PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign OT James Carmon and SAF Nick Saenz Release QB Aaron Corp and SAF Ian Wild

DraftBoy
05-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Carmon just tweeted out his contract.

Saenz, and the cuts are per Joe at WGR for the record.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/05/bills-add-three-cut-two/

With the conclusion of this weekend’s rookie and first year player minicamp it now turns into a massive waiting game as any of the 20 plus try-out players wait to see if they impressed enough to get a call and a contract. That wait for one try-out player didn’t take very long as 2010 draftee Dorin Dickerson has been signed by the Bills per his own Twitter account.

ddaryl
05-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Tanney over Corp... interesting.

billsburgh
05-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Has Tanney signed a contract? I though he was one of the try outs who weren't offered contracts yet.

mayotm
05-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, Tanney has not signed a contract with the Bills. He was simply invited to the rookie camp for a tryout.

SquishDaFish
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Tanney is not on the Bills either.

Matthew Elder ‏ <s>@</s>BillsDraft (https://twitter.com/#%21/BillsDraft) Important to note Corp getting cut does not mean Tanney is on the team. He was a tryout QB, not officially a member of the team ever.

Joe Buscaglia ‏ <s>@</s>JoeB_WGR (https://twitter.com/#%21/JoeB_WGR) No. Tanney was a tryout QB. Neither beat each other out. RT <s>@</s>JaredBrown63 (https://twitter.com/#%21/JaredBrown63) that must meen Tanney beat Corp out

DraftBoy
05-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Tanney is not, and never has been on the Buffalo Bills official roster. He was a try-out only player.

justasportsfan
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Bills wanted a Young Qb project. They got one now. The Vince Young Project: Fix his head.

ddaryl
05-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I thought they signed him to a contract... Must of been someone posting tripe on another message board since i can't find that info

justasportsfan
05-14-2012, 03:21 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-sign-pair-of-tryout-players-and-undrafted-free-agent/87d315bf-6512-4cef-8ca1-e15c0de6b9b6

oldno711
05-14-2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/02/2012-nfl-draft-sleepers-james-carmon-interview.html

Mississippi State OT James Carmon is an intriguing prospect. He is a massive human being standing 6’7″ 333 pounds and for that size he possesses tremendous athleticism.
Check out more on Carmon, including our interview with him, after the jump.

Recruited to Mississippi State to be a defensive lineman, Carmon did something unique his senior year. He switched positions from DT to OT. Not only did he make the switch to offensive tackle but he did so in the toughest division in college football; the SEC West. Carmon undertook the enviable task of replacing Derrick Sherrod who was picked in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft. Carmon was thrown right into the fire starting the first game of the season against Memphis and never looked back.
The transition wasn’t without growing pains. It took time to adjust and get comfotable at the position, but from watching James on film you can see a player who improved each week and someone who has potential as an NFL developmental tackle prospect. Playing LT in the SEC is unlike playing OT anywhere else in the country.
In one year alone Carmen was asked to block Dontari Poe, Corey Lemonier, Jarvis Jones, Courtney Upshaw, Jake Bequette and Melvin Ingram. All of whom will be drafted and almost all of them in the first round of the draft. None of those players compare to Jadeveon Clowney whom Carmon calls the “toughest player he has had to block” and a “physical freak”. Carmon held his own and if he can continue to show the improvement he did in his one year playing the position the future could be bright for Carmon.

psubills62
05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Well, I guess the Bills saw something in Saenz that IMO did not show up in his college highlights (much less his lowlights).

stuckincincy
05-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Tanney is not, and never has been on the Buffalo Bills official roster. He was a try-out only player.

I'm surprised that BUF - forget the try-out players - has filled the allowable roster of 90. A player piques interest, cut by some other team. AFAIK, when you cut one, you send in the paperwork for league approval before you offer something to the one you want. Under the limit, you can offer/sign on the spot.

Better to keep less than 90, have flexibility, and not back yourself in.

DraftBoy
05-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Story updated in top post, notes on Dickerson, and Carmon.

DraftBoy
05-14-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm surprised that BUF - forget the try-out players - has filled the allowable roster of 90. A player piques interest, cut by some other team. AFAIK, when you cut one, you send in the paperwork for league approval before you offer something to the one you want. Under the limit, you can offer/sign on the spot.

Better to keep less than 90, have flexibility, and not back yourself in.

That's why I started this thread;
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=212083

stuckincincy
05-14-2012, 04:01 PM
That's why I started this thread;
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=212083

But what about possible opportunities lost? Smiling Jack (Marvin Lewis) said recently, that they won't go the limit of 90 in case they have to act and sign fast to beat out another team for a player they fancy. AFAIK, all transactions with contracted players have to be approved by the league office - even UFDA signings.

