PDA

View Full Version : McKelvin's not doubting his talent

YardRat
06-12-2012, 06:09 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article899026.ece

Buffalo Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin made four pass breakups during Monday's organized team activity practice.

The Bills can only hope it was a sign of production to come.

McKelvin is entering the fifth and final year of the contract he signed in 2008, when the Bills made him the 11th overall pick in the NFL Draft.

"The expectations were of me being able to come in and start right away and being able to contribute, but things haven't gone that way," McKelvin said after practice. "I'm still young. The health issue's not there. I'm not injured or battered down. I've still got a long career ahead of me."

"You've got a lot of other great guys who start off slow but they end up great," McKelvin said. "That's what I'm looking forward to."

gr8slayer
06-12-2012, 07:14 AM
There's absolutely no doubt that the guy is extremely talented. He's just struggled to make the transition from Sun Belt to NFL. I think that he'll have his best year to date because he'll be asked to do what made him a first round talent, play man coverage on a regular basis. The guy has never been a zone guy, and too often, he's been asked to play it.

Skooby
06-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Big Mac attack, lol.

ddaryl
06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
With our pass rush a gambler like McKelvin might just shine this season, and then promptly demand more money then he's worth next offseason

don137
06-12-2012, 08:29 AM
I will not say McKelvin will shine with the revamped d-line but he will be much better. He is very athletic and gives up the deep ball often. With the new d-line the QB will be forced to unload it much faster so their will not be as many deep balls given up which is McKelvin's Achilles heel.

OpIv37
06-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Talk is cheap.

Let's see some results from this guy, because he's nothing more than another classic 21st century Bills draft bust until he proves otherwise on the field.

justasportsfan
06-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Nice to know that he's confident in his talent just like Rob Johnson was with his. Problem is, everyone around them aren't confident in their talent. They have to prove they have talent first and foremost.

Bill Cody
06-12-2012, 09:17 AM
When I think of McKelvin I think of a word that rhymes with "isapointment"

mayotm
06-12-2012, 09:24 AM
With our pass rush a gambler like McKelvin might just shine this season, and then promptly demand more money then he's worth next offseasonI don't think of McKelvin as a huge risk taker. In fact, he seems to have good coverage a majority of the time. His main issue is his lack of ball skills. Despite being in position to make a play on the ball, he fails to do so and the opposing receiver makes the play.

SabreEleven
06-12-2012, 09:34 AM
He is the only one not doubting his talent.

DraftBoy
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
The scheme shift from man cover to zone cover will help him more than any other CB we have. If you watch McKelvin in coverage he is at his best when he can keep his face to the line and play infront of him. When in man coverage and he had to turn his back and relocate the football he failed to do so. His positioning was often very good but he could never find the football.

Zone coverage should give him comfort and confidence.

YardRat
06-12-2012, 05:17 PM
There's absolutely no doubt that the guy is extremely talented. He's just struggled to make the transition from Sun Belt to NFL. I think that he'll have his best year to date because he'll be asked to do what made him a first round talent, play man coverage on a regular basis. The guy has never been a zone guy, and too often, he's been asked to play it.

The scheme shift from man cover to zone cover will help him more than any other CB we have. If you watch McKelvin in coverage he is at his best when he can keep his face to the line and play infront of him. When in man coverage and he had to turn his back and relocate the football he failed to do so. His positioning was often very good but he could never find the football.

Zone coverage should give him comfort and confidence.

You two might want to confab and get on the same page.

kishoph
06-12-2012, 06:09 PM
He is the only one not doubting his talent.

Both Nix and Gailey have always boasted of McKelvin's talent and he has shown flashes. I agree with what was said earlier that he has good coverage skills, but his ball skills have to improve, too many times he's in position, yet fails to make a play on the ball.

jamze132
06-13-2012, 06:24 AM
With our pass rush a gambler like McKelvin might just shine this season, and then promptly demand more money then he's worth next offseason

Yup, and depending on what he does this year, I would be inclined to attempt to lock him up if he becomes the shutdown corner we expected when he was drafted. I think Aaron Williams is always going to have to deal with his knee issue and we don't know if Gilmore is going to come into the NFL has McKelvin 2.0 or better at this point.

