PDA

View Full Version : Bills release D.Florence

Raptor
05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
The Bills just released Drayton Florence, per league source.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Raptor
05-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Not surprised, he clearly lost a step last year

ThunderGun
05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Not surprised either. He was due $9 million over the next two years. Too much money to pay a clear backup.

mikemac2001
05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/961joyfm.com/files/2011/09/bilde.jpg

Always have this

Dujek
05-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Thought McGee would be the one to go, but not surprised that one of them went.

mjt328
05-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Not surprised that he got released.
More surprised that he didn't even make it to training camp.

I wonder if the Bills did this in preparation of a potential signing or two.
The biggest advantage of cutting Florence was salary cap.

ThunderGun
05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I always liked Drayton. I wouldn't be shocked if he has another solid season or two under his belt. I knew it wouldn't be here though. His salary is way too high for a clear backup, and he did struggle pretty badly over the last 2 seasons.

I just hope he doesn't go to New England.

DraftBoy
05-04-2012, 08:56 AM
2 roster spots now open.

Philagape
05-04-2012, 08:56 AM
So it turns out he was just a year early on his reaction to a CB draft pick.

Figster
05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Myself personally, I liked Drayton Florence and sad to see him go,

but this is a business...

OpIv37
05-04-2012, 08:59 AM
not sure that I like this.

Granted, Florence lost a step and it showed last year, but at the same time, we have no one that has proven to be better- just a bunch of young guys who haven't really been tested.

JCBills
05-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Going with youth/speed at DB.

McKelvin took a step forward last season.
Williams was better than expected.
Rogers showed he's capable as depth and a returner.
McGee is hopefully finally healthy.
Drafted Gilmore.
Drafted Brooks.

I think they'll look to do something similar at safety next season.

DBrown77
05-04-2012, 09:03 AM
he got burned a lot so i am not suprised. I did like him though and it seemed he liked being here.

OpIv37
05-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Going with youth/speed at DB.

McKelvin took a step forward last season.
Williams was better than expected.
Rogers showed he's capable as depth and a returner.
McGee is hopefully finally healthy.
Drafted Gilmore.
Drafted Brooks.

I think they'll look to do something similar at safety next season.

There have just been too many cases over the past 10 years where the Bills did a good job of ditching a player who was aging/expensive, only to fail to replace him with someone equal or better.

Jaybird
05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
A little early for a move like that..I would have seen what he's got left come training camp

DrGraves
05-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I thought we'd stick with him over mcgee... oh well.

justasportsfan
05-04-2012, 09:17 AM
While surprised with the early release, Nix and co. seem to do this to allow the player to find another team rather sooner than later.

mrbojanglezs
05-04-2012, 09:17 AM
He frees up some good cap room and he wasnt good. Frees up cap space for extensions.

Also gives him a chance to sign with another team clash move by Bills

Captain Obvious
05-04-2012, 09:18 AM
just a bunch of young guys who haven't really been tested.

Would you have preferred they spent $40 million on a CB in Free Agency to replace Florence?

wmoz11
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
He was a human penalty machine last year. I thought that they'd keep him over McGee, but I don't mind the move. At some point you need to trust your draft picks.

mikemac2001
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
While surprised with the early release, Nix and co. seem to do this to allow the player to find another team rather sooner than later.

Seems like a solid thing to do

Skooby
05-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I like D. Florence but we drafted for speed, so he's expendable.

EDS
05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Seems risky relying on one veteran with a history of injuries and a slew of untested young guys, even if the young guys appear talented.

Perhaps a move to get the young guys experience this season in hopes of being competitive thereafter.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
We knew one of them was going.
I wouldn't be surprised if McGee still ends up going too.

