PDA

View Full Version : Could Bill Polian be the Buffalo Bills' next general manager?

YardRat
05-16-2012, 05:24 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120516/SPORTS0103/305160020/Could-Bill-Polian-Buffalo-Bills-next-GM-?odyssey=nav|head

When asked if he’d consider another GM job in the NFL, Bill didn’t close the door.“I’d take a look at it,” he said. “You never say never in this business but it would have to be an absolutely ideal situation and it would have to be something the family was comfortable with.”

Like a move back to Buffalo where the Polian children went to school and he and his wife still have close friends? Current GM Buddy Nix, 72, had his best offseason and deserves to see things through.But what if the Bills’ playoff drought hits 13 years? Would owner Ralph Wilson pick up the phone? He did it with Levy in 2006 to be his GM and I wouldn’t rule out him asking Polian, the best man he’s had in the job, back for a shot at recapturing past glory.

TMu11
05-16-2012, 05:26 AM
Would be incredible, but so far I like what this regime is doing. I'd say no unless we had a monumental collapse this season

Extremebillsfan247
05-16-2012, 06:02 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120516/SPORTS0103/305160020/Could-Bill-Polian-Buffalo-Bills-next-GM-?odyssey=nav|head

When asked if he’d consider another GM job in the NFL, Bill didn’t close the door.“I’d take a look at it,” he said. “You never say never in this business but it would have to be an absolutely ideal situation and it would have to be something the family was comfortable with.”

Like a move back to Buffalo where the Polian children went to school and he and his wife still have close friends? Current GM Buddy Nix, 72, had his best offseason and deserves to see things through.But what if the Bills’ playoff drought hits 13 years? Would owner Ralph Wilson pick up the phone? He did it with Levy in 2006 to be his GM and I wouldn’t rule out him asking Polian, the best man he’s had in the job, back for a shot at recapturing past glory. I just don't see Polian coming back. Doug Whaley is being groomed for the Bills GM spot under Nix. If Nix goes before Ralph does, well, you already know Ralph likes hiring in house. Whaley being the Assistant GM would be next in line. JMO

don137
05-16-2012, 06:31 AM
I just don't see Polian coming back. Doug Whaley is being groomed for the Bills GM spot under Nix. If Nix goes before Ralph does, well, you already know Ralph likes hiring in house. Whaley being the Assistant GM would be next in line. JMO
Agree 100%

Forward_Lateral
05-16-2012, 06:35 AM
I like what Buddy has done, and think he's on the right track. If he and the Bills part ways, why bring in another dinosaur? Let someone like Whaley take over. Someone who's hungry and youthful. Not someone who's looking for one last place to retire.

Saratoga Slim
05-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Not sure Polian feels all that kindly toward Ralph after their last parting of ways.

better days
05-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Not sure Polian feels all that kindly toward Ralph after their last parting of ways.

If you read the article in the Democrat & Chronicle, he does feel kindly towards Ralph & puts the blame on himself & his actions for Ralph firing him.

Luisito23
05-16-2012, 07:17 AM
I appreciate everything Bill Polian has done for this franchise, but there's no need to relive the past.

I'm very happy with Buddy right now, and I agree that Whaley should be next in line.

Historian
05-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Pipe dreaming in print.

Must have been a slow news day.

justasportsfan
05-16-2012, 09:20 AM
If you take into consideration as far as what happened in INdy when Peyton went down, I'd have to say no. As great as Polian was here in buffalo, he should have had more than one sb ring with Manning at qb.

Skooby
05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
We're all as likely to hit the lottery together than to have Ralph bring Bill Polian back, it's never going to happen (for several major reasons).

PTI
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I would like it. First thing he would do is actually find a real QB. That is what he does.

HAMMER
05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
The succession plan is in place, Polian is old as dirt, not happening.

Night Train
05-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Leo having a daytime dream.

Little else.

BertSquirtgum
05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
I would rather have some new blood in Doug Whaley.

better days
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
If you take into consideration as far as what happened in INdy when Peyton went down, I'd have to say no. As great as Polian was here in buffalo, he should have had more than one sb ring with Manning at qb.

I blame much of that on Manning. He was more concerned about being HIGHLY paid than he was about having GOOD players around him or he would have left some money on the table for Polian to work with.

It is like having a GREAT poker hand, but not having enough money to call the last bet.

DynaPaul
05-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Waste of an article. Polian's time in Buffalo is done. He had an awesome run and did so much for this team but he wont be coming back.

Bill Cody
05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
The succession plan is in place, Polian is old as dirt, not happening.