If you have 90 under contract, you gotta dump somebody and wait for approval before you sign another, if you have that full roster. No?

DieHrdBillsFan23
05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
According to the bills website the bills currently sit at 88 players, so it's kinda surprising to see then cut players unless they plan on signing a couple more tryout players.

cbatl32
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
In the article with the signings and cuts it said they were at 90 players.

DieHrdBillsFan23
05-14-2012, 04:52 PM
That article originally said they sat at 88 players, I just looked again and it nows says 90, they had to realize the error as well. My mistake.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Are they seriously that satisfied with Thigpen?

YardRat
05-14-2012, 07:12 PM

If they were, Young wouldn't be in Buffalo.

DraftBoy
05-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I dont expect them to have 4.5 million saddled (potentially 5.5 with Young PT bonus) in back-up QB's. They may not cut Thigpen or Young till after camp but I dont think both see the roster.

Romes
05-14-2012, 08:47 PM
I dont expect them to have 4.5 million saddled (potentially 5.5 with Young PT bonus) in back-up QB's. They may not cut Thigpen or Young till after camp but I dont think both see the roster.

Exactly, I bet they cut 1 and sign a developmental QB for the PS. That might be Corp, Tanney or someone else.

k-oneputt
05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Exactly, I bet they cut 1 and sign a developmental QB for the PS. That might be Corp, Tanney or someone else.

I'll go with the someone else option.

Night Train
05-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Other teams will soon start cutting quality players, due to depth after the draft. More quality will be cut during summer camp. Lots of movement between now and late August.

..but hurrry and sign a 4th level college QB, based on a cool video. :rolleyes:

I like a good story as much as anyone but I can seperate my Kindle from NFL football.

better days
05-15-2012, 05:06 AM
Other teams will soon start cutting quality players, due to depth after the draft. More quality will be cut during summer camp. Lots of movement between now and late August.

I like a good story as much as anyone but I can seperate my Kindle from NFL football.

Well, just because a guy is signed doesn't mean he can't be cut in a heartbeat.

I agree there should be a number of players cut by other teams that could help the Bills as Summer progresses.

Night Train
05-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Well, just because a guy is signed doesn't mean he can't be cut in a heartbeat.

See QB Corp - 3 year contract and cut 2 weeks later.

YardRat
05-15-2012, 05:52 AM
It's a given that both won't be on the roster. The questions are...

Will Young beat out Thigpen for #2?
Will Smith also lose his roster spot, or stick as QB#3?
Will Corp/Tanney or another project replace Smith as the third QB, or will they once again carry 2 + Smith and have a rookie on the PS?

DraftBoy
05-15-2012, 06:01 AM
It's a given that both won't be on the roster. The questions are...

Will Young beat out Thigpen for #2?
Will Smith also lose his roster spot, or stick as QB#3?
Will Corp/Tanney or another project replace Smith as the third QB, or will they once again carry 2 + Smith and have a rookie on the PS?

My guess is option four, we carry two true QB's, Snith as the emergency and add one to the PS.

alohabillsfan
05-15-2012, 07:37 AM
whoopie!

TigerJ
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
One thing to remember about undrafted free agents is that it's very easy to cut one if you find someone you like better. I agree with Draftboy that the Bills are likely to have a developmental QB on their PS, and it would be premature to rule out someone like Tanney. It's a little harder to think they will re-sign Corp after having signed and then cut him.

TigerJ
05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
I tried to find out what I could about Carmon. There's not a lot out there, but I did find he measured 6'5.6" at his pro day, a little shorter than the height most sites have him listed at. He's not short by any means for a tackle and he has the long arms that Nix likes. A lot of sites say he's strong. One site says he has "heavy hands," but at his pro day he only did 22 reps of the bench press. Sounds like he has some natural athleticism. He ran a 5.28 40 which isn't too bad. Still it sounds to me like he's a bit out of shape. I could see the Bills putting him on the PS and trying to get him to buy into the strength and conditioning program, then bringing him back next year to push guys on the depth chart. He's not going to start any time soon though.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106013&draftyear=2012&genpos=OT

Johnny Bugmenot
05-15-2012, 04:19 PM

Or sign a 3rd QB, because Thigpen and Smith can't cut it and they need youth. No more "cut babies." Get a guy from scratch and develop him, dang it!

thenry20
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Apparently Gailey is/was.

People, people you need to start taking Chan at his word. Do you not read the PC transcripts or watch the video? Did you not hear him rave about Tyler last year? It's funny how you guy believe the multitude of NFL "gurus" out there and seem to distrust the things that Buddy or Chan say?

Now it seems the backup spot is open for competition.