• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

LBers

What do you think of our current LBers?

I like Barnett. Merriman is nothing until he is something -I wont count my chickens before they hatch. The others are ok.

Discuss
    Please Make Sense
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: LBers

We have a LOT of depth at LB now and I don't consider it one of our major weaknesses anymore. Of the plethora of young guys and vets we have, it will be a good mix of smarts and athleticism.

If Merriman is healthy, him and Barnett are going to create a great problem for the rest of the LBs to see the field, which will promote a lot of competition, which in turn makes the defense better.

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

just because you have bodies doesnt mean you have quality depth

there isnt a single backup that i feel confident could come in for an extending time and provide little to no dropoff from the starters

thats the achilles heel of this defense. if/when they lose any of the starting backers its going to expose a big drop off. im hoping they add some quality there from cutdowns
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Of all the units of this team, including offense, LB corp is the weakest unit. I'm not going as far as calling it the achilles heel, but this is where the only proven vet is Barnett, considered average league wide. Of the young "up and comers", Sheppard has the highest pedigree being a 3rd rounder a year ago, not really a standout as a rookie. No Zach Thomas kind of outstanding guy from the rest after the rookie camp (in which Zach wow-ed everyone in his rookie camp).

I suspect that we are going to see a lot of 2 LBs and 3 Safeties sets in this defense. Our safeties are big in size and Bryan Scott is a hybrid.

My biggest worry is injury to Barnett. He surprised me with playing all 16 games, but I remember he was closed to miss some games. He was our best LB last year and has the coverage skills we haven't seen in Buffalo for years. I don't know there is an adequate backup for him on this team, yet.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
          Of all the units of this team, including offense, LB corp is the weakest unit. I'm not going as far as calling it the achilles heel, but this is where the only proven vet is Barnett, considered average league wide. Of the young "up and comers", Sheppard has the highest pedigree being a 3rd rounder a year ago, not really a standout as a rookie. No Zach Thomas kind of outstanding guy from the rest after the rookie camp (in which Zach wow-ed everyone in his rookie camp).

I suspect that we are going to see a lot of 2 LBs and 3 Safeties sets in this defense. Our safeties are big in size and Bryan Scott is a hybrid.

My biggest worry is injury to Barnett. He surprised me with playing all 16 games, but I remember he was closed to miss some games. He was our best LB last year and has the coverage skills we haven't seen in Buffalo for years. I don't know there is an adequate backup for him on this team, yet.
          I'd say WR/TE is unquestionably our weakest unit. We have Stevie and not much else after that.
          Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Hard on the outside & soft in the middle is our defense.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins
              I'd say WR/TE is unquestionably our weakest unit. We have Stevie and not much else after that.
              I don't agree. The fact that everyone in that unit from last year is coming back and they performed reasonably well with all the injuries last year showed me they can be OK. The #2 is a concern, as was last year. Looking forward, we know Donald Jones was not adequate last year at that spot, but it's not like he's a 28 year old vet. That was his first year starting. He may get better. Easley is healthy now. Then they drafted Graham. Each one of them has things they need to work on but at least we have 3 candidates.

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

Aren't the Bills moving Merriman to right defensive end, where he'll rotate with Mark Anderson? The linebackers are the weakest area of the defense. Barnett is a pretty good starter if he can stay healthy, something he's not always done in his career. Sheppard might be a pretty good starter. Morrison is only adequate. The Bills worked both Bradham and Carder at outside spots during the rookie minicamp, so that's where they seem to envision them playing. They could eventually be decent depth, and maybe more. Early on you have to question whether they'll be ready for more than spot duty. Chris White looks like the main backup at middle linebacker. He was not highly regarded coming out of college, hence becoming a late round pick. Supposedly he's pretty instinctive and a football junkie, kind of a Chris Spielman type, but we don't really know what he can do on the field if he had top come in for a lot of plays.

There is no one who is elite among the linebackers, a couple who are decent, one who is adequate, and then a lot of relative unknowns, guys who were OK in college, but we can't be sure how that's going to translate to the pros. Then we have some guys who are better fits in a 3-4 defense. Compare that to the line where we have three elite/near elite players, four if Shawn Merriman can regain elite status, and one very good player and pretty good competition for most of the backup spots.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Merriman will not play LB. He is RDE.

LBs are Moats/Morrison --- Sheppard --- Barnett

Comment

• JCBills
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jamze132
                    We have a LOT of depth at LB now and I don't consider it one of our major weaknesses anymore. Of the plethora of young guys and vets we have, it will be a good mix of smarts and athleticism.

If Merriman is healthy, him and Barnett are going to create a great problem for the rest of the LBs to see the field, which will promote a lot of competition, which in turn makes the defense better.
                    What?

We have one person on the roster with NFL experience at OLB.

Also, how do people still not understand the difference between 3-4 and 4-3 OLBs?

If you were a 3-4 OLB 95% of the time they would be 4-3 DEs, not OLBs when switching.

Comment

• dasaybz
                      • Apr 2005

Our LBs are in very rough shape. I'm hoping one of the young guys can step up, but man this unit isn't looking very good right now. I'd really like 1 more veteran guy, and I'm hoping there will be a surprise cut in training camp that the Bills could jump all over.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by dasaybz
                        Our LBs are in very rough shape. I'm hoping one of the young guys can step up, but man this unit isn't looking very good right now. I'd really like 1 more veteran guy, and I'm hoping there will be a surprise cut in training camp that the Bills could jump all over.
                        Don't really agree.

Our LBs are in fine shape. Barnett should be even better in a 4-3 defense that will allow him more freedom, Sheppard's job will be simpler which will allow him to play faster and we have Morrison plus two draft picks that can do well at the SLB spot.

I think we will have a fast instinctive LB corps that will excel behind our DL.

Comment

• Raptor
                          • Jan 2009

Merriman is a DE, I honestly still don't understand why some can't grasp this

In any case Barnett is a gamer and is our best LB

Shepp I'm still on the fence. He had some good moments and some not so good moments so we will see this year

and I don't really care about who the third "starting" LB is because he'll barely see the field

Comment

• JCBills
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Raptor
                            Merriman is a DE, I honestly still don't understand why some can't grasp this

In any case Barnett is a gamer and is our best LB

Shepp I'm still on the fence. He had some good moments and some not so good moments so we will see this year

and I don't really care about who the third "starting" LB is because he'll barely see the field
                            Shep had some rookie moments but still had a strong rookie season. Got better as the year went on, and had never played in a 3-4 before. He should be more at home in the 4-3. Barnett is a gamer and he doesn't concern me. After that, who knows. Morrison isn't the greatest against the run and was backseated all last season. If anything he is a stopgap. Beyond that they have nobody proven. Yeesh.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by JCBills
                              Shep had some rookie moments but still had a strong rookie season. Got better as the year went on, and had never played in a 3-4 before. He should be more at home in the 4-3. Barnett is a gamer and he doesn't concern me. After that, who knows. Morrison isn't the greatest against the run and was backseated all last season. If anything he is a stopgap. Beyond that they have nobody proven. Yeesh.
                              Plenty of folks here hated on Weeden because he is 28, with nary an NFL lick hitting him. Barnett is 30, going into his 10th season of NFL competition.

When will he hit the so-called "wall?" Or is he another London Fletcher?

I have concerns.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X