PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Thread: Who have been linked to the Sabres?

clumping platelets
06-20-2012, 04:37 PM
So far, I have seen the following names linked in a trade to the Sabres

C Jordan Staal - Pens ( 1 yr left with $4 million cap hit)
F Bobby Ryan - Ducks ( 3yrs left with $5.1 million cap hit)
D Niklas Hjalmarsson - Hawks ( 2yrs left with $3.5 million cap hit)
F Ryan Clowe - Sharks (1 yr left with $3.625 million cap hit)
F Ryan Malone - Bolts (3 yrs left with $4.5 million cap hit)
C/F Brandon Dubinsky - Rangers (3 yrs left with $4.2 million cap hit)
F Rick Nash - BJ's (6 yrs left with $7.8 million cap hit)
C Paul Stastny - Avs (2 yrs left with $6.6 million cap hit)

I'm only including players for trade. FA is a whole different game

Any one else?

clumping platelets
06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
My untouchables are

Myers
Ehrhoff
Foligno
McNabb

All other players can be had if the deal is right

Skooby
06-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Trade anyone that gets us better, we need a real center.

Night Train
06-21-2012, 04:51 AM
My untouchables are

Myers
Ehrhoff
Foligno
McNabb

I agree with you Clump, but Darcy would protect far more to save face for signing some to bloated deals. It depends what Ted Black is telling him to do.

OpIv37
06-21-2012, 07:24 AM
So far, I have seen the following names linked in a trade to the Sabres

C Jordan Staal - Pens ( 1 yr left with $4 million cap hit)
F Bobby Ryan - Ducks ( 3yrs left with $5.1 million cap hit)
D Niklas Hjalmarsson - Hawks ( 2yrs left with $3.5 million cap hit)
F Ryan Clowe - Sharks (1 yr left with $3.625 million cap hit)
F Ryan Malone - Bolts (3 yrs left with $4.5 million cap hit)
C/F Brandon Dubinsky - Rangers (3 yrs left with $4.2 million cap hit)
F Rick Nash - BJ's (6 yrs left with $7.8 million cap hit)
C Paul Stastny - Avs (2 yrs left with $6.6 million cap hit)

I'm only including players for trade. FA is a whole different game

Any one else?

I don't really know much about Clowe or Hjalmarsson but I'd take any of the others in a heartbeat except for one problem: it would absolutely hose our cap. We've only got about $11 million in space and we have to re-sign or replace 4 fwds (Boyes and Hecht are UFA, Ennis and Kaleta are RFA), plus Brennan is RFA and I'm assuming they want to re-sign him.

I have no problem letting Boyes and Hecht walk, but then we still need to find 2 more fwd's (preferably C's) with whatever cap space is left.

The only way any of these trades could possibly work is if we could move someone with at least a $4 million cap hit in the trade (Roy, Stafford, Leino), but I don't see anyone wanting to take those clowns.

ddaryl
06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
We need BIGGER forwards who can score, make a play and punish down low.

the Sabres current crop of forwards are pretty small

http://i.imm.io/tuwY.png

I don't know much about these players, but size and stats wise my top choices would be to pursue

Rick Nash, Bobby Ryan, and/or Jordan Staal

OpIv37
06-21-2012, 11:39 AM
I never realized Stafford was 6'2" 214. Probably because he plays like a pussy.

SpillerThrills
06-21-2012, 12:42 PM
12 out of the 15 forwards we have right now are 6' and taller. the problem isn't so much size as it is grit..... very few of these guys play to their size and would rather be finesse players who make highlight reel goals.

SabreEleven
06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
I never realized Stafford was 6'2" 214. Probably because he plays like a pussy.

You mean Ales Stafford? People are back on his jock because he has a good month with Ennis. Let's see him play like that for a full season. I don't think he can do it.

ddaryl
06-21-2012, 03:39 PM
12 out of the 15 forwards we have right now are 6' and taller. the problem isn't so much size as it is grit..... very few of these guys play to their size and would rather be finesse players who make highlight reel goals.

Agreed, but they don't produce much and 5 of that 12 are under the 200lb threshold.

We need guys that have consistently put up at least 30 goals and 60 points a season, and can dish it out and become an immovable object in front

PTI
06-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Agreed, but they don't produce much and 5 of that 12 are under the 200lb threshold.

We need guys that have consistently put up at least 30 goals and 60 points a season, and can dish it out and become an immovable object in front

No you don't, you need timely and consistent scoring and better defense. LA Kings had 1 guy over 60 points and leading goal scorer was 25 goals. The year before the Bruins had 2 guys over 60, both had only 62 points, and highest goal scorer was 30.

ddaryl
06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
No you don't, you need timely and consistent scoring and better defense. LA Kings had 1 guy over 60 points and leading goal scorer was 25 goals. The year before the Bruins had 2 guys over 60, both had only 62 points, and highest goal scorer was 30.

Disagree. We need scorers who have done so consistently at a high level. .We lack that.

http://i.imm.io/tBOl.pnghttp://i.imm.io/tBQC.png

http://i.imm.io/tBPF.png

Whats the difference. We have 4 players with 40 points... NJ and LA had 7. We had 3 players over the 50 point threshold, while these 2 championship clubs had 6 and 4

The Sabres have for the last 4- 5 years lost lots of Grit, and have been very inconsistent in the scoring department.

The goal is to score more then your opponent, so I fail to see how adding consistent scorers who can dish out a little punishment is not a solution

G Wolly
06-22-2012, 01:22 PM
My untouchables are

Myers
Ehrhoff
Foligno
McNabb

No one should be untouchable if we get the right deal to improve the team.

