PDA

View Full Version : OT - BUT Bills Related (sort of)- RANGERS FC Liquidated - Scary Pro Sports First

User Manuel
06-14-2012, 01:56 PM
The Scottish Premeir League giant Rangers FC is out of business as they know it. Due to a gigantic debt crisis, slipshod and deceitful ownership and tax schemes, the mighty football franchise is in utter ruin having their assets sold and reformed into a new club. Interestingly, this could lead to a loss of their star players, a relegation to the dredges of Scottish football and a very real threat that all of Scottish Football could crash with it. Interestingly, many European clubs have been on the brink of liquidation recently, but this is the first time it has actually happened (*that I can find).

The reason I bring the Bills into this is this, how far fetched is it, with all of the financial turmoil around the world, the ever increasing cost of doing business in the major pro sports in the US is it for this to happen in the US. I could easily see an owner stepping in on his white horse to save the Bills (or fuill in your franchise, rich or not) and only to find that the deal is all smoke and mirrors (Think Mark Hamister's deal to buy the Sabres).

Think it can't happen? The Rangers where the Dallas Cowboys and New York Yankees of Scotland, a veritable religon and institution and the club is dead as they know it. A new corporation has been reformed and new owner in place, but they have no guarantees, massive debt and obligations for players they have bought to other clubs. They are also banned from international play, barred from signing players and secverly penalized within their own league currently... 1 year ago it was unthinkable, now it has happened. So, while we are all worried about our own backtyard, and rightfully so, maybe we should turn a watchful eye to this seemingly unsustainable bubble occurring in the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA and hope it doesnt come crashing all down...

OpIv37
06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
It won't happen in the NFL, at least not any time in the foreseeable future.

The NBA's financing is an absolute cluster****, and there are a lot of struggling NHL teams (especially in the South where they shouldn't have hockey teams) and a handful of MLB teams that struggle to compete. It's unlikely, but not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

The Dodgers were in big financial trouble when the owner couldn't make payroll, and MLB owned the Expos/Nationals for a few years before the Lerners bought them. And the NHL still owns the Phoenix Coyotes. It's not likely, but if too many owners in the NHL, MLB or NBA were to default and force the league to take over multiple teams at the same time, something like this could happen.

DraftBoy
06-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Sad to hear about the Rangers.

I dont think any league is in a position right now to have an fear of any team having to liquidate. The Dodgers and Hornets were both recent examples where the MLB and NBA simply stepped in and essentially ran the team and maintained the payroll and employment of each franchise till it could be sold.

ddaryl
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Ralph bought the team for pennies on the $$$ I seriously doubt there is any smoke and mirrors going on.

However any owner who bought their team in the last decade and has a huge debt load... well those teams might fall prey to such an outcome IMO..

the TV money is so huge and we have salary caps to keep teams honest as well