PDA

View Full Version : Jones tries to tighten grip on No. 2 wideout job

justasportsfan
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
“A lot of people don’t know this and he’ll probably get mad at me for telling you this, but last year when he got hurt, he was in tears. … It was because he had worked so hard and put so much effort into it,” Nelson said. “He had been named that No. 2 guy. He was an outside receiver, everything that he had wanted was finally coming to fruition and he got hurt.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article913504.ece

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Doesn't say much for our WR's if he wins the #2.

JCBills
06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Doesn't say much for our WR's if he wins the #2.

A lot of people said the same about Stevie.

I'm not using the exception to prove the rule, but I don't get why people are so negative before anything has even happened.

justasportsfan
06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
BTW, there's a video by Graham, Gaughan and Shurski re: yesterdays practice. They're not impressed with our back up qb's.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm not using the exception to prove the rule, but I don't get why people are so negative before anything has even happened.

We lack playmakers at WR/TE. Donald Jones isn't a playmaker.

JCBills
06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
We lack playmakers at WR/TE. Donald Jones isn't a playmaker.

I'm not saying what he is or isn't, but again:

Also, players do in fact develop over time. Especially young ones.

I know this is a crazy concept to many around here, a player being better than he was before, but it does happen.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 11:40 AM

I know this is a crazy concept to many around here, a player being better than he was before, but it does happen.

Yet you've made the SJ comparison twice (in back-to-back posts).

Next.

JCBills
06-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Yet you've made the SJ comparison twice (in back-to-back posts).

Next.

You made a statement that would suggest you know of events before they happen with no consideration for development, as displayed in another thread. Good job.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
You made a statement that would suggest you know of events before they happen with no consideration for development, as displayed in another thread. Good job.

Odds favor me being right over you (as usual).

JCBills
06-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Odds favor me being right over you (as usual).

I claimed nothing, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Just pointing out ignorance.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 01:28 PM
I claimed nothing

Good job backpedaling. "He could be really good, maybe he just hasn't developed yet!...see what happened with Stevie!"

By that rationale, Arthur Moats might be waiting to blossom into the next Lawrence Taylor. Fitzpatrick could become the next Kurt Warner. Clowney could be the next Steve Smith. They just need to time to blossom!

Stevie is the exception, not the rule...and more likely than not, Donald Jones is a scrub.

DrGraves
06-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Our WR situation beyond Stevie is the only thing that makes me cringe about our roster (assuming we stay moderately healthy across the board elsewhere). I just hope Freddy and CJ can have great years and then the WR won't be as big of a problem.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 01:32 PM
^
Don't cringe, brah...just give them time to develop. I'm sure we have the next Randy Moss and T.O. on our roster already--we just need to give them time.

JCBills
06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Good job backpedaling. "He could be really good, maybe he just hasn't developed yet!...see what happened with Stevie!"

By that rationale, Arthur Moats might be waiting to blossom into the next Lawrence Taylor. Fitzpatrick could become the next Kurt Warner. Clowney could be the next Steve Smith. They just need to time to blossom!

Stevie is the exception, not the rule...and more likely than not, Donald Jones is a scrub.

What on earth are you talking about?

Nice try though, twisting generalities into specifics so you can fluff your nads and like Jack.

People never fail to disappoint.

^
Don't cringe, brah...just give them time to develop. I'm sure we have the next Randy Moss and T.O. on our roster already--we just need to give them time.

I remember I was 12 once, too.

BillsOverDolphins
06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
What on earth are you talking about?

Nice try though, twisting generalities into specifics so you can fluff your nads and like Jack.

People never fail to disappoint.

Then what was your point, genius? You spouted the same bs defending both Hagan and Jones.

Let me help you out since you're obviously lost: I stated that Donald Jones winning the #2 job would reflect poorly on the state of our WR's (I mean, who with a brain and 2 eyes really doubts that in the first place?, but anyhoo...), after which you compared an exception (SJ) rather than a rule--but went on to contradict yourself anyways. Here's the quick recap:

Let me paraphrase this..."I'm not using the exception to prove the rule, but I just used the exception and have provided no other evidence."

Fact: Donald Jones might start for one other team (Miami), and that's it. Him starting means that Easley, et al are worse off than we thought.

