PDA

View Full Version : 3 receivers that could be interesting targets for us

jimbohastle51
05-19-2012, 02:21 AM
1)Braylon Edwards- If his knee is healthy and he would take another low cost 1year deal (it will be lower than the 3.5 million he got from SF last year) he would be worth the risk. 1yr 2million would make him a nice risk considering we are only going to ask him to do what he does best. GET DEEP!

2)Plaxico Burress- Some of you will eat me up for this but the truth is all he would be used for is when we are on the scoring side of the 30 yard line. I would take him at 1yr and around 1.5 million with maybe 500k worth of incentives (which is about all he is going to get) all day. He has shown he has matured and its pretty obvious he does not want to go far from NYC which puts us within a reasonable distance.

3)Roy Williams- He had another down year with the Bears last year. It's kinda sad that a player with the skill set that he has just can't put it together again. If we would give Vince Young a chance why not Roy Williams? He would actually be a perfect vet to bring in through training camp just to compete with our guys. If he made the team or not he would be good to have in camp for competitive purposes alone.

I just have a feeling another receiver is going to be brought in. Last year they were patient after Poz signed in Jax and i have a feeling they are going to bring someone in after cuts start happening but i figured these are 3 names that are out there and 2 of them in Edwards and Williams would be low risk low cost players. Plaxico actually was productive last year with 8 TD catches and honestly I wouldn't care if he only played sparingly.

can you imagine him in a 4 wide set across from Stevie and David Nelson? one on one Plax proved he doesn't drop TD catches and he doesn't need a ton of separation to make them.

anyways this is at least good discussion. Have at it folks.

BillsOverDolphins
05-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Would love Edwards if he's healthy.

thenry20
05-19-2012, 02:59 AM
I like your rationale on the first two but not the third. If it can be done for those numbers I say why not?

As fasts as Graham is I don't see him helping us on the offensive side of the ball this year but he should be used on kickoffs and punt returns. I hope Chan plans to use him on ST somehow.

Marvelous
05-19-2012, 03:19 AM
I see your intent & agree we need a veteran WR.
But none of them are leaders.
And this is what's missing from our WR corp.

-FYI about Roy Williams- I was really pushing we trade Lee Evans for Roy when he was in Detroit & we had TrentEdwards. Because Trent needed
Clutch & possession, NOT speed-demon like Evans.
I was right about Evans being useless to us, what I didn't know was that he had -0- gas in his career tank. Sad.
-I've said it repeatedly,but there's too many posters to recall who says what etc.
My family are very loyal to our Drafted players & even though they aren't elite,I/we really get more outta the games when ya see familiar guys you know every aspect of their game. Look how many of us are Kelsay experts. Hips of molasses ,but elite run stuffer & Phil hansen type pass rusher when his hands in the dirt & he gets the RT 1on1, ESP if it's a TE. That's a sack or forced pass /INT.
Same for McGee McGee is/was special. Poor guy just can't stay healthy. Sadly,his roster spot is questionable now. Unless he's a leader.
--We all know he paints shy for the Ralph's wife. Roster spot=secured! Lol

YardRat
05-19-2012, 03:36 AM
I'm OK with going with the young guys we've got at WR at this point. If we're going to pick up an aging vet or two for short-term depth, I'd rather it be at C, FS or maybe even LBer.

Night Train
05-19-2012, 05:49 AM
There's a reason 31 other teams aren't talking to them either.

Don't Panic
05-19-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm really surprised Plax is still out there. I thought he rebounded nicely last year. I think he has the best chance of the three of the to have a productive year.

THATHURMANATOR
05-19-2012, 08:18 AM
I see your intent & agree we need a veteran WR.
But none of them are leaders.
And this is what's missing from our WR corp.

-FYI about Roy Williams- I was really pushing we trade Lee Evans for Roy when he was in Detroit & we had TrentEdwards. Because Trent needed
Clutch & possession, NOT speed-demon like Evans.
I was right about Evans being useless to us, what I didn't know was that he had -0- gas in his career tank. Sad.
-I've said it repeatedly,but there's too many posters to recall who says what etc.
My family are very loyal to our Drafted players & even though they aren't elite,I/we really get more outta the games when ya see familiar guys you know every aspect of their game. Look how many of us are Kelsay experts. Hips of molasses ,but elite run stuffer & Phil hansen type pass rusher when his hands in the dirt & he gets the RT 1on1, ESP if it's a TE. That's a sack or forced pass /INT.
Same for McGee McGee is/was special. Poor guy just can't stay healthy. Sadly,his roster spot is questionable now. Unless he's a leader.
--We all know he paints shy for the Ralph's wife. Roster spot=secured! Lol
Huh?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-19-2012, 08:21 AM
no no no ugh

SquishDaFish
05-19-2012, 08:50 AM
I really would love to see us give Roy a shot. Wouldnt mind Plax either

NOT THE DUDE...
05-19-2012, 09:33 AM
roy williams is a terrible wr. i saw him in detroit a ton.
braylon and plax are on the downside....

please, just develop graham, easley, jones...

