• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Metzelaars on Chandler and Smith

Win your fantasy football league with The Huddle's award-winning fantasy football cheat sheets, rankings, sleepers and insider tools.

Buffalo Bills tight ends coach Pete Metzelaars said the team will have to find ways of using TE Lee Smith in the passing game because he does not want opponents to think Smith is only used on running plays. "Now he has limitations the other way – the athleticism," Metzelaars said. "So you have to find opportunities to use him in the passing game, where it's not – this guy's in, they're running every time."

Win your fantasy football league with The Huddle's award-winning fantasy football cheat sheets, rankings, sleepers and insider tools.

Buffalo Bills tight ends coach Pete Metzelaars said TE Scott Chandler is not a great blocker but is solid enough to be a starter in the league. Metzelaars said he has been working with Chandler on his blocking skills. "I think he's a solid blocker," Metzelaars said. "He's not a great blocker. He's not a real powerful guy, but he's a big body. He'll put his face in there. He does some things that are different than I've taught and that I like to see, so I'm trying to get him to buy into my stuff a little more. And I'm trying to learn from him what he's had success with in the past. He's willing, he's able and he moves his feet and can play with leverage. If you do that, you can get it done."
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: Metzelaars on Chandler and Smith

Peeeeeeeeete
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

Refreshing honesty.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
        • Jan 2010

I was really hoping Metz could do big things with our TE's, and his honesty here makes me think he can. I don't see him as the type that pats a player on the back unless completely earned. Hope to see big things out of Chandler this year, and if Lee can make some plays, I'd be even more happy. But I think his effect on Chandler would be much more noticeable.

Comment

• John Doe
          Florida Man
          • Jul 2002

The way that Metzelaars is talking about Lee Smith it seems that he is almost a lock to make the team.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
            The way that Metzelaars is talking about Lee Smith it seems that he is almost a lock to make the team.
            Fine by me. There is nothing wrong with a TE who can just bury a DE into the turf.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Having a tight end who is well-rounded gives an offense flexibility and helps keep defenses guessing.

"There's no question," Metzelaars said. "Because the defense looks at it and says, ‘This guy can't block, and he won't block.' They tell their defensive ends, ‘Put your hat in the middle of this guy's chest and run him over.'"

sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Jun 2003

We better be drafting a TE early next year. WR's, TE's, and possibly QB could hurt us this year.
                Last edited by BillsOverDolphins; 06-20-2012, 01:24 AM.
                Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Metzelaars has TE talent to mold

During one of the OTA sessions Scott Chandler was the victim of incidental contact from behind when his teammate Lee Smith went running up the sideline after making a reception during 11-on-11 and found Chandler in his path downfield. Chandler told his teammate he would’ve blocked for him had he cut inside. Smith simply replied by saying, “I don’t cut.”

sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                  X