You making a case for him, or the "hold off on the negativity!" bs (as if 13 years of sucking isn't enough--you want to be patient for more:lol:) means you think that lightning will strike twice--proving the exception and not the rule.

You were better off just agreeing with me, tbh.

JCBills
06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Then what was your point, genius? You spouted the same bs defending both Hagan and Jones.

Let me help you out since you're obviously lost: I stated that Donald Jones winning the #2 job would reflect poorly on the state of our WR's (I mean, who with a brain and 2 eyes really doubts that in the first place?, but anyhoo...), after which you compared an exception (SJ) rather than a rule--but went on to contradict yourself anyways. Here's the quick recap:

Let me paraphrase this..."I'm not using the exception to prove the rule, but I just used the exception and have provided no other evidence."

Fact: Donald Jones might start for one other team (Miami), and that's it. Him starting means that Easley, et al are worse off than we thought.

You making a case for him, or the "hold off on the negativity!" bs (as if 13 years of sucking isn't enough--you want to be patient for more:lol:) means you think that lightning will strike twice--proving the exception and not the rule.

You were better off just agreeing with me, tbh.

I was speaking in generalities. You were looking for an argument. All I really said is I'm not going to condemn or prop up anyone until this team hits the field. I'm not even speaking specific to Jones, and haven't been, while you have tied this to just him and Hagan. I wasn't defending anyone, theres that looking for an argument over the internet again. Like I said, players can develop, especially young ones, and I could go further and say the 3rd year is a big one. If you want to huff and puff over that, fine, but don't put words in my mouth.

Prov401
06-21-2012, 05:07 PM
:popcorn:

BertSquirtgum
06-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Good luck Donald, you'll need it because you ****ing stink.

BertSquirtgum
06-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I was speaking in generalities. You were looking for an argument. All I really said is I'm not going to condemn or prop up anyone until this team hits the field. I'm not even speaking specific to Jones, and haven't been, while you have tied this to just him and Hagan. I wasn't defending anyone, theres that looking for an argument over the internet again. Like I said, players can develop, especially young ones, and I could go further and say the 3rd year is a big one. If you want to huff and puff over that, fine, but don't put words in my mouth.

Donald Jones sucks. Open your eyes.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-22-2012, 11:51 AM

Before anything has even happened? We all saw him last year and outside Ruvell Martin he was the worst receiver on the roster.

ddaryl
06-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Hopefully Jones bounces back and shows us what he meant to show us in 2011..

Reports out of camp have been positive...

BillsOverDolphins
06-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Good luck Donald, you'll need it because you ****ing stink.

Donald Jones sucks. Open your eyes.

Before anything has even happened? We all saw him last year and outside Ruvell Martin he was the worst receiver on the roster.

It's good to see there's other Bills fans on here who know a scrub when they see one.

OpIv37
06-22-2012, 01:20 PM
It's good to see there's other Bills fans on here who know a scrub when they see one.

Honestly, I can't even comment specifically on any of these guys because they're all so indistinct that I can't remember who did what. It's like a few years back when we had the three-headed incompetence monster of Remeirsma, Neufeld and, um, that other guy at TE.

BillsOverDolphins
06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Honestly, I can't even comment specifically on any of these guys because they're all so indistinct that I can't remember who did what. It's like a few years back when we had the three-headed incompetence monster of Remeirsma, Neufeld and, um, that other guy at TE.

Riemersma would've been the next Jason Witten had we only given him more time to develop.

lol @ Neufeld...the fact he played 5 years for the Bills is, well..............................perfect.

justasportsfan
06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Nice to hear some competition brewing. Reports of HAgan and Easley playing well at camp as well.

YardRat
06-22-2012, 07:10 PM
I hope Jones or Easley, or both, just ****ing explode this season.

ParanoidAndroid
06-24-2012, 07:56 AM
I claimed nothing, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Just pointing out ignorance.

This is the type of argument that we get into. Just say he's probably right but we like to root for guys beating the odds. It's not worth the effort to argue.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope Jones or Easley, or both, just ****ing explode this season.

:cheers:

BillsOverDolphins
06-24-2012, 12:54 PM
This is the type of argument that we get into. Just say he's probably right but we like to root for guys beating the odds. It's not worth the effort to argue.