Pinkerton Security
05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
He was a human penalty machine last year. I thought that they'd keep him over McGee, but I don't mind the move. At some point you need to trust your draft picks.

yea had a bunch of very obvious PA penaltys and i got annoyed, but hes a solid guy, id rather have him than McGee i think. Hes a physical corner who can match up with bigger WRs pretty decently.

psubills62
05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
At some point you have to trust the young guys you have. And with CB's, the second year is generally when things "click" for them.

I don't mind it because of his play, and if they let him go then it's a sign of confidence in the rest of the guys we have.

DraftBoy
05-04-2012, 09:42 AM
What was Florence's cap number?

JCBills
05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
There have just been too many cases over the past 10 years where the Bills did a good job of ditching a player who was aging/expensive, only to fail to replace him with someone equal or better.

I won't argue that, I'm just optimistic this secondary will be fine. They have vet safetys and what should be a great pass rush helping them.

wmoz11
05-04-2012, 09:45 AM

I think we paid him a small roster bonus this year, but he was still due to make 4M+ this season and over 5M next year.

Mr. Miyagi
I would've cut McGee instead of Florence.

Maybe it's an attitude thing. Remember last season when we traded Evans he complained about he shouldn't have signed his extension?

ThunderGun

I know that his salary was $4 million this year, and $5 million next year. I'm not sure about bonuses, or anything like that.

DBrown77
05-04-2012, 09:47 AM
maybe they are creating room to extend Byrd/Levitre

MattyNH
05-04-2012, 09:50 AM
We knew one of them was going.
I wouldn't be surprised if McGee still ends up going too.

Assuming everyone stayed healthy yeah. If someone goes down with an ACL in TC then what?

THRILLHO
05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
This had to be a tough call, deciding which CB to release. I am glad I didn't have to make the choice.

Best of luck to him.

better days
05-04-2012, 09:53 AM

Seriously Op? You really don't think Gilmore or Williams can replace Florence? Seriously????????????

NOT THE DUDE...
05-04-2012, 09:57 AM
just a guess, but this has to mean mcgee is healthy and looking great in the offseason...

SquishDaFish
05-04-2012, 09:59 AM

4.9 this and 5.9 next season

mikemac2001
05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
4.9 this and 5.9 next season

it came down to cash mcgee lowered his and flo probably said no test the market you never know might go unsigned and might grab him later in year

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Assuming everyone stayed healthy yeah. If someone goes down with an ACL in TC then what?

Anyone can get hurt.
Wouldn't surprise me if at the end of August with everyone healty that McGee gets cut.
They are going young and going with the last couple of drafts.

OpIv37
05-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Would you have preferred they spent $40 million on a CB in Free Agency to replace Florence?

no, I'd prefer they kept Florence at least through camp/preseason to make sure that one of these young guys is ready to step up.

OpIv37
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Seriously Op? You really don't think Gilmore or Williams can replace Florence? Seriously????????????

I'm sure they can eventually. I'm not so sure they can do it right now. Eventually, Buffalo has to stop building for a future that never arrives and start trying to actually win.

Forward_Lateral
05-04-2012, 10:08 AM
With the way Florence played last year, a pylon with a jersey could replace him.

Extremebillsfan247
05-04-2012, 10:08 AM
There have just been too many cases over the past 10 years where the Bills did a good job of ditching a player who was aging/expensive, only to fail to replace him with someone equal or better. Your right. I'm hoping, but not counting on the addition of Gilmore being an exception to that rule. We all know that there is a bit of a learning curve for first year DBs. As I've heard Bills defensive players say, "cornerbacks have the toughest job adjusting from the college level to the pros". The rules at the pro level for covering receivers are different. It's why we end up seeing a lot of pass interference calls, and holding penalties against first year starting defensive backs. Florence is getting up there in age, but he's probably going to be missed here, at least early on in the season. JMO

better days
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm sure they can eventually. I'm not so sure they can do it right now. Eventually, Buffalo has to stop building for a future that never arrives and start trying to actually win.

