• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

NFL owners vote for new rules

NFL: Thigh, knee pads mandatory

ATLANTA -- The NFL has made thigh and knee pads mandatory equipment for the 2013 season, something the players' union could oppose because the move was not collectively bargained.

Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, chairman of the competition committee, says Tuesday at an owners meeting that because this is a playing rule, the league can implement it unilaterally.

The owners also voted to move the trading deadline from after Week 6 to after Week 8, and to allow one "marquee" player placed on injured reserve to return to practice after the sixth game and to the lineup after the eighth game. That player must be on the 53-man roster after the final preseason cut.

The NFL made thigh and knee pads mandatory equipment for the 2013 season, something the players' union was not pleased with.

kinda weird they mentioned the most significant rule last. but i wonder what defines the 'marquee' designation
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: NFL owners vote for new rules

The pad rule could have a real affect on receivers and cornerbacks.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by YardRat
      The pad rule could have a real affect on receivers and cornerbacks.
      only in that they'll have to wear them...they're going to wear the lightest, smallest possible pads and the effects on their speed/agility will be negligible.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
        • Jun 2005

I like those rules.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

How many times have you seen a replay where a guy gets kneed in the head and comes up with a concussion? It seems it happens fairly regularly.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

The 1 guy off IR helps the Bills, you know why.

Comment

• Slim
              • Apr 2004

I wish they'd expand the practice squad by a few players.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

Now can we get rid of that stupid kickoff rule? I want to see some actual returns.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

I think the NFL should consider allowing players placed on IR to return to active duty with the team that placed them on IR without being released. I don't understand why the league thinks is better that they be lost for the season.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

they instituted the ir rule to prevent teams from stockpiling players for the following season. just imagine a team like the cowboys or the cheaters having thirty guys on 'ir' every season - every time a replaceable player gets a hangnail its 'oop put him on ir'

so i understand the reasoning for the rule, but it does seem to go too far sometimes. i think thats what they are getting at with the 'marquee' designation, that a player who isnt easily replaceable be able to come back at some point if their injury will require them to lose a bunch of games but not the whole season, im just not sure how they do that. maybe you only get so many of those retractable irs per season, or maybe its your highest payed players, idk
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                      Pinkerton's son
                      • Feb 2006

I thought there was some discussion about potentially changing the IR rule to allow teams to have 2 different options for IR - full season and partial. I think its a great idea as well.

Comment

• Mike13
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
                        The 1 guy off IR helps the Bills, you know why.
                        It means Ed Wang is always welcome in Buffalo?

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Meathead
                          they instituted the ir rule to prevent teams from stockpiling players for the following season. just imagine a team like the cowboys or the cheaters having thirty guys on 'ir' every season - every time a replaceable player gets a hangnail its 'oop put him on ir'

so i understand the reasoning for the rule, but it does seem to go too far sometimes. i think thats what they are getting at with the 'marquee' designation, that a player who isnt easily replaceable be able to come back at some point if their injury will require them to lose a bunch of games but not the whole season, im just not sure how they do that. maybe you only get so many of those retractable irs per season, or maybe its your highest payed players, idk
                          It looks like one player on IR will be allowed to return to play. Teams won't waste that one move on some scrub special teams player. They will save it in case an elite player gets injured.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                            short bus extraordinaire
                            • Jul 2002

do these rules apply to acehole and his mom when they're getting passed around in the Jets and Giants locker room?
                            Originally posted by yordad
                            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
                              How many times have you seen a replay where a guy gets kneed in the head and comes up with a concussion? It seems it happens fairly regularly.
                              The type of kneepad could make this worse, not better.

If the kneepad is soft foam, no big deal If it's a hard kneepad like skateboarders or motorcycle riders wear, a knee to the head is going to feel like getting smashed with a rock.

I don't think the answer is more pads. I think the answer is LESS pads, or softer pads. The reason is because defenders wear pads too, which means they become physically harder/heavier and more fearless when going for hits.

Something has to give, because at the rate we're going, we're about 5 years away from every player wearing those full body pads that they use for training police dogs and playing in a fully-padded rubber room.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X