PDA

View Full Version : Bills related, Brad Smith on the 700 Club.

blackonyx89
05-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Saw this story today and whether you're a Christian or not, it's a cool story about giving back to the community and helping out kids in the area,can't hate on that!
:D

www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspxs=/mp4/SUE279_BradSmith_051612_WS (http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspxs=/mp4/SUE279_BradSmith_051612_WS).

imbondz
05-17-2012, 04:38 PM
that link didn't work...

http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/SUE279_BradSmith_051612_WS

Night Train
05-18-2012, 04:18 AM
God told him to run the Wildcat ?

Oaf
05-18-2012, 09:14 AM
What's the 700 club? People who make 700k?

OpIv37
05-18-2012, 09:19 AM
What's the 700 club? People who make 700k?

It's a conservative Christian propaganda show that masquerades as a news program. I think it's run by Pat Robertson.

Good for Brad Smith for giving back, but I don't know why anyone would watch that crap.

Oaf
05-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Many accuse Christians of offending non-Christians with their judgements. From what I see, it's just as often the opposite that occurs.

Meathead
05-19-2012, 12:14 PM
oh god they took over the birth rate and now they comin for the 700 club!

Meathead
05-19-2012, 12:14 PM
better vote romney

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Just for the record:

I work from home 3x a week, and the 700 Club comes on after the morning news. Usually I turn it off but I was working on something and not paying attention to the TV. When I looked up, they were showing a story about a family that was tithing (giving 10% of their income to religious causes). The guy owns a construction company and was hit hard by the recession, but, despite having a family, they decided to "keep tithing when times were tough."

And, of course, God "rewarded" them in the end when business picked back up.

It's all a bunch of propaganda BS trying to convince people who don't have any money to keep giving to religion. Absolutely disgusting.

Jeff1220
05-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Just for the record:

I work from home 3x a week, and the 700 Club comes on after the morning news. Usually I turn it off but I was working on something and not paying attention to the TV. When I looked up, they were showing a story about a family that was tithing (giving 10% of their income to religious causes). The guy owns a construction company and was hit hard by the recession, but, despite having a family, they decided to "keep tithing when times were tough."

It's all a bunch of propaganda BS trying to convince people who don't have any money to keep giving to religion. Absolutely disgusting.

I know. Feeding and educating children through organizations like Compassion International or CMF is absolutely disgusting. Giving money to keep homeless missions/soup kitchens running in major US cities is absolutely disgusting. Providing meeting spaces and hope for recovering addict - absolutely disgusting. Providing school supplies for Blessings in a Backpack, who provides poor children with the supplies they need for school...absolutely disgusting. I could go on and on. Most tithing dollars are put to very good causes - If that's propaganda so be it. But disgusting it is not.

justasportsfan
05-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Just for the record:

So it's propaganda to follow whats written in the bible?

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 10:25 AM
I know. Feeding and educating children through organizations like Compassion International or CMF is absolutely disgusting. Giving money to keep homeless missions/soup kitchens running in major US cities is absolutely disgusting. Providing meeting spaces and hope for recovering addict - absolutely disgusting. Providing school supplies for Blessings in a Backpack, who provides poor children with the supplies they need for school...absolutely disgusting. I could go on and on. Most tithing dollars are put to very good causes - If that's propaganda so be it. But disgusting it is not.

Lmao.

How about giving to CBN to keep Pat Robertson on the air so he can warp other people's minds into giving him money so he can stay on the air? Any conflict of interest in that at all?

And yes, they made a point of showing the people writing checks to CBN.

And, even if religion does do all those things, how about feeding your kids and keeping the bank from foreclosing on your house before worrying about those other things?

Religion is asking people who can't even take care of themselves to try to take care of everyone else.

Oaf
05-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Just for the record:

10% from people who don't have any money isn't much.

According to the Christian belief, 100% comes from God anyway. So why would giving 10% to help those who have even less be disgusting?

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 10:31 AM
10% from people who don't have any money isn't much.

According to the Christian belief, 100% comes from God anyway. So why would giving 10% to help those who have even less be disgusting?

It isn't much to YOU. It's a lot to the people that actually have to give it up.

