PDA

View Full Version : Cornelius Bennett vows to help make football safer

YardRat
05-21-2012, 06:17 AM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/05/cornelius_bennett_vows_to_help.html

Cornelius Bennett remembers Buffalo Bills teammate Mark Kelso as a pass-pick*ing safety and the guy with the funny looking helmet.

Kelso, like Auburn product Steve Wal*lace of the San Francisco 49ers, was ahead of his time, wearing a double-layered hel*met to help protect against concussions.

Ensley native Bennett thinks that's a step that should be considered more often by today's NFL players. But as the chair*man of the NFLPA Former Players Board of Directors, he thinks it's only a small step toward a safer game.

"We know the bubble helmets protect the head. But no matter what kind of hel*met you have, there's no way to protect the brain if you take the wrong kind of hit," Bennett said. "A Kevlar helmet won't stop brain trauma with the wrong kind of hit. But we're making changes on a daily basis. Football is a great game, and we'll make it safer."

Bennett has vowed to leave his brain for post-mortem studies of trauma caused by playing football as a star at Ensley, an All-American at Alabama and as an All-Pro linebacker with the Bills.

Monday, he helps a different cause. The Second Annual Cornelius Bennett/ Children's Village Golf Challenge is sched*uled for 1 p.m. at Greystone. The celebrity and amateur scramble's purpose is to raise funds for Children's Village, which is touted as the only basic placement facility in Jefferson County that allows brothers and sisters to stay together when faced with a broken-home situation.

imbondz
05-21-2012, 10:17 AM
go back to leather helmets and there'll be no more head to head collisions. problem solved.

Ed
05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
go back to leather helmets and there'll be no more head to head collisions. problem solved.
There would still be concussions though. A leather helmet isn't going to do anything for you when your head hits the ground. That's how a lot of concussions actually occur.

ServoBillieves
05-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I truly am confused by this entire conundrum. This is a 100 MPH game, 100% speed and toughness given every play. Injuries will happen. Injuries happen in basketball, hockey (Pat LaFontaine anyone?), soccer, Tiger Woods says golf, fussball, darts, whatever.

If you don't want to get hurt, then DON'T PLAY. DON'T PLAY THE DAMN GAME! The NFL needs to help out veterans and ex players, this is a given, but this should be it. I played football up until mid college, I suffered 3 concussions, and yet when asked to play I said "yes".

A quick rundown on the very basics of football:
1) Every player wears a helmet, shoulder pads, girdle, thigh pads, knee pads, and a cup. Those who are smart wear a chest vest, butt pad, and wrap their ankles.
2) In your position: If you're a receiver, protect your ankles/legs. Wear wraps that don't interfere with your cuts and routes, and protect your head with a helmet if you're told to go across the middle.
3) The entire point of the game, when you play offense, is to score points. That's as simple as it gets. The point of the game for the other team is to score points and to stop you from scoring points. That means when the ball carrier is on the field, you do anything that you can to bring him down. It's that. Damn. Simple.

If you have a problem with it, write a blog about it and cry to NFL.com. If you feel bad for the players who willingly put themselves in the position, refer to the previous sentence. Do I want players to be injured? No, not at all, but when you turn a quarterbacks "hit range" in to a strike zone (below the letters, above the cup) and someone just so happens to sack a QB by the ankle it's 15 yards...

The current players/media/ESPN/fans need to shut the **** up about player safety. If they are that worried, then leave the game. Use your Liberal Arts degree and go do something else. I am never happy when a player goes down with injury, but they have put themselves in the position. Safety is an issue, but don't curtail the entire game to it.

We want big hits, we want excitement. Their 401K is exponentially better than ours, so they can either stop whining, they can quit, or they can play for the love of the game.