PDA

View Full Version : I'm actually a little excited about this football season.

OpIv37
05-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid- I don't think we have a chance in hell at winning the Super Bowl.

But, over the last few years, following this team became almost a chore. It's like visiting a sick friend in the hospital. You go to hang out with him because you've always hung out with him, but it's awkward every time because you don't want to see him in that condition and he doesn't really want to be seen in that condition. It sucks, but you keep doing it anyway because you both know he needs the support.

This season feels different. Yes, the team still has a few glaring weaknesses, but this is the first time I feel like the team actually tried to get better since the year they signed Spikes and Fletcher, and, barring catastrophic injuries, it should be a lot better.

Of course, I start every football season with the homer in me hoping that the Bills win the SB. But, my more realistic hope is that they can at least be good enough that every game matters, instead of being realistically eliminated with 6 games left and mathematically eliminated with 4 games left.

This is the first time in a LONG time that I feel like they might actually be able to pull that off.

MikeInRoch
05-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Who are you and what have you done with the real Op?

BillsOverDolphins
Testify! OP!

MikeInRoch
Seriously, tho - I tend to agree with you, however, the fact is that with the emotional beat down this team has given me in the last decade or so I'm afraid to be optimistic.

OpIv37
05-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Who are you and what have you done with the real Op?

I've long maintained that I'm a realist and not a pessimist.

I call it as I see it.

Obviously it's early for predictions, but as things stand right now, I see no reason why this team shouldn't be significantly better than last year.

OpIv37
05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Seriously, tho - I tend to agree with you, however, the fact is that with the emotional beat down this team has given me in the last decade or so I'm afraid to be optimistic.

yeah, there's that too.

"Cautiously optimistic" should be a frequently used phrase around here this off-season.

PromoTheRobot
05-17-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't buy it for a minute, Opi. You LOVE it when the Bills are bad! It's not a chore. In fact I bet you get a raging b---r thinking about it.

PTR

BertSquirtgum
05-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Me too, that's why I spent $1,200 on season tickets again for the first time in three years.

Thief
05-17-2012, 11:38 PM
I've long maintained that I'm a realist and not a pessimist.
Dont all pessimist think that?

better days
05-17-2012, 11:42 PM
I said it before, I'm looking forward to seeing the optimistic side of Op this season.

SquishDaFish
05-18-2012, 03:08 AM
OH ****!! The world really is coming to an end

jamze132
05-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid- I don't think we have a chance in hell at winning the Super Bowl.

But, over the last few years, following this team became almost a chore. It's like visiting a sick friend in the hospital. You go to hang out with him because you've always hung out with him, but it's awkward every time because you don't want to see him in that condition and he doesn't really want to be seen in that condition. It sucks, but you keep doing it anyway because you both know he needs the support.

This season feels different. Yes, the team still has a few glaring weaknesses, but this is the first time I feel like the team actually tried to get better since the year they signed Spikes and Fletcher, and, barring catastrophic injuries, it should be a lot better.

Of course, I start every football season with the homer in me hoping that the Bills win the SB. But, my more realistic hope is that they can at least be good enough that every game matters, instead of being realistically eliminated with 6 games left and mathematically eliminated with 4 games left.

This is the first time in a LONG time that I feel like they might actually be able to pull that off.
What a homer!

Night Train
05-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid-

OK, I stopped reading right there...:rofl:

I agree. This feels different, without having to wear the homer glasses.

YardRat
05-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Should be a fun season.

Mr. Miyagi
05-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Buddy has done his job and can retire now that Op is happy.

ddaryl
05-18-2012, 08:18 AM
always excited for football season. It's usually when regular season gets a month or 2 in is when I give up for the year..

Hoping that's not the case this year

Extremebillsfan247
05-18-2012, 09:31 AM

This is the first time in a LONG time that I feel like they might actually be able to pull that off. Uh oh, umm... :father: Just in case. :roflmao:

justasportsfan
05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
NO! OP you can't have my avatar! Although for the right price...... :scratch:

Extremebillsfan247
05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
NO! OP you can't have my avatar! Although for the right price...... :scratch: Don't do it, Kelsay stood up to Super Mario.. Super Mario man. :homer: Inspiration. :beers:

TigerJ
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Just make sure you take your blood pressure medicine before you get too excited, Op. We don't want to lose you.

justasportsfan
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Don't do it, Kelsay stood up to Super Mario.. Super Mario man. :homer: Inspiration. :beers:

Kelsay doesn't need the money. I do.

Skooby
05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Lot's of mental masturbation here, you'll be tearing them apart right around week 6.

OpIv37
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Lot's of mental masturbation here, you'll be tearing them apart right around week 6.
It depends on how they do. If they're 2-4, damn straight I'll be tearing them apart. If they're 5-1, I'll give them their due.

Skooby
05-18-2012, 12:01 PM
It depends on how they do. If they're 2-4, damn straight I'll be tearing them apart. If they're 5-1, I'll give them their due.

How about 3-3 with a NYJ / NE split ??

OpIv37
05-18-2012, 12:04 PM
How about 3-3 with a NYJ / NE split ??

It depends- if they're keeping it close and losing on dumb mistakes that can be fixed, I won't be happy but I won't assume the season is shot at that point.

If they're 3-3 with 3 one-score wins against the weaker teams and 3 blowout losses to the better teams, I'm not going to feel too confident about the last 10 games.

don137
05-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Elizabeth, this is the big one. I'm coming to join ya.

thenry20
05-19-2012, 03:21 AM
I don't buy it for a minute, Opi. You LOVE it when the Bills are bad! It's not a chore. In fact I bet you get a raging b---r thinking about it.

PTR

I've never thought I'd hear word that here. So wrong. It's like casually mentioning our wives'/GF's menstrual cycles.

trapezeus
05-19-2012, 08:16 AM
its the first time in a long time that the bills on paper actually look good.

that's at least the step in the right direction. if you put teams together that look good on paper consistently, sooner or later it has to take. there are no guarantees for the bills this year. but it's so much better than in years past

Scumbag College
05-19-2012, 10:06 AM
I hope Op doesn't start ****ting rainbows and ponies. If that happens, I'm outta here.

Skooby
05-19-2012, 10:08 AM
I hope Op doesn't start ****ting rainbows and ponies. If that happens, I'm outta here.

He wears rainbows all the time, so you're half out the door.

The Beef
05-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I believe the way the team is built, it's on Fitz for the team to make that next step. If the team stay relatively healthy ther is no reason to not compete. Been wih an unproven #2 WR there are plenty of weapons, Stevie, Fred, Nelson, Spiller and Chandler (in the red zone).