And it doesn't come from God. That's just what they tell you to get you to give them their 10% cut.

justasportsfan
05-21-2012, 10:32 AM
It isn't much to YOU. It's a lot to the people that actually have to give it up.

And it doesn't come from God. That's just what they tell you to get you to give them their 10% cut.

If you believe in the bible, everything comes from God.

Oaf
05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Religion is asking people who can't even take care of themselves to try to take care of everyone else.

1 Tim 5:8 Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.

Mindbender
05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Just for the record:

It's a matter of perspective.

My personal conviction is this: Everything I own is God's. He has blessed me with what I have to manage for a period of time. Tithing is just a reminder of that.

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 10:56 AM
It's a matter of perspective.

My personal conviction is this: Everything I own is God's. He has blessed me with what I have to manage for a period of time. Tithing is just a reminder of that.

That's fine if you can afford it. I personally don't agree with it, but it's America and you can believe what you want and do what you want with your money.

But if you can't feed your family and are about to get booted out of your house, maybe the mentality should be "God gave me this to take care of my family" and not "God gave me this just so I can give it back."

justasportsfan
05-21-2012, 11:05 AM
That's fine if you can afford it. I personally don't agree with it, but it's America and you can believe what you want and do what you want with your money.

But if you can't feed your family and are about to get booted out of your house, maybe the mentality should be "God gave me this to take care of my family" and not "God gave me this just so I can give it back."

If you have your own beliefs that isn't of the bible then so be it. It isn't however propaganda for those who believe in the bible to do what is written.

jmb1099
05-21-2012, 11:19 AM
God doesn't ask us to neglect our families. The verses that were quoted previously give evidence of that. Furthermore, if someone is having a tough time financially, there is help for that within the fellowship of believers.

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 11:23 AM
If you have your own beliefs that isn't of the bible then so be it. It isn't however propaganda for those who believe in the bible to do what is written.

Ummmm.....

1 Tim 5:8 Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.

Just another one of those parts of the Bible that contradict the other parts. But, why would Pat Robertson want you to know about this part when he benefits financially from the other part of the Bible that contradicts it?

Oaf
05-21-2012, 11:29 AM
There are a lot of corrupt people out there, Op. Yes, even some who call themselves Christian. But the Bible clearly teaches "family first".

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
God doesn't ask us to neglect our families. The verses that were quoted previously give evidence of that. Furthermore, if someone is having a tough time financially, there is help for that within the fellowship of believers.

but the whole segment had NOTHING to do with offering help from the "fellowship of believers." It was Pat Robertson encouraging people to keep giving even when they are struggling- the exact OPPOSITE of offering help. That's why it's propaganda.

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
There are a lot of corrupt people out there, Op. Yes, even some who call themselves Christian. But the Bible clearly teaches "family first".
And that's the problem with the show and with Pat Robertson.

justasportsfan
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Ummmm.....

Just another one of those parts of the Bible that contradict the other parts. But, why would Pat Robertson want you to know about this part when he benefits financially from the other part of the Bible that contradicts it?

PAt Robertson isn't telling anyone in this situation that isn't written in the bible. Yes, there are religious propaganda out there looking to further themselves financially or other but it isn't my plce to judge Pat or anyone else. Thats for God to decide.

If you think the bible contradicts itself then there's nothing I can tell you. You have your own beliefs .

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
PAt Robertson isn't telling anyone in this situation that isn't written in the bible. Yes, there are religious propaganda out there looking to further themselves financially or other but it isn't my plce to judge Pat or anyone else. Thats for God to decided.

If you think the bible contradicts itself then there's nothing I can tell you. You have your own beliefs .

I have no problem judging rich *******s using religion to convince people who are struggling financially to keep giving them money.

If you think the Bible doesn't contradict itself, you haven't read it very carefully.

justasportsfan
05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
but the whole segment had NOTHING to do with offering help from the "fellowship of believers." It was Pat Robertson encouraging people to keep giving even when they are struggling- the exact OPPOSITE of offering help. That's why it's propaganda.

"As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in her two mites. "Truly I tell you," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:1-4)

justasportsfan
05-21-2012, 11:59 AM
I have no problem judging rich *******s using religion to convince people who are struggling financially to keep giving them money.

It's a bigger sacrifice to give when you have less in life. God is more concerned about you achieving everlasting life than what you have here on earth.

See my last quote.

