PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Winfield contract?

BillsFanInMass
07-05-2003, 08:46 AM
I havent had time to be on my computer lately. I was hoping we got this extension done . Do you think it will happen.

ublinkwescore
07-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Hope so.

But I haven't heard/read anything about it.

ArcticWildMan
07-05-2003, 01:29 PM
I don't think Winfield will get an extension. The FA market next year is flush with good CB's and I think TD will move to more of a cover CB rather than the run stopping CB that Winfield is.

BADTHINGSMAN
07-05-2003, 07:54 PM
If not Winfield then it better be Charles Woodson. Read somewhere his contract was up. But you never know what TD is thinking.

jchild178
07-06-2003, 07:13 AM
i agree with you wildman 100%

Doc
07-06-2003, 08:28 AM
I think that if Winfield is expecting a huge payday, he'll be allowed to test the FA market at the end of the season. If he has a great season however, the Bills may consider FP'ing him like they did with Price, in order to get something in a trade.

clumping platelets
07-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Since the FA market in 2004 is flush with top flight CBs, TD will not be able to do the same thing as with Price. There was no top flight WRs available except for Price and Boston and Boston was scooped up quickly by SD, thus demand > supply. Next year will be different

I bet he signs a new deal before the season

The_Philster
07-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
I bet he signs a new deal before the season

I :pray: you're right. We've got a good duo at CB...let's not split them up if we can help it.

venis2k1
07-06-2003, 10:48 AM
TD is too smart to sign Winfeild right now, the flush of FA and good rookie CBs next year are gonna drive CB prices waaaaaaaaaay down.

TypicalBill
07-06-2003, 11:42 AM
This is the latest thing about his contract

He'll be entering his fifth NFL season and has been one of the most productive players for the Bills the past few seasons. In 2001, he led the team in tackles (106) -- the first cornerback in Bills history to accomplish that feat -- and he's excited about the upcoming season.

His original five-year contract with Buffalo expires after 2003 and he hopes to sign an extension before training camp opens for veterans on July 26.

``I'm in a contract year, so this is going to be fun,'' he said, with a huge, friendly smile. ``I'm ready to get to work.''

Link (http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/6199911.htm)

TypicalBill
07-06-2003, 11:43 AM
the article is dated June 29th

ryguy8161
07-06-2003, 04:00 PM
But you'll be hard pressed to find another Cornerback that will match up with Clements as well as Winfield can. They did go to the same college.

Doc
07-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Good point on the FA market for CB's Clump. I usually don't miss that sort of thing.

ryven
07-07-2003, 07:41 AM
Winfield is better cover CB than every one gives him credit for the last 2 seasons he has had to play the run a little more closely because of our D this season he will be allowed to do the job he was drafted to do he may not intercept the ball like clements but he is a shut down style CB which in my opion is just as good just as long as the opposing WR doesn't get catch the ball i dont care whether he knocks it down or intercepts it just as long as the job gets down.

LtBillsFan66
07-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by ryven
Winfield is better cover CB than every one gives him credit for the last 2 seasons he has had to play the run a little more closely because of our D this season he will be allowed to do the job he was drafted to do he may not intercept the ball like clements but he is a shut down style CB which in my opion is just as good just as long as the opposing WR doesn't get catch the ball i dont care whether he knocks it down or intercepts it just as long as the job gets down.

:up:

Right! If they don't throw your way, you're not going to get any picks! This year should be different with a pass rush and all.