PDA

View Full Version : Vilma Suspended Entire 2012, Hargrove 8 games

ServoBillieves
05-02-2012, 11:09 AM
For those who remember, my name for about 2 years was "HargroveforMVP." The guy fought through his mental disorders and poured his heart in to the game. Now... Suspended for the first 8 games.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828cf1cf/article/saints-jonathan-vilma-suspended-for-2012-season?module=HP11_headline_stack

The current Packer's autograph is actually right in front of me at my desk right now. As details come in, I want to know how serious his role was in the process? He was a Seahawk last year, and has been nothing but rotational his entire career.

Vilma and Fujita I can completely understand, vocal and mental leaders, but Hargrove? He obstructed evidence, but then released a full written statement that helped with the investigation. I could understand a 3 or 4 game suspension but 8 seems a little lofty. Guess it's better than Jabari getting suspended...

Ed
05-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Maybe it's because he's had conduct issues in the past.

Beebe's Kid
05-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Maybe it's because he's had conduct issues in the past.
He was a scapegoat, who has a past that made him an easy target. Unfortunate, but the cries for action can be quieted by serving him as the sacrificial lamb.

I know that I have liked some obscure Bills over the years, but why Hargrove? You clearly could have made a better case than his legal team...

RedEyE
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Man these suspensions seem extremely high to me. I wonder if the Players Union was involved or if this was all Goodell?

If not, you have to think any appeal should decrease the suspension by about a 1/3.

Ed
05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
He was a scapegoat, who has a past that made him an easy target. Unfortunate, but the cries for action can be quieted by serving him as the sacrificial lamb.

I know that I have liked some obscure Bills over the years, but why Hargrove? You clearly could have made a better case than his legal team...
I think all of these guys are scapegoats, but when Goodell hands out suspensions, previous infractions are factored in. If Hargrove had had a clean past maybe he only gets 3-4 games.

Devin
05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Man these suspensions seem extremely high to me. I wonder if the Players Union was involved or if this was all Goodell?

If not, you have to think any appeal should decrease the suspension by about a 1/3.

I agree this is a bit ridiculous. There are no checks and balances in the NFl and this nonsense seems to get worse every year. These punishments were way out of line imo.

Its a non factor for the Saints outside of maybe Smith as Vilma had been replaced already but still, goodell is going a bit nuts.

Ed
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
I agree this is a bit ridiculous. There are no checks and balances in the NFl and this nonsense seems to get worse every year. These punishments were way out of line imo.

Its a non factor for the Saints outside of maybe Smith as Vilma had been replaced already but still, goodell is going a bit nuts.
Well you have to keep in mind that the NFL is getting hammered right now with multiple lawsuits related to player safety. So things like bounty systems look really bad. I'm pretty sure Goodell never wants to have to deal with an issue like this again so he has to come down hard and heavy to make that clear.

Buddo
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
TBH, I don't think any of the players mentioned are scapegoats. I think they are lucky they aren't simply summarily banned from the NFL for as long as it takes to finish their careers.
The idea that these 'players' should be seriously considering dragging the NFL through legal courts to get these bans challenged, is also derisory. Conspiracy to cause bodily harm, can quite possibly get you a larger amount of slammer time, than the bans the NFL has handed down.

As to the NFLPA,well, quite simply, they are pretty worthless, in even attempting to defend these guys, but that should come as no great surprise, as they've been trying to protect drug cheats for years, and continue to do so by delaying tests for hgh etc.

ServoBillieves
05-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Just laying it out plain and simple. I've met Anthony, and he's as kind hearted as they get. NOW, he's a vicious player, but this truly seems like throwing a player under the proverbial bus. I could understand Smith and Fujita... considered great players and actual starters, but Hargrove was rotational. He's gone through so much crap...

RedEyE
05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
I do beleive the punishment is steep but I'm conflicted on the overall issue.

Its football. If you are not playing like you want to rip the other guys head off, you're not playing the game right. And is there really any bigger incentive than money?

On the other hand I have a problem with cheap shots. Play with some integrity.

stuckincincy
05-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Goodell etc. reacts to any moment that might affect the money stream. Several years ago, Odell Thurman, MLB CIN did the right thing after suspension - went to the drinker's classes, met with the judge, got praise for cleaning up, etc. IIRC, he missed the last meeting with the judge, and a few days later, Roger gave him another year. The Vick case was out there, and Thurman got swept into that - the NFL pr image wonks were back peddling in high gear. High dudgeon was everywhere.

blackonyx89
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
( Fred Flintstone impression), VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! LOL!!!!
:p:

don137
05-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I remember going to training camp when Hargrove was playing for the Bills. He was signing autographs and he yelled at the rookies (Lynch, Poz) to get over to the fence and sign autographs with him which they did so reluctantly.

better days
05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Hargrove injured Favre on an ILLEGAL hit it the NFC Championship game. A hit we all now know was a BOUNTY HIT. If Favre does not get injured, the Saints could have easily lost that game. I think that is the reason for his punishment.

