• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Buffalo Bills' Battle for the No. 2 Receiver Spot

Tom Brady or Drew Brees ? Sometimes, someone comes to you with a question that makes you step back and really think. For that, I thank Conner Tone Maybin (if that is your real name...

Injuries exposed a lack of depth on the offensive line, but the Bills lacked a deep threat at wide receiver even when fully healthy in 2011.

Kevin Fishbain of Pro Football Weekly examined the battle for the No. 2 spot at receiver in an article on Saturday. We know what wide receiver David Nelson brought to the offense, but the Bills would be much better off if they could get more production from an outside-the-numbers threat.

Fishbain lists Brad Smith, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt, Derek Hagan, T.J. Graham and Marcus Easley as contenders for the spot.

Which of those is the front runner at this point is unclear, though Fishbain alludes that the team has confidence in Jones' ability to produce. While expectations should be fairly low for Graham, he could be helped by the fact that the Bills simply don't have another receiver with his speed.

One thing is clear: They would rather not rely on Stevie Johnson as heavily as they have. More viable options simply means more receivers for the defense to worry about. Johnson has accounted for nearly 25 percent of all receiving production on his own, and over 35 percent of the receiving touchdowns have been Johnson's.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Buffalo Roam'er
    • Apr 2010

Re: Buffalo Bills' Battle for the No. 2 Receiver Spot

David Nelson might, don't think he is fast enough to fill that spot. He might fit Roscoe's spot.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

It's important to note that they're in the spread so much that it doesn't matter much who the "No. 2" guy is. Nelson isn't a "starter" in the traditional sense, but he was their No. 2 receiver last year simply because he had the second-highest production, and he was pretty effective.
      This year, if it's Nelson again or Graham or someone else, someone's gonna have No. 2 numbers, even if it's from the slot. If they're anything like Nelson's last year, I'd be pretty satisfied, assuming they spread it around as much as they did.
      Last edited by Philagape; 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• John Doe
        Florida Man
        • Jul 2002

I would think that the #2 spot is Jones' to lose. Maybe Hagan can give him a challenge.

At this point, Easley and Graham are too unpolished to start.

Roosevelt is a nice guy to root for but I don't see how there is much that has changed from last season where but did not even make the team until the injuries hit, and then he got replaced by Hagan.

Brad Smith will not be able to get enough reps there because of his duties as the wildcat QB.

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Buffalo Roam'er
          David Nelson might, don't think he is fast enough to fill that spot. He might fit Roscoe's spot.
          The Bills seem to regard Nelson strictly as a slot receiver. They're looking for someone to play on the outside that can take the #2 role. The Bills have a higher regard for Donald Jones than I do, so he's definitely going to get consideration. So will Graham and Easley. I don't know if the team sees David Clowney as having the upside to compete for #2 receiver, or if he's just a camp body who happens to run a blazing 40.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

i dont have a ton of confidence in jones but i have more than the average fan appears to. everybody remembers the ugly stone hands fat rebounds he gifted to the dbs but dont remember the significant number of big plays he also made. he was a first time starter and only a second year udfa player so of course hes gonna make bad mistakes at that stage of his career

they need somebody to step up to give them a solid wr2 and jones has the best shot out of a deep but extremely unproven cast of nobodys
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• PTI
              Banned
              • Jan 2011

Is there a need to say #2 WR? They will play 3 most all the time.

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by John Doe
                I would think that the #2 spot is Jones' to lose. Maybe Hagan can give him a challenge.

At this point, Easley and Graham are too unpolished to start.

Roosevelt is a nice guy to root for but I don't see how there is much that has changed from last season where but did not even make the team until the injuries hit, and then he got replaced by Hagan.

Brad Smith will not be able to get enough reps there because of his duties as the wildcat QB.
                Hagan stinks and will not push or be a capable #2. Watched him in Oak. Mark my words.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

As stated before, it's Jones job to lose.

Nelson. Is. A. Slot. Receiver.

I don't get why people just don't understand that. Graham needs some work, Easley is a constant question mark, Hagan is a drifter, Martin is ST, Smith is a gadget, and Roosevelt is Roosevelt. We also have Clowney and Aiken. And Session... but that didn't feel like it needed posted.
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• John Doe
                    Florida Man
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Oaf
                    Hagan stinks and will not push or be a capable #2. Watched him in Oak. Mark my words.
                    You have a point - Hagan has not been a great receiver throughout his career. I probably have not seen as much of him as you have.

However, his average stats were actually better than Jones' for last season:

Jones: 8 games 23 receptions 2.87 receptions per game - 231 yards 10 yards per catch

Hagan: 4 games 13 receptions 3.25 receptions per game - 138 yards 10.6 yards per catch

These are certainly not overwhelming stats by any measure, but what was impressive for Hagan was that he did not have the benefit of a training camp with our QB. Hagan is entering his prime physical years - maybe there is something in the tank there.

Or... he may not even make the team. Such is the state of our group of receivers.
                    Last edited by John Doe; 06-03-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ServoBillieves
                      Nelson. Is. A. Slot. Receiver.
                      So. What.

Why. Do. We. Care. Who. The. No. 2. Guy. Is. When. There. Are. Very. Often. Three. Or. Four. Receivers. On. The. Field.
                      Nelson. Was. A. Slot. Receiver. Last. Year. Too. And. Was. The. No. 2. Receiver. In. Production. That's. What. Matters.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

(The Bills) used sets with at least three wide receivers 81 percent of the time, the highest rate in the NFL
                        Emile Smith Rowe and Takehiro Tomiyasu could both potentially move to Napoli as part of Arsenal's bid to land Victor Osimhen. Transfer Talk has the latest.

So let's argue about less than half of the other 19 percent

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• John Doe
                          Florida Man
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                          http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/ca.../name/afc-east

So let's argue about less than half of the other 19 percent
                          The premise of the article that OP quoted is as follows:

Kevin Fishbain of Pro Football Weekly examined the battle for the No. 2 spot at receiver in an article on Saturday. We know what wide receiver David Nelson brought to the offense, but the Bills would be much better off if they could get more production from an outside-the-numbers threat.
                          The question is: who is going to claim the outside WR assuming that Nelson is going to be in the slot

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by John Doe
                            The premise of the article that OP quoted is as follows:

The question is: who is going to claim the outside WR assuming that Nelson is going to be in the slot
                            That particular post wasn't directed at the OP, except I may take issue with the source's use of "No. 2" in the headline. In this offense, an outside threat doesn't necessarily mean "No. 2."

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                              That particular post wasn't directed at the OP, except I may take issue with the source's use of "No. 2" in the headline. In this offense, an outside threat doesn't necessarily mean "No. 2."
                              Given the structure of today's offenses, writers (and fans) should probably catch up with the times and start referring to them as X, Y and Z.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X