PDA

View Full Version : This was the worst pick of the draft.....

k-oneputt
05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Punter Bryan Anger from Cal.picked in 3rd rd. by the Jaquars of all teams.

Are you kidding me. One of the worst teams in the league wastes a pick on a punter for a guy that may of been a starter.

That owner should have fired that gm on the spot.

ServoBillieves
05-03-2012, 10:16 AM
This was a given K, why make a thread about it?

Dr. Lecter
05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah, they should have drafted a punter from the SEC instead........

k-oneputt
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Even that would have been stupid.

Another GM showing us how smart he is and his team stinks. Makes sense.

Skooby
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Drafting a punter in the 3rd is the kicker, lol.

k-oneputt
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
This was a given K, why make a thread about it?

Why not. There are pages on D-3 qb's.

At least the punter will be in the league opening day.

Pinkerton Security
05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I didnt know this, so thanks for making the thread.

Easily one of the worst picks I've seen. Punters can make big impacts on games, but punters can also be picked up off waivers and STILL make an impact. The Jags seem to be clueless.

CleveSteve
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
still a better pick than Tannehill.

Joe Fo Sho
05-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Well, he's probably going to be their most important player this year.

k-oneputt
05-03-2012, 10:37 AM

I'm just glad the Bills didn't get crazy and move up for him.
I really wasn't that impressed with him at Tex. A&M.

Dozerdog
05-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Jaguars punt a lot- so it might be worth it.

In retrospect- Moorman has outlasted a TON of 3rd round picks selected by the Bills.

That being sad- they could have gotten him later

k-oneputt
05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Well, he's probably going to be their most important player this year.

He will get plenty of work.
I'm sure they probably could have gotten him a little later in the draft though.
Either way terrible move to waste on a punter. find your punter in free agency.
Is he really that much better then the free agent punter we signed from Fla. St. ?

Jaydog57
05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
They must have seen something they liked in him. Everybody thought Al Davis was nuts for drafting punter Ray Guy in the first round years ago and it worked out pretty good for him.

k-oneputt
05-03-2012, 10:51 AM
The riaders weren't the worst team in the league though. They were in the play-offs every year and their team was set.
Way different circumstances.
Either way I'm glad that it pushes another good player down to us and that the Bills no longer make these stupid moves. Let Jax. take over for this type of stuff.

stuckincincy
05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
They must have seen something they liked in him. Everybody thought Al Davis was nuts for drafting punter Ray Guy in the first round years ago and it worked out pretty good for him.

CIN picked a local lad, P Kevin Huber in the '09 5th round. He's a decent punter.

stuckincincy
05-03-2012, 10:58 AM

CIN picked a local lad, P Kevin Huber in the '09 5th round.

SabreEleven
05-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Redskins drafting Cousin was a pretty bad pick...

don137
05-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Drafting Cousins by Washington was a dumb pick after not having a second rounder, drafting RGIII and having many holes to fill. Nothing like taking a guy that will not even see the field when you have so many holes. At least the punter will get on the field 5+ times a game for Jax.

mikemac2001
05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Redskins drafting Cousin was a pretty bad pick...

Wow way off

can never have to many QB's and to think your QB is never going to be injured is crazy (why we should sign young) but in the 4th RD and the ability to develop him as a solid backup and trade bait. Ill agree the pick might not help them now but in the long run yes and in the 4th rd i called it

SabreEleven
05-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Wow way off

can never have to many QB's and to think your QB is never going to be injured is crazy (why we should sign young) but in the 4th RD and the ability to develop him as a solid backup and trade bait. Ill agree the pick might not help them now but in the long run yes and in the 4th rd i called it

It must be nice for a team be in such great shape they can draft backups. I guess they are set at every other position on the team.

mikemac2001
05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
It must be nice for a team be in such great shape they can draft backups. I guess they are set at every other position on the team.

what did we do?

we drafted 3 OL and 2CB and 2LB

you dont draft for the current season you draft for the future as well.

EricStratton
05-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I've heard the Jags were set to draft T.J. Graham and they may have panicked a bit.

It happens.