We all hope certain guys "beat the odds," but lets try to be practical, mmkay?. Almost every team has scrubs starting somewhere...we happen to have them at WR (outside of SJ).

These are things we know.

ParanoidAndroid
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
What? I can't see your post unless I click on "view." I mean, it may not even be for me, but I think you're that predictable.

John Doe
06-24-2012, 05:27 PM
I think that 60 - 65 catches would be a good season for the outside receiver opposite Johnson, given that there are bound to be 4 and 5 receiver sets and that the backs are receiving threats as well.

Jones could achieve those numbers if he does not suffer a serious injury.

BillsOverDolphins
06-24-2012, 07:07 PM
What? I can't see your post unless I click on "view." I mean, it may not even be for me, but I think you're that predictable.

Neat comeback, scro. I probably would've said the same thing if I'd been armed with nothing but homeristic opinions too.

Goobylal
06-24-2012, 11:29 PM
We all hope certain guys "beat the odds," but lets try to be practical, mmkay?. Almost every team has scrubs starting somewhere...we happen to have them at WR (outside of SJ).

These are things we know.
Nelson isn't a scrub. With him, SJ, Chandler, Freddie, and CJ, the #2 is largely irrelevant except as a guy who can stretch the defense out. Frankly I'd rather see Easley or Graham be made the #2 WR and have them go deep, draw a safety away from the other guys, and occasionally get a ball thrown his way to keep defenses honest.

BillsOverDolphins
06-25-2012, 02:42 AM
It's largely irrelevant b/c the talent we've been throwing out there is largely irrelevant. Put a talented guy at #2 WR (like, say...Michael Floyd) and the dynamic changes.

JCBills
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Holy ragefest.

Goobylal
06-25-2012, 10:18 AM
It's largely irrelevant b/c the talent we've been throwing out there is largely irrelevant. Put a talented guy at #2 WR (like, say...Michael Floyd) and the dynamic changes.
Let me guess, you really wanted Floyd. The thing is, Floyd could be a huge bust. We won't know how he, Easley, or Graham will be until they actually play. And the same goes for Jones, who, get this, may have improved over last year.

As for who they've put out there, last year they were counting on Easley after trading-away Evans, but a freak heart condition derailed that plan. Now there will be several talented players vying for the #2 spot. If guys like Easley or Graham can learn to beat the jam, their speed will force CB's to play-off the LOS and open up things more for the other receivers and running backs, while forcing a safety to pay attention to them. Jones doesn't have their speed, but showed a knack for beating the jam, getting open, and blocking, but had suspect hands. I won't be enthralled if he wins the #2 spot, but I don't think it will severely hamper the offense.

JCBills
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Let me guess, you really wanted Floyd. The thing is, Floyd could be a huge bust. We won't know how he, Easley, or Graham will be until they actually play. And the same goes for Jones, who, get this, may have improved over last year.

As for who they've put out there, last year they were counting on Easley after trading-away Evans, but a freak heart condition derailed that plan. Now there will be several talented players vying for the #2 spot. If guys like Easley or Graham can learn to beat the jam, their speed will force CB's to play-off the LOS and open up things more for the other receivers and running backs, while forcing a safety to pay attention to them. Jones doesn't have their speed, but showed a knack for beating the jam, getting open, and blocking, but had suspect hands. I won't be enthralled if he wins the #2 spot, but I don't think it will severely hamper the offense.

Careful, and sense of reasonable optimism will be tagged as "YAH AND ARTHUR MOATS IS THE NEXT BRUCE SMITH CUZ HE JUST NEEDS TIME."

They're so original.

acehole
06-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Some are not happy no mater what. I liked watching him out there very natural route runner.

Unless we have sombody with a shiny name like TO or lets get ocho we our doomed!

BertSquirtgum
06-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Too much optimism makes me sick.

Goobylal
06-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Too much optimism makes me sick.
Better get a bucket.

Beebe's Kid
06-25-2012, 02:53 PM
I thought Jones looked good against NE last year. I think that he has an opportunity to flourish. I seem to remember him being kept around as a UDFA, because he was one of the best blocking WRs available when he came out of Youngstown State. I think that he kind of propelled himself, via his performance, to the #2 spot.