SABURZFAN
05-19-2012, 12:37 PM
roy williams is a terrible wr. i saw him in detroit a ton.
braylon and plax are on the downside....

please, just develop graham, easley, jones...

Easley doesn't have the heart.... (pun intended)

Ginger Vitis
05-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Huh?

I understood everything he said until he brought up Ralph Wilsons wife..lol

Mr. Pink
05-19-2012, 01:19 PM
1. HELL NO

2. Intriguing

3. See 1.

BUFF Bills
05-19-2012, 01:47 PM
what about dallas clark? i haven't seen him mentioned anywhere and TE is definitely a need for us. i think the fact that he hasn't been signed by anyone yet means that we could get him somewhat cheap, and you know he could come in and contribute from day 1...

Beebe
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Plaxico Burress-I think he would be the best fit for us just because of his clutch catching when you most need one on a 3rd down or a touchdown and that's what we most need.

Raptor
05-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Don't want any of the 3, all more name than game

ublinkwescore
05-19-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm sure plaxico and stevie would be best friends after Stevies td celebration where he mocks shooting himself in the leg... no thanks to plaxico.

Beebe's Kid
05-19-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm OK with going with the young guys we've got at WR at this point. If we're going to pick up an aging vet or two for short-term depth, I'd rather it be at C, FS or maybe even LBer.

I don't get the develop the young guys thing. They may actuall benefit from having vet. Not only the extra target, but they can only have to be here for a year.

Everynody always sneezes at any FA that was an All-Pro, the anybody else is too old and washed up. Does anybody remember what's Plax did to us last year? The dude can play, and I is money in the red zone.

BertSquirtgum
05-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Plax is who I would rather have the most.

jimbohastle51
05-19-2012, 04:30 PM
In my opinion I like Plax for 1 year. I like him on the outside with 40yards or closer to the end zone more than any other receiver we have besides Stevie J. if we got him for around 2 million for 1 season I think there is almost no way he doesn't catch at least 6TD's (unless Fitz isn't getting him the ball). He has proven he doesnt drop TD catches throughout his whole career and he average has averaged 6TD's a season for his career. I don't care if his skills are declining because we would be only asking him to play on a situational basis.

2 million for 6TD's is a fair price. besides Stevie J. we do not have another proven scoring threat. one season for chandler and Nelson do not make them proven scoring threats. You put 4 wide at the 20 or closer with SJ13, and Plax on the outside with Nelson and Chandler in the middle and that is a seriously dangerous red zone passing attack. You could not double team ANY of them with fredex at tail back/receiving threat.

Meathead
05-19-2012, 06:56 PM
no, nein, and nyet

the bills are loaded with prospects at wr2, including a rookie they made a move to get in the draft. jones, easley, graham - somebody out of that group is going to surprise and take control of the job. the bills run mostly 3+ wr anyway and they got nelson established in the slot, the wr2 doesnt have to be a game breaker just serve a reliable role - whether that be as a long ball threat (graham) or a powerful possession wr (easley) or a combo of the two (jones)

besides, all three are sorta head cases and who need that. if somebody really intriguing came available then sure take a shot with him, but none of the three mentioned at the top of the thread are really worth their reduced late career production or the drama they seem to bring everywhere

Marvelous
05-19-2012, 07:43 PM
On my part/comments about Ralph's wife--
--iPhone typos are brutal.
--McGee is probably safe Because he paints canvas for the Ralph's wife.
A joke,not good enough for this amount of attention. Oye

Marvelous
05-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Don forget how involved Spiller & ESP Frd jax is in the recieving game.
It's not a coincidence that fitz struggled w/out 22.

YardRat
05-19-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't get the develop the young guys thing. They may actuall benefit from having vet. Not only the extra target, but they can only have to be here for a year.

Everynody always sneezes at any FA that was an All-Pro, the anybody else is too old and washed up. Does anybody remember what's Plax did to us last year? The dude can play, and I is money in the red zone.

You bring in an aging vet, he has to take somebody's spot on the roster.

If we get banged up at WR early I'd be OK with bringing Plax in, but only under those circumstances.

jimbohastle51
05-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Don forget how involved Spiller & ESP Frd jax is in the recieving game.
It's not a coincidence that fitz struggled w/out 22.

