X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • #1 pick
    • Mar 2010

Vince Young fan here.

I have been a VY fan for years. Not my favorite player but a fan nonetheless. Either way, I haven't been surprised by what happened in Tenn. Fisher and him never seen eye to eye. VY isn't Fisher's type of QB, not smart enough. VY gets a bad rap for his IQ but his Football intellect is on par with guys like Big Ben, Bradshaw, Jake Plummer, Cunningham, etc. He has had some mental issues in Tenn with not dealing with mistreatment well but more than not, a lot of people have those issues in that situation. You don't believe me, find a disgruntle worker with bosses who hate them and see where his mental stake is at. Not very good generally speaking. I am personally not a Bills fan nor am I even a Fitzpatrick fan. I personally think Fitz is in the same tier with Kyle Orton and to be honest, I think Orton is better. I don't think Fitz is QB who can take you far. Maybe the team can but not Fitz. I personally think he is an average QB like Orton. Stat wise they look the same.

I look at Vince in the same way I look at Matt Ryan, Hasslebeck, and Brad Johnson. Very talented or skilled players who need a lot of support. VY to me is a game manager who needs the run establish and to be a Super Bowl winning QB, he needs a very good to elite defense. Some what like Johnson and Ryan. Now he is a lot more talented than Ryan and Hasslebeck but those two are extremely smart. While VY is more so at the bottom in terms of NFL starters with Big Ben and others.

VY is accurate on short range and deep range passes. VY can extend plays. VY is very clutch. VY has a winners genes. VY gives you team a chance to win the game and can win the game for you. VY isn't very intelligent. VY can't carry a team like a Brady or Manning can. VY will likely never be an elite QB.

Read this from two years ago:

In his first four NFL seasons (2006-09), amassed a 26-13 regular season record as a starter. His .667 winning percentage qualified as the best regular season winning percentage in franchise history and the fourth best among quarterbacks drafted between 2000-2009 (Brady, Rivers and Roethlisberger).
    • Has engineered 11 career game-winning performances, leading his team to victory after a fourth-quarter deficit or tie, including six times in 2009.
    • Started the final 10 games of the 2009 season, leading the team to an 8-2 finish after the club began the campaign 0-6. Named to the Pro Bowl after completing 152 of 259 passes for 1,879 yards with 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions for a career-high 82.8 passer rating.
    • In 2007, directed the team to Wild Card playoff berth, becoming 11th quarterback drafted in first round since 1983 to lead his team to playoffs within his first two seasons.
    • In 2006, was named Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, Pro Football Weekly/Pro Football Writers of America Offensive Rookie of the Year, Sports Illustrated Rookie of the Year, Sporting News Rookie of the Year and Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year (fan voting) after setting every rookie passing record for the franchise, completing 184 of 357 passes for 2,199 yards and 12 touchdowns.
    • Additionally gained 552 yards on 83 rushing attempts (6.7 avg.) in 2006, becoming first quarterback in Super Bowl era (1966-present) to rush for 500 yards as rookie. Tied for team high with seven rushing touchdowns, also first for a rookie quarterback in Super Bowl era.
    Before hurting his thumb he was having his best season 98.6 QB rating a whopping 16 points higher than his previous career best. In (2009QB Rating 82.8)
    He completed a respectable 60 percent of his passes And win record of 30/17.

And last but not lease is lack of studying film and reading defense and running the offense and leadership. Well let look at that how does a QB in the NFL improves his skills in his QB rating 82.8 to 98.6 in one season. How does a QB take 0-6 team and go 8-2 without leadership now these are the same players who went 0-6.
    There is no outright admission that Young wasn’t as studious as he needed to be earlier in his career. But read what offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and Collins have to say about Young’s study habits now and connect the dots. “I think his work habits have been great,” Heimerdinger said.
    “He’s been spending the time, he’s been studying it. If I put something in new on Wednesday and he struggles with it, he comes back Thursday and has it down cold. He’s really working at it, he’s doing the things that you are supposed to do. He’s got to be taking it home and studying it. If I’ve got a real wordy formation and play, he has it down cold the next day. The stuff I always wondered if he’d do, he’s doing.”
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Three days after what could be a career-defining win and what qualified as a reputation-restoring drive, Vince Young found himself surrounded by a bigger crowd than usual Wednesday after practice.

Soon to be former Titans QB Vince Young posted the fourth best passer rating on third down in the league last season.The quarterbacks in front of Young were Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, and Jon Kitna. Behind V.Y. were Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Michael Vick, and Philip Rivers in that order. Young played in nine games with eight starts, so it isn't like this is a small sample size.
    The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

And Young can be that stud. He has done everything well at times during his career. He’s staged comebacks. He’s been an effective short passer. He’s been an effective long passer – in fact, according to the film-scouring crew at ProFootballFocus.com, Young was the league’s best deep passer in 2010. Not Peyton Manning or Philip Rivers. But Vince Young.
    And he’s led a ball-control offense without taking sacks or turning the ball over.
    The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.
    Last edited by #1 pick; 05-03-2012, 12:44 AM.
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Re: Vince Young fan here.

whoa...Vince Young is that you??
    Last edited by Buffalogic; 05-03-2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

Great read for what will be a backup. I want Thig gone as much as the next but Vince feels like a pipe dream. Fitzy is our QB. Let's get someone.
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• bluerosekiller
        • Jul 2008

Why would signing Young be a "pipe dream"?
        How so?
        Last I knew, there wasn't a long list of teams looking to bring him in.
        So, he's obviously available.
        If he's willing to take what The Bills offer him when/if they do decide they want him as a back up, it could turn out to be a good situation for him. Instead of hopping from team to team every season or sitting at home unemployed waiting for some team to call when there's an injury to their starter for the rest of his career, he could settle in to a steady situation here.
        It would keep him in the league, give him the opportunity to see the field with some regularity in WC situations & rehabilitate his image should he do a goos job here, so that maybe, at some point in the future, someone might give him a chance to be a starter again.
        Who knows? It could happen.
        I trust that if Gaily sensed any hint of trouble from the guy he certainly would NOT offer him an opportunity here. So, if the front office makes Young an offer, I'd be happy if he took it.

