a more finesse fast OL rather the a physical OL they have been in the past.

Goobylal
05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Getting back on topic:

He mentioned injuries played a part, and they obviously did. But he didn't say "that was was the only reason we lost."

TigerJ
05-01-2012, 09:19 AM
I think the depth issue is a difficult one for teams when injuries hit. Injuries often are not spread evenly throughout the team. Last year the offensive line was hit with an inordinate amount of injuries. Teams generally start out the season with no more than 9 offensive linemen on the roster. They have a 53 man roster limit and have to spread their backups throughout the whole team, and usually the offensive line is less prone to injuries than some other areas. At various times and various lengths of time Buffalo lost Bell, Wood, Urbik, Hairston, Levitre, Pears, and Rinehart. They lost Bell, Wood, and Urbik for multiple games at a stretch. It's nearly impossible for a team to maintain enough qualtiy depth to cover all those injuries. You can stick a couple of young linemen on your PS, but if they're good enough, some other team is going to snatch them up and add them to their active roster. I'm not saying there is nothing the Bills can do to improve their depth. Again looking at the offensive line, Cordy Glenn replaces Bell. For the purposes of depth, that's a wash. However they added Zebrie Sanders. He may replace Sam Young who was strictly a right tackle. Sanders is a swing guy, who should be able to handle either tackle spot, and maybe more, once he gets aclimated and into the Bills strength and conditioning program. Mark Asper will compete to replace Collin Brown IMO. He will play at the same spots as Brown, but if he's good enough, maybe he'll be the first guy in at center rather than having to slide Urbik over and bringing in Rinehart for Urbik at guard. But the simple truth is that if you've got four starters injured on your offensive line at the same time, you're going to struggle to deal with it, and your line play is going to suffer for it.

tampabay25690
05-01-2012, 09:20 AM
I was half joking about the Gators being the GREATEST College team, but as I said, the College Allstars used to play the NFL Championship team in an exhibition game & those games were competitive.

Yes it was Allstars from College, not a team, but they played the best the NFL had to offer. I still think a College Championship team could beat a BAD NFL team.

Well they did have 1 of the best College teams.
Loaded with talent.

Skooby
05-01-2012, 09:21 AM

The improved pass rush should make the LB's look better as well, as opponents hurried offensive plays have a tendency to favor the entire defense in general.

I don't buy into the #1 / #2 / #3 WR theory in general because depending on coverage, anyone could be open. Sure there are players that tend to get open more often & can catch the ball but there's nothing that a wide-open WR shouldn't be able to do. The key thing is our QB needs to recognize who the defense is targeting & go another way, hell throw it to FJ if he's open.

ThunderGun
05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Getting back on topic:

yeah, idk....I think it's just "coach speak". No coach is going to come out and say "well our WR's are garbage, and our defense blows".

don137
05-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Dunno about that. As I read the OP's post, it was "you can't have enough young corner backs." I didn't see the word "need."

He is just echoing what any GM or HC would say. The rules are biased toward the pass game - and the big $ cbs get reflect that.
The summary stated how Chan said DB was not a need.

Mahdi
05-01-2012, 09:23 AM
They couldn't win but their defense would make it respectable.
Bama's offense and McCarron would get overwhelmed.
Similar to what Bama did to LSU in the NC game this year.
Yeah that's what I think would happen. Bama defense would keep it a low scoring game and their running game would eat up some clock. Sprinkle in a few high percentage throws to their big WR and you either win or lose narrowly.

stuckincincy
05-01-2012, 09:30 AM
yeah, idk....I think it's just "coach speak". No coach is going to come out and say "well our WR's are garbage, and our defense blows".

Chucky used to do it. I loved his post-game press conferences. And John McKay's famous utterance when he was asked about his team's execution - "I'm in favor of it." He was a colorful guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McKay_%28American_football%29

For old time BUF fans, Hank Bullough was quite a rip.

Captain gameboy
05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
It looks like Jake Long we soon be a FA for this reason. If not this year, then next when his contract is up. The Fins want to go to a more finesse fast OL rather the a physical OL they have been in the past.