For the record, Nix is older dirt

Bill Cody
05-16-2012, 11:57 AM
I appreciate everything Bill Polian has done for this franchise, but there's no need to relive the past.

Yeah God forbid we relive the glory days.

PTI
05-16-2012, 11:59 AM
They tried plan B, Marv Levy, and realized fast how full of crap he was. It was all Polian who built that team. Marv was just an old man cheerleader with cute old man quotes who let the inmates run the asylum.

Bill Cody
05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Waste of an article. Polian's time in Buffalo is done. He had an awesome run and did so much for this team but he wont be coming back.

No it is very doubtful to say the least. I think we do have a succession plan. And there were hard feelings when Bill left. So I agree.

But.... the idea that he's too old or we'd be living in the past makes no sense. Pretty sure Polian hasn't gotten dumber with age. If he was interested we should be interested. It's like if Peyton wanted to come to Buffalo. Yeah he's old, injured blah blah blah but he's also one of the best of all time and might have something left. Just like Bill Polian. I'd take that chance in a heartbeat.

Call it a band aid, call it a short term fix whatever you want. I'm out in the desert here, if someone has a dixie cup full of water I should say no I have a 5 year plan??

Nuh uh.

Joe Fo Sho
05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
No it is very doubtful to say the least. I think we do have a succession plan. And there were hard feelings when Bill left. So I agree.

But.... the idea that he's too old or we'd be living in the past makes no sense. Pretty sure Polian hasn't gotten dumber with age. If he was interested we should be interested. It's like if Peyton wanted to come to Buffalo. Yeah he's old, injured blah blah blah but he's also one of the best of all time and might have something left. Just like Bill Polian. I'd take that chance in a heartbeat.

Call it a band aid, call it a short term fix whatever you want. I'm out in the desert here, if someone has a dixie cup full of water I should say no I have a 5 year plan??

Nuh uh.

Maybe he'd like to be hired as some sort of consultant...where Whaley would be our GM, and use the advice that he would obtain from having Polian on the staff.

I doubt either Whaley or Polian would be up for that, but who knows?

Bill Cody
05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Maybe he'd like to be hired as some sort of consultant...where Whaley would be our GM, and use the advice that he would obtain from having Polian on the staff.

I doubt either Whaley or Polian would be up for that, but who knows?

Dad can I borrow the car? Please???

baalworship
05-16-2012, 12:31 PM
The only role I would want for him is consultant or senior scout. I am sure Whaley or Nix would love to have his help. Polian is still one of the most respected front office guys in the NFL.

HAMMER
05-16-2012, 01:37 PM
For the record, Nix is older dirt

Thanks for that tidbit, I had no idea.

Mudflap1
05-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't think this would happen at all for all of the obvious reasons.

HOWEVER, if it did, it would mean the Bills sucked this coming year (as usual, by the way). In that case, how could anyone say it is not a good (no, GREAT) idea??? Bill Polian = playoffs on a constant basis, Super Bowl appearances, and great quarterback play. In other words, sustained success. As a refresher, when was the last time the Bills made the playoffs ONE time (as opposed to 11 out of 13 years and two Super Bowls such as the Colts during the same timeframe)? When was the last time the Bills had a great quarterback? Oh yeah, that's right.

But instead, let's take an unproven first time general manager groomed by someone who (in this scenario) would've been fired for not getting the job done?

Jon

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-16-2012, 06:31 PM
hard to believe this would happen but would welcome it

Beebe's Kid
05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
If this article comes out 3 months ago, there isn't a negative post about this idea, and some the same people would have been making the most noise about Wild Bill coming home.

That is interesting, as there have been no games played since that point in time. I know the off season has been filled with rare good news, but zero games...

For what it is worth, Polian comes with a built in succession plan...

better days
05-16-2012, 11:51 PM
For what it is worth, Polian comes with a built in succession plan...

And therein lies the biggest problem about any team hiring Polian.

Marvelous
05-18-2012, 03:57 PM
No way!
Arleast I hope not.
--his great team with us got him his career post-us.
But I sure lost ALOT for his Indy team(s).
Just awful. No Peyton an they barely win a game.
He deserved to be fired,not hired.
What the heck man. Is this a internet thing with these armchair
Out there comments/mentality.

HAMMER
05-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Any GM can look like a genius with Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning in the huddle.

better days
05-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Any GM can look like a genius with Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning in the huddle.

Well, Archie Manning played on terrible teams his entire career & he may have been a better QB than both Peyton & Eli.

Oaf
05-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I still don't like the Spiller pick. Bring on Polian.

Bill Cody
05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
What the heck man. Is this a internet thing with these armchair
Out there comments/mentality.

Yes it's an internet thing. We call it "Bills Zone".