PDA

View Full Version : Jabar Gaffney is job hunting

Beebe's Kid
05-01-2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-release-jabar-gaffney/2012/05/01/gIQAZBG9tT_blog.html

Jabar Gaffney has been released.

I would grab him. He can't hurt, and while I love a Cinderella story, it would be nice to have a real NFL receiver in the mix.

Shanny is a wicked genius, though, and if he doesn't want Gaffney, he couldn't be any good...could he?

mikemac2001
05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
pass

Ed
05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I've heard of him too. Sign him!

The guy had almost 1000 yds playing with two terrible qb's.

Pinkerton Security
05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
He was actually pretty solid the last few years, I wouldnt be totally opposed but hes getting up there and is nothing more than a stop-gap solution.

ddaryl
05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Actually the guy is a pretty consistent receiver. He's 31 years old though.

Had a decent yard per catch average around 13.7 yds average the Last 3 seasons and he averaged over 60 catches during that span.

However Nix has passed up on similar available in FA for WR's so ?

Philagape
05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Let's sign every free agent receiver.

Buddo
05-01-2012, 01:29 PM

We won't quite do that, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't find a guy like Gaffney to come in for this year.
We might have got a 'burner' in the draft, but while I'm not desperately worried about the WR corps, there should be no doubt it could be upgraded, and an experienced guiy like Gaffney, who has pretty consistent production, might well be the type of upgrade they would look for - for this year at least.
Note, I wouldn't envision such a signing as being on anything more than a two year deal tops, but I do see it happening with someone.

justasportsfan
05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
IMO, Nix's MO is to sign guys they think could possibly be here for a long time. 31 might not be good for Nix.

Luisito23
05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
No, thank you.

He's too old, slow, and washed up.

YardRat
05-01-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm happy going to camp with the 12 guys we have right now.

better days
05-01-2012, 05:21 PM
As a VET WR, if he had ANYTHING left the Skins would have kept him to help RGIII develop. The fact they cut him speaks volumes about him IMO.

clumping platelets
05-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Jacoby Jones was just released by the Texans

The Jokeman
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Jacoby Jones was just released by the Texans
I'd take Jones over Gaffney as he has better size and arguably better speed.

Crisis
05-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Jacoby Jones sucks. He's Tim Anderson for Texan fans.

Beebe's Kid
05-01-2012, 07:09 PM
All the FA receivers suck...they got nothing on Marcus Easley and Kamar Aiken.

I don't give a **** if guys like Gaffney and Jones do suck...let them prove it in camp, and if Hagen, Ruvell Martin, and Roosevelt can beat them...they have the job.

31 is hardly washed up, and what would it hurt to get a guy that has caught balls in the NFL on the roster? Give him a one year deal, and get the "long term" guy next year. We obviously couldn't fit a WR into the plans thus far, so we take a flyer on a guy like Gaffney.

I would rather have Jones, too, for what it is worth. It is also funny how the part about "he's no good because the Redskins released him" was just ignored. Shannahan is a genius with Elway playing QB, but has shown to be a reactionary coach with personel, who can't seem to win football games.

The "they would keep him for RGIII" is romantic, but the guy did nothing but produce for them last year, they brought in a couple FA's, notably Garcon, and have Santana Moss coming back. I would take either of them over Gaffney...I just wouldn't put the fait of the Buffalo WR core on the back of Donald Jones.

Beebe's Kid
05-01-2012, 07:13 PM

That is just nuts...we have superstars waiting to be featured on the Diamond in the Rough segment. Why would we want real NFL receivers...where's the feel-good story in that?

For the record, I have never started a thread about "we should sign this guy." I did start this one because we need WR. It was also not because I'd heard of him, but because he is a productive WR, who is going to be looking to prove he's still got it...that is just our kind of guy.

gr8slayer
05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I'd at least bring him in for a work out, what do you have to lose?

BillsOverDolphins
05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
No, especially to Jacoby Jones. Texans fans are partying tonight b/c his ass is gone.

gr8slayer
05-01-2012, 07:31 PM
No, especially to Jacoby Jones. Texans fans are partying tonight b/c his ass is gone.
They are really down on him because at one time, he really showed a lot of promise. There will be a team (think Redskins) that will likely fall in love with his "potential" and overpay for him.

