PDA

View Full Version : Competition at the QB position

Figster
05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Myself personally, I can understand why controversy among fans develops when it comes to competition at the QB position. Everyone has there own perception/player in mind when it comes to the QB position and how the position itself it should be handled.

In my opinion competition in all positions is a good thing, including the QB position. Its up to a solid chain of command to stem/stop problems before they ever start. Throughout the league you see teams addressing the QB position aggressively. John Elway didn't need to draft Brock Osweiler, he has Peyton Manning, Elways not worried about a QB controversy. How about the Redskins and RGIII, they didn't need to use another high draft pick on a signal caller, but realize putting to much pressure on RGIII could hurt his development, so they brought in competition at the position to help.

The Green Bay Packers are always looking to upgrade the QB position, as is the Patriots or the Jets because when you have good coaches coaching the QB position, Its the wise thing to do. Good QB are worth their weight in gold as future trade bait. We have the best most innovative coach/QB guru in the league in Chan Gailey and should/could be using his expertise to strengthen the Buffalo Bills franchise. If the Bills grew QB's, like we do CB's, we would have won a Championship by now.

Another thing I would like to point out If I may is sometimes finding the right player for the right scheme or system to fit their skill set is just as important as a players past statistically. The two don't always mesh together right the 1st time around. QB's competing, compete with the scheme/system, the opposition, and the elements.QB's in the NFL have enough to worry about and just need to focus on their job, which is learning/ running the offense, and helping their team win. (Being an obedient understudy without causing waves is part of the job description as backup)

Poor QB play creates controversy, not the backup...http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/smilies/twocents.gif

NOTE: In my mind/opinion Ryan Fitzpatrick is the undisputed(by me anyway) Champion at the QB position throughout the 2013 Buffalo Bills Football season, there is no controversy, this is Fitzy's team/time

:gobills:

justasportsfan
05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Young is a good qb to push Fitz. Brains vs. talent.

SABURZFAN
05-14-2012, 03:34 PM
i can't wait for the QB controversy. it'll be like old times again.

:movie:

Meathead
05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
listen i like fitz and dont have much confidence vy will ever be starting material again, if he ever even really was

but anybody who thinks there wont be a qb controversy is fooling themselves. id even say chuddy is telling a white lie themselves by playing down the possibility of vy challenging fitz at some point. whether hes washed up or not, given his background and experience if vy makes the team it seems almost inevitable

its easy to see it happening just like its happened jillions of times before - starter struggles, gets injured, backup comes in, lights it up, BOOM goes the dynamite

lots of times it happens cuz the opponent doesnt make adjustments fast enough, even after a couple games. but often the new hero cant sustain their magic once defenses do adapt and the sudden star quickly goes back to sucking obscurity

none of that will be remembered in those frantic moments when the established starter is throwing ugly picks and the backup who got the chance is scoring tds as soon as he comes in. whether thats a real picture of what will happen long term or not the screams will be for the new guy

and in this case, vy wont even have to do anything good, people will clamor for him the monday fitz has a bad game

i dont think vy has it in him, but as a bills fan i hope he finally puts it all (his head) together this time. not holding my breath tho

PTI
05-14-2012, 05:15 PM

If it was open Vince Young would win it. I mean Fitz cannot beat out a guy like Edwards in practice.

Marvelous
05-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Man,I dread Fitz struging or gets hurt and VY has a good game.
I've always frowned on the idea of the athlete QB coming to B-lo.
-but I esp disliked VY. I was surprised Jeff Fisher lasted as long as he did before getti g fed up. The kid has issues.
-a smart QB isn't a perk, it's a requirement.
-Look at the Great EGle teams of 2000's & look how obvious it was that Mcnabb was the weak link. Mcnabb =talent isn't enough.

-I'd rather coach up a smart QB who understands the game -vs- an athlete who has no clue how to reAd defenses. IMO this is what killed Jeff Fisher. VY couldn't grasp it.

-to respect thread I will agree that competition pushes & is good etc. but we're past that with Fitz. Comp is what got capt check down booted and put Fitz on map.
-OBD Bungled this one. ESP if it's strictly comp for backup comp.
-you just don't bring in a player who is still uner hungry to start & a Fanbase who k ows it. Just to be backup.