#1 pick
05-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Anger was a good pick due the value of field position in today's NFL.

SabreEleven
05-03-2012, 11:40 AM
what did we do?

we drafted 3 OL and 2CB and 2LB

you dont draft for the current season you draft for the future as well.

They drafted for the future....in the 1st round. You can only put one QB on the field at time...you put muliple OL's, CB and LB's on the field at time. Rookie backing up a Rookie at the most important position on the field? Dumb pick. Sign a veteran for your backup.

CleveSteve
05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow way off

John Gruden, is that you?

ThunderGun
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I have to wonder if they wanted TJ Graham.

We were supposed to pick right after Jacksonville. Instead, we traded up 2 spots to leap-frog them, we draft Graham, and they draft a freaking Punter. Could it be that they wanted Graham (seems like a Mularkey pickup), then panicked and took the guy they planned on taking in the 4th round?

IDK, it's pure speculation on my part....but i just can't figure out why they would take a punter in the 3rd, and why we traded up 2 spots for Graham. Maybe the two are connected. I'm not complaining about us trading up, by the way. Most of the good WR's were gone. If we wanted Graham, and we were afraid of losing out on him, it's worth a 7th to make sure that we get him.

don137
05-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I have to wonder if they wanted TJ Graham.

We were supposed to pick right after Jacksonville. Instead, we traded up 2 spots to leap-frog them, we draft Graham, and they draft a freaking Punter. Could it be that they wanted Graham (seems like a Mularkey pickup), then panicked and took the guy they planned on taking in the 4th round?

IDK, it's pure speculation on my part....but i just can't figure out why they would take a punter in the 3rd, and why we traded up 2 spots for Graham. Maybe the two are connected. I'm not complaining about us trading up, by the way. Most of the good WR's were gone. If we wanted Graham, and we were afraid of losing out on him, it's worth a 7th to make sure that we get him.
If that was the case the Jags must have a bad scouting department to not have a backup position player.

HopefulBillsFan
05-03-2012, 01:31 PM
you don't think his impact on field position is more useful to the Jags, then some of the other players people think they should have selected?

ik this can turn into a very open ended debate but if thats who they wanted, or had in mind with the pick, then so be it.

Mike13
05-03-2012, 02:04 PM

It took 8 posts for the Miami bashing to start, you guys have lost your touch.

mikemac2001
05-03-2012, 02:40 PM
They drafted for the future....in the 1st round. You can only put one QB on the field at time...you put muliple OL's, CB and LB's on the field at time. Rookie backing up a Rookie at the most important position on the field? Dumb pick. Sign a veteran for your backup.

Ya and QB is the most important player on the field, id rather have a 1a and 1b then a dropoff...Did you watch the bears fall apart, did you see the bills after fitz injury.

Dont try to tell me some backup OL would be more important then a backup QB and who is saying RG 3 is a lock to succeed. they felt they couldnt pass on the player at that spot they followed there board and they picked a player in the most important position.

oh and drafting for the future in the 1st rd i would think the 1st rd is for now and the rest of the picks are for the future

DraftBoy
05-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Former Eagles, Browns, and Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah said on Twitter today that when he texted a pro personnell director in the league about Anger. The response was that Anger will become one of the five best players taken in this round.

Mr. Pink
05-03-2012, 03:37 PM
It took 8 posts for the Miami bashing to start, you guys have lost your touch.

You do realize it was a Browns fan who took that jab, not even a Bills fan.

Mr. Pink
05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Speaking of the Browns they may have made the worst draft pick in this draft by selecting Chris Weinke Part Deux in the first round.

tampabay25690
05-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Are Punter was the MVP for the Bills for how many years????

Punters are very important

stuckincincy
05-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Yes, they are. If I got a new franchise, my priorities would be punter, center, mlb.

YardRat
05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
"He's not just a kicker, he's a weapon!!"

Mr. Pink
05-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Chris Gardocki was the Browns MVP for 5 years.

If you're a young team with not a lot of talent, having a good punter is a must.

YardRat
05-03-2012, 04:43 PM
1000 zonebux says Anger plays longer and is more productive for the Jags than Graham is for the Bills.

