PDA

View Full Version : My Day Two Mini-Camp observations

Coach Sal
06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Two down, one to go......

Lots of stuff on DBs/WRs and more: http://wgr550.com/pages/13505734.php?contentType=4&contentId=10885601

YardRat
06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Through two days, Vince Young has been the better QB, both in throwing the ball and decision-making. Especially while under pressure. And there’s been a lot of pressure they’ve faced. Today, for example, on a play when Thigpen was being pressured, he not only hurried a throw to the middle of the field, but also into double-coverage there.

Is that comment relative to the contest for the #2 position, or all of the QB's as a group?

BillsOverDolphins
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Coach Sal
06-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Through two days, Vince Young has been the better QB, both in throwing the ball and decision-making. Especially while under pressure. And there’s been a lot of pressure they’ve faced. Today, for example, on a play when Thigpen was being pressured, he not only hurried a throw to the middle of the field, but also into double-coverage there.

Is that comment relative to the contest for the #2 position, or all of the QB's as a group?

Sorry, yes, between the two.

Fitz has been the best overall.

BillsOverDolphins
06-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Sal, out of curiosity what have you seen from Ron Brooks? I haven't seen his name mentioned in quite some time, and was wondering if he's shown anything--good or bad.

Coach Sal
06-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Sal, out of curiosity what have you seen from Ron Brooks? I haven't seen his name mentioned in quite some time, and was wondering if he's shown anything--good or bad.

I mentioned him in this write-up:

Rookie corner back Ron Brooks was beaten a couple times down the field.

He struggled today. As I wrote, he wasn't alone in that regard as far as DBs. But he has a long way to go. Luckily, it's very early and he'll just get more reps and I'm sure he'll get better.

Fixxxer
06-20-2012, 10:30 PM
How about Justin Rogers? He had a promising rookie season for a late round pick.

Coach Sal
06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
How about Justin Rogers? He had a promising rookie season for a late round pick.

Haven't specifically noticed him, so I can't say anything positive or negative. But I will tomorrow and report back because I'm curious, as well.

buffalobillsfan95
06-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Over on buffalo bills.com I saw a few highlights videos and noticed that David Nelson and Scott chandler having many highlights. What's your opinion on how they have been developing this offseason?
Ps. Good write!

Coach Sal
06-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Over on buffalo bills.com I saw a few highlights videos and noticed that David Nelson and Scott chandler having many highlights. What's your opinion on how they have been developing this offseason?
Ps. Good write!

Nelson has been solid. He's not flashy, but just goes about his business and makes the play when called upon.

Chandler has made some fantastic catches, reaching over smaller DBs to snatch a ball that should be either picked or incomplete. He's clearly the best pass-catching TE out there.

DraftBoy
06-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Not a huge surprise with Hagan. He has so much talent and its been a number of years so most people probably don't recall how dominant he was at Arizona State. Him sticking and even becoming our #2 would not surprise me in the least bit. Good size WR, with strong hands.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Not a huge surprise with Hagan. He has so much talent and its been a number of years so most people probably don't recall how dominant he was at Arizona State. Him sticking and even becoming our #2 would not surprise me in the least bit. Good size WR, with strong hands.

How come he hasn't made a splash yet in the NFL despite those skills, in your opinion? I was high on him too but have been disappointed to say the least.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 07:35 AM
I mentioned him in this write-up:

He struggled today. As I wrote, he wasn't alone in that regard as far as DBs. But he has a long way to go. Luckily, it's very early and he'll just get more reps and I'm sure he'll get better.

Thanks. Outside of the D-line I think I'm most excited to see how all the young talent in the secondary develops--especially AW--I think he can be a stud. I still think Brooks was a steal and I hope we utilize him in some blitz packages as well.

better days
06-21-2012, 07:38 AM

I agree about Hagan. I posted before that I think he will see his fair share of playing time & I also could see him winning the #2 spot if Jones falters or gets injured.

mjt328
06-21-2012, 07:56 AM
What is interesting to me from OTAs and Minicamp...

Depending on which source you are reading, Derek Hagan, TJ Graham and Marcus Easley have all been impressive at wide receiver.

We might be in better shape at this position than anyone thinks.

OpIv37
06-21-2012, 08:10 AM
It's encouraging to hear that Gilmore is a physical DB. The cushion and the free release that this team has been giving DB's has been killing us since the Jauron years. It would be nice if that finally ends.

And it's not surprising that Young is beating out Thigpen. I'm no fan of Young but Thigpen is terrible and is really only here because he knows Gailey's offense.

DraftBoy
06-21-2012, 11:02 AM
How come he hasn't made a splash yet in the NFL despite those skills, in your opinion? I was high on him too but have been disappointed to say the least.

Could be a lot of different things. Maybe he didnt try hard enough coming into the league being a high profile player, maybe the game speed was too quick for him at first, I dont want to speculate incorrectly. He hasn't done anything yet, simply looking good in shorts and jerseys doesn't mean a whole lot yet.

ddaryl
06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Sometimes a guy like Hagan just has to find the right situation..

I imagine there are players that never made it in the NFL for the simple reason that they just did not fall into the right place, with the right available opportunity and the right coaches and teammates.... As I do believe that some players excelled simply because they just happen to fall in the perfect place.

OpIv37
06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Sometimes a guy like Hagan just has to find the right situation..

I imagine there are players that never made it in the NFL for the simple reason that they just did not fall into the right place, with the right available opportunity and the right coaches and teammates.... As I do believe that some players excelled simply because they just happen to fall in the perfect place.

ie EVERYONE WHO HAS PLAYED FOR THE PATRIOTS IN THE LAST 12 YEARS.

JCBills
06-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Again, this may shock you, but players do develop over time.

Crazy, I know.

PTI
06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry, yes, between the two.

Fitz has been the best overall.

Big trouble if he is the best you got. Fitz is like having Ace high in poker and that's it and bluffing at a hand.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 11:32 AM

Crazy, I know.

He's 27, you tool...Do you think EVERY player is a budding star?

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM

Crazy, I know.

btw, by your rationale of DJ and DH, Clowney and Roosevelt just need time to develop into the next TO and Randy Moss, amirite?:up:

Coach Sal
06-21-2012, 06:11 PM

Watched Rogers today when I could. He played in dime situations, not much more.

He didn't do anything special to stand out good or bad. The media isn't really around for any of the kickoff return drills and work, so I couldn't look for him there to see anything.

So, the only thing I DID notice was that he didn't get much time, other than as the 6th DB. McKelvin always played the 3rd CB in nickel with Williams and Gilmore on the outside as starters.

Fixxxer
06-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks Sal, much appreciated.

Skooby
06-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Sal is the best, proud to have him out there.

JCBills
06-21-2012, 08:11 PM
btw, by your rationale of DJ and DH, Clowney and Roosevelt just need time to develop into the next TO and Randy Moss, amirite?:up:

There appears to be a simple lack of comprehension.

Refer to words you put in my mouth more, k thanks.