PDA

View Full Version : do teams ever keep 10 olineman on their 53?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-15-2012, 06:45 PM
the reason i ask is because levitre/urbik/rinehart will all be ufa next year.

they have some young talent in colin brown and mike jasper at guard.

could they keep 10 olineman, with brown and then put jasper on the ps for 1 more year before he plays a bigger role next season?

and this is a big hypothetical, because rinehart played really well last year, but if jasper is better in training camp, will they cut rinehart and replace him with jasper?

Skooby
05-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Jasper is probably still a work in progress, based on hearing different I'd take that to be the case.

YardRat
05-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm not thinking Jasper is going to be ready to replace anybody this season either.

If you keep 10 for the o-line, who loses their roster spot?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm not thinking Jasper is going to be ready to replace anybody this season either.

If you keep 10 for the o-line, who loses their roster spot?

maybe hagan as a 6th wr, because smith can play 6th wr too

NOT THE DUDE...
05-16-2012, 01:19 AM
do some teams keep 10 olineman? i dont want to cut brown.

big, strong, and versatile. and he played well...

thats hard to find...

JCBills
05-16-2012, 01:28 AM
do some teams keep 10 olineman? i dont want to cut brown.

big, strong, and versatile. and he played well...

thats hard to find...

Colin Brown played 16 snaps last season.

JCBills
05-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Rinehart played exceptionally well. I wouldn't be shocked if they're trying to keep both Urbik and him long term.

Nix usually carries 7 if I remember correctly. 5 starters, an OT/OG and an OG/OC.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Colin Brown played 16 snaps last season.

i think he was active for 8 games and played half the denver game and the whole pats game...

he was good.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Rinehart played exceptionally well. I wouldn't be shocked if they're trying to keep both Urbik and him long term.

Nix usually carries 7 if I remember correctly. 5 starters, an OT/OG and an OG/OC.

thats the active gameday roster.

im talking about the 53?

JCBills
05-16-2012, 03:33 AM
i think he was active for 8 games and played half the denver game and the whole pats game...

he was good.

16 snaps at G. He did play 118 at C and was OK.

stuckincincy
05-16-2012, 08:30 AM
16 snaps at G. He did play 118 at C and was OK.

Kick 'em in the shins, then PUP him. I think that buys you time until week #7.

BillsOverDolphins
05-16-2012, 08:36 AM
I could see us carrying 9:

Glenn
Pears
Sanders
Urbik
Levitre
Wood
Hairston
Rinehart
Asper

Maybe 8, with Asper and Jasper on the PS. Love the depth though.

stuckincincy
05-16-2012, 09:01 AM
I could see us carrying 9:

Glenn
Pears
Sanders
Urbik
Levitre
Wood
Hairston
Rinehart
Asper

Maybe 8, with Asper and Jasper on the PS. Love the depth though.

8, perhaps. They have some G/T flexibilty with Levitre and probably with Glenn. I guess that's 1 more than the "norm" - but as Draftboy pointed out a while back, Brad Smith gives them some flexibility at 3rd qb - and opens up a spot.

I thought Gailey should have given Smith more snaps - when it was clear that last season was falling into the toilet.

BillsOverDolphins
05-16-2012, 09:11 AM
8, perhaps. They have some G/T flexibilty with Levitre and probably with Glenn. I guess that's 1 more than the "norm" - but as Draftboy pointed out a while back, Brad Smith gives them some flexibility at 3rd qb - and opens up a spot.

I thought Gailey should have given Smith more snaps - when it was clear that last season was falling into the toilet.
Agreed...Smith was under-utilized across the board, imo. In addition to QB, he also takes a WR spot which will help us carry one more OL or DL. Since we largely have crap at WR, the odd man out at that position won't matter. I think we roll with the 8 I listed above (maybe Asper too, but he could be PS), and for the DL I see us carrying 9:

M. Williams
K. Williams
Dareus
Anderson
Merriman
Troup
Heard
Carrington
Kelsay

stuckincincy
05-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Agreed...Smith was under-utilized across the board, imo. In addition to QB, he also takes a WR spot which will help us carry one more OL or DL. Since we largely have crap at WR, the odd man out at that position won't matter. I think we roll with the 8 I listed above (maybe Asper too, but he could be PS), and for the DL I see us carrying 9:

M. Williams
K. Williams
Dareus
Anderson
Merriman
Troup
Heard
Carrington
Kelsay

Well - that's a lot for the DL - the LB corps is kinda up in the air at the moment. Swinging Kelsay, Merriman into LB duty is out there, but with BUF (along with most clubs) getting stung re TE coverage recently, I dunno about that.

And you need bodies for ST duty.

BillsOverDolphins
05-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Well - that's a lot for the DL - the LB corps is kinda up in the air at the moment. Swinging Kelsay, Merriman into LB duty is out there, but with BUF (along with most clubs) getting stung re TE coverage recently, I dunno about that.

And you need bodies for ST duty.

Who needs ST'eamers when you have Nick Potter?:D

stuckincincy
05-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Who needs ST'eamers when you have Nick Potter?:D

Heh - I'm going to invoke my status as one of the ancients that know terms lost to time. If Potter irks my club, he may figuratively end up in a...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potter%27s_field

Sorry - couldn't resist - you pitched one into my wheelhouse. :D

Ed
05-16-2012, 02:13 PM
I doubt they would keep 10. I think 9 is the norm since they only dress 7 on game day.

I wouldn't worry so much about Colin Brown. If our young guys show enough and make our depth good enough that a player like Brown becomes expendable then that's a good thing. The best players will make the team and if Brown deserves it, he'll earn it. If he doesn't make it then hopefully it means we're improving, which in the end is all that matters. If Brown is good enough that they need to put Asper on the practice squad then so be it.

Realistically though, it's probably not likely that all of these guys are going to make it through the whole offseason healthy anyway. Any of those guys could be starting the year on IR or PUP. I think it's a little early to be worrying about Brown making the cut or not.