Mr. Pink
05-03-2012, 04:47 PM
1000 zonebux says Anger plays longer and is more productive for the Jags than Graham is for the Bills.

Anyone who takes that bet is a sucker.

And allegedly, there's one born every minute.

k-oneputt
05-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Former Eagles, Browns, and Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah said on Twitter today that when he texted a pro personnell director in the league about Anger. The response was that Anger will become one of the five best players taken in this round.

LOl. Still a punter.

k-oneputt
05-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes, they are. If I got a new franchise, my priorities would be punter, center, mlb.

Then you are clueless.

CleveSteve
05-03-2012, 09:58 PM

lol that's building from the inside-out!:lol:

Beebe
05-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Maybe they have a play with two punters to fake everybody out. lol

gr8slayer
05-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I see what you did there.

CleveSteve
05-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Eric Mangini, is that you?

gr8slayer
05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
LOl. Still a punter.
Honestly though, if he turns out to be the next Lechler, I'd draft him in round two. Especially when you're putting an offense as bad as the Jaguar's offense on the field every week.

DraftBoy
05-04-2012, 07:30 AM
LOl. Still a punter.

Yes and a punter can completely change the game if he's a good one. Bills fans should know that more than anybody. You act like they drafted a long snapper in Round 3. No disrespect to Garrison Sanborn.

Jan Reimers
05-04-2012, 07:36 AM
The only thing worse for k-oneputt would have been a punter from a SMALL SCHOOL.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
You guys are funny.

I have the worst team in football but I will make sure I have my punter.

My God the Bills front office the past 10 yrs must be wearing off on you.

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Yes and a punter can completely change the game if he's a good one. Bills fans should know that more than anybody. You act like they drafted a long snapper in Round 3. No disrespect to Garrison Sanborn.

If you ever dare to disrespect Sanborn you WILL be banend.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Who here wants to deny I was right about the SEC players over the small school wonders.....step up.

I didn't think so.

Thank-you Buddy and Chan for bringing football knowledge and sanity to this dysfunctional organization.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 07:51 AM
If this Anger avg's 45 yds a kick and my kicker avgs 42 yds but I drafted a player in the 3rd that contributes who is ahead ??????

On a terrible team to boot. WTF is wrong with some of you ?

There is a reason some teams suck every year. That would have been a Jauron/Modrak move.

Extremebillsfan247
05-04-2012, 07:53 AM
If he turns out to be the next Ray Guy then he's probably worth it. Guy was drafted 23rd overall in 1973 by the Raiders. He's considered one of the top 10 greatest draft steals of all time.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Greatest punter ever and still not in the HOF.

And football was different then. No free agency. That team was built already.

How about Janikowski, they used a 1st rder on him, good pick ?

LOL, I think we all know it was a bad dumb pick.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 07:59 AM
It's not that Anger can't be a great punter but that's the point, he plays a position that is probably the least valuable.
And they drafted him to early making it even worse.

Dozerdog
05-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Speaking of the Browns they may have made the worst draft pick in this draft by selecting Chris Weinke Part Deux in the first round.

Yeah- they were holding better cards than the Redskins and could have easily had RGIII and still had extra picks in a WR rich draft to surround him with some weapons

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Who here wants to deny I was right about the SEC players over the small school wonders.....step up.

I didn't think so.

Thank-you Buddy and Chan for bringing football knowledge and sanity to this dysfunctional organization.
As usual you miss the point.

Nobody is saying that there are not, in general, better players in the SEC.

What we do say is that the SEC is not the only source. We also say that small schools should not be ignored.

You would have London Fletcher never getting a shot. Or Kurt Warner. Or Fred Jackson.

That is the point

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
As usual you miss the point.

Nobody is saying that there are not, in general, better players in the SEC.

What we do say is that the SEC is not the only source. We also say that small schools should not be ignored.

You would have London Fletcher never getting a shot. Or Kurt Warner. Or Fred Jackson.

