PDA

View Full Version : Not a fan of cutting Florence

Joebuffalowins
05-05-2012, 02:17 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/not-a-fan-of-cutting-drayton.html

Sure, he got toasted at times last year, but I dont think cutting him makes your team better.

don137
05-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I personally rather keep him too. What if there is training camp injuries? You could end up with a player worse than Florence on your roster?

trapezeus
05-05-2012, 03:14 PM
i'd rather have cut mcgee and leodis and kept florence.

Thurmal
05-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I guess it was a money thing. B/c there is no way you could say that he was worse than McGee or McKelvin.

mikemac2001
05-05-2012, 03:29 PM
most people would rather keep a player then cut him but its a numbers game and he is out

also he was probalbly 4-5 on the depth chart at 4-5 mill a year

Raptor
05-05-2012, 03:35 PM
I really don't know what people were watching last year

Flo was not good at all and thrown on and pick on by opposing QB's more than any other CB we had

I read somewhere that when QB's threw at Flo they had something like a 102 QB rating and that put him in the top 10 worst CB's in the league

The Bills decided they no longer wanted to pay for a player that is clearly in decline and is only going to get worse from here on out

madness
05-05-2012, 04:18 PM

Flo was not good at all and thrown on and pick on by opposing QB's more than any other CB we had

I read somewhere that when QB's threw at Flo they had something like a 102 QB rating and that put him in the top 10 worst CB's in the league

The Bills decided they no longer wanted to pay for a player that is clearly in decline and is only going to get worse from here on out

Yep, QB's had a rating of 103.3 throwing against him.

elltrain22
05-05-2012, 04:31 PM
i'd rather have cut mcgee and leodis and kept florence.

110% dito!!

Night Train
05-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I guess it was a money thing. B/c there is no way you could say that he was worse than McGee or McKelvin.
By 2013,none of those 3 are here and he was just the first to go. They're ALL getting replaced.

5 mil cap hit this year,6 mil next year.

We will draft another 2 CB's next year.

Welcome to needed change.

Meathead
05-05-2012, 07:09 PM
his great 10 got him the big contract. his awful 11 got him the door

NOT THE DUDE...
05-05-2012, 07:13 PM
gilmore and williams are locked in as starters.

brooks and rogers are locked in as well...

so, mckelvin, mcgee, florence. all relatively the same...

florence made the most, so he was cut.

and they will keep mckelvin because he is healthy and has younger legs.

pretty simple actually...

tampabay25690
05-05-2012, 08:23 PM
What has florence done to deserve starting?

Beebe's Kid
05-05-2012, 08:38 PM

There are no "locks" in May. It is interesting that every player who has never played a snap in the NFL is a lock, and every vet is fightin for a spot...I know that you like the draft, and we all like shiny new parts, but come on, dude...

mysticsoto
05-05-2012, 10:32 PM

Why is Rogers a lock? He's done nothing to deserve being a lock. And neither have any of the rookies. Florence should have been kept until TC. Screw the money he is owed and screw giving him a chance to join another team. This is a business and we need to ensure we have the best players out there. He could and should have been cut later if it was merited so skillwise.

OpIv37
05-05-2012, 10:46 PM

he had 2 good years followed by one bad year. Could be age, could have just been an off year. It happens to a lot of good players.

I'd rather take the chance on him than McGee, given McGee's injury history.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2012, 12:30 AM
There are no "locks" in May. It is interesting that every player who has never played a snap in the NFL is a lock, and every vet is fightin for a spot...I know that you like the draft, and we all like shiny new parts, but come on, dude...

dude, we all know man. do i really have to be that specific. 95% sure they are locks...

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Why is Rogers a lock? He's done nothing to deserve being a lock. And neither have any of the rookies. Florence should have been kept until TC. Screw the money he is owed and screw giving him a chance to join another team. This is a business and we need to ensure we have the best players out there. He could and should have been cut later if it was merited so skillwise.

because he beat out mckelvin last year....

when i say lock, i dont mean 100%. i think we all know that. that goes without saying. more than likely they are locks man...

