• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Coach Lee and Fitz working on mechanics

thought this was a good read.. Hopefully it will make the difference in improving Fitz's accuracy issues.

“I’ve never really had a technician as a coach,” said Fitzpatrick. “I’ve kind of always just gone out there and thrown. And I don’t know why I go out and throw like I do. I just go out and do it. To have a coach like him that’s able to sit there and say, ‘Hey you missed this throw six times last year and you missed it low every time. Here’s why…’ That makes a lot of sense for me. That’s something that I can process and now I understand why I’m doing it and can correct it.
    If it is true that Fitz has never had a coach that was able to break down his mechanics then I'm hopeful that we will see a improvement in accuracy. Unlike other QB coaches that were brought in to fix other Bills QB's.. I believe Wyche was here for Losman and nothing ever changed...

I still find it quite peculiar that no coach has ever broken down Fitz's mechanics. not at Harvard, St. Louis or Cincy... that just seems like something that every team from college on would be looking at....

(PTI need not apply)
    Last edited by ddaryl; 05-24-2012, 08:23 AM.

• Fixxxer
    • Jul 2002

Re: Coach Lee and Fitz working on mechanics

I hope Fitz can absorb every piece of knowledge Lee throw his ways. If Fitz can improve some on those WTF throws he has at times, it will make a big difference for him and the offense.
    I was really excited with Lee's signing, this is why.
    Last edited by Fixxxer; 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• ddaryl
      • Jan 2005

Everyone agrees Fitz's weaknesses is his average accuracy. If a few simple mechanical adjustments can be made and burnt into his mechanics via muscle memory then I believe Fitz can make a solid jump in overall performance.

I stand by Fitz as our QB over many other options based upon the way he reads a D and can make a quick decision. IMO almost every single QB that fails at those 2 traits never succeed in the pros (Losman & Edwards are 2 examples of the lack of those traits)

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Lee and Fitz are a good combination of a great QB coach and a guy with the intelligence to understand and hopefully implement his suggestions.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Lee has more of a reputation as an expert on the mechanics of passing than just about any other QB coach out there from what I understand. Maybe Fitz has had QB coaches who did some of that, but just aren't as thorough or meticulous as Lee is. I think it can help, but I doubt it will be a complete makeover for Fitz. It will also help if he can avoid getting his ribs bashed in, not have a bunch of season ending injuries on his offensive line, have his receivers not drop the ball as much and have his defense cut down greatly on the points they give up. I said on another message board in a thread on this subject, I don't think Fitz is ever going to be a great QB, but by building a better team around him and helping him do some little things right, hopefully he can be a winner.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

One thing about Fitz is I remember someone say one time, I think it was Gailey, that it blows him away how quickly he retains stuff and he is so intelligent.
            If coach Lee can identify and fix some of Fitz's mechanics which leads to better accuracy then that would be a huge plus for this team because while a serviceable QB, Fitz is still a huge question mark on this team as far as getting the production needed to be successful.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

I hope Lee can do to Fitz what he did for Chad Pennington. Just when you think Chad was old enough that you couldn't teach him new tricks, he played his best football in his 1ST year with a new team at miami under Lee as the qb coach.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

lets not forget that as the first full time starter last year fitz raised his compl% five full points from his previous two seasons here all by himself. those five points are a huge deal, that pushed him from the mediocre starting qb range to quality starter level. prior to last season i said i didnt think he could end the season over 60%, but he did and im glad i was wrong

if he can end this season at anything above 65% that would put him in at least bottom rung elite territory. again, i dont think he can do it, those three measly pcent points are going to be hard to gain. but if lee can help him turn just 1-2 of those wtf passes into completions per game he should be able to do it. and if he does there should be no further question about his status as a legit franchise qb
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• PTI
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Meathead
                  lets not forget that as the first full time starter last year fitz raised his compl% five full points from his previous two seasons here all by himself. those five points are a huge deal, that pushed him from the mediocre starting qb range to quality starter level. prior to last season i said i didnt think he could end the season over 60%, but he did and im glad i was wrong

if he can end this season at anything above 65% that would put him in at least bottom rung elite territory. again, i dont think he can do it, those three measly pcent points are going to be hard to gain. but if lee can help him turn just 1-2 of those wtf passes into completions per game he should be able to do it. and if he does there should be no further question about his status as a legit franchise qb
                  Pretty easy when all you complete are 7 yard passes.

Comment

• zone
                    No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by PTI
                    Pretty easy when all you complete are 7 yard passes.
                    And there goes what was a good intelligent discussion.
                    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• PTI
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by zone
                      Edwards got killed for a constantly checking down. How come Fitz doesn't? It is not like Fitz has a higher YPA, he doesn't.

Fitz has terrible mechanics. He is in his 8th season, it would silly to go through changes at this point, he just needs to make better decisions, he is not nearly as smart as people give him credit for. I could care less about his mechanics, just make better decisions.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by zone

It was only a matter of time. Did you expect anything better?
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• PTI
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Meathead

Fitz has been the starter for the majority of 4 straight seasons now, he has the 15th most starts of person living on planet earth over the last 4 seasons. The he is a new starter is old, worn out, and not true.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by PTI
                            The he is a new starter is old, worn out, and not true.
                            Truth, but he's only been the starter here for 1 3/4 years.
                            Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 05-24-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              I hope Lee can do to Fitz what he did for Chad Pennington. Just when you think Chad was old enough that you couldn't teach him new tricks, he played his best football in his 1ST year with a new team at miami under Lee as the qb coach.
                              I'd have to debate that some.

Pennington's best year of football IMO was 2002, his 1st full year as a starter in NYJ

his 2nd best was the 1st year in Miami.... Not 100% sure Lee had any real affect here.

It's really hard ot guage what Lee has done for QB in his career. the man has bounced around so much. When he was with Dallas from 2003 - 2006 he worked with 4 different QB starters. Quincy Carter, Vinne Testeverde, Drew Bledsoe, Tony Romo. In Miami Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Moore.

Here is a stat of interest.... The majority of the main starting QB's he has worked with have had 60% completion %'s.... But that really doesn't tell a whole story because Pennington almost always completed 60% before Lee, and Bledsoe had 60% years sprinkled in before Lee. Henne and Romo might be an indication of what Lee can do with QB's...

Fitz complete 62% in 2011.. so this baseline is already established

Lee's Pro QB's. Haven't looked at what he might have done for his college days yet

Comment

Working...
                              X