Comment

• thenry20
          • Jan 2004

Now that was a funny read. I'm sorry but VY lacks muscle between the ears. After all these years in the pros you'd think he'd learn how to read defenses but has not. The guy is a flash in the pan IMHO. Buffalo doesn't need him. Gailey's offense is much too complicated for him to decipher.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
            • May 2003

Geez, that was a little too long for a guy who hasn't signed yet. We have nothing to do whether the dude signs or not.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

My condolences.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

The Madden Curse got him, his head game is effed. Maybe a few years off helped him, who knows?

Comment

• acehole
                  • Jan 2006

Vince Young would have to be an incentive laden deal with little bonus.

We need him but on a short leash.

If he messes up he will be gone at little or no cost.

That the way I see it.

If he messes up he knows it might be his last gig.

I am all for second chances.

If he pans out could be greatest offseason pick up.

Hard to know what his demeanor is...I am sure management does and they will do correct thing.
                  Last edited by acehole; 05-03-2012, 06:44 AM.
                  Hated by the stupid..
                  Loved by their moms.

Comment

• acehole
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by thenry20
                    Now that was a funny read. I'm sorry but VY lacks muscle between the ears. After all these years in the pros you'd think he'd learn how to read defenses but has not. The guy is a flash in the pan IMHO. Buffalo doesn't need him. Gailey's offense is much too complicated for him to decipher.
                    I disagree. There is a pimary ...route...It is simple there are a few progressions and a hot route.

Big deal.

Hike...throw 10 feet on crossing route...2nd down...hand off....Third down quick out...

first down.
                    Hated by the stupid..
                    Loved by their moms.

Comment

• bluerosekiller
                      • Jul 2008

Yes, we ALL know about his woeful test scores before the draft & are well aware of his emotional breakdowns while starting for The Titans. But, two things to consider.

He's not being asked to match wits with Fitz.
                      Or produce an endorsement from Dr. Phil saying that he's fit to play the game now.
                      All that will be asked of him should the front office decide to offer him a contract, is that he shows up to camp to compete for a position as a back up QB.
                      And, If he does so to the best of his ability, I'm pretty sure that he'll earn the spot behind Fitz as QB #2. And, if that happens, IMO it will be a much needed upgrade from the individual that currently holds that spot.

Comment

• #1 pick
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bluerosekiller
                        Why would signing Young be a "pipe dream"?
                        How so?
                        Last I knew, there wasn't a long list of teams looking to bring him in.
                        So, he's obviously available.
                        If he's willing to take what The Bills offer him when/if they do decide they want him as a back up, it could turn out to be a good situation for him. Instead of hopping from team to team every season or sitting at home unemployed waiting for some team to call when there's an injury to their starter for the rest of his career, he could settle in to a steady situation here.
                        It would keep him in the league, give him the opportunity to see the field with some regularity in WC situations & rehabilitate his image should he do a goos job here, so that maybe, at some point in the future, someone might give him a chance to be a starter again.
                        Who knows? It could happen.
                        I trust that if Gaily sensed any hint of trouble from the guy he certainly would NOT offer him an opportunity here. So, if the front office makes Young an offer, I'd be happy if he took it.
                        If he wants a starting job and none are available. The teams he is likely looking at are teams with a shaky starter who VY is better than and Buffalo is one of them.

Originally posted by thenry20
                        VY is not JaMarcus, he doesn't have issues reading a defense. That is a misnomer. Him not being very intelligent is more like Big Ben than someone who doesn't read defenses well or even care like Vick or JaMarcus.
                        Last edited by #1 pick; 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

VY is unstable, which instills little confidence from me.

Comment

• #1 pick
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bluerosekiller
                            Yes, we ALL know about his woeful test scores before the draft & are well aware of his emotional breakdowns while starting for The Titans. But, two things to consider.

He's not being asked to match wits with Fitz.
                            Or produce an endorsement from Dr. Phil saying that he's fit to play the game now.
                            All that will be asked of him should the front office decide to offer him a contract, is that he shows up to camp to compete for a position as a back up QB.
                            And, If he does so to the best of his ability, I'm pretty sure that he'll earn the spot behind Fitz as QB #2. And, if that happens, IMO it will be a much needed upgrade from the individual that currently holds that spot.
                            This is presently true. I mean we all know Fitz is one of the smartest players in the NFL while VY is mid tier in this regard. VY is smarter than Heath Shuler in terms of Football IQ but nowhere close to the Matt Ryan's or Matt Birk's of the world in terms of smarts. Then again this is football, not who is our Fortune 500 company's next CEO.

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Nothing he did at Philly and Texas says he is unstable. He is liable to say stupid s**t. Like as a backup in the preseason he said he will be a HOF QB. In Philly when he signed, he called them "the Dream Team". Making stupid comments, he would be right in same alley with Flacco and other delusional QB's but VY does take the cake.

To another poster, VY scored a 15 and Dan Marino and Terry Bradshaw scored a 16 on the wonderlic. McNabb scored a 14. It seem like people forget that is VY's real score. When you run a 40 yard dash, don't they go by your highest score as well as other standards of test scoring.
                            Last edited by #1 pick; 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Very understandable & probably the only reason he is not starting on some team now. Young has the tools to be an NFL starter & anyone that watched him play should see that.

The question is can he be counted on to be even keeled & stable in the locker room.

Comment

Working...
                              X