PTI
06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Disagree. We need scorers who have done so consistently at a high level. .We lack that.

http://i.imm.io/tBOl.pnghttp://i.imm.io/tBQC.png

http://i.imm.io/tBPF.png

Whats the difference. We have 4 players with 40 points... NJ and LA had 7. We had 3 players over the 50 point threshold, while these 2 championship clubs had 6 and 4

The Sabres have for the last 4- 5 years lost lots of Grit, and have been very inconsistent in the scoring department.

The goal is to score more then your opponent, so I fail to see how adding consistent scorers who can dish out a little punishment is not a solution

Dude, LA Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2011, come on, at least pay attention to what I typed. Sabres had 211 goals, LA Kings had just 188. Sabres were middle of the pack. In 2010, the Stanley Cup champ Bruins had 244 goals, and the Sabres had 240. The Sabres defense has not been good the past two seasons. You play better defense and get just about the same scoring and they would be fine. Sabres scored just 5 goals less than New Jersey this year, so you really are not doing a good job defending your point.

ddaryl
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Dude, LA Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2011,

I thought the Chowder-heads won the 2011 Stanley Cup.

who should pay attention ?

I still disagree with you. You want a powerhouse team then bring in some consistent scorers with some size. We already have a solid D core that was hammered with injuries, what we lack is good consistent scoring and toughness up front

LA had less goals but more consistency up front from there top scorers. They definitely played better defensively. Philly was a high scoring team this year.

Last year Boston won and played Vancouver both were top scoring teams

clumping platelets
06-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Miller, unk player, #12 for Ryan, Hiller, #6

:idunno:

Depends on who's available at #6?

X-Era
06-27-2012, 05:35 PM
No clue why this thread doesnt have more action.

This is what I've seen recently and I've been hunting...

Sabres rumored to be linked to:

1. Trading for Parise's rights
2. Trading for Semin's rights
3. Trading for Doan
4. Trading for Ott
5. Trading Roy to the Stars
6. Trading for Bobby Ryan

Also, the rumor is that the cap is set at 70.2 and we have 11.645 before signing Ennis and Kaleta.

https://twitter.com/BNHarrington/status/218055412581269504

If that's our cap room and we can manage to move Roy (4 mill back), I think we have enough for a serious run at Parise who will get between 7 and 8 mill per.

Overall, with that kind of cap space I think we will sign either one significant player or two solid players... I think we will be aggressive. Especially since the class is pretty thin. My guess is a W or F will be added. I really want Parise but will be good with players like Doan or Ott. I'm leery on Semin because he's so hot or cold.

Skooby
06-28-2012, 09:42 PM
The CBA won't allow you to spend enough for a serious run at Parise. Seriously, he's going to get STRONG interest from NJD, PIT, DET, and LAK, why the **** would he sign with the Buffalo Sabres?

Ruff's overbearing defensive prowess??

X-Era
06-29-2012, 05:32 AM
The CBA won't allow you to spend enough for a serious run at Parise. Seriously, he's going to get STRONG interest from NJD, PIT, DET, and LAK, why the **** would he sign with the Buffalo Sabres?We have 10-11 mill in cap room already and could then get an additional 4 mill back by trading Roy. Thats 14-15 mill in cap room. Parise will probably get 7 or 8 mill per.

OpIv37
06-29-2012, 06:16 AM
We have 10-11 mill in cap room already and could then get an additional 4 mill back by trading Roy. Thats 14-15 mill in cap room. Parise will probably get 7 or 8 mill per.

We also have 3-4 guys to re-sign or replace, and as of today Roy hasn't been traded. Pegula went all in last year and it didn't work so we're stuck for the foreseeable future.

SkateZilla
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Cry Baby Concussion Boy is Keeping his 8.7 Mill/Year Salary, No one should be paid more if you go by "Golden Boy" rules...

SkateZilla
06-29-2012, 09:44 AM
I'd Bring back Biron for ****s and Giggles.

X-Era
06-29-2012, 10:18 AM
We also have 3-4 guys to re-sign or replace, and as of today Roy hasn't been traded. Pegula went all in last year and it didn't work so we're stuck for the foreseeable future.And we also have prospects that may be able to step in plus we could get a few vet min's.

SkateZilla
06-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Roy will be traded soon...

OpIv37
06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Roy will be traded soon...

I don't believe it. Darcy doesn't like to part with his guys.

SabreEleven
06-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Again, he's gonna get that much from NJD, PIT, DET, or LAK, why the **** would he pass those teams up for Buffalo? Seriously, all things being equal who in their right mind is picking Buffalo?

We get it, we suck, quite trying to rub it in and go spend all your time at a Penguins board. They ARE the best team in history, we get it.

SkateZilla
06-30-2012, 11:44 AM
how does toronto buy out and **** on Armstrong... But keep Connolly?...

Biron Signed Extension with Rangers

clumping platelets
06-30-2012, 01:37 PM
I was hoping that the Sabres would bring Biron back and use Enroth as trade bait.

I would avoid Parise and turn the attention onto Suter and/or Doan. Ya gotta at least kick the tires on them.

Dozerdog
07-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Until Parise and / or Suter signs, not a lot going to happen.No GM wants to commit a lot of resources to a guy if they think they have a shot at the top two.

Once they go-open the flood gates on signings and trades.

SkateZilla
07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Parise said he's looking at uncertain coaching and ownership as a reason he might leave... 2 problems buffalo doesnt have. (not saying its a good thing though.)