He was the least sacked QB in the NFL this past season and he is an NFL starting QB that still had his whole receiving core healthy, I can't give him a pass because Jackson was out. Spiller filled in just fine. He just didn't get the job done. No excuses. If in fact it was from a rib injury than there is no excuse for him to not start hot right from the get go. keep in mind when he first injured those ribs it wasn't just his decision to keep playing through it when he was playing so poorly. If coach Gailey had confidence in Thigpen in that offense he could have said Fitz you need to rest for a game or 2. Here lies the reason Vince Young is here. Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey both know that It wasn't Fred's injury that cost the the playoffs. It was not having a quarterback that could come in for a couple games and let Fitz rest up for a couple weeks. If that injury or one like it were to happen this year then you can bet Chan will have Fitz sit a week or two and heal now that Young is here. If Fitz play is like it was towards the end of last year though we will see Young sooner.

zone
05-19-2012, 10:00 PM
He was the least sacked QB in the NFL this past season and he is an NFL starting QB that still had his whole receiving core healthy, I can't give him a pass because Jackson was out. Spiller filled in just fine. He just didn't get the job done. No excuses. If in fact it was from a rib injury than there is no excuse for him to not start hot right from the get go. keep in mind when he first injured those ribs it wasn't just his decision to keep playing through it when he was playing so poorly. If coach Gailey had confidence in Thigpen in that offense he could have said Fitz you need to rest for a game or 2. Here lies the reason Vince Young is here. Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey both know that It wasn't Fred's injury that cost the the playoffs. It was not having a quarterback that could come in for a couple games and let Fitz rest up for a couple weeks. If that injury or one like it were to happen this year then you can bet Chan will have Fitz sit a week or two and heal now that Young is here. If Fitz play is like it was towards the end of last year though we will see Young sooner.
When was his whole receiving core healthy?

Ginger Vitis
05-19-2012, 10:11 PM
On my part/comments about Ralph's wife--
--iPhone typos are brutal.
--McGee is probably safe Because he paints canvas for the Ralph's wife.
A joke,not good enough for this amount of attention. Oye

Thanks for the explanation.. I guess this partly explains why Florence got cut and McGee is still a bill..

Ginger Vitis
05-19-2012, 10:12 PM
the bills are loaded with prospects at wr2,

They have options..not sure they are prospects though

BillsOverDolphins
05-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Lol "loaded with prospects at #2 wr"...det was a good one.

YardRat
05-20-2012, 05:09 AM
Lol "loaded with prospects at #2 wr"...det was a good one.

They are loaded with 'prospects'...Graham, Aiken, Easley, Jones, Hagan, Clowney...even Smith. All could probably fill the #2 spot, none have established themselves.

pros·pect - a potential or likely candidate.

Oaf
05-20-2012, 12:47 PM
No way on any of those.

jimbohastle51
05-20-2012, 02:33 PM
When was his whole receiving core healthy?

well ya got me. Donald Jones was injured. I don't even count parrish or easily. Parrish was gone in the second game of the season and we still went on a tear for a few games without him. Easley for all we know won't even make the roster. He is a maybe and you can't count a player that has never even made it through an NFL training camp let alone 1 regular season game as part of the receiving core. If you are trying to say that Parrish and Jones would have been the difference in Fitz play then you are entitled to you opinion and though i don't think either one were factors in Fitz production drop I will accept your opinion.

BertSquirtgum
05-20-2012, 04:32 PM
no, nein, and nyet

the bills are loaded with prospects at wr2, including a rookie they made a move to get in the draft. jones, easley, graham - somebody out of that group is going to surprise and take control of the job. the bills run mostly 3+ wr anyway and they got nelson established in the slot, the wr2 doesnt have to be a game breaker just serve a reliable role - whether that be as a long ball threat (graham) or a powerful possession wr (easley) or a combo of the two (jones)

besides, all three are sorta head cases and who need that. if somebody really intriguing came available then sure take a shot with him, but none of the three mentioned at the top of the thread are really worth their reduced late career production or the drama they seem to bring everywhere

i don't know why people keep putting jones name along side the #2 position. he ****ing blows.

better days
05-20-2012, 04:47 PM
i don't know why people keep putting jones name along side the #2 position. he ****ing blows.

Well, Meathead did say somebody out that group could surprise. If Donald Jones was that guy, it would be a BIG surprise.

Oaf
05-20-2012, 04:55 PM
If Steve Johnson gets hurt, get one or two of these guys in a uni.

better days
05-20-2012, 04:58 PM
If Steve Johnson gets hurt, get one or two of these guys in a uni.

If Stevie gets injured (GOD forbid) I would rather resign TO myself than any of those three.

Meathead
05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
im not a big jones fan but he did win the job out of camp and made some big catches early in the season. then he caught a strange case of marble paws. then he got injured for the year. so really who knows which jones will show up but its not like its all that uncommon for a first time starter to struggle mightily his first time in that role. hes included because of those three he has the experience that might allow him to overcome those first timer jitters and emerge

honestly i dont think anybody else on the roster has the capability to become a real wr2. they appear all to be role players who at best could platoon that spot but would never be able to make it their own. you never know but i honestly think it will come down to the three i mentioned if nobody significant is added to the roster

YardRat
05-20-2012, 08:02 PM
I hope it's Easley.