Offseason Realism vs. Offseason Optimism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Offseason Realism vs. Offseason Optimism

Please refrain from replying to this without reading the whole thing.

First, here's my stance. While it is not necessarily an expectation, it's way more fun (for me) to imagine the best than to have someone constantly showing me the "reality" of being a Bills fan. I already know how hard loving the Bills is and I certainly don't need to be "realistic" about it when I read something for entertainment value. I'm an optimist, and there's some insanity in how many times I have come right back for more after my hopes have been dashed. "Thank you, Ralph! May I please have another?" What's absurd is how emotional I can get over a game and that absurdity is the true reality.

While for me, hope is part of the fun, part of the excitement (even if it ends in failure), I can't help but to imagine how much harder it is to be a fan when every piece of positive news is taken with the most abrasive grains of salt. From my prospective, some fans seem like salty, bitter, damaged goods. I completely get it, though. I can understand how, given this team's history, one would find the need to protect their emotions with a steady dose of skepticism. It's preventative medicine, I guess.

The bottom line here is that we all have our own way of being a fan and dealing with both victory and defeat. If we are to participate in discussion on a public message board and share our thoughts, then they should be respected on that merit. The arguments about "reality" vs. "optimism" that escalate into insults and other negativity are pointless. Besides, who needs that added stress?

GO BILLS!
  • BillsOverDolphins
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jun 2003

Re: Offseason Realism vs. Offseason Optimism

Good post for the most part, but I think you fail to realize that the optimists are the ones that have the pitchfork-mob mentality when it comes to the handful of pessimists on this site--not the other way around. It's been that way for years. Dissenting, negative opinions about the team are not tolerated here--even though said dissenters are batting 1.000.

I agree, however, that there should be optimism this year. The offseason's been fantastic so far, we've upgraded our roster, and we're basically getting full participation from the team and everybody seems to have a positive attitude. That being said, we still have glaring holes at WR, TE, and maybe even QB--positions that are of vital importance in today's pass-happy league. I just think cautious optimism is better than brainless gung-ho "let's go Bills!", only to get a swift kick in the nuts every year.
    Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

some people are half full types and some are half empty.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        • Apr 2004

I did not give the pitchfork-mob any thought at all. I'm not pointing any fingers or saying one way is better than the other. I think maybe you missed the point.
        No biggy.
        Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 06-20-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl View Post
          some people are half full types and some are half empty.
          You got it.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by andyxc71 View Post
            I did not give the pitchfork-mob any thought at all. I'm not pointing any fingers or saying one way is better than the other. I think maybe you missed the point.
            No biggy.
            The bottom line here is that we all have our own way of being a fan and dealing with both victory and defeat. If we are to participate in discussion on a public message board and share our thoughts, then they should be respected on that merit. The arguments about "reality" vs. "optimism" that escalate into insults and other negativity are pointless. Besides, who needs that added stress?

GO BILLS!
            No, I understood it just fine. You want all opinions to be respected, but the truth of the matter is I can pull up any thread where OP has posted or some other "realist," and he's bashed for not suckling on the company teat. I'm not saying you specifically are guilty of this, but you also can't possibly be ignorant to that reality on BZ either.

No biggy.
            Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

I always go into each season with realism. This is the first year in a while where there is some optimism included.

I still think we're likely another strong offseason away from playoffs though but we're heading in the right direction for a change.

We'll be near .500 in my opinion.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins View Post
                No, I understood it just fine. You want all opinions to be respected, but the truth of the matter is I can pull up any thread where OP has posted or some other "realist," and he's bashed for not suckling on the company teat. I'm not saying you specifically are guilty of this, but you also can't possibly be ignorant to that reality on BZ either.

No biggy.
                *sigh*

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                I always go into each season with realism. This is the first year in a while where there is some optimism included.

I still think we're likely another strong offseason away from playoffs though but we're heading in the right direction for a change.

We'll be near .500 in my opinion.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Jun 2003

*sigh*

- - - Updated - - -

Cool throwaway post. Next time try not to be so obvious with your agenda.
                  Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Here's the thing:

Realism and optimism aren't mutually exclusive.

Sometimes, optimism is supported by reality. For example, the addition of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson to a DL that already has solid DT's is a realistic reason for optimism.

Sometimes, optimism is not supported by reality. For example, we are hearing- for at least the 3rd year in a row- how Shawne Merriman is returning to his "Lights Out" form. But the reality is that Merriman hasn't proven he can stay healthy, and until he does, there is no realistic reason to be optimistic about it.

