PDA

View Full Version : Fitz's accuracy charting higher

Skooby
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM
“There’s been a big difference for me in my confidence level and actually charting the throws and seeing the percentage of throws that are on the money and percentage of throws that are being completed,” said Fitzpatrick. ”There’s been a nice increase over the course of the offseason.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/06/14/fitzs-accuracy-charting-higher/

DraftBoy
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
There is some concern to be had with Fitz's mechanical adjustments this year. Sometimes QB's who are cerebral can over think when you try and change them after so many years. Its good to hear that its mostly lower body stuff because that can often be repped into muscle memory but sometimes it can make a player over think for a bit.

Example; Tiger Woods golf game prior to his two victories this year. His swing looked so mechanical he couldn't hit the ball straight. Smart players tend to overthink changes until they have them down, and some never get them down. Fitz will be one to monitor closesly in camp.

Skooby
06-14-2012, 10:43 AM
There is some concern to be had with Fitz's mechanical adjustments this year. Sometimes QB's who are cerebral can over think when you try and change them after so many years. Its good to hear that its mostly lower body stuff because that can often be repped into muscle memory but sometimes it can make a player over think for a bit.

Example; Tiger Woods golf game prior to his two victories this year. His swing looked so mechanical he couldn't hit the ball straight. Smart players tend to overthink changes until they have them down, and some never get them down. Fitz will be one to monitor closesly in camp.

Golf is more of an individual sport but I see where you're going with this. I'd say that any technical training will take months to absorb & if Fitz's thinks he's better, all the power to him.

BertSquirtgum
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM

You're over thinking the over thinking. Knock it off.

PTI
06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Hard not to complete 6 yard passes.

JCBills
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Tiger changes his swing every few years.

OpIv37
06-14-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm not impressed by off-season completion percentage when he's wearing a red jersey with no pads underneath.

better days
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM

So you are saying a STUPID QB can adjust his game better than a SMART QB. Incredible.

DraftBoy
06-14-2012, 12:38 PM
So you are saying a STUPID QB can adjust his game better than a SMART QB. Incredible.

Again you don't understand the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Tiger changes his swing every few years.

Yes he does, but it also takes him a very long to adjust it.

DraftBoy
06-14-2012, 12:41 PM
You're over thinking the over thinking. Knock it off.

You mean applying real world experience and basically saying that it could happen here? Not would or should, but could. Tinkering with a QB's mechanics is usually reserved to younger QB's entering the league or veterans looking for a 2nd or 3rd chance. Not often do you see a successful QB go under a mechanical change. If it works that's fantastic, but just like any change in football there is always a risk especially when tinkering with the QB position.

Skooby
06-14-2012, 12:51 PM
There's more of a risk not tinkering with it, IMO.

You mean applying real world experience and basically saying that it could happen here? Not would or should, but could. Tinkering with a QB's mechanics is usually reserved to younger QB's entering the league or veterans looking for a 2nd or 3rd chance. Not often do you see a successful QB go under a mechanical change. If it works that's fantastic, but just like any change in football there is always a risk especially when tinkering with the QB position.

Meathead
06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
the comparison to tiger is valid because despite football being a team sport fitz's adjustments are an individual battle against himself, just like golf

no matter the sport, it a very tough thing to take adjustments like that from practice to live play. but considering fitz's intelligence, dedication, and extreme willingness, i expect we will see considerable improvement in at least reducing his trademark wtf passes. even just that improvement alone could easily bring them several more wins they wouldnt have had otherwise

DraftBoy
06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
There's more of a risk not tinkering with it, IMO.

Because it hasn't been working?

BillsOverDolphins
06-14-2012, 01:47 PM

lol...vintage PTI, but it made me laugh nonetheless.

better days
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Again you don't understand the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes he does, but it also takes him a very long to adjust it.

If I did not understand your point, it is because you did not make one. You did say that a cerebral QB can overthink when you try to change them which would imply that a Stupid QB would not do so. Again, incredible. You have no proof of this fantasy of yours. And don't bring Tiger into the conversation, because he is not as cerebral as Fitz and he could be thinking of things other than golf that screwed up his swing.

SquishDaFish
06-14-2012, 02:13 PM

I didnt miss this small timers posts. Damn

DraftBoy
06-14-2012, 02:37 PM
If I did not understand your point, it is because you did not make one. You did say that a cerebral QB can overthink when you try to change them which would imply that a Stupid QB would not do so. Again, incredible. You have no proof of this fantasy of yours. And don't bring Tiger into the conversation, because he is not as cerebral as Fitz and he could be thinking of things other than golf that screwed up his swing.

