PDA

View Full Version : The Sport of Hockey...

gr8slayer
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
I've never had a great respect for the sport in general. Truth be told, I've never actually given it a fair chance. A few weeks ago I was engaging in a business outing, and one of my customers is an avid Flyers fan, so I was basically "forced" to watch for the first time. I can't remember the last time I watched a sport that wasn't football as closely as I watch the Flyers vs. Penguins series. Since that night, I've become a Stanley Cup Playoffs fiend, and have probably watched about 20 hockey games in the past few weeks. For whatever reason, I've adopted the Flyers and the Capitals as my two teams for the remainder of the playoffs. I'll likely avoid the sport for the most part during the regular season, but the NHL now has a huge fan two months out of the year during the run for the Cup!

OpIv37
05-03-2012, 10:14 PM
The Capitals? Please don't jump on that pathetic bandwagon. They have no real fans.

gr8slayer
05-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Well, I wouldn't say I'm a "fan", per se, but I do enjoy watching them.

OpIv37
05-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I just can't enjoy anything about that team after seeing first hand how fair weather their fan base is.

It's good to see you getting into hockey though. After watching for 3 weeks, you probably know more than most Caps "fans."

gr8slayer
05-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I just can't enjoy anything about that team after seeing first hand how fair weather their fan base is.

It's good to see you getting into hockey though. After watching for 3 weeks, you probably know more than most Caps "fans."
:rofl:, I forgot how much you hate the locals.

CuseJetsFan83
05-04-2012, 02:21 AM
the only thing i like about the capitals is holtby.... he is playing on his head

YardRat
05-04-2012, 05:17 AM
You won't miss much by avoiding the regular season.

mightysimi
05-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, I wouldn't say I'm a "fan", per se, but I do enjoy watching them.

If you like watching a team full of Europeans just wait until you get a look at a predominantly North American team. That is good playoff hockey. Case and Point LA.

CuseJetsFan83
05-07-2012, 12:34 AM
the kings are playing solid thru and thru..... i honestly can't believe how badly they were underachieving in the regular season, but damn they are proving many wrong.

solid goaltending, great PK, decent PP.... recipe for 8-1 thru 2 rounds

gr8slayer
05-07-2012, 07:53 AM
the kings are playing solid thru and thru..... i honestly can't believe how badly they were underachieving in the regular season, but damn they are proving many wrong.

solid goaltending, great PK, decent PP.... recipe for 8-1 thru 2 rounds
That goalie, Quick, is amazing.

mightysimi
05-11-2012, 10:40 AM
killed the 1 and 2 seed in the west. I don't know who can stop them at this point.

G Wolly
05-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Phoenix will

Johnny Bugmenot
05-14-2012, 09:57 AM

I have an old college classmate of mine who's a Caps fan. She's no more "fair weather" than, say, the typical Sabres fan.

I have much less respect for, say, the fans of Loserpeg. They'll root for a pile of dog feces if it has a Jets logo on it, and they'll be as obnoxious as possible about it, too.

OpIv37
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
I have an old college classmate of mine who's a Caps fan. She's no more "fair weather" than, say, the typical Sabres fan.

I have much less respect for, say, the fans of Loserpeg. They'll root for a pile of dog feces if it has a Jets logo on it, and they'll be as obnoxious as possible about it, too.
Well, every team has diehard fans and fair-weather fans. The difference is the percentage. Nobody around here gives a **** about hockey when the Caps are losing, but as soon as they start winning, everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

mightysimi
05-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Yeah why would you want to support a team even if they are losing? Why would you want to make your home building the hardest to play in? Are you upset that they kept chanting "Silver, Miller!!" after losing to Canada in the olympics? How does cheering loudly make it obnoxious. Maybe the city is pumped about having a team again after losing it 15 years ago. Would you rather everyone sits quietly in their seats? Or does it matter because you don't go to games.