Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor
    • Jan 2009

Two Signings Away from Capping off nearly the perfect offseason in Western NY

The big news that broke last week for the Buffalo Bills and their fans was that Fred Jackson and the team had finally agreed to a new two year extension to his current deal. It was a deal that both the team and Jackson had been talking about doing for about a year. It also was a popular move among fans because Jackson is arguably the teams’ most popular player.

While the Jackson extension is a nice story there are two contract negotiations that are looming that are going to be more difficult to hammer out but just as if not more important than the Jackson deal. The players in question are Jairus Byrd and Andy Levitre. Both players are valuable pieces to this soon to be emerging Buffalo Bills team in 2012, they are both heading into the prime of their careers, and what may really make these extensions hard to pull off is if both players continue on their current development pace they will be two of the top 10 free agents next offseason and both will cash in.

Andy Levitre was drafted by the Bills in the second round of the 2009 NFL draft and has arguably been their best and most consistent offensive lineman over this time period. He has played at both LT and OC when injuries forced the Bills into tough spots along the offensive line. His best spot and the one that will get him paid is at LG. He has developed into one of the most complete guards in the NFL today. He is excellent in pass protection and has improved every year in his run blocking to the level of very good in this area. He is also one of the games most durable players as he has started every single game for the past three years. With the exploding numbers that offensive guards are getting if he happens to hit the market he will be very high on a lot of teams wish list as he has put together an excellent resume over the past three years and looks to add to it in his 4th year

Jairus Byrd burst on to the NFL scene with 9 interceptions in his rookie year in 2009. As with Levitre, Byrd was also drafted in the second round in the 2009 NFL draft. Byrd didn’t start from the get go but when he did get on the field he made it nearly impossible for the coaching staff to take him off of it as he kept making play after play in the passing game.........

NFL Draft Mock Draft and Prospect Rankings Buffalo Bills Draft Preview -Fitting the Bills profootballwarroom.com
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Two Signings Away from Capping off nearly the perfect offseason in Western NY

If they could get legit back-ups at center and FS, then it would be a nearly perfect off-season, IMO. Byrd and Levitre are next in line for extensions, but I wouldn't expect anything to get done with them until sometime mid-season at this point.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BUFF Bills
      • Feb 2009

Re: Two Signings Away from Capping off nearly the perfect offseason in Western NY

lets be honest with ourselves for a second... as much as i would love to have BOTH of these guys locked down already, the bills won't resign these guys until the last minute - just like the stevie contract. most everyone procrastinates until they feel the pressure of the deadline looming

Comment

• thenry20
        • Jan 2004

I have a feeling that Byrd is re-signed first. Well, i mean that he'll be the priority.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jun 2003

Not the perfect offseason even if those 2 re-sign, but it's a good one.
          Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Raptor
            My God. These non-credible blogging sites pop up like locusts.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
              PFW has been around for years now.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ThunderGun
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BUFF Bills
                lets be honest with ourselves for a second... as much as i would love to have BOTH of these guys locked down already, the bills won't resign these guys until the last minute - just like the stevie contract. most everyone procrastinates until they feel the pressure of the deadline looming
                Just like Freddy? Oh wait....

Comment

• Raptor
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Night Train

What, you prefer the insightful articles at ESPN?

Their writers are always up to speed and thought provoking especially on the Bills

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

If you had to pick one, which would it be?

For me, after watching 2011, it'd be Byrd.

Comment

• ThunderGun
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Oaf
                      If you had to pick one, which would it be?

For me, after watching 2011, it'd be Byrd.
                      I'd take Levitre. I think it's harder to replace a good lineman than a good FS. Levitre didn't look very good at Center, but he's a very good Guard, and a decent Tackle if need be.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BUFF Bills
                        they didn't procrastinate with both Fitz & Freddie. Bils love players that can play multiple positions. I doubt they let Levitre walk.IMO, Byrd will have to compete with Searcy in the new system before they make a decision.
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-17-2012, 09:09 AM.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Raptor
                          What, you prefer the insightful articles at ESPN?

Their writers are always up to speed and thought provoking especially on the Bills
                          I read Onion Sports for my information.

I prefer provoking over thought provoking/facts.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ed
                            Dude
                            • Sep 2002

I don't expect both players to get extended before the season starts, but I think both will get locked up before the season ends or the 2013 free agency period begins. Once they cut some higher priced vets like Dwan Edwards and Thigpen, that should help make it easier.

Anyone know how much cap space the Bills have left right now for this season?

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ThunderGun
                              I'd take Levitre. I think it's harder to replace a good lineman than a good FS. Levitre didn't look very good at Center, but he's a very good Guard, and a decent Tackle if need be.
                              There is nearly no depth behind Byrd at FS by contrast we have plenty of options at OG. As Chad Rinehart is a pretty good backup. Toss in Cordy Glenn, as I'm one of the few that don't think he'll make it as a LT, so we can then put him back at the position most feel he'll excel to possible Pro Bowl levels at OG.
                              Last edited by The Jokeman; 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X