I have long been a fan of getting some real NFL receivers in Buffalo, and I am tired of waiting for the guys to be the diamond in the rough... That being said, this argument is stupid. It is one thing to disagree, and another to do so like a snarky little *****. If you don't think Easley, Graham, or Jones can play receiver...that is fine, and I may even tend to agree with that statement. Although, no matter how insulting you get on a message board, you still have no idea how Easley or Graham are going to perform, and you only have a small sample size on Jones.

As much as it seems to be in fashion to call anybody who doesn't scream doom and gloom a bunch of insulting things, and tell them how stupid they are, how the hell could you possibly know what we have in these guys?

As a Bills fan, I am used to hearing my team sucks...I hear it from Steelers fans, who used to be Bills fans, etc. The funny thing is that I would love to have the Bills be good, well...because I want them to be good, but the second reason would be to hear little ****s who hover on message boards calling anybody with an ounce of hope a homer have to shut their ****ing mouths. Although, they'll be right there saying they knew it all along, and that they never really wanted the Bills to lose, etc, but it would be such a wonderful thing to bring up some of these threads during the bye-week of the Playoffs, wouldn't it?

BertSquirtgum
06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
You won't be able to bring this thread up because if the Bills are doing good Donald Jones will have nothing to do with it because he's terrible.

BillsOverDolphins
06-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Donald Jones may have improved? Awesome! Josh Reed supposedly improved too. He's a scrub till proven otherwise in this league--that is indisputable, so move on.

Careful, and sense of reasonable optimism will be tagged as "YAH AND ARTHUR MOATS IS THE NEXT BRUCE SMITH CUZ HE JUST NEEDS TIME."

They're so original.

There you go lying again...there's no reasonable optimism to be had about Donald Jones, unless you're a homer. You weren't able to provide any evidence to the contrary last time, and I think we all know you won't this time either.:roflmao:

Drift, small guy...

Some are not happy no mater what.

lolwut? 12 (going on 13) years of embarrassing football will do that. Did you just become a Bills fan?

I thought Jones looked good against NE last year. I think that he has an opportunity to flourish. I seem to remember him being kept around as a UDFA, because he was one of the best blocking WRs available when he came out of Youngstown State. I think that he kind of propelled himself, via his performance, to the #2 spot.

I have long been a fan of getting some real NFL receivers in Buffalo, and I am tired of waiting for the guys to be the diamond in the rough... That being said, this argument is stupid. It is one thing to disagree, and another to do so like a snarky little *****. If you don't think Easley, Graham, or Jones can play receiver...that is fine, and I may even tend to agree with that statement. Although, no matter how insulting you get on a message board, you still have no idea how Easley or Graham are going to perform, and you only have a small sample size on Jones.

As much as it seems to be in fashion to call anybody who doesn't scream doom and gloom a bunch of insulting things, and tell them how stupid they are, how the hell could you possibly know what we have in these guys?

As a Bills fan, I am used to hearing my team sucks...I hear it from Steelers fans, who used to be Bills fans, etc. The funny thing is that I would love to have the Bills be good, well...because I want them to be good, but the second reason would be to hear little ****s who hover on message boards calling anybody with an ounce of hope a homer have to shut their ****ing mouths. Although, they'll be right there saying they knew it all along, and that they never really wanted the Bills to lose, etc, but it would be such a wonderful thing to bring up some of these threads during the bye-week of the Playoffs, wouldn't it?

I see this logic/comeback used all the time about the darksiders, but it's quite honestly one of the most ******ed collective opinions on this board. "Yes, I love the miserable feeling of having my football team embarrass themselves every year and non-contend before the halfway point of the season!...but hey, as long as I right on BZ life is good!"

No, nothing would make me happier than having to eat crow, b/c that means the Bills are winning games and making the playoffs--but after 12 years of on-field stupidity, I remain justifiably skeptical about every scrub on our roster. Donald Jones sucks until proven otherwise.

Finally, don't take the fact that I'm always right as an insult to your intelligence. Not everybody was born with a practical view of the world. It doesn't make you a bad person. It just makes you simple.

JCBills
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Donald Jones may have improved? Awesome! Josh Reed supposedly improved too. He's a scrub till proven otherwise in this league--that is indisputable, so move on.

There you go lying again...there's no reasonable optimism to be had about Donald Jones, unless you're a homer. You weren't able to provide any evidence to the contrary last time, and I think we all know you won't this time either.:roflmao:

Drift, small guy...

lolwut? 12 (going on 13) years of embarrassing football will do that. Did you just become a Bills fan?