That is the point

Again you've missed the point.
The Bills went overboard drafting these "wonders" who all sucked by the way, except McGee over the last ten years.
Now Buddy is concentrating on the South and big conferences with much better results. Big shock there I know.
I have nothing against a late rd pick here or there, or even better a free agent from the "wonder" schools. Which is what Freddie, Warner, and Fletcher were. FREE AGENTS.

DraftBoy
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Again you've missed the point.
The Bills went overboard drafting these "wonders" who all sucked by the way, except McGee over the last ten years.
Now Buddy is concentrating on the South and big conferences with much better results. Big shock there I know.
I have nothing against a late rd pick here or there, or even better a free agent from the "wonder" schools. Which is what Freddie, Warner, and Fletcher were. FREE AGENTS.

You're saying that here, but *****ing about it earlier. Either you don't really believe that or you have a really bi-polar way of showing it.

Extremebillsfan247
05-04-2012, 10:32 AM
It's not that Anger can't be a great punter but that's the point, he plays a position that is probably the least valuable.
And they drafted him to early making it even worse. 1 of the staples to the Bills success in the early 90's was great special teams play. Punters and even kickers are especially vital to a Team's success. We learned how important kickers are to the game last year when Lindell went down to injury.

My point is, just because they are not high profile positions doesn't mean they lack importance. The least valuable position on any team is always going to be your depth positions because they are replaceable parts. Most teams only career 1 kicker, 1 punter into a season. Any one of them goes down, and your team is practically forced into changing their game plan. JMO

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 11:22 AM
You're saying that here, but *****ing about it earlier. Either you don't really believe that or you have a really bi-polar way of showing it.

What are you talking about ?

I think I've been clear about my feelings about drafting all these small school kids that can't play.

you can't spend half your draft on these guys. A mid/late rd. pick here or there fine.
You spend half your draft on the "diamond in the rough" {see 2010 draft} and they all stink you are in trouble.
Look at the Bills decade of the 2000's, what are they 1 for 20{McGee}.
What was the Bills record again ?
And you think 3rd rd pick on a punter is a good pick. JJJEEEZZUUSS.
I fell like I'm talking football with my wife.

DraftBoy
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
What are you talking about ?

I think I've been clear about my feelings about drafting all these small school kids that can't play.

you can't spend half your draft on these guys. A mid/late rd. pick here or there fine.
You spend half your draft on the "diamond in the rough" {see 2010 draft} and they all stink you are in trouble.
Look at the Bills decade of the 2000's, what are they 1 for 20{McGee}.
What was the Bills record again ?
And you think 3rd rd pick on a punter is a good pick. JJJEEEZZUUSS.
I fell like I'm talking football with my wife.

Not what Im talking about. You were just *****ing the other day about people being excited about Tanney being brought in. Then you say you don't care if they are brought in as FA when you clearly have an issue with at least that one. Let people get excited, who know what he'll become.

Meathead
05-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Drafting a punter in the 3rd is the kicker.
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/149/rimshote.jpg

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Not what Im talking about. You were just *****ing the other day about people being excited about Tanney being brought in. Then you say you don't care if they are brought in as FA when you clearly have an issue with at least that one. Let people get excited, who know what he'll become.

Because Tanney is a camp arm. If you guys can't see that or understand that so be it.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
A free agent like Delano Howell has a legit shot to make the team imo.

Tanney no.
And if by some longshot he did, he would be #3 and wouldn't play anyways.

Howell will contribute if he sticks.

JCBills
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
A free agent like Delano Howell has a legit shot to make the team imo.

Tanney no.
And if by some longshot he did, he would be #3 and wouldn't play anyways.

Howell will contribute if he sticks.

Whats it like?

Knowing what will happen before it will, that is.

DraftBoy
05-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Because Tanney is a camp arm. If you guys can't see that or understand that so be it.

Yes and you have no problem bringing in Small Schoolers even as FA. Sure...

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Yes and you have no problem bringing in Small Schoolers even as FA. Sure...

He's meaningless because he's not making it.

Do you even understand what they do bringing in a camp arm ?

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Whats it like?

Knowing what will happen before it will, that is.

Way ahead of you that's for sure.