• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Bills making progress in lease and renovation talks

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

"I feel there's agreement on some basic principles, and as a result I feel that we're headed in the right direction," Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said by phone on Friday. "It is my goal as well as the Bills' organization to have the general terms hammered out by the start of training camp."

The first step would be reaching what Poloncarz called a "memorandum of understanding," which would encompass the framework of the agreement by the time the Bills open training camp on July 26.

The next step would be just as comprehensive and involve lawyers preparing an actual lease to be signed before the Bills' current deal expires in July 2013.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Bills making progress in lease and renovation talks

An MOU is past an LOI but just before a contract. It's basically a non-binding agreement that allows for both sides to wiggle based on current circumstances. The problem is that non-binding agreements are generally toilet paper based on extreme changes, death or drastic changes on one side or the other, just to be clear.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Well now people can stop *****ing about getting a new stadium. Not happening.
      Last edited by jamze132; 06-16-2012, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• BLeonard
        BoB Sabermetrician
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
        Well now people can stop *****ing about getting a new stadium. Not happening.
        I don't think many thought they would be getting a new stadium for the 2013 season, but if you think that they're just going to keep renovating RWS forever, I believe you're sadly mistaken.

This lease, which will likely last at least ten years and maybe as many as 20, will almost certainly be the last stadium agreement under Ralph Wilson. Once he's gone and a new owner (or owners) take over, I highly doubt that those new owners won't want to have a stadium that, at that time, likely won't be fit for the NFL in the 21st Century.

Another article from ESPN has some notes that I am VERY happy to see: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/80...novation-talks

Up for discussion is how much of the team's wish list of needs will be included and how to divide the costs between the county, state as well as the Bills.

Poloncarz said that the Bills and the NFL have been asked to contribute an undisclosed share. He noted that other teams, including the Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs, have committed their own money on renovations or building new stadiums. And he added the NFL has system in place to help its franchises pay for capital improvements.
        VERY happy to see that the Bills are going to be footing some of the $200-$220 million bill for the renovation. IMO, the Bills (or the NFL) putting money into this project is another sign that the Bills (as well as the NFL) are committed to keeping the franchise in Buffalo... IMO, it's a lot harder to justify leaving WNY, when the team and league have an investment in the renovation costs.

-Bill
        Last edited by BLeonard; 06-16-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

They should down-size the wish list for this project and not go overboard with the financial commitment from any side. A new stadium will get done, sooner or later.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            They should down-size the wish list for this project and not go overboard with the financial commitment from any side. A new stadium will get done, sooner or later.
            Is it really necessary though? I'd almost rather go the KC/Chicago/Green Bay path and just continually upgrade what's already in place. I personally love the Ralph and don't really think there's much wrong with it, just needs some modernizing; don't need a new stadium for that.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
              Is it really necessary though? I'd almost rather go the KC/Chicago/Green Bay path and just continually upgrade what's already in place. I personally love the Ralph and don't really think there's much wrong with it, just needs some modernizing; don't need a new stadium for that.
              I agree with you, but IMO the new owner is going to want a new stadium and the longer/bigger the next lease/financial commitment is, the more difficult it will be to justify new construction. Taxpayers and legislators aren't going to want to pony up $200mil-plus right now and then be asked to go back to the well in five years.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

The State of NY is one of the most over-taxed states in the Union, they should have plenty of monies to set aside for the only NFL team that plays in NY.

I actually think R-Schumer could be an asset to help the Bills stay in town, he's a hometown kind of guy.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

It just seems like such a colossal waste to pour $200 million into an OLD stadium over 3 years then to just plan for a new stadium.. New owner will want a new stadium, and like most other new stadiums owners usually pour in 25% or so

Ther NFL could pony up a few bucks as welll... So the counties/NYS $200 million, an owners $200 million were 50% there to a new stadium.

the fact is the Ralph will proabably require another $200 million in 6-10 or so year after these upgrades, where a new stadium would not. SO NYS/Erie County could pony up $500 million now and not have ot pony up anymore money for at least 10 years.
                  Last edited by ddaryl; 06-17-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• BLeonard
                    BoB Sabermetrician
                    • Jan 2003

However, there are at least two or three groups who not only have the financial portfolio to buy the Bills, but who want to keep the team in Buffalo for many years to come.

And that's not all.

These would be owners feel the future of the Bills is almost entirely dependant on the eventual construction of a new stadium either in downtown Buffalo or more towards Niagara Falls and Canada. Not only that, these people would be willing to finance most of the cost of a new stadium privately. I'll believe that when I see it, because I'm skeptical too, but people I respect insist this is true.

For now though, an uplift on Ralph Wilson Stadium will buy some time, and a new lease with Erie County would be part of that obviously. But make no mistake about it, "The Ralph" is not the long term home of the Bills, whether they stay around here or move elsewhere. Yes, the stadium has great sight lines, etc., but compared to all the new stadiums either built or planned the stadium is near the bottom of the NFL in many areas.
                    So, according to the groups that are potentially going to be buying the team... Yes, a new stadium will eventually be necessary.

Also, if they are "willing to finance most of the cost of a new stadium privately," as the article states, that's a much better solution than asking for hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money every 15 years or so.

-Bill

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

Fair enough, my comment was more based on my personal opinion. I just really like a lot of the older stadiums in the NFL, and honestly can't stand the Cowboys Stadium's of the world. I attend every home game, and I honestly hate it.
                      Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                      http://www.wgrz.com/sports/pro_hocke.../twobillsdrive

So, according to the groups that are potentially going to be buying the team... Yes, a new stadium will eventually be necessary.

Also, if they are "willing to finance most of the cost of a new stadium privately," as the article states, that's a much better solution than asking for hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money every 15 years or so.

-Bill

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                        Will not tolerate vandalism.
                        • Apr 2006

*sigh*

Playoffs first, THEN the lease, please. I don't want WNY to be stuck with an albatross like it has been since the last time they got a lease and a bunch of renovations, only to pretty much stop making the playoffs entirely a couple years later.

- - - Updated - - -

*sigh*

Playoffs first, THEN the lease, please. I don't want WNY to be stuck with an albatross like it has been since the last time they got a lease and a bunch of renovations, only to pretty much stop making the playoffs entirely a couple years later.

Comment

• BLeonard
                          BoB Sabermetrician
                          • Jan 2003

Fair enough, my comment was more based on my personal opinion. I just really like a lot of the older stadiums in the NFL, and honestly can't stand the Cowboys Stadium's of the world. I attend every home game, and I honestly hate it.
                          I don't necessarily disagree with you but, unfortunately, the NFL is no longer about the everyday football fan. It's about corporations, sponsorships, TV deals and anything else that helps rake in as many dollars as humanly possible.

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X