DraftBoy
06-13-2012, 07:23 AM
You two might want to confab and get on the same page.

Not entirely, we are saying similar things in that McKelvin played an off man coverage at Troy. He was at his best when allowed to play in that off system, not asked to press or bump. Also in college he played in a a half turned position. Basically back to open field, facing WR this is a cheat a lot of college CB's use when they know the WR they are playing can't beat them athletically so they can cheat into their turn and not have to deal with it. He can't do that in the NFL.

McKelvin coming out was thought of as a man cover corner because he did that in college but there are many different kinds of man coverage and I think he did better earlier in his career in zone than he ever did in man. So we are saying different things but we are agreeing about a specific aspect to the style of coverage he needs to play which is off.

k-oneputt
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Actually McKelvins problem is/was playing against subpar competition in the weak college conference that he played in and then jumping to the NFL and getting overmatched by wr's that can play.
Let me know when he closes the gap.
Another example why you don't reach for these type players.
His athletic ability to this point allows him to be a good kick returner {When he holds on to the ball. Yes they hit a little harder outside of the Sunbelt Conf.} and a fifth or sixth db at the NFL level.
Nice job scouting and picking for a top half 1st rounder. {SARCASM}

acehole
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
What he means is thanks for the cash...but my new team is going to get the best of me.

cookie G
06-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Not entirely, we are saying similar things in that McKelvin played an off man coverage at Troy. He was at his best when allowed to play in that off system, not asked to press or bump. Also in college he played in a a half turned position. Basically back to open field, facing WR this is a cheat a lot of college CB's use when they know the WR they are playing can't beat them athletically so they can cheat into their turn and not have to deal with it. He can't do that in the NFL.

McKelvin coming out was thought of as a man cover corner because he did that in college but there are many different kinds of man coverage and I think he did better earlier in his career in zone than he ever did in man. So we are saying different things but we are agreeing about a specific aspect to the style of coverage he needs to play which is off.

I think he plays better off also. That allows him to use reaction skills to get a jump on the ball. Nearly every interception I've seen him make, he's either moving laterally, or moving up and moves in front of the receiver.

But when he has to go deep, neither zone nor man makes a difference for a CB. They are either running behind the WR or parallel with him.

He just needs to be drilled on ball skills on the deep ball. Continuously..until he figures it out. Put a basketball player against him and just keep lobbing the ball until he gets it..whatever works.

stuckincincy
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=cookie G;3653061
He just needs to be drilled on ball skills on the deep ball.[/QUOTE]

He's entering his 5th season. If his head gets drilled anymore, his skull will collapse and whatever small amount of air that remains in his bean will escape.

I'd show him the door, stop wasting the roster spot, and bring in anybody that can exhibit synaptic brain activity.

YardRat
06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
So we are saying different things but we are agreeing about a specific aspect to the style of coverage he needs to play which is off.

Which really has nothing to do with one of you saying he's better at man, so the switch to man will help him....and the other saying he's better in zone, so the switch to zone will help him.

cookie G
06-13-2012, 06:25 PM

cookie G
06-13-2012, 06:26 PM
He's entering his 5th season. If his head gets drilled anymore, his skull will collapse and whatever small amount of air that remains in his bean will escape.

I'd show him the door, stop wasting the roster spot, and bring in anybody that can exhibit synaptic brain activity.

well, there's that also.

DraftBoy
06-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Which really has nothing to do with one of you saying he's better at man, so the switch to man will help him....and the other saying he's better in zone, so the switch to zone will help him.

Man and Zone are not singular concepts though. There are multiple variables and different ways to play them. That's the point, you're looking at it from too basic a level.

Man v. Zone are not always mutually exclusive.

BertSquirtgum
06-14-2012, 07:46 AM
If he ever wasn't doubting his talent, he should have been. I know I have.