PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Cap Has Been A Godsend

Night Train
05-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Allows Bills to sign Williams & Anderson, rather than worry if the 1st round pick is going to hold out for some insane contract and eat up $.

The agents have been kept in check in this respect & the Bills have benefited as much as anyone.

Look at all the early signings rolling in. No one will be late for camp. Proven Vets getting the $ .

Finally.

mrbojanglezs
05-09-2012, 08:10 PM
long time overdue, glad they finally did it. 1000% better

YardRat
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Absolutely. It's no coincidence (although not necessarily entirely responsible for, admittedly) that 'all of a sudden' teams (read:Buffalo) are more able and/or willing to re-sign their own and go after free agents.

Mike13
05-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Andrew Luck's contract is only worth $22 million.

Turf
05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
This is exactly what they needed and they did it. And Luck was stupid because he lost probably 25 million by staying in school.

thenry20
05-10-2012, 12:51 AM
This is exactly what they needed and they did it. And Luck was stupid because he lost probably 25 million by staying in school.

Getting a degree is NEVER a waste of time. Besides, I can't think of a player retiring on his rookie monies. It's the second or, if you're very lucky, the 3rd contract you sign is where the meat's at.

Mindbender
05-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Getting a degree is NEVER a waste of time. Besides, I can't think of a player retiring on his rookie monies. It's the second or, if you're very lucky, the 3rd contract you sign is where the meat's at.

Whatever, it is a waste of time if you lose out on millions. You can always go back and finish.

X-Era
05-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Allows Bills to sign Williams & Anderson, rather than worry if the 1st round pick is going to hold out for some insane contract and eat up $.

The agents have been kept in check in this respect & the Bills have benefited as much as anyone.

Look at all the early signings rolling in. No one will be late for camp. Proven Vets getting the $ .

Finally.The only losers were the agents... but we already knew they were losers.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Whatever, it is a waste of time if you lose out on millions. You can always go back and finish. If Luck starts suffering brain damage as a result of his time in the league, going back won't be nearly as easy. He was right to finish what he started.

Not only that, history has repeatedly shown that underclassmen who come out that early almost never live up to expectation. (Case in point: Alex Smith.)

Night Train
05-10-2012, 05:53 AM
There was nothing wose than a 1st round pick entering camp and as one of the top 3 paid players on the team, with some cap crushing signing bonus.

Restricts your FA options. Can't resign your own good players.

Owners hated it and the NFLPA should have listened to their own veterans that were pissed about it.

ddaryl
05-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Don't think anyone disapproves of the new formula. Accept some of the rookie 1st rounders

Joe Fo Sho
05-10-2012, 06:37 AM

That degree is not worth 40 million dollars, which would've been his signing bonus if he was drafted 1st overall 2 years ago. A chance to make anything more than 1 million dollars is worth postponing your college degree. He's probably never going to use it anyway.

ddaryl
05-10-2012, 07:28 AM
The only losers were the agents... but we already knew they were losers.
I don't view agents as losers.. They have a job to do, and that is to get their client the best contract they can. They can be frustrating to deal with, but without agents teams would take big time advantage of the players. They ARE the product, they deserve their share of the pie, the agents along with the NFLPA make sure the Players get that share.

Peter's was the last contract the Bills had trouble with. Overall the Bills haven't had any major issues dealing with agents...

that being said the rookie contracts of the last couple of decades were completely out of control, but that is equally the fault of the teams that never held their ground and set precedent

better days
05-10-2012, 07:40 AM

NONSENSE. An NFL player drafted in the first rnd will make more money with his rookie contract even under the new CBA than the vast majority of College grads will see in the lifetime.

Luck cost himself a fortune by staying in school rather than coming out under the old CBA & a degree can be earned ANYTIME, look at Big Ben Roethlisberger, he just earned his degree.

THRILLHO
05-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Was he eligible to enter the draft two years ago? Because last year was the first year of the rookie cap.

Tinboy
05-10-2012, 08:19 AM
$22 million is probably more than I will make in my whole working career. Poor Luck...

better days
05-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Was he eligible to enter the draft two years ago? Because last year was the first year of the rookie cap.

Yes, Luck was eligible 2 years ago, & there was wide speculation he would enter that draft because it was the last draft under the old CBA, but he decided to stay in school.

Beebe's Kid
05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
NONSENSE. An NFL player drafted in the first rnd will make more money with his rookie contract even under the new CBA than the vast majority of College grads will see in the lifetime.

Luck cost himself a fortune by staying in school rather than coming out under the old CBA & a degree can be earned ANYTIME, look at Big Ben Roethlisberger, he just earned his degree.
I think there might be a problem with that. I apparently am in the minority on that, but if any player in the NFL stopped doing their job tomorrow, there wouldn't be any real fallout, not unless you take rooting for a sports team that seriously, which is another subset of the same problem.

better days
05-10-2012, 01:48 PM
I think there might be a problem with that. I apparently am in the minority on that, but if any player in the NFL stopped doing their job tomorrow, there wouldn't be any real fallout, not unless you take rooting for a sports team that seriously, which is another subset of the same problem.

I don't disagree at all, but such is life. People that can play sports, act, sing, Celebrities in general, are vastly overpaid.

MattyNH
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah the system was so backwards. This had to be done.

DraftBoy
05-11-2012, 10:48 AM
There was nothing wose than a 1st round pick entering camp and as one of the top 3 paid players on the team, with some cap crushing signing bonus.

Restricts your FA options. Can't resign your own good players.

Owners hated it and the NFLPA should have listened to their own veterans that were pissed about it.

Actually the NFLPA was right in terms of telling the vets they were being stupid. The rookie money saved in terms of guaranteed cash and bonuses that the vets wanted isn't going to them. Its staying with the owners.

better days
05-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Actually the NFLPA was right in terms of telling the vets they were being stupid. The rookie money saved in terms of guaranteed cash and bonuses that the vets wanted isn't going to them. Its staying with the owners.

What are you talking about. Lets see some proof of that with numbers. The cap itself has not gone down with the new CBA, therefore with Rookies making LESS than they were under the old CBA it seems only logical to me that more money is going into the Vets pockets.

DraftBoy
05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
What are you talking about. Lets see some proof of that with numbers. The cap itself has not gone down with the new CBA, therefore with Rookies making LESS than they were under the old CBA it seems only logical to me that more money is going into the Vets pockets.

You did not understand what I said. The issue wasn't about the total value of the deals for the vets. They could of cared less about that.