PDA

View Full Version : Young getting last chance with Bills

Raptor
05-17-2012, 04:00 PM
........While Young won games in Tennessee, his time with the Titans was marred by immaturity, a lack of accountability and feuding with head coach Jeff Fisher. It ended badly. His football savvy was questioned. The Titans rightly pulled the plug after five seasons. The Eagles did the same after one season as Mike Vick's backup.

I talked to Young last month on SiriusXM NFL Radio and I wrote on FOXSports.com that he sounded delusional about his unemployed status. Young said he wanted to stay in Philly and the Eagles wanted him back, but coach Andy Reid told him he needed to be somewhere he could start.

It was sad listening to him say that. The Eagles employ a brittle quarterback in Vick. Their backup quarterback position is vital. The backup is going to play, just like Young did last year when he beat the eventual Super Bowl champion Giants in New York. Yet the Eagles passed on bringing Young back. They opted for Mike Kafka being a heartbeat away from game action. Let that sink in. They picked Kafka over Young and nobody really argued.

Think about it. Young’s name was tarnished so much in league circles that teams didn’t want him in the quarterback room. He won a game for Philly in the division on the road. Not only did Philly have no interest, but even quarterback-starved teams passed on him. Miami signed David Garrard, who didn’t play a single down last year due to injury.

Young said last month that he was looking for a place to start or at least compete. Instead, as most everyone else in the world realized, he would have to take a job as a clear backup and get his good name back..........

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Vince-Young-getting-last-chance-with-Buffalo-Bills-051712

Article Nails it

Anyone with a clue knows were and are Youngs last option

I still think he sucks but this offense is full of people who proved people wrong and maybe he's the next one

Joe Fo Sho
05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Wait, I thought teams were knocking down his door trying to sign him. Maybe he is just here to be the backup...

PromoTheRobot
05-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Obviously NFL GMs are terrible judges of talent. Don't they know his W/L record? His National Championship with Texas? Where he was drafted? His Madden number??? What part of 'no-brainer" do they not get???

PTR

better days
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, I am happy to have him in Buffalo as a back up to Fitz. VY led the Eagles to a win against the Giants in NY last year playing in a system he was not familiar with with no off season to learn it.

The guy can play football. I trust Buddy & Chan that they can keep his head on straight.

Beebe's Kid
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
This conversation is out of control. The guy is a decent player, who had potential to be great, but had his career derailed.

An FA QB who signs for $2 M AFTER THE DRAFT, is not a hot commodity. The poor dude's mental breakdown was publicized for the whole world to see...not going to drive up the price.

This is low risk, and he is not the savior of the franchise. He is a vet, who has too much talent to not take a flier, and too much baggage to pay a huge check to. What is the ****ing debate about?

Young is a backup, who is trying to find his way back to starting, and is doing whatever he can to try to get that chance...we had a QB play with broken ribs for half of the season because we had no worthy backup to give him a break. This is a match made in heaven. It also helps that there were no alternatives, which Buddy admitted looking for...again, what is the debate about?

Lone Stranger
05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Wait a second; Mike Schopp(WGR) likes him. Does he need anything else????

YardRat
05-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't think we are his last chance. He'll be on another team next season, unless he completely implodes between now and then.

Skooby
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't think we are his last chance. He'll be on another team next season, unless he completely implodes between now and then.

I don't believe that to be the case depending how things go here.

methos4ever
05-17-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't believe that to be the case depending how things go here.
I agree - assuming he gets on well with the staff and the team offers him an extension next season, unless he did get a shot to start somewhere else, he'd probably stay here...

YardRat
05-17-2012, 07:58 PM
I agree - assuming he gets on well with the staff and the team offers him an extension next season, unless he did get a shot to start somewhere else, he'd probably stay here...

He wants to start, and somebody will give him that chance. Just IMO.

Beebe
05-17-2012, 08:33 PM
I feel a little better at back up QB. 2 is better than one.

Extremebillsfan247
05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Vince-Young-getting-last-chance-with-Buffalo-Bills-051712

Article Nails it

Anyone with a clue knows were and are Youngs last option

I still think he sucks but this offense is full of people who proved people wrong and maybe he's the next oneI wouldn't necessarily call it a last option, but more like on a short leash. The moment he decides to overstep his bounds here, he's done as a member of the Buffalo Bills. That's why he was only offered a 1 year deal. It's not because of a lack of talent. He just has a natural propensity for rubbing coaches the wrong way. If he couldn't get Andy Reed to buy in, I don't know how he's going to work with Gailey. Reed passed on him for Kafka, and as the article states, that does say a lot. All I can say is good luck to him. I hope he succeeds here, but if he doesn't, there isn't a lot that can be said other than the Bills gave it a shot. That's my opinion.

jamze132
05-18-2012, 05:49 AM
If Fitz gets hurt and misses most of the season, the BillsZone will be going crazy asking Buddy to sign Vince Young to a long term deal.

