PDA

View Full Version : T. Pryor's family needed help

Skooby
05-10-2012, 08:32 AM
The college players that risk it all for NFL glory need to get rewarded somehow, I can see where humanity takes over in his instance:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7913992/terrelle-pryor-says-accepted-money-memorabilia-help-family-according-report

TigerJ
05-10-2012, 08:42 AM
I can see why the NCAA has rules, because if it was a free for all there would be all kinds of unsavory stuff going on. The problem with rules, however, is that too often they're unable to take extenuating circumstances into account. There is a feeling on the part of more than a few in the know that college athletes should be compensated. Colleges like Ohio State make oodles of money with their major sports and the scholarships that athletes get are a pittance by comparison. Why should the parents of an elite athlete have to be threatened with homelessness while colleges are getting rich because of the sport their kids are involved in?

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
You don't have to go play college football. There isn't anyone forcing you to go "make the colleges rich".

I wonder how much all of those tattoos cost, that might have helped with her rent.

Skooby
05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
You don't have to go play college football. There isn't anyone forcing you to go "make the colleges rich".

I wonder how much all of those tattoos cost, that might have helped with her rent.

Do you think he could of cut back on a few meals before his Mom lost her job ? Then he could of saved money for her to eat / live on later, right ?

Beebe's Kid
05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
This is really a good article, for multiple reasons.

Maybe we can set aside the mentality that any player that gets engaged in this kind of activity is a money grabbing thug. Maybe....that is a stretch for our culture, but if we tried to have a heart for 2 minutes, it would go a long way.

How about the handling of this situation where Ohio State was the victim? That is classing American bassackwardness. The program that is pulling in millions upon millions of dollars because they put this kid on the field every week, while his family is close to being evicted, and can't heat their home. This is despicable.

I wonder if the AD or Tressel, or any of the other "victims" of this "crime" have trouble heating their home? I wonder if any of the boosters even understand what it is to have your mother about to be tossed out of her home? These poor people all approached this like cats trying to bury **** on a hot tin roof, because they need to protect their place of privilege.

So all of the people who make money because of this kid's talents were outraged because he tried to do the same...I wonder if any of their heat was about to get shut off? That was the last thing that mattered to any of these ****s. The only thing that matters to them is that they not jeopardize the program's reputation, because they need to make sure that they don't lose the right to exploit the talents of kids. Don't tarnish that sterling image...let the kids mom get tossed out on her ass, but by God, don't threaten the university.

This is a story that deserves to be read.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Do you think he could of cut back on a few meals before his Mom lost her job ? Then he could of saved money for her to eat / live on later, right ?

WTF does tattoos all over your arms have to do with eating food to live? I really hope this isn't the best you can come up with.

I can go rob a bank to feed my family, but that is ilegal. I can't go in front of a judge and say my family was hungry and everything is all good.

Beebe's Kid
05-10-2012, 09:35 AM

This sounds a little like, "let them eat cake."

Actually there is. It is called lack of opportunity.

What do I mean...this is America, right? I mean this is America, and we give everybody equal opportunities, all you have to do is work hard, right? This bag of bull**** is getting heavy, and starting to stink.

It is funny how the people that still buy that bull**** are people who were born on third base, or who were from the generation where you had a choice of making a living or going to college...which you could get out from under relatively easily. Now we are all crushed by student loan debt, paying for an inferior product, but stuck because you can't get any decent job without it. You can't get a decent job with it.

We have turned into a society that doesn't value other people's lives at all. We value our own interests without seeing how insulation and individualism is weakening our voice, and we are for all intents and purposes, neutered in a system that was supposed to be ours to participate in. We continue to hold on, and work longer hours for stagnating wages, hoping it turns around, or at the very least, that when the water starts to circle the bowl, we are able to avoid getting sucked down the drain.

To say that this guy shouldn't have gotten a tattoo years ago, because his mother's heat would be in jeopardy while he played at a program shoving money into their pockets by the fistful is asinine. It is heartless, and it completely misses the point. This isn't a matter of there is no money to help, it is a matter of the people who never will understand this kind of need, having no problem exploiting those who do, and seeing helping people like Pryor as a threat to their power. The issue is that power is illegitimate, and while they have had a good run, it just won't go on forever.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Wow, that is a lot of time and effort put into something like this.

ddaryl
05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
It's a double edged sword.

Can't hate a man for doing what it took to take care of his family.. he paid a heavy price.

Pryor got a free education for playing football... that was the agreement. He did what he had to do, and he paid a price for that decision...

His story should turn some heads and get people talking.

stuckincincy
05-10-2012, 10:21 AM
It's a double edged sword.

Can't hate a man for doing what it took to take care of his family.. he paid a heavy price.

Pryor got a free education for playing football... that was the agreement. He did what he had to do, and he paid a price for that decision...

His story should turn some heads and get people talking.

There's a side story. Tressel was hired last season as a "replay consultant." by IND - he has connections with them. Pryor was picked in the supplemental draft (I forget who picked him), and was slapped with a 4 game suspension. He balked, the upshot being that Tressel had to not sit upstairs for 4 games. Obviously no $ skin off his nose.

Skooby
05-10-2012, 10:30 AM
WTF does tattoos all over your arms have to do with eating food to live? I really hope this isn't the best you can come up with.

I can go rob a bank to feed my family, but that is ilegal. I can't go in front of a judge and say my family was hungry and everything is all good.