Well, Williams has a year of experience, & Gilmore has TALENT, I'm confident the Bills will start winning this year. It will be great to see your positive side for an entire season this year.

bf1
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
We'll be drafting another db for needed depth for the 20th straight year next year.

mikemac2001
05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Gilmore Williams Mckelvin Brooks Mcgee Rogers why is this an issue with depth?

Lone Stranger
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM

Acoording to the Jets salary cap site, the cap savings are $3.5 million this year. Future year you can look it up.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
We'll be drafting another db for needed depth for the 20th straight year next year.

As long as he's not from Troy.

With today's NFL it's a big consideration now more then ever.

DraftBoy
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Florence was a better man cover than zone guy. Look for more zone coverage moving forward which should help McKelvin and McGee.

justasportsfan
05-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm sure they can eventually. I'm not so sure they can do it right now.

they could if our DL can constantly put pressure on the qb's.

Ed
05-04-2012, 10:20 AM
With all the CB's we have, someone had to go and I always figured it would be Florence. He was great in 2010, but seemed to struggle last year and he had one of the highest cap hits on the team. Better for him that they release him now than in training camp.

I never really thought and still don't believe that McGee has much chance of being cut. He just restructured his contract so at this point cutting him now would result in more dead cap space than cap savings. They wouldn't of re-done his deal if they didn't want to keep him for at least one more season. And every time Nix talks about McGee he always says he's one of the best when he's healthy.

So I think we're pretty much set at CB now. I think we'll keep six:

Williams
McGee
Gilmore
McKelvin
Brooks
Rogers

Maybe an UDFA or two will make the practice squad.

ServoBillieves
05-04-2012, 10:23 AM
From a business stand point I'm OK with this move. Personally, it's tough to see him go. As repeated a million times, sure he lost a step, but 29 was always on the field. and seemed to be in the right place at the right time as long as he wasn't chasing someone on a fly route.

FlyingDutchman
not sure that I like this.

Granted, Florence lost a step and it showed last year, but at the same time, we have no one that has proven to be better- just a bunch of young guys who haven't really been tested.

Arent you the guy who wanted Poz gone for a bunch of unprovens?

wmoz11
no, I'd prefer they kept Florence at least through camp/preseason to make sure that one of these young guys is ready to step up.

Only problem with that is that he takes away reps from the young guys. If they're getting 1st-team reps right away, it aids their ability to be ready come September.

Which is exactly what they're doing by cutting a veteran and giving the reins to their young guys.

justasportsfan
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Eventually, Buffalo has to stop building for a future that never arrives and start trying to actually win..

Looks to me they are trying to win now and the future by resigning players that have been productive on this team.

Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix said the team will begin contract extension talks with OG Andy Levitre and FS Jairus Byrd in the near future. Both are entering the final year of their contracts.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=784671-bills-will-start-talks-with-andy-levitre,-jairus-byrd-soon#ixzz1tupfQ23I

Ed
05-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Releasing him early like this may also have something to do with getting Fred Jackson's extension done before training camp.

kscdogbillsfan1221
i'm just sentimental but as bad a season as florence had last year, my memory of him will always be the pick 6 vs the patriots giving us our first lead of the game.

That will always be an indelible (spelling?) mark on my memory

TigerJ
Not surprised. I still think if he wants to prolong his career, he needs to try moving to safety. Of course he'll need to find some team willing to let him take a shot at that.

Thurmal
05-04-2012, 10:41 AM
How does McGee keep getting kept over CBs that are obviously better than him?

acehole
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM

There have been a lot of cases where we did it perfectly lee evans, Steve johnson ...Lynch Jackson ect

Oaf
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/961joyfm.com/files/2011/09/bilde.jpg

Always have this
Every time we beat the Pats, it's a magazine cover lol.

Michael82
05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
So it turns out he was just a year early on his reaction to a CB draft pick.
And the funny thing is that he didnt react this year. I have a feeling that he knew.

