PDA

View Full Version : How the Bills can win 10 games in 2012

Coach Sal
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
My blog post on it. The more I kept looking at it and breaking it down, the more realistic I thought it was/is....

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/13288928.php?contentType=4&contentId=10727197

buffalobillsfan95
05-31-2012, 01:53 PM
This is acctually reallistic! It's a given there will be a few surprise losses and wins. But this year, every game is acctually not a reach. As long as we avoid the injury bug, and continue to upgrade the depth, we should win at least 9 to 12 games. And good write up, always love them

jamze132
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Makes sense as long as we don't lose key contributers, especially on offense.

THRILLHO
05-31-2012, 02:04 PM
While ten games may be attainable there is always the chance that ten is not enough. Especially in the AFC.

alnilla
05-31-2012, 02:16 PM
While ten games may be attainable there is always the chance that ten is not enough. Especially in the AFC.

Gotta just win the division.

Coach Sal
05-31-2012, 03:03 PM

Of course. As stated in the blog, it happens. But it is almost always enough. It just may take also winning the tie-breaker with another team.

And last year in the AFC, and 8-8 team won it's division and made it and a wild card team was 9-7. The SB champ was 9-7, too.

In 2009, both wild card teams in the AFC were 9-7.

The Pats didn't even make it with 11 wins in 2008.

Ed
05-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Playoffs or not, 10 wins is still 10 wins and would be the best season this franchise has had this century.

stuckincincy
05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Makes sense as long as we don't lose key contributers, especially on offense.

I'm still not sold on M. Williams. HOU let him walk without a peep; BUF pounced in - IIRC, nobody else was slavering after him. That last big contract?

PTI
05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Not possible with the roster they have.

Meathead
05-31-2012, 03:38 PM
not true

houston didnt have the cap space

and the bills gave him enough so that he didnt leave here and go where other teams surely would have signed him

im as surprised as anybody we really did it, but cmon your pessimism on him is baseless

stuckincincy
05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
not true

houston didnt have the cap space

and the bills gave him enough so that he didnt leave here and go where other teams surely would have signed him

im as surprised as anybody we really did it, but cmon your pessimism on him is baseless

Don't know about HOU's cap - but it looks as if they didn't think him worth it overall, to their team. He got all-pro, pro bowl awards during 2007 to 2009. Injury history - he's now a 7 year vet. His total tackle numbers are pedestrian.

He's certainly gonna be a big cap bite for BUF. Williams' new contract is worth up to $100 million, with $50 million guaranteed, which makes it the most lucrative contract for a defensive player in NFL history.

I guess we will have to see.

casdhf
05-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Tackle numbers? Come on man.

mush69
05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Houston also had a running back they didn't want to lose, if memory serves me correctly they signed the back and let Williams go for the money. Williams IMO will be an asset to this team, both in the locker room and on the field.

wmoz11
05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Tackle numbers? Come on man.

Seriously. Complete loss of credibility.

EDS
05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Houston also had a running back they didn't want to lose, if memory serves me correctly they signed the back and let Williams go for the money. Williams IMO will be an asset to this team, both in the locker room and on the field.

Didn't Williams specifically say he was not coming to Buffalo to be a leader? That is my one big issue with making him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. For that type of coin, you should get the total package.

Coach Sal
05-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Not possible with the roster they have.

So, tell me, out of all their 13 opponents, which ones clearly have a better roster than the Bills. Games they definitely can't win because they are clearly not as good. Here they are:

Patriots
Dolphins
Jets
Chiefs
Colts
Browns
Jags
Rams
Titans
Cardinals
49ers
Texans
Seahawks

Mr. Pink
05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
So, tell me, out of all their 13 opponents, which ones clearly have a better roster than the Bills. Games they definitely can't win because they are clearly not as good. Here they are:

Patriots
Dolphins
Jets
Chiefs
Colts
Browns
Jags
Rams
Titans
Cardinals
49ers
Texans
Seahawks

Pats, Niners, likely will split the Jets, Texans. There's 5 games I think they definitely lose. Definite wins Fish, Browns, Seahags. There's 5 games I think they definitely win. That leaves 6 games that go either way and in the NFL you never win all of those irregardless of whom you are. Split it down the middle if you like there's 8-8. I personally think 7-9 as I stated in another thread though.

Skooby
05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Counting the games you could win before any rosters are set is insanity. Players can get hurt during training camp & completely ruin a season for a team, so judging what we can win right now is pretty pointless.

I also currently see us as a last place team in our division until I see different, we lead the whole shebang last season for a while there & then crashed / burned. I expect results that are better than last season, how much is TBD.

Mr. Pink
05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Counting the games you could win before any rosters are set is insanity. Players can get hurt during training camp & completely ruin a season for a team, so judging what we can win right now is pretty pointless.

I also currently see us as a last place team in our division until I see different, we lead the whole shebang last season for a while there & then crashed / burned. I expect results that are better than last season, how much is TBD.

How so?

One can label, right now, all of the teams that will make the playoffs this upcoming season and be at least 75% accurate.

PTI
05-31-2012, 08:31 PM

Patriots
Dolphins
Jets
Chiefs
Colts
Browns
Jags
Rams
Titans
Cardinals
49ers
Texans
Seahawks

Bills were basically blown out twice last year by a team that drafted below them, the Phins, I highly doubt the Bills beat them twice. Miami's roster is every bit as good, and they have the better QB. Bills lack of a quality QB is what will minimize their seasons. The 6 game stretch in games 4 through 9, there is not a victory in there, not one. No way the Bills win at Arizona. Might even get blown out. The Titans roster is every bit as good as Buffalo's, and I think they are better than the Bills. They beat the Bills pretty easily last year, and before season guestimation I would say they beat the Bills in a similar game. No way they beat the Patriots, Texans, 49ers, and they have lost 3 games in the last 2 years in massive blowouts against the Jets. I think the Bills max out at 7 wins. If Fitzpatrick gets hurt I think the Bills win more though.