Historian
05-18-2012, 05:52 AM
And if all else fails, ECMC has a great psych ward for him to recover in...

Dozerdog
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
.......er...UMMM....What?

Halfway through the article I got distracted by a link to 44 pictures of Paulina Gretzky

Ummmm....sure- sign Steve Young... got it

PTI
05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
I am sick of people saying we had no worth backup worth playing, that is so full of crap. It is a complete lie. Fitz was fine and cleared to play. It doesn't even make sense.

PTI
05-18-2012, 01:24 PM
It makes complete sense that Gailey, heck, even Fitz, and all his teammates knew Fitz was hurt, but they all knew and didn't mind knowing he wasn't going to play very well just because of how much they all like him. When the Bills were 5-8, they still could have sat their 60 million dollar franchise QB. Did they? No. Did he play well after that? No. After a chance at a .500 season was goine, why not sit him the last 2 games? Makes no sense to use injury as his excuse for poor play.

Meathead
05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
he sounds truly humbled and appears to have his head on straight. adversity and a new young family could be the tonic that drove the crazy right out of his head. weve seen it with ron mexico and thugnificent, maybe this will be the turning point for the next great reclaimation project

i mean, im not counting on it because other than winning games on a powerful defensive team and running his way to touchdowns hes never really shown the ability to be a good qb. but his press conference couldnt have gone better and if anybody can get him functioning properly on the field its chan

even if fitz comes out hot and stays that way, the backup is likely going to get some chances to play for extended periods. sure would be awesome to end up having another good option to turn to

better days
05-18-2012, 01:53 PM
I am sick of people saying we had no worth backup worth playing, that is so full of crap. It is a complete lie. Fitz was fine and cleared to play. It doesn't even make sense.

So you I guess you were happy with the way Thigpen played when he was given a chance.

PTI
05-18-2012, 02:00 PM
So you I guess you were happy with the way Thigpen played when he was given a chance.

He threw 8 passes total in 2 games that were already blowouts that the whole team had already given up on. Talk about throwing to the wolves. If you want to give Fitz credit for playing with injured OLINE and WR, Thogpen got to play with backups in his really short mop up time with backups to backups of injured OLINE and WR. It is crazy to even judge Thigpen on anything of last season. I never thought much of Thigpen but you have to be a real unintelligent person to so say even anything about Thigpen's play last season, or lack of of even getting a chance to play. It was dumb by Gailey to not let Thigpen play more last year.

stuckincincy
05-18-2012, 02:20 PM
I After a chance at a .500 season was gone, why not sit him the last 2 games?

Seems that these "flak jackets" are slimmer these days - beats me how. IIRC, BUF didn't report Fitz as injured.

But yes - given that the season was already swirling down the toilet, sense would have given Thigpen a look, see if he can hold a roster spot against competition.

Learn something for '12. Get some info about whether or not to expend a draft pick on a youngster.

If Fitz was really banged up bad enough to affect his play, shame on the coaches and the staff for not benching him. Yes, he might have balked at that. Contracts have $ for starts, teams have $ to be got and tix to sell if the starter remains.

Re Fitz - Watched him here in CIN when Palmer went down. It was a crappy team overall. I liked Fitz for his quick decisions. But while he has a decent arm, his legs and feet never impressed me if he went into a 5 step drop. Didn''t really show what's needed - that lower body power. Didn't settle and plant.

It's tough going to get a qb. BUF's sticking with Fitz - so I would have been working the phones on draft day to snag a TE on the (relatively) cheap. IND picked Fleener at #34 with that in mind; I suppose he will help out rookie Luck.

`

Mike
05-18-2012, 11:05 PM
VY is very athletic. Let me repeat, he is very athletic. Now, I would not say that he is a talented QB. QB position is one of the rare positions in sports which requires certain physical, mental, and emotional talents. From a physical point of view, he is talented. In the other two departments, which are far more important, he lacks talent and ability. Overall, he is not a talented QB but merely a gifted athlete trying to play QB.

Mike
05-18-2012, 11:35 PM
VY is very athletic. Let me repeat, he is very athletic. Now, I would not say that he is a talented QB. QB position is one of the rare positions in sports which requires certain physical, mental, and emotional talents. From a physical point of view, he is talented. In the other two departments, which are far more important, he lacks talent and ability. Overall, he is not a talented QB but merely a gifted athlete trying to play QB.

BertSquirtgum
05-18-2012, 11:41 PM
If Young wasn't such a ****** he could surpass Fitznoodle in camp because of his physical abilities.