I see this logic/comeback used all the time about the darksiders, but it's quite honestly one of the most ******ed collective opinions on this board. "Yes, I love the miserable feeling of having my football team embarrass themselves every year and non-contend before the halfway point of the season!...but hey, as long as I right on BZ life is good!"

No, nothing would make me happier than having to eat crow, b/c that means the Bills are winning games and making the playoffs--but after 12 years of on-field stupidity, I remain justifiably skeptical about every scrub on our roster. Donald Jones sucks until proven otherwise.

Finally, don't take the fact that I'm always right as an insult to your intelligence. Not everybody was born with a practical view of the world. It doesn't make you a bad person. It just makes you simple.

Lying? Technically impossible considering I made as general of a statement as possible. Again, you putting words in my mouth due to a lack of comprehensive ability doesn't make you right. I also find your angles quite pitiful. Evidence for what? Something that hasn't happened? Are you simple? "Small guy"? You're getting "big" over the internet? Wow, just wow. Try the outside, theres quite a bit going on out there.

Goobylal
06-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Hard to argue with that brilliant logic! Hate to break it to you, but Michael Floyd is a scrub until proven otherwise. So move on from that tired act.

And if you're so unhappy with the team, why watch? At best it makes you a masochist, and at worst an idiot.

mayotm
06-25-2012, 06:14 PM

Drift, small guy...

Finally, don't take the fact that I'm always right as an insult to your intelligence. Not everybody was born with a practical view of the world. It doesn't make you a bad person. It just makes you simple.Is it just Bills football you're "always right" about or everything? Is your real life personality as charming as your BZ personality?

BillsOverDolphins
06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
And if you're so unhappy with the team, why watch? At best it makes you a masochist, and at worst an idiot.

Do you realize how ******ed that line of thinking is? "If you're not content with the last 12 years, then you're an idiot!" Your unconditional love and optimism is touching, really... Are you a parent? If you found out your child was doing heroin, would you be all chipper about it or would you let your opinion be known?

I like the Bills and I want what's best for them. The last 12 years have been utterly embarrassing, as have most of the simpleton fans who are content with *****.

Is it just Bills football you're "always right" about or everything? Is your real life personality as charming as your BZ personality?

Everything, and I'm quite the charmer in real life. I'm also devilishly handsome and make a decent salary.

Jealous much?

Goobylal
06-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Do you realize how ******ed that line of thinking is? "If you're not content with the last 12 years, then you're an idiot!" Your unconditional love and optimism is touching, really... Are you a parent? If you found out your child was doing heroin, would you be all chipper about it or would you let your opinion be known?

I like the Bills and I want what's best for them. The last 12 years have been utterly embarrassing, as have most of the simpleton fans who are content with *****.
Oh, you want what's best for them. How touching, really. The simple(ton) fact of the matter is the Bills have NO bearing on your life. They're not your children, your parents, or even your friends. It's a diversion and nothing more. If they got up and moved, nothing in your life would really change, or more precisely, should change. Your schtick is old and tired. We get it.

BillsOverDolphins
06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
It's a diversion and nothing more.

No ****, Sherlock...yet here you are day and night, as well. Your hurr-durr "go team!" attitude is old, tired, and frankly...really gay.

Goobylal
06-25-2012, 08:55 PM
No ****, Sherlock...yet here you are day and night, as well. Your hurr-durr "go team!" attitude is old, tired, and frankly...really gay.
Oh, I'm hurt. If you actually had anything worthwhile to contribute here except for your "durr, the Bills suck," I actually might care. Go somewhere else. No one will miss you, chump.

BillsOverDolphins
06-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh, I'm hurt. If you actually had anything worthwhile to contribute here except for your "durr, the Bills suck," I actually might care. Go somewhere else. No one will miss you, chump.

I have evidence to back up my opinions of the Bills sucking. 12 years of evidence. You have no evidence to the contrary and contribute nothing but echo the sentiments of every homer on this board (of which there are many).

Tell ya what...starting now I will post like 95% of the posters on this board--for an entire week. Consider it a social experiment.

This should be fun.

BertSquirtgum
06-25-2012, 10:23 PM
look