PDA

View Full Version : OFF-SEASON GAME PLAN: BUFFALO SABRES

chernobylwraiths
05-23-2012, 05:48 AM
The Buffalo Sabres embraced a new owner with deep pockets last summer and spent big on free agency, only to stumble early and miss the playoffs.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at a Sabres team that has the talent to be a playoff contender. Will they be willing to chalk up their disappointment in 2011-2012 to bad luck or bad seasons and re-set with much the same group next season?

The Sabres did go 19-5-5 on a stretch from late January to late March, which got them back into the playoff discussion, but the early hole they put themselves in was too much to overcome. If there are positives to be gleaned from that second half performance, however, the Sabres may not be looking to overhaul the roster this summer.

more (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396554)

Meathead
05-23-2012, 09:35 AM
i wish the plan was to fire darcy and make lindy gm

i dont hate darcy or anything but his tenure as gm has produced only limited success and of course no titles. you can say the same thing about lindy but he only provides so much organization direction from the bench all those years. plus darcy has no experience as a coach so he himself is limited

now that lindy is much older and more experienced id like to see him get more direct control over the entire operation. he appears to be more widely respected than darcy and would bring that advantage through the league. he would also be able to be harder on the coaches as he could fire them and take control of the bench until he found a proper replacement. that would likely instill the desperation that appears to be sorely lacking among the players as compared to other successful clubs

but its a pipe dream. its going to take another collapse before darcy is moved. that could also send lindy packing, and of those two i would definitely rathe keep lindy, which is why i wish theyd just make the move now

OpIv37
05-23-2012, 09:55 AM
This team has some pieces in place. With Myers, Regher, Setlzer, Erhoff, and McNabb, the D is not in bad shape. Hodgson should be a nice offensive addition, and I'm not as high on Ennis as some, but I do think he has a significant role. If Tropp, Foligno and/or Adam step up, our 2nd through 4th lines should be in good shape.

I just don't think this team is ever going to win as long as they rely on Roy, Vanek, Pominville and Stafford. The article dismisses Vanek's streaky play because of injuries, but he has always been streaky. Roy has never been the top player he's advertized to be, save one 35 game stretch in 10-11. Pominville stepped it up last year but I don't think he can be relied on long term. Stafford is a contract year player.

SabreEleven
05-23-2012, 11:26 AM
After watching the playoffs and seeing the toughness you need to win, how many players on this team have the toughness along with the skill to win in the playoffs? That kill Roy and Stafford right off the bat in my book.

OpIv37
05-23-2012, 11:40 AM
After watching the playoffs and seeing the toughness you need to win, how many players on this team have the toughness along with the skill to win in the playoffs? That kill Roy and Stafford right off the bat in my book.

And it hurts guys like Ennis, Hodgson and Gerbe as well. Certainly they're tougher than Stafford and Roy and don't use their size as an excuse, but we can't win with an entire team of undersized skill guys.

It didn't work with the "almost" teams we had right after the lockout and it certainly isn't going to work now that they've loosened up on some of the penalty-calling.

Skooby
05-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Roy earns too much money for helping the opposing teams score.