If I have to explain it to you then you missed the point.

For starters calling somebody cerebral does not mean that non-cerebral QB's are dumb or stupid. It simply refers to the way a player chooses to play the game. Some QB's play a more natural game, its not they are dumb its just the way they play. They get a feel for what the defense is trying to do and work to challenge that. They don't need much time with the pictures or the three plays called in the huddle like a guy like Manning prefers. This really isn't a complicated or even contentious point.

TigerJ
06-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I think the whole point of working on this issue now is to try and move it into the "muscle memory" before the season. David Lee has worked with a lot of QBs, including some who are very intelligent (Chad Pennington). Presumably, he's working at changing Ryan Fitzpatrick's mechanics because in his experience the benefits of making the corrections outweighs the risk, even with respect to the upcoming season. He could be wrong. Coaches do make mistakes, but it's always a case of nothing ventured nothing gained. Fitzpatrick's performance last season, particularly after the Washington game, was unacceptable, so I'm all for doing something to make it better.

ddaryl
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
I had confidence in Fitz playing better next year without Lee being brought in.

better days
06-14-2012, 02:58 PM
If I have to explain it to you then you missed the point.

For starters calling somebody cerebral does not mean that non-cerebral QB's are dumb or stupid. It simply refers to the way a player chooses to play the game. Some QB's play a more natural game, its not they are dumb its just the way they play. They get a feel for what the defense is trying to do and work to challenge that. They don't need much time with the pictures or the three plays called in the huddle like a guy like Manning prefers. This really isn't a complicated or even contentious point.

Cerebral:1) of or relating to the brain, intelect, or cerebrum 2) appealing to or involving the intellect

To call someone cerebral is to call them intelligent. Hence when you say a cerebral QB can overthink when you try to change them is to imply that a less cerebral or less intelligent QB will not do the same.

justasportsfan
06-14-2012, 03:20 PM
the comparison to tiger is valid because despite football being a team sport fitz's adjustments are an individual battle against himself, just like golf

no matter the sport, it a very tough thing to take adjustments like that from practice to live play. but considering fitz's intelligence, dedication, and extreme willingness, i expect we will see considerable improvement in at least reducing his trademark wtf passes. even just that improvement alone could easily bring them several more wins they wouldnt have had otherwise

“The thing I think we can work on is when things are clean and getting a systematic, fundamental base underneath him where he can get to making that muscle memory here in the offseason to where maybe we can carry it to the games because it’s interesting in looking at him,” said Lee.

oh and Lee made a golf reference

“It’s like golf. If you have a fundamentally bad swing, if you don’t get help and somebody helps you fundamentally correct that you can go out and hit a million balls and just keep hitting them badly,” he said. “But if your fundamentals are good you have a chance to get better.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Lees-keys-to-successful-quarterbacking/4934be63-c095-473c-8704-2ed482db63a4

DraftBoy
06-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Cerebral:1) of or relating to the brain, intelect, or cerebrum 2) appealing to or involving the intellect

To call someone cerebral is to call them intelligent. Hence when you say a cerebral QB can overthink when you try to change them is to imply that a less cerebral or less intelligent QB will not do the same.

No actually that's not what I'm saying and your defintion does not support your conclusion. I've already explained the difference, to put in another context think of street smart v. book smart.

- - - Updated - - -

“The thing I think we can work on is when things are clean and getting a systematic, fundamental base underneath him where he can get to making that muscle memory here in the offseason to where maybe we can carry it to the games because it’s interesting in looking at him,” said Lee.

oh and Lee made a golf reference

“It’s like golf. If you have a fundamentally bad swing, if you don’t get help and somebody helps you fundamentally correct that you can go out and hit a million balls and just keep hitting them badly,” he said. “But if your fundamentals are good you have a chance to get better.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Lees-keys-to-successful-quarterbacking/4934be63-c095-473c-8704-2ed482db63a4

Its the exact same mentality that Tebow's trainers took getting him ready for the draft. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

justasportsfan
06-14-2012, 03:54 PM
David Lee is what Tebow needs which is why the Jets tried to lure David Lee. Granted that Tebow is a big christian, Lee who is also a Christian chose to stay away from Sexy Rexy. lol

YardRat
06-14-2012, 04:52 PM
It's OTA's in June. I'll reserve judgement until the real games start.

Skooby
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Because it hasn't been working?

It hasn't been working well enough is more accurate, we had some moments but we need some tweaking.

SABURZFAN
06-14-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm not impressed by off-season completion percentage when he's wearing a red jersey with no pads underneath.

that's because you're not a Fitz Licker.