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 12:03 PM
It's a bigger sacrifice to give when you have less in life. God is more concerned about you achieving everlasting life than what you have here on earth.

See my last quote.

The practical consequence of that is suffering. I'll never understand why people continue to believe in a supposedly omnipotent God who not only allows suffering, but requests it in His honor.

justasportsfan
05-21-2012, 12:05 PM
The practical consequence of that is suffering. I'll never understand why people continue to believe in a supposedly omnipotent God who not only allows suffering, but requests it in His honor.

in the grand scheme of things, that suffering will mean nothing once you achieve everlasting life with God Himself.

PromoTheRobot
05-21-2012, 12:10 PM
I have a low opinion of Pat Robertson/700 Club because of some the insane things Pat has said like tornadoes happen because people don't pray enough. While allegedly practicing Christianity these guys are no where near the actually teachings of Jesus Christ.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
05-21-2012, 12:15 PM
in the grand scheme of things, that suffering will mean nothing once you achieve everlasting life with God Himself.

Surprise! You are worm food when you go. And you spent your entire life miserable and making others miserable, or killing or hating people who don't share your beliefs, or wrecking the planet so your descendants will suffer, all in the name of a deity who you expect will reward you with a pair wings and a harp at the Pearly Gates because you ate fish on Fridays.

The real crime of religion today is it distracts you from the true wonder of creation and the realization that your reward is being alive now. And the goal is to make sure our species and planet survive, and not be a selfish pig.

PTR

Oaf
05-21-2012, 12:16 PM

In the same light, God would have no problem judging Christians/non-Christians for the deeds they committed, but loved his creation so much he bore that judgement and died for them instead.

In golf, when a player hits a terrible tee shot, sometimes his group will allow him to try again without a penalty-- a mulligan. Pure grace. Because that's what humanity has received, or at least, afforded the opportunity to receive, we should live that way too and leave the judging to someone else.

PromoTheRobot
05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
In the same light, God would have no problem judging Christians/non-Christians for the deeds they committed, but loved his creation so much he bore that judgement and died for them instead.

In golf, when a player hits a terrible tee shot, sometimes his group will allow him to try again without a penalty-- a mulligan. Pure grace. Because that's what humanity has received, or at least, afforded the opportunity to receive, we should live that way too and leave the judging to someone else.

And yet people should offer each other grace instead of thinking God will take care of it. Passing the buck if you ask me.

PTR

jmb1099
05-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm not responding to the segment. I'm directly addressing your statements. I don't watch the 700 club. As far as biblical contradictions are concerned have you read the bible well enough to accuse someone else that they haven't?

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm not responding to the segment. I'm directly addressing your statements. I don't watch the 700 club. As far as biblical contradictions are concerned have you read the bible well enough to accuse someone else that they haven't?

It's not about me. justa made the claim that the Bible doesn't contradict itself, when clearly it does. Hell, the two quotes in this thread contradict each other.

jmb1099
05-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Surprise! You are worm food when you go. And you spent your entire life miserable and making others miserable, or killing or hating people who don't share your beliefs, or wrecking the planet so your descendants will suffer, all in the name of a deity who you expect will reward you with a pair wings and a harp at the Pearly Gates because you ate fish on Fridays.

The real crime of religion today is it distracts you from the true wonder of creation and the realization that your reward is being alive now. And the goal is to make sure our species and planet survive, and not be a selfish pig.

PTR
I'm going to find some common ground with you here even though our overall worldviews disagree. Most people don't realize how beautiful life is right now. Christians (myself included) tend to look past the present and spend far to much time trying to figure out the life to come. While eternal life is an important concept, so is this life. In fact, Jesus taught that eternal life actually begins the moment you become one of his disciples. That said, we were never meant to look past the present, instead we were taught that Jesus came to give us full and abundant life in the present. Now we would likely debate on what that might mean, but I believe that an increasing number of Christians realize the value and call of living in the present.

Oaf
05-21-2012, 02:48 PM
It's not about me. justa made the claim that the Bible doesn't contradict itself, when clearly it does. Hell, the two quotes in this thread contradict each other.
Do you truly believe giving away a tenth of your income, no matter how large/small your income is, is a device that contradicts taking care of one's family?