OpIv37
05-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Gilmore Williams Mckelvin Brooks Mcgee Rogers why is this an issue with depth?

it's Buffalo Bills depth: there is no drop-off between 1st string and 2nd string because the 1st stringers would be 2nd stringers on good NFL teams.

Michael82
05-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Looks to me they are trying to win now and the future by resigning players that have been productive on this team.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=784671-bills-will-start-talks-with-andy-levitre,-jairus-byrd-soon#ixzz1tupfQ23I
That's awesome news! I was hoping to hear they would begin contract extensions soon.

OpIv37
There have been a lot of cases where we did it perfectly lee evans, Steve johnson ...Lynch Jackson ect

Steve Johnson isn't Lee Evans' replacement. They were 1 and 2. Now we have 1 and a bunch of 3's and 4's. They still haven't replaced Lee Evans.

Dr. Lecter
just a guess, but this has to mean mcgee is healthy and looking great in the offseason...
McGee has not even been totally cleared yet.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-04-2012, 11:07 AM
So Terrence "Bum Legs" McGee and Leodis "McToast" McKelvin are still on the roster but Drayton Florence isn't.

I understand clearing a spot for Gilmore and some of the up-and-comers, and the cap aspect, but Florence isn't the first name I think of when it comes to dead weight on the Bills CB depth chart.

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
So Terrence "Bum Legs" McGee and Leodis "McToast" McKelvin are still on the roster but Drayton Florence isn't.

I understand clearing a spot for Gilmore and some of the up-and-comers, and the cap aspect, but Florence isn't the first name I think of when it comes to dead weight on the Bills CB depth chart.
At least McKelvin was on the receiver last year, even if he did not make a play.

Florence was out of position and took penalties.

Forward_Lateral
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Also, releasing him now allows him to sign with a new team before camp, which is ideal for any player, IMO.

Michael82
05-04-2012, 11:14 AM
McGee has not even been totally cleared yet.
Thats what worries me the most. I would have liked to see McGee 100% first.

JCBills
05-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Steve Johnson isn't Lee Evans' replacement. They were 1 and 2. Now we have 1 and a bunch of 3's and 4's. They still haven't replaced Lee Evans.

Lee Evans didn't have anyone across from him except for when T.O. came to town and the following year when Stevie broke out.

So we're back to having nobody across from the #1. They did replace Lee.

Meathead
05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
amazing when you consider how much he elevated his game in 10 and then uneleva ... de-eleva ... crashed and burned in 11

Night Train
05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
How does McGee keep getting kept over CBs that are obviously better than him?
McGee is brittle but has speed, unlike Florence.

Once the speed is gone, it's slot CB or retirement. Bills just drafted Williams in the 2nd round last year to play slot Cb and Florence carries a big salary ..I believe 9 mil over the next 2 years.

Thanks for being a good player for most of your tenure here. He did well and it was just his time.

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Buddy Nix has come out and said he's drafting 2 CBs every year. No surprise there.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-04-2012, 11:56 AM
is mcgee really going to make the team coming off a torn pcl, along with 4 straight years of getting hurt at age 32?

we would keep him over a sixth wr like hagan, a young safety like howell from stanford or young player like chris white, a young dt like heard? i highly doubt we keep 6 corners. we didnt last year or in 010...

im quite positive that gilmore and williams will start. we know brooks will win a spot for sure along with rogers. so it comes down to a younger guy with potential and still great feet/speed in mckelvin, or a 32 year old corner who is always hurt...

im positive they keep mckelvin as the 5th corner for veteran insurance...

its easier to replace corners than wrs...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2307/terrence-mcgee

mcgee said he is nowhere near his old straight line speed. and its already may...