YardRat
05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
and in this case, vy wont even have to do anything good, people will clamor for him the monday fitz has a bad game

Don't kid yourself...they will be clamoring for Young on Sunday before halftime.

Figster
05-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Don't kid yourself...they will be clamoring for Young on Sunday before halftime.

I really hope the fans don't react that way Yardrat because coach Gailey and Buddy Nix are trying to do the right thing here for the organization.

VY is not ready nor will he be ready to run the Bills offense any time soon.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has earned the right to be starter, period...

better days
05-14-2012, 08:15 PM

So which horse will you ride?

SABURZFAN
05-15-2012, 04:46 PM
So which horse will you ride?

the winning one...

stuckincincy
05-16-2012, 08:24 AM
-but I esp disliked VY. I was surprised Jeff Fisher lasted as long as he did before getti g fed up. The kid has issues.

There was speculation what TEN might have opted for Jay Cutler in the '06 draft. IIRC, somebody in the TEN organization had former ties with Vanderbilt or with Cutler - can't recall who.

BillsOverDolphins
05-16-2012, 08:29 AM
It's gonna be interesting because the first 9 games on the sched are tough (for the most part). If Fitz can come out of it 4-5 at worst then he's got a decent shot to finish 6-1. If he starts 3-6 then we're ****ed and anything goes

better days
05-16-2012, 08:30 AM
-a smart QB isn't a perk, it's a requirement.
-Look at the Great EGle teams of 2000's & look how obvious it was that Mcnabb was the weak link. Mcnabb =talent isn't enough.

-I'd rather coach up a smart QB who understands the game -vs- an athlete who has no clue how to reAd defenses. IMO this is what killed Jeff Fisher. VY couldn't grasp it.

-to respect thread I will agree that competition pushes & is good etc. but we're past that with Fitz. Comp is what got capt check down booted and put Fitz on map.
-OBD Bungled this one. ESP if it's strictly comp for backup comp.
-you just don't bring in a player who is still uner hungry to start & a Fanbase who k ows it. Just to be backup.

People mature as they get older. VY is a father now & from his press conference, he seems to have matured.

I am all for bringing in a player that wants to be the starter. I don't want any players on the Bills that are content to be mediocre or a back up.

PTI
05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
It's gonna be interesting because the first 9 games on the sched are tough (for the most part). If Fitz can come out of it 4-5 at worst then he's got a decent shot to finish 6-1. If he starts 3-6 then we're ****ed and anything goes

The Bills could have quite the crazy season. They could win the first 3, lose the next 6 and win the next 6. I am not sure the Bills will win any game 4 though 9.

BillsOverDolphins
05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
The Bills could have quite the crazy season. They could win the first 3, lose the next 6 and win the next 6. I am not sure the Bills will win any game 4 though 9.

True, it's a brutal stretch. If we're at all serious about making the playoffs we have to win at AZ and home against the Titans in that stretch. We'll most likely get swept by the Pats, and there's no way in hell we're winning in Houston or San Fran.

PTI
05-16-2012, 10:49 AM
True, it's a brutal stretch. If we're at all serious about making the playoffs we have to win at AZ and home against the Titans in that stretch. We'll most likely get swept by the Pats, and there's no way in hell we're winning in Houston or San Fran.

I believe those 6 games (4 through 9) are serious make of break games for Fitzpatrick. With those last 6 games being very winnable, I think Fitz needs to still prove he deserves to play those games. He has a career QB ranking under 70 in all the games he has played in November, December, and January, he has had very little success and showed a very unreliable player in those games. If Young has a chance to play in those last 6 very winnable games then Fitzpatrick is most definately finished.

Bill Cody
05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
People mature as they get older.

Some do.

VY is a father now & from his press conference, he seems to have matured.

Maybe. Hope so. PC's would not be how I'd judge maturity gains but we'll see. Being a dad can as you say move people to mature. But in the NFL it's almost as likely that he joins the Travis Henry club. I'm more inclined to think he'll clean up his act because he knows he has to perform and get along or he'll be out of the league.