• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Where are our holes now?

This offseason we've re-upped a lot of our own and brought in players to fill our positions of need. Our defense has gone from our weakness to now our strength. Plenty of depth at DB and DE, and a good list of players with lots of potential at LB. With Kyle Williams back our DTs are fine with still decent depth with Troupe and Spencer. Offensively, we filled the hole at OT with Cordy Glenn, kept Freddie and with Spiller getting better and re-upped with Choice our RB depth is good. Vince Young fills the #2 QB spot and we still have Brad Smith if he really does know how to throw the ball though we've never seen it yet (bye bye Pigpen). Chandler will still be the huge target at TE and with Stevie resigned and Graham drafted our WRs are decent, maybe that's where the hole is.

What do we still need now? Whatever position we still need, we now have a premium at DBs so maybe we can dangle McKelvin as trade bait. Does Detroit have any decent #2 WR we want, other than Megatron of course? I know they desperately need a CB.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Where are our holes now?

I'd say we're still pretty thin on talent at LB - we have potential at 2 spots but no guarantees whatsoever other than Barnett.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

#2 WR is the most glaring hole. Graham is completely unproven.

Tackle/OL depth is probably #2. Again, you can't count on unproven rookies.

DB is looking up, but once again, relying on rookies. DL is by far the strength of the team, so hopefully that will make life easier for the DB's and the LB's.

I do think the D is significantly improved, but the O is a couple of injuries away from a disaster.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

until Gilmore and Williams prove anything , there are holes at cb due to youth.

Kyle and Wood's health are still questionable .

Fitz's consistency is still a questionmark.

We still don't have and established no.2 at wr.

lb'ers aren't proven. Barnett is moving to a new position.
        No Established LT
        Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

If Graham and Easley both come through, and Glenn can start from day 1, we're in good shape, but that's a lot to ask.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            #2 WR is the most glaring hole.
            But we have Easley....duh!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              until Gilmore and Williams prove anything , there are holes at cb due to youth.

Kyle and Wood's health are still questionable .

Fitz's consistency is still a questionmark.

We still don't have and established no.2 at wr.

lb'ers aren't proven. Barnett is moving to a new position.
              No Established LT
              I'd add TE to that list, or at least better depth behind Chandler.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                The Voice of Reason
                • Jul 2007

When reading the thread title... I had so many childish answers...

But as stated numerous times before, depth is our issue. Starters seem very solid, even foolproof, but with the Bills injury history those who have to fill in for said starters will be the question mark.

If you had talked to me in the offseason before FA and the draft, not only me but we all would have said pass rush. FA starts, BAM, there it is, and not even rookies it's proven vets. LB, we address in the draft and we have an experienced second year guy in the middle. Aside, We have Barnett (the best LB we have) and other young talent on the outside and Morrison as a stop-gap if one goes down.

Safety is set. Scott as a rover is set. At CB, Op already said that the inexperience will be the issue. It's a few first rounders and some decent depth, but against great QB's they're unproven.

A line of Hairston - Levitre - Wood - Urbik - Pears, that seems pretty good to me. The only replacement to that 3-0 start last year is Hairston, who proved worthy after Taco-Bell went down. Behind that we add Cordy Glenn and Zebrie Sanders who can both swing, and when inevitably Wood tweaks something, we at least have PS insurance in Asper.

We still have the epitome of said "no names" at WR. We have Chandler, who fell silent mid season, and behind him at TE we have a dog scrap-fight for #2. I'm pulling for my buddy Dorin but it really just seems like a dogpile and the first person who grabs the disc that says "#2" wins.

Fred, CJ, Stevie, Scott, David, and Graham (unproven, but will be primarily a distraction) are weapons.

To answer the question, the holes are at WR and TE depth. I'd say a bit more with LB, but we have a myriad of vets and untapped talent.
                Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

nobody knows until they put the pads on and injuries start to mount.

on paper were in solid shape. No team in this league has no holes, they just find creative ways to minimize holes and compensate for weaknesses they do have

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Oh well, this thread started off in the right direction...

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

I wouldn't say we have a premium at DB. Don't be surprised if they draft another DB highly next year.

IMO, here's our needs in tiers:

Tier 1: WR, LB, TE
                      Tier 2: QB, OT, S, C
                      Tier 3: OG, CB, DE, DT

That's just my opinion (and one that frankly, I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about). QB will become a Tier 1 if Fitzpatrick doesn't show well this year, and CB could also move up depending on our young players.

WR is absolutely a need, and I think we'll take one in the first couple rounds next year. LB and TE are both in big need of playmakers, IMO, but in the end, neither positions is really all that important (especially 4-3 LB's). A couple of key signings/re-signings and one more good draft and Buffalo should be stocked for a run.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

For depth? You absolutely can count on them.

Feel free to name one team that doesn't count on rookies for at least depth purposes. That's kind of why you draft players - so they can contribute, whether that's starting or depth.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Depth, Depth and more depth.

One or two injuries would still cripple this team.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                            • Sep 2003

#2 WR is the most glaring hole. Graham is completely unproven.

DB is looking up, but once again, relying on rookies. DL is by far the strength of the team, so hopefully that will make life easier for the DB's and the LB's.

I do think the D is significantly improved, but the O is a couple of injuries away from a disaster.
                            And yet rookies are where tomorrow's Pro Bowlers come from.

PTR
                            10 Commandments of the D
                            1. Never stop Rocking.
                            2. Legalize all drugs.
                            3. Quit your day job.
                            4. All Religion should be taxed.
                            5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                            6. F**k her gently.
                            7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                            8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                            9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                            10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ServoBillieves
                              When reading the thread title... I had so many childish answers...
                              so where are they
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X