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Do you truly believe giving away a tenth of your income, no matter how large/small your income is, is a device that contradicts taking care of one's family?
yes, particularly for people at the lower end of the income scale. There are people who can barely buy food or make mortgage/rent as it is. Take off 10%, and the quality of life for them and their family goes WAY down.

jmb1099
05-21-2012, 04:22 PM
But your statements are about you. Don't you find your level of hostility toward the bible odd? You cite the bible because you claim people are forced to neglect their families to observe giving, but then you cite the bible for giving direction on family responsibility. And you speak of contradictions.

Jeff1220
05-21-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm not a fan of televangelists that line their pockets or the like, but the vast majority of churches uses the tithes of their congregations to do some massive good in the world. I'm far from rich, but I have not problem giving a small portion of what I have been given to help those who have less.
Over the next year of my life, my family will be sacrificing a lot to try to make a difference in live of people who have so much less. As Americans, our idea of suffering is so skewed, that the reality of it evades us. Many Americans would consider doing what my family is going to do as "suffering" but we are very content in our decision and find peace in it.
Heck, I heard a commercial on the radio the other day that said, "Do you suffer from toe nail fungus?..." I was thinking, "Really? Suffering?" Is unsightly toe nails what our society has come to think of in terms of suffering? Idk, I guess what I'm saying is that "suffering" is a matter of perspective. What one considers as such is another's well-considered sacrifice.

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
But your statements are about you. Don't you find your level of hostility toward the bible odd? You cite the bible because you claim people are forced to neglect their families to observe giving, but then you cite the bible for giving direction on family responsibility. And you speak of contradictions.
What the hell are you talking about?

The bible contradicts itself by giving directions to support the family while also giving directions to observe giving. Me citing it doesn't make me the source of the contradiction.

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Also, my hostility was about a televangelist, not the bible, and you perceiving it as being towards the bible shows your bias.

But that being said, given the horrific things that people do based on the bible, I don't think hostility is unwarranted at all.

gr8slayer
05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
It's a conservative Christian propaganda show that masquerades as a news program. I think it's run by Pat Robertson.

Good for Brad Smith for giving back, but I don't know why anyone would watch that crap.
Don't lie, man, you watch it all the time.

justasportsfan
05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
What the hell are you talking about?

The bible contradicts itself by giving directions to support the family while also giving directions to observe giving. Me citing it doesn't make me the source of the contradiction.
pretty obvious you don't understand what the bible is all about

BillsOverDolphins
05-21-2012, 10:45 PM
lol bible beaters.

I thought Pat Robertson hated minorities, tbh...

OpIv37
05-21-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm not the one who doesn't understand.

Yasgur's Farm
05-22-2012, 06:08 AM
You all have to learn that debating religion and politics is much like banging your head against a brick wall. Why? Because our political leaders are extremists who play "we the people" against each other. And, as for religion, we who believe in God will always be judged by non believers on the actions of extremists who claim there doings are of God.

That's about all I have to say about that.

PromoTheRobot
05-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Then I don't either. My impression is its a bunch of stuff written by different people over centuries that's mistaken for the word of god, as he/she wrote it. It's also full of contradictions that are used to justify almost any position you want. It's been translated, edited, and re-interpreted so many times it's hard to know how much of it's original meaning is still intact.

And yet people still take it literally, as Mr. Harold Camping of Family Radio did when he declared the world would end in May, then in October. His more gullible followers sold their possessions and gave Mr. Camping all their money so that others might be saved by his dire warning.

But that is the beauty of religion. You're never wrong. You only misunderstood god's intentions. You just dust yourself off and carry on. I don't know if there is a god, but I'm pretty sure few if any of the world's religions would recognize his/her true nature.

Humans need to be more humble. Yes, we are special. We are smart enough to comprehend the wonders of creation, but we fail to accept how tiny we are in the scope of creation. We place ourselves one step below god and claim to know his/her intent. Sometimes we even commit horrific acts in god's name because we think we act on god's behalf. That is the ultimate in hubris.

PTR

OpIv37
05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
You all have to learn that debating religion and politics is much like banging your head against a brick wall. Why? Because our political leaders are extremists who play "we the people" against each other. And, as for religion, we who believe in God will always be judged by non believers on the actions of extremists who claim there doings are of God.