Marvelous
05-02-2012, 01:48 PM
I like the commish teaching these idiots what accountability means. Most of us would be fired for the dumb bs.
-it kills me to hear any fans giving any credibility to these players voicing their opinions. Like the saints TE, Bush, etc.
--yeah let's make thugs instant millionaires and see how they behave.
-it's very obvious the difference between say Peyton manning acts and Henry & MCGahee etc.

ServoBillieves
05-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I like the commish teaching these idiots what accountability means. Most of us would be fired for the dumb bs.
-it kills me to hear any fans giving any credibility to these players voicing their opinions. Like the saints TE, Bush, etc.
--yeah let's make thugs instant millionaires and see how they behave.
-it's very obvious the difference between say Peyton manning acts and Henry & MCGahee etc.

-i am surprised that for making a football play once makes him credible for penalty. he haz done nothing but produce and plays the game. Evry team that has evar played shuld look at those tymes that Favre was hit. Arthur Moats should be suspended for sacking a QB.
-- thugs are the NFL. Over half the players get their pay by not being in the trenches. Haynsworth withstanding, what was the worst thing you saw a lineman do recently?
- the man had severe (wait for it, it's a BIG word!) psychological issues, which he did a great job overcoming. ---#-- He did everything he was told to do. If he followed orders while making millions, I believe that any sane/non-moron would do the same. I hate to stick up for that treatment but it's the truth. Wave $2000 in your face and decline it. Can't? Didn't think so.

The NFL has become a severe mind twist. Players with talent don't know whether to go with morals or what gets the big bucks.

I would love a logical response.

dannyek71
05-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Hate to keep harking on this....

How many games was BB suspended for?

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2012, 02:46 PM

That did not involve the intentional injuring of players.

The two situations are not really comprable.

better days
05-02-2012, 02:56 PM
-i am surprised that for making a football play once makes him credible for penalty. he haz done nothing but produce and plays the game. Evry team that has evar played shuld look at those tymes that Favre was hit. Arthur Moats should be suspended for sacking a QB.
-- thugs are the NFL. Over half the players get their pay by not being in the trenches. Haynsworth withstanding, what was the worst thing you saw a lineman do recently?
- the man had severe (wait for it, it's a BIG word!) psychological issues, which he did a great job overcoming. ---#-- He did everything he was told to do. If he followed orders while making millions, I believe that any sane/non-moron would do the same. I hate to stick up for that treatment but it's the truth. Wave $2000 in your face and decline it. Can't? Didn't think so.

The NFL has become a severe mind twist. Players with talent don't know whether to go with morals or what gets the big bucks.

Well, Gregg told him to take Favre out & he would be PAID. HE did what he was told to do. He DESERVES his suspension. It was a DIRTY ILLEGAL hit. BOTH low & after the whistle blew. IMO, he should have been suspended an entire year.

Luisito23
05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Boo hoooo, cry me a river...

People feel sorry for these idiots, why?...

Play by the rules, and none of this happens.

better days
05-02-2012, 03:32 PM

HUGE difference between the Moats hit on Favre & Hargroves hit. Moats hit was LEGAL. Hargroves hit was DIRTY, ILLEGAL & a BOUNTY HIT.

I am a AMAZED you could even compare the two hits.

better days
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Just heard on NFL Network, Hargroves name was one of the FIRST mentioned by players from opposing teams as being a player making BOUNTY HITS.

Maybe he needed the money.

thenry20
05-03-2012, 05:27 AM

I hope you don't have kids. Would you even blink if your children were targeted in the same manner?

To ruin a man's life and his livelihood is beyond stupid and moronic---it's evil!!!

Greg and Sean need to be suspended a year for every year this took place.

thenry20
05-03-2012, 05:42 AM

Good grief those are two very different things!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-03-2012, 05:56 AM
this sounds cold but i could not care less about who got suspended for how long. it just is not important to me.

Extremebillsfan247
05-03-2012, 07:09 AM

According to the NFLPA, Goodell has yet to present them with any concrete evidence of wrong doing by these players. It doesn't mean it didn't happen though. I would imagine the suspensions come straight from Goodell. He has full intention on making an example of them as they appeared to be key pieces in the bounty scandal. Unfortunately for them, and the NFLPA, all appeals on conduct detrimental to the NFL go back to the Commissioner who suspended them. There isn't much on the legal front that can be done to reduce these suspensions if Goodell decides after hearing appeals to uphold them.

As far as whether I think these suspensions are extreme or not, I'm not sure they are extreme enough. If evidence is strong enough to induce suspensions I'd be for it even if it were the Bills getting caught. We can't have that kind of thing in the NFL. It destroys the integrity of the sport. Not to mention, it also disrupts the competitive balance of the league. There would be no more super stars in the NFL if it were allowed to continue. Every player would want to be average as to not be targeted by a pay for cart off program by another team. The NFL would be awful to watch. JMO