BillsOverDolphins
05-01-2012, 07:37 PM
They are really down on him because at one time, he really showed a lot of promise. There will be a team (think Redskins) that will likely fall in love with his "potential" and overpay for him.
Yup...when you have Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, and Arian Foster getting all the attention you should be able to make a much greater impact than what he did. Major red flag that he couldn't get separation from every team's #2 and 3 CB's.

gr8slayer
05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Yup...when you have Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, and Arian Foster getting all the attention you should be able to make a much greater impact than what he did. Major red flag that he couldn't get separation from every team's #2 and 3 CB's.
When you have talent like that though, you'll get a second chance with someone. From what I understand, the guy simply isn't very mature at all, and it really holds him back.

better days
05-01-2012, 10:26 PM
All the FA receivers suck...they got nothing on Marcus Easley and Kamar Aiken.

I don't give a **** if guys like Gaffney and Jones do suck...let them prove it in camp, and if Hagen, Ruvell Martin, and Roosevelt can beat them...they have the job.

31 is hardly washed up, and what would it hurt to get a guy that has caught balls in the NFL on the roster? Give him a one year deal, and get the "long term" guy next year. We obviously couldn't fit a WR into the plans thus far, so we take a flyer on a guy like Gaffney.

I would rather have Jones, too, for what it is worth. It is also funny how the part about "he's no good because the Redskins released him" was just ignored. Shannahan is a genius with Elway playing QB, but has shown to be a reactionary coach with personel, who can't seem to win football games.

The "they would keep him for RGIII" is romantic, but the guy did nothing but produce for them last year, they brought in a couple FA's, notably Garcon, and have Santana Moss coming back. I would take either of them over Gaffney...I just wouldn't put the fait of the Buffalo WR core on the back of Donald Jones.

Well, Shanahan proved to be correct in getting rid of McNabb. He is done in the NFL. I trust Shannahan's judgement more now because of that.

With the roster increased for training camp, it would not hurt to bring in some WRs, but I would prefer they were younger guys with POTENTIAL myself.

don137
05-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Jacoby Jones got released by the Texans. He is a decent WR.

Beebe's Kid
05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, Shanahan proved to be correct in getting rid of McNabb. He is done in the NFL. I trust Shannahan's judgement more now because of that.

With the roster increased for training camp, it would not hurt to bring in some WRs, but I would prefer they were younger guys with POTENTIAL myself.
I think that a young guy, who we can count on to catch 60 passes would be a long shot. Gaffney doesn't have the potential to do that...he has the experience.

Potential is romantic, and we can bring in a bus load...I'm all for it. To pretend that there is a bunch of UDFA waiting to give you production like Gaffney...well, that is your opinion, I suppose. There are only 32 guys who led their NFL te in receiving last year...with Gaffney, we'd have two of them.

For a forum that cries about our misfortune as Bills fans, and bemoans the lack of talent, and always relying on the dented can aisle to pull our players from, it is an odd phenomenon that there are no players worthy of consideration of your extremely critical condemnation for failure to live up to your expectations. We wouldn't want to ruin that by having guys that enjoyed any amount of success at her pro level...not us. We know that Division VI back up centers turned kicker, turned receiver is where the real talent is...it was just waiting to get here via Sheboygan State, 4 years of stints on 7 practice squads, a stint season in the arena league, and some time bagging groceries. That is where you find your talent, I tell you. Real "POTENTIAL." not some fancy statistics, and a small, but very real body of work in the NFL...what was I thinking?

Roosevelt is our horse, if he don't ever win a race. I also forgot that you can take 70 snags for Easley to the bank. Then there is that other guy...remember he had that first down catch in the 4th Qtr of the 4th preseason game...well the ball bounced off of his hands for the 12th drop of the game, but the Redskins 7th string water boy was playing CB, and he tripped into him for the interference call...drawing the penalty...let's see Mr. Team Leader in Receptions and Yards to that!!!

There was a guy throwing the ball around outside of my apartment...just throwing it up and catching it, but he only dropped half if them...I don't need results...POTENTIAL...I know it when I see it. You see POTENTIAL win games every week. I don't know how many times you see experienced vets look good, only to not have enough unproven talent, hopes, dreams, and wishes of sticking on a roster for once in their 7 year game of musical practice squads show up week after week and decode games.

If we want to go to the Playoffs, we sure as **** aren't getting there with players who have successfully competed at any level higher than D XI, as a back up point guard on the hoops team. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we start a return to building this team like all the dynasties...not hard work and production...no, sir, but POTENTIAL.

Beebe's Kid
05-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Can you believe the Pats signed this guy? What a bunch of losers...he was on the market for about 24 hours. They could have signed a UDFA, and they went with this old, washed up guy. They will rue the day they signed him, when they could have gone practice squad fishing, and landed somebody with a long shot at being decent.

Do the Pats think they know more than Shanahan? He was a genius 15 years ago.