This has come up a couple of times here in various threads.

The Dolphins GM specifically started a press conference addressing this issue and saying it wasn't true.
Evidently, he was miffed by a media report and began a draft presser with a statement about Long.
I read it in the Miami Herald, but here is a link from a different source that uses the same quote.
From Ireland:

"I'd like to clear the air on an article," the general manager told the South Florida Sun Sentinel. "I don't normally go overboard on media speculation. But last night I saw an article about Jake Long. I have plans to keep Jake Long here for a long time. So, let’s don’t get ahead of ourselves. ... We drafted Jonathan Martin to be a tackle on this football team, a right tackle on this football team. Let’s don’t speculate any further than that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828bd94b/article/dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland-no-plans-to-part-with-ot-jake-long

OpIv37
05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
What are you feelings about the draft?

they did focus on area's of need

they definitely focused on areas of need.

I don't know enough about the guys they chose to really comment on quality, but it is clear that they were looking to fill the most obvious holes.

The two things I question: trading up in the 3rd round, as they likely would have got their man anyway, and drafting a kicker in the 7th. But, neither of those things are severe enough to say the whole draft was bad.

better days
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
This has come up a couple of times here in various threads.

The Dolphins GM specifically started a press conference addressing this issue and saying it wasn't true.
Evidently, he was miffed by a media report and began a draft presser with a statement about Long.
I read it in the Miami Herald, but here is a link from a different source that uses the same quote.
From Ireland:

"I'd like to clear the air on an article," the general manager told the South Florida Sun Sentinel. "I don't normally go overboard on media speculation. But last night I saw an article about Jake Long. I have plans to keep Jake Long here for a long time. So, let’s don’t get ahead of ourselves. ... We drafted Jonathan Martin to be a tackle on this football team, a right tackle on this football team. Let’s don’t speculate any further than that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828bd94b/article/dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland-no-plans-to-part-with-ot-jake-long

Some people are easily misled. Reports are that the Fins are changing the style their OL plays & Long will not be a good fit for the new style. Add to that fact Martin has played LT in College & is better suited as a LT & the writing is on the wall for Long.

I think Ireland is looking to prop up Long in order to trade him, if a trade is not made before he becomes a FA, I doubt the Fins resign him. They may look to tag & trade him next year.

Captain gameboy
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Then you leak it.
You don't lead a press conference with an unnecessary statement that you know to be a lie.
Do that, and what little credibility Ireland has is gone, and most importantly that damage would be to remaining players.
There are many far greater ways to get a guy out there for other teams than this.

If you want to get something done in the NFL, you don't do it in a fan/media event. It isn't necessary.

better days
05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Then you leak it.
You don't lead a press conference with an unnecessary statement that you know to be a lie.
Do that, and what little credibility Ireland has is gone, and most importantly that damage would be to remaining players.
There are many far greater ways to get a guy out there for other teams than this.

If you want to get something done in the NFL, you don't do it in a fan/media event. It isn't necessary.

Well, I guess we will have to wait & see, but I'm not buying what Ireland is selling. ALL GMs lie about players from time to time.

ParanoidAndroid
05-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Getting back on topic:

Well, of course they didn't help. It was injuries that exposed the lack of depth.

YardRat
05-01-2012, 04:35 PM
It concerns me just a little bit that he didn't think the cornerback position was in need of upgrading. Of course it was.

better days
05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
It concerns me just a little bit that he didn't think the cornerback position was in need of upgrading. Of course it was.

Well, name me ONE position not in need of upgrading besides DT. And don't say RB, Fred is OLD & Spiller is not an every down back.

methos4ever
05-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Well, of course they didn't help. It was injuries that exposed the lack of depth.
And when I heard this interview yesterday this wasn't a "woe is me" thing about the injuries. In fact the hosts mentioned that to them there is a line between reasons and excuses and he was on the reasons side - meaning he wasn't explaining away the season as just the injuries but giving valid points on why it hurt them.