That's about all I have to say about that.

"Their extremist interpretation is wrong, but my moderate interpretation is right. I know what God thinks/wants but they don't."

Please.

Yasgur's Farm
05-22-2012, 11:20 AM
I said ACTIONS... Not interpretation.

Furthermore... As far as your statement goes... Isn't that exactly what you're doing?

Mr. Miyagi
05-22-2012, 11:27 AM
There has to be a 700 Club drinking game we can play.

OpIv37
05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I said ACTIONS... Not interpretation.

Furthermore... As far as your statement goes... Isn't that exactly what you're doing?

Actions are based on the interpretations. You're arguing semantics.

And no, it's not what I'm doing because I'm not interpreting it at all. I think it's all bull**** and there's nothing to interpret.

OpIv37
05-22-2012, 11:34 AM
There has to be a 700 Club drinking game we can play.

that would be awesome, especially since it's on at 10 am on weekdays.

Yasgur's Farm
05-22-2012, 12:06 PM
OP... Have fun debating or acting or interpreting or...

See ya.

justasportsfan
05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Then I don't either. My impression is its a bunch of stuff written by different people over centuries that's mistaken for the word of god, as he/she wrote it. It's also full of contradictions that are used to justify almost any position you want. It's been translated, edited, and re-interpreted so many times it's hard to know how much of it's original meaning is still intact.

And yet people still take it literally, as Mr. Harold Camping of Family Radio did when he declared the world would end in May, then in October. His more gullible followers sold their possessions and gave Mr. Camping all their money so that others might be saved by his dire warning.

But that is the beauty of religion. You're never wrong. You only misunderstood god's intentions. You just dust yourself off and carry on. I don't know if there is a god, but I'm pretty sure few if any of the world's religions would recognize his/her true nature.

Humans need to be more humble. Yes, we are special. We are smart enough to comprehend the wonders of creation, but we fail to accept how tiny we are in the scope of creation. We place ourselves one step below god and claim to know his/her intent. Sometimes we even commit horrific acts in god's name because we think we act on god's behalf. That is the ultimate in hubris.

PTR

Start paying attention to whats been going on in the middle east which was prophesized in the bible. Start with God bringing back the jews to Israel in 1948 to whats going on in Iran, Syria, Turkey,Egypt , Saudi Arabia and the rise of the muslim bortherhood today. Specific nations/cities named in the bible . Don't take my word, just research it yourself.

BillsOverDolphins
05-22-2012, 12:31 PM
justa, please tell me you're trolling with this god-fearing charade.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Why is this thread even still open on this forum? it left football in like post 3
noone is going to ever convince either side of anything on a stupid football forum. its just typing practice for both sides and leads to ill will on all.
just kill the stupid thread.

and OpIv is completely wrong HAHAHAAH just had to get that one in :)

PromoTheRobot
05-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Start paying attention to whats been going on in the middle east which was prophesized in the bible. Start with God bringing back the jews to Israel in 1948 to whats going on in Iran, Syria, Turkey,Egypt , Saudi Arabia and the rise of the muslim bortherhood today. Specific nations/cities named in the bible . Don't take my word, just research it yourself.

And Obama is the Antichrist. No wait, that was Ronald Reagan because he survived an assasination attempt.

PTR

jmb1099
05-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Also, my hostility was about a televangelist, not the bible, and you perceiving it as being towards the bible shows your bias.

But that being said, given the horrific things that people do based on the bible, I don't think hostility is unwarranted at all.
You're hostility may have started with Robertson, but it certainly didn't stay there. We're actually have quite a bit of common ground regarding Robertson and the abuse that can and does occur through television "ministry". My father has fallen victim to Jim Bakkers scams so it hits really close to home. So if I have a bias in this it isn't necessarily what you think it is. That said, the bible didn't scam my father, Bakker did. As for the rest of it, youre a smart guy. If you really want to know more about biblical giving you'll find out on your own and probably not in a setting like this. At the end Of the day I wish you and your family well.

jamze132
05-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Ok, what's the bible all about?

jamze132
05-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Care to quote any bible "prophecies" that didn't excatly turn out as expected?

Why does christianity resemble ancient Egyptian belief so much?

Jeff1220
05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Seriously. why is this thread still in the BillsZone Football forum?