The problem on this board is that for years, a handful of posters have been trying to talk about the team realistically (myself included), and, unfortunately, the team has been so bad over the last 12 years or so that there wasn't a whole lot of "positive" things to talk about. A handful of other people, who didn't want their optimistic delusions shattered by reality, started labeling those realistic people as "pessimists" or "negative nancies." When the realistic people pointed out that they were just trying to be realistic about the team, the label "realist" took on a negative connotation, as if the "realists" could never be optimistic about the team. However, the reality is that the "realists" weren't optimistic because there simply wasn't any reason to be, and most of the "realists" have proven that they can be optimistic when an objective, realistic look at the team warrants it.

The situation got even worse when the "realists" turned out to be right, and the "homers" or "optimists" started accusing them of caring more about being right than about the team winning, which is completely uncalled for.

There is no guarantee that being a fan is going to be fun. There is no guarantee that being a fan won't be hard. Yes, football is entertainment and a distraction from the more important/stressful things in life, but that doesn't mean it's always going to be good. Some people seem to think that because football is entertainment, it always has to be good/fun/easy and there is always reason to be optimistic about it. I will never understand that mentality, or any other mentality that attempts to make something into something that it is not. Reality is what it is and there is no sense in trying to make something better just because we think we're supposed to enjoy it.
                    Last edited by OpIv37; 06-20-2012, 11:30 AM.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

I am pleased that you have read Dickens' Bleak House. Your post would do the Circumlocution Department justice.
                      Last edited by stuckincincy; 06-20-2012, 11:35 AM.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        Here's the thing:

Sometimes, optimism is supported by reality. For example, the addition of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson to a DL that already has solid DT's is a realistic reason for optimism.

Sometimes, optimism is not supported by reality. For example, we are hearing- for at least the 3rd year in a row- how Shawne Merriman is returning to his "Lights Out" form. But the reality is that Merriman hasn't proven he can stay healthy, and until he does, there is no realistic reason to be optimistic about it.

The problem on this board is that for years, a handful of posters have been trying to talk about the team realistically (myself included), and, unfortunately, the team has been so bad over the last 12 years or so that there wasn't a whole lot of "positive" things to talk about. A handful of other people, who didn't want their optimistic delusions shattered by reality, started labeling those realistic people as "pessimists" or "negative nancies." When the realistic people pointed out that they were just trying to be realistic about the team, the label "realist" took on a negative connotation, as if the "realists" could never be optimistic about the team. However, the reality is that the "realists" weren't optimistic because there simply wasn't any reason to be, and most of the "realists" have proven that they can be optimistic when an objective, realistic look at the team warrants it.

The situation got even worse when the "realists" turned out to be right, and the "homers" or "optimists" started accusing them of caring more about being right than about the team winning, which is completely uncalled for.

There is no guarantee that being a fan is going to be fun. There is no guarantee that being a fan won't be hard. Yes, football is entertainment and a distraction from the more important/stressful things in life, but that doesn't mean it's always going to be good. Some people seem to think that because football is entertainment, it always has to be good/fun/easy and there is always reason to be optimistic about it. I will never understand that mentality, or any other mentality that attempts to make something into something that it is not. Reality is what it is and there is no sense in trying to make something better just because we think we're supposed to enjoy it.
                        That's all fine and dandy, but don't interfere with anybody's fantasies on here. This is a place where we embrace mediocrity and coddle each other, as well as the team.

God bless.

Last edited by BillsOverDolphins; 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM.
                        Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          Here's the thing:

Exactly. I'm trying to convey the perspective that we go about this differently. I have more fun when reality is suspended. I'm not delusional.... It's like the make-up and digitally enhanced photography of all these BorB women in people's sigs. You know they aren't that perfect in reality, but no one is going to talk about that reality because it's not as fun.

I mean to point it out equally, that you should not have to be chastised for the way you regard the Bills PR message. You always think objectively, Op. Your post is appreciated.

BoverD on the other hand......different kind of chap.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins View Post
                            Cool throwaway post. Next time try not to be so obvious with your agenda.
                            I'm not sure what any of this post means.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Jun 2003

Exactly. I'm trying to convey the perspective that we go about this differently. I have more fun when reality is suspended. I'm not delusional.... It's like the make-up and digitally enhanced photography of all these BorB women in people's sigs. You know they aren't that perfect in reality, but no one is going to talk about that reality because it's not as fun.

I mean to point it out equally, that you should not have to be chastised for the way you regard the Bills PR message. You always think objectively, Op. Your post is appreciated.

BoverD on the other hand......different kind of chap.
                              Aww...bwess your wittle heart.
                              Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

Working...
                              X