Skooby
05-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Bills were basically blown out twice last year by a team that drafted below them, the Phins, I highly doubt the Bills beat them twice. Miami's roster is every bit as good, and they have the better QB. Bills lack of a quality QB is what will minimize their seasons. The 6 game stretch in games 4 through 9, there is not a victory in there, not one. No way the Bills win at Arizona. Might even get blown out. The Titans roster is every bit as good as Buffalo's, and I think they are better than the Bills. They beat the Bills pretty easily last year, and before season guestimation I would say they beat the Bills in a similar game. No way they beat the Patriots, Texans, 49ers, and they have lost 3 games in the last 2 years in massive blowouts against the Jets. I think the Bills max out at 7 wins. If Fitzpatrick gets hurt I think the Bills win more though.

Objectivity with sensitivity, I like it.

Extremebillsfan247
06-01-2012, 06:16 AM
I think both you and Coach Sal are both at different sides of the spectrum on this. It will be interesting to find out who is the more intuitive on this topic. I think this topic will be worth revisiting at the midway point of the 2012 season just to see how many opinions have changed by then. I think right now it's a toss up. Sal isn't saying these things will happen, but could happen. You could also be right. This time of year, everyone thinks they have it figured out. That all changes once the season actually begins and reality sets in.

I have seen teams worse than this one win 11 games in a season. So, it's not impossible. There are a lot of variables, and circumstances that occur over the course of a season that work both for, and against every franchise. The teams that get through whatever ruts they fall into with the least amount of collateral damage are the ones who end up at the top, and in the post season. Injuries and Coaching are usually what make or break every franchise. That's not just once in awhile, but every year. We will see what happens. I think the Bills chances of having a phenomenal season are good. JMO

stuckincincy
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM

So do I - I'm just a bit leery of the injury history and that price tag. Still, it's nice to see BUF, after years of trying to do it on the (relatively) cheap, go out and acquire decent players.

justasportsfan
06-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm a realist and I say the bills will make playoffs . All the have to do is show up

better days
06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
So do I - I'm just a bit leery of the injury history and that price tag. Still, it's nice to see BUF, after years of trying to do it on the (relatively) cheap, go out and acquire decent players.

In 2010. Mario suffered a hernia early in the season. he played with it until Dec. & was in the top third of the NFL in sacks despite it with 8.5 sacks.

In 2011, he suffered a pec injury in week 5. He had 5 sacks up to that point despite switching positions that year.

Both injuries are unrelated, no longer affect him & will not affect his career or play.

better days
06-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Well, you are right, it is early & injuries can ruin a teams season. For example, if Brady gets injured in camp & can't play, the Bills & Jets would fight it out for first place in the division IMO.

PTI
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Well, you are right, it is early & injuries can ruin a teams season. For example, if Brady gets injured in camp & can't play, the Bills & Jets would fight it out for first place in the division IMO.

Doubtful, Mallet would still lead the Patriots to the division IMO.

better days
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM

That is MUCH MORE doubtful than the Bills or Jets winning the division.

Meathead
06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

oh oh oh

HAHHAHAHHHAHHAHHHHAHHHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

justasportsfan
06-01-2012, 11:07 AM

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

oh oh oh

HAHHAHAHHHAHHAHHHHAHHHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

you know nothing about football..... wait, is Mallet even the no. 2?

buffalobillsfan95
06-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Why can't we all be optimistic?

Even that we went 6-10, this was the best season to watch in years!
It was the first time that I thought we could win or come back in any game.

The reason people are hating is cuz nobody want to let up and get there feelings hurt again. People like PTI that always bash there own team is wrong.

All this hate should go towards the other 13 teams this year, while we pump up our own guys.

Even though we might be heart breakers, nothing's better then circling the wagons

PTI
06-01-2012, 01:41 PM

So everyone thought Cassel, a 7th round pick who was a backup would lead New England to 11 wins? Ugh. Mallet has looked great in limited preseason last year, and is a 1st round talent.

PTI
06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
you know nothing about football..... wait, is Mallet even the no. 2?

He likely will be after preseason, that is my opinion, but the Patriots can beat the Bills without Brady.

better days
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
So everyone thought Cassel, a 7th round pick who was a backup would lead New England to 11 wins? Ugh. Mallet has looked great in limited preseason last year, and is a 1st round talent.

The odds are much better that Mallet will never start an NFL game than that he would lead the Pats* to the division title.

justasportsfan
06-01-2012, 01:45 PM
He likely will be after preseason, that is my opinion, but the Patriots can beat the Bills without Brady.
and the bills can beat them WITH Brady even without Mario and with Fitz at qb :D

PTI
06-01-2012, 01:49 PM
and the bills can beat them WITH Brady even without Mario and with Fitz at qb :D

Bills have beat the Patriots twice in 11 years. Only 2 times the Patriots threw 4 INTs, but I guess you like taking those odds and hope they throw 4 INTs?

justasportsfan
06-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Bills have beat the Patriots twice in 11 years. Only 2 times the Patriots threw 4 INTs, but I guess you like taking those odds and hope they throw 4 INTs?

Point is, we can beat them with Brady at qb . Therfore we can beat them with their 3rd string qb , Mallet.