YardRat
05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Wow. 75 posts and no 'Ralph is cheap' references. I'm impressed.

clumping platelets
05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
This release was mostly driven by need of cap space to sign the draft choices and for Freddie's extension

zone
05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
it's Buffalo Bills depth: there is no drop-off between 1st string and 2nd string because the 1st stringers would be 2nd stringers on good NFL teams.
While I think that was true for most positions on the old Bills teams I think CB was an exception to that rule. We have produced good CB's for a long time.

justasportsfan
05-04-2012, 12:56 PM
“I want to thank Drayton for all he’s done for our team during his three years in Buffalo," said Bills GM Buddy Nix. "But we have some good, young talent at the cornerback position that has tremendous upside. They need to take as many of the reps at practice as they can to continue to develop that talent. Our defense has gone through a number of changes since the end of last season and we feel that it’s necessary to give these young corners the opportunity to be in the lineup.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-release-CB-Florence/0c0e0861-e09a-496d-8617-a2cc7243307f

justasportsfan
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Florence tweeted the following after he was let go by Buffalo.

@DraytonFlorence Business is Business no feelings move on and continue to grind Thanks for all the support #billsmafia the Grind Continues

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/05/04/flo-reacts-to-being-released/

justasportsfan
05-04-2012, 12:59 PM

You're not going to write a "Dear Drayton" letter are you? :nervous:

BADTHINGSMAN
05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
May have to get rid of my signature now.

tampabay25690
05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
A little early for a move like that..I would have seen what he's got left come training camp

Not at all he would take valuable reps from the new guys then!!!
Let the young core get all the reps

better days
05-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Not at all he would take valuable reps from the new guys then!!!
Let the young core get all the reps

Also gives Florence a chance to sign with another team early. I think the vets appreciate that. Unlike some organizations that will screw a player like the Chargers have under AJ Smith, the Bills will help them find a new team or at least give them time to do so.

k-oneputt
05-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Gilmore and Williams outside, Brooks in the slot as #3.

Joe Fo Sho
05-04-2012, 04:12 PM
May have to get rid of my signature now.

No way, man. That sig makes me laugh every time I see it.

YardRat
05-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I still would have preferred Tiger's take...move Florence to back up Byrd at FS, and he's still available in case of injury to another CB.

stuckincincy
05-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I still would have preferred Tiger's take...move Florence to back up Byrd at FS, and he's still available in case of injury to another CB.

I'll take a guess that the contract was the thing. Nice to have signed Williams - but it was for a large price.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-04-2012, 04:44 PM

thats what searcy and howell are for... young legs man!

speed, speed, speed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYWZZlVlFb4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YardRat
05-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Howell might make it.

AndreReed83
05-04-2012, 04:45 PM
I liked his personality. Unless I'm mistaken, he was never nothing but enthusiastic about being in Buffalo. Not always easy to find NFLers like that anymore.

Hope he lands on his feet.

better days
05-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Not a bad plan except that would be a LOT of Money to pay a back up.

Michael82
05-04-2012, 05:54 PM
This release was mostly driven by need of cap space to sign the draft choices and for Freddie's extension

And also to begin working on a contract extension for Byrd and Levitre

ghz in pittsburgh
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Like DraftBoy said, Florance was good in San Diego playing man coverage. He was bad in zone in Jacksonville and got released one year into his contract. He found his comfort place in man coverage again in Buffalo.

But I believe Wanny is going to play zone here; he always has where he has been. Gilmore is the perfect zone coverage guy.

McGee is also pretty much a zone coverage guy. The fact that they re-worked his contract said quite a bit earlier this year.

Beebe
05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Just don't let him go to the PATS.

Bert102176
05-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I thought we'd stick with him over mcgee... oh well.

Mcgee just got an extension can't see uscutting him this year we will use his experience and maybe cut him next year

BUFF Bills
05-04-2012, 11:48 PM
maybe they are creating room to extend Byrd/Levitre

don't forget freddy...

BertSquirtgum
05-05-2012, 12:29 AM
He has not been good. I do think they should have tried to restructure though. He wasn't completely terrible but he had some terrible games. They must have seen some film they didn't like.