You're talking about saving money by not getting tats, so why not question his eating patterns?? Maybe he should drink water instead of soda, lol.

Hating on Tats is a little silly, unless you have issues with it (I don't have any tats BTW).

Meathead
05-10-2012, 11:41 AM
lots of mothers freezing in their homes that dont have sons who are have a free college education. we should have equal compassion for all that are suffering, not just the ones that give us something to do while drinking beer on sundays

alnilla
05-10-2012, 12:23 PM
There's a side story. Tressel was hired last season as a "replay consultant." by IND - he has connections with them. Pryor was picked in the supplemental draft (I forget who picked him), and was slapped with a 4 game suspension. He balked, the upshot being that Tressel had to not sit upstairs for 4 games. Obviously no $ skin off his nose.

Oakland picked him up.

better days
05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I seem to remember Pryor got in trouble for getting the tats for free as well as selling his stuff.

He was paid $3000 for a pair of pants & says he helped pay PART of his moms rent, she owed 3 months back rent. She must be living in a NICE place if 3 grand could not cover the rent for 3 months.

TigerJ
05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
lots of mothers freezing in their homes that dont have sons who are have a free college education. we should have equal compassion for all that are suffering, not just the ones that give us something to do while drinking beer on sundays

What you say is true, and we should have compassion for all, who through no fault of their own have fallen on tough times. But I think the point of this discussion is that it was Pryor's mother, and who among us wouldn't be more affected when it hits close to home.

BillsOverDolphins
05-10-2012, 11:31 PM
1. The "they're getting a free education!" Bit is a completely ******ed line of thinking. These guys are recruited by universities so they can help bring in money and exposure. Both parties know the majority of bball and football players aren't there for the education.

2. Mom needs to get off her ass and get another job.

jimbohastle51
05-10-2012, 11:32 PM
This kid has talent. It will take a lot of hard coaching to get his potential out of him. He can continue to help his family bigger game checks then.

Stewie
05-11-2012, 09:02 AM

You don't have to lack empathy, there isn't anyone forcing you to lack common decency.

Stewie
05-11-2012, 09:07 AM
1. The "they're getting a free education!" Bit is a completely ******ed line of thinking. These guys are recruited by universities so they can help bring in money and exposure. Both parties know the majority of bball and football players aren't there for the education.

+1

Joe Fo Sho
05-11-2012, 09:17 AM

It's the players' fault for not taking advantage of their free ride. Pryor could've got a 4 year degree, got a job out of college and helped his mother out. Or he could've got a job while in college and put less focus on football. Clearly his priorities were with playing ball.

He decided to put all of his eggs in the Football basket, and with that comes a set of guidelines. He broke them and got caught, so he got punished. Those are the rules, if you don't like them don't play football.

better days
05-11-2012, 12:52 PM

The VAST MAJORITY of college players will NEVER make it to the NFL. A FREE education is a GREAT gift to help a person improve his lot in life.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-11-2012, 02:00 PM
I guess if it is a ******ed way of thinking, let me ask a ******ed question, how many Division I BCS schools turn a profit from their athletic departments?

Let us not be ******ed and think that football doesn't just get money for the football program and that it funds all of the athletic programs (except maybe basketball).

(Hint - it isn't above 10.)

BillsOverDolphins
05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
It's the players' fault for not taking advantage of their free ride. Pryor could've got a 4 year degree, got a job out of college and helped his mother out. Or he could've got a job while in college and put less focus on football. Clearly his priorities were with playing ball.

He decided to put all of his eggs in the Football basket, and with that comes a set of guidelines. He broke them and got caught, so he got punished. Those are the rules, if you don't like them don't play football.

lolwut? What other skills/talents did Pryor have?

He's a freakish athlete who was recruited as such. Getting a 4-year degree in Communications and working at a Waffle House won't pay the bills. He used his fame as OSU QB to try and make money. Pretty savvy for a 20-21 y/o actually. The major universities make beaucoup bucks from the exposure these players provide.

They know damn well Crovarius and Leontray aren't there to graduate magna *** laude and lead a normal life.

SABURZFAN
05-11-2012, 04:24 PM
wasn't this guy driving around a $40k vehicle before he signed a contract? rumors have it that he had quite the sneaker collection too.

Joe Fo Sho
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
lolwut? What other skills/talents did Pryor have?

He's a freakish athlete who was recruited as such. Getting a 4-year degree in Communications and working at a Waffle House won't pay the bills. He used his fame as OSU QB to try and make money. Pretty savvy for a 20-21 y/o actually. The major universities make beaucoup bucks from the exposure these players provide.

They know damn well Crovarius and Leontray aren't there to graduate magna *** laude and lead a normal life.

Why not?

What other skills did he have? I have no idea..is he a moron? I honestly don't know, is he stupid? Some of the STUPIDEST people I know have 4 year degrees and make a solid living. Hell, I know some idiots that didn't graduate high school that are supporting a family.

Just because you're athletic doesn't mean anyone owes you jack ****. He took advantage of the system and got caught. Now, whether or not that system was also taking advantage of him is a different story. But if he didn't like it, he didn't have to join the NCAA Football Program at Ohio State University.

Skooby
05-11-2012, 09:04 PM
wasn't this guy driving around a $40k vehicle before he signed a contract? rumors have it that he had quite the sneaker collection too.

These cars aren't going to drive themselves now are they ?