X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

New scheme, Mario, look good -- on paper

The Buffalo Bills' new-look defense passed the eyeball test in its first day on the football field Tuesday.

"I think defensively on paper it looks really good," said defensive tackle Kyle Williams. "But, that doesn't mean anything. I think we've talked about that in our room today, that everything looks great on paper but we haven't done anything yet. Nobody has made a play, nobody has done anything -- no matter what you've done in the past years. There's a lot of work and a foundation has to be laid. That's what we're doing now. That's what we're going to do in training camp so hopefully we hit the ground running in September. But our goal is to be a great defense."

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: New scheme, Mario, look good -- on paper

I think it's a little odd that they have Spencer Johnson lining up at LDE and Carrington playing DT.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ed
      I think it's a little odd that they have Spencer Johnson lining up at LDE and Carrington playing DT.
      This coaching staff, for whatever reason, loves to tinker with small changes that make little sense schematically.

Last year it was Moats being moved from being a productive OLB to ILB even though everybody knew that it wasn't a wise move. He eventually ended up back at OLB.

As long as they keep the tinkering to the 2nd and 3rd team its not a huge deal.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ed
        Its not odd if you know that you want to keep Carrington on the roster and most likely cut Johnson.

We will keep 4 DEs: Williams, Anderson, Kelsay, Merriman.

Which means that if they want to keep Carrington he needs to perform as a DT. Most likely they don't want Johnson taking away from Carrington's reps as a DT knowing Johnson will be the odd man out anyway.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

D-LINE: Working with the starting defensive line in individual drills were, left to right: Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay. On the second team were, left to right, Spencer Johnson, Dwan Edwards, Kellen Heard and Mark Anderson. On the third team were Kyle Moore, Jarron Gilbert, Alex Carrington, Robert Eddins and Jay Ross were rotating on the third team. When the 11-on-11 team drills took place, Kyle Williams sat out. On the first team were Mario Williams, Dareus, Edwards and Kelsay. On the second team were, left to right, Spencer Johnson, Heard, Carrington and Anderson.

O-LINE: Center Eric Wood is six months into his knee rehabilitation. He was not practicing. Neither was right tackle Erik Pears. The first-team offensive line was: left tackle Cordy Glenn, left guard Andy Levitre, center Colin Brown, right guard Kraig Urbik, right tackle Chris Hairston.

RBs: It’s obvious watching any Bills practice that Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller are two of the more talented players on the team. They always look good. Tashard Choice, the former Georgia Techster and Dallas Cowboy, was No. 3. Backing up fullback Corey McIntyre was ex-Pitt Panther Dorin Dickerson, who’s more of a receiving-blitz-pickup fullback at 226 pounds.

LBs: Middle linebacker Kelvin Sheppard was flanked by Nick Barnett on the weak side and Kirk Morrison on the strong side. Working with the second team were middle man Scott McKillop, flanked by outside men Nigel Bradham and Danny Batten. Arthur Moats and Bryan Scott, a hybrid safety-linebacker, got a good amount of work in sub packages

Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM.
          sacrifice1

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
            Its not odd if you know that you want to keep Carrington on the roster and most likely cut Johnson.

Which means that if they want to keep Carrington he needs to perform as a DT. Most likely they don't want Johnson taking away from Carrington's reps as a DT knowing Johnson will be the odd man out anyway.
            Maybe, but I think Spencer Johnson plays his best as a 4-3 DT. I actually really like him as DT depth. I'd much rather see Dwan Edwards get cut than Johnson. It just doesn't really make much sense to me to play guys out of position just so certain guys can make the team or whatever. I'd rather just see everyone do what they're best at and let the chips fall. If you have to make tough cuts at the end then so be it, it just means you actually have decent depth.

It's not really a big deal to me either way. I trust that Wanstedt and the coaches know a lot more about this defense then I ever will, but I just find the postion changing odd.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

Troup = gone.
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Luisito23
                Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                • Apr 2003

Spencer Johnson has been a waste of space ever since he came from Minnesota.

Just cut that guy and be done with it.
                "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I think they keep 5 DE's, and Johnson will be one of them. Carrington should also make the team as a DT, unless Troup is healthy and really steps it up a couple of notches.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Interesting that Batten is taking reps at LB.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      New scheme, Mario, look good -- on paper
                      why we talk like injun?
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Yeah, in the end, I think Carrington can probably be something of a hybrid end/tackle. He's got to do a lot more on the field than he's done so far in his career though.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                          • Oct 2002

I feel bad for Carrington. He played DE in college and seemed to be a good prospect as an NFL 3-4 DE. The Bills moved him to OLB for a while and now at DT while moving back to a 4-3 scheme. Just seems like things like this slow the development of a player.
                          Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• wmoz11
                            • Sep 2008

Not worth a new thread, but Sirius NFL Radio has been doing power rankings (Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt, to be specific). Marvez had the Bills 12th and Brandt had them 13th.

Just shows how high (for us) expectations are this season.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
                              why we talk like injun?
                              me thinks Palladin Warrior write title.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X