Skooby
05-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Flo's leadership will be missed but we need performance.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2012, 12:37 AM

you do realize dray wasnt even a top 100 db last year, right?:help!:

they draft gilmore for a reason man... come on now...

mysticsoto
05-06-2012, 06:11 AM
because he beat out mckelvin last year....

when i say lock, i dont mean 100%. i think we all know that. that goes without saying. more than likely they are locks man...

Did he really beat out McKelvin? Or was it that the coach/staff was angry at McKelvin for something...or was it that they were trying to give Rogers some experience b'cse they've seen the best McKelvin has to offer and want to see if Rogers' upside is higher?

You really don't know...so please don't act like you do. No one here knows.

you do realize dray wasnt even a top 100 db last year, right?:help!:

they draft gilmore for a reason man... come on now...
Last yr we had no pass rush. QBs had half an hour to throw. The best CBs would've looked like crap in our defense...

I do know this: Other than last year where the entire defense looked bad, Drayton has looked better than McKelvin or Rogers...

Historian
05-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Well put Mystic.

tampabay25690
05-06-2012, 06:28 AM
Bottom line is Flo is gone we need to move on.
We have a nice mix of young talent in the secondary, let them get a ton of reps this TC...

Extremebillsfan247
05-06-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/not-a-fan-of-cutting-drayton.html

Sure, he got toasted at times last year, but I dont think cutting him makes your team better.Unfortunately, He wont be the only veteran getting cut by this team. I'm expecting quite a few fights to break out at TC as competition for roster spots heats up. The Bills brought in players who will challenge for starting jobs through free agency, and the draft. There will be more surprise cuts this year. Florence was just the beginning. Just a feeling.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Unfortunately, He wont be the only veteran getting cut by this team. I'm expecting quite a few fights to break out at TC as competition for roster spots heats up. The Bills brought in players who will challenge for starting jobs through free agency, and the draft. There will be more surprise cuts this year. Florence was just the beginning. Just a feeling.

i agree, the team finally has decent backup talent, even 3rd stringers like jarron gilbert/kyle moore/howell/mckillop/white/dotson/aiken/roosevelt/rogers/moats/johnson/brown/williams/jasper/young/z. sanders/j. white/choice, etc...

hell even someone like ian wild will challenge the long snapper or even bryan scott...

its going to be heated and im guessing gailey and wanny will side with younger talent... jmo

Buddo
05-07-2012, 05:03 AM
The young talent looks good on paper.
I'm not convinced cutting Florence now was the wisest move, but I can see why it was done.
McGee has re-structured his deal, and if fit, imho, is still be best CB on the roster - for the time being at least.
If I had to take an educated guess, the reasons Florence got to see The turk, were $, as he was going to get too much for being, at best, 4th man in, and the fact that McKelvin still has serious ability as a returner.

I'd say also, that they may well be changing their approach to how they use our CBs, and might believe they can get better play from McKelvin in a slightly different alignment. It also has to be noted, that whilst seemingly unable to make a play on the ball, McKelvin has no problems staying with just about any WR out there. The physical tools are there, he just needs to put it together.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I got a chance to have some drinks with my buddy (works for a pro-agency here) who came back to Run Pittsburgh Marathon yesterday. It's busy time for one side of the house in wooing new college players because this is the time you can get them in one place -- school -- before they head out to home in the summer. Guys don't have games Saturday and can really party up. So someone have to handing out tickets, ordering catered food, lining up hookers, etc. My buddy's job is onthe other side maintain existing clients, but had to pitch-in.

He told me that from his experience, mostly Florence asked and got his release from the Bills. From the list of things they ask for in the exit meeting and off-season contacts, players usually know where they stand. If Florence could not get a reasonable 1st team practice snaps commitmment from Gailey and Wanny, then it's wise to ask for release now instead being cut later in training camp. He did say it's like 50-50 teams would follow thorugh though.