PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Reports - Sabres 2 1st Rounders

Night Train
06-23-2012, 05:33 AM
From TSN's NHL scout Craig Button.

Mikhail Grigorenko - 6-3, 200 - NHL Central Scouting: 3 NAS, International Scouting
Services: No. 4, The Hockey News: No. 3

Mikhail possesses a unique blend of skill and size. He's an excellent skater
with a long stride who seemingly just moves past defenders with ease. He carries
the puck very well and because he can change gears in stride, it makes him very
difficult to deter. A very good passer who makes plays on the move and is able
to do it in traffic. He has good sense and vision and sees the potential for
offensive opportunities and he creates chances. His shot is good but not
threatening at this time but he shows a willingness to make this more of a
weapon for himself. Because of his size and wing span, he is extremely effective
defensively and he's able to force opponents away from dangerous areas and he is
also able to fend off checkers when he's in offensive situations. He plays the
game both ways and while he's not a physical presence, he is a player who
creates challenges for opponents because of the skill and his size which he
knows how to utilize to gain advantages. He possesses qualities and a potential
that realized could make him a star.

Zemgus Girgensons - 6-2 198 NHL Central Scouting: 18 NAS, International Scouting
Services: No. 24, The Hockey News: No. 16

Zemgus is a hard player. Hard on the puck, hard on the body, hard competitor,
hard working and hard to play against. He is industrious and purposeful but one
can't underestimate his skills. His skating is strong with excellent balance
which makes it very difficult for opponents to deter him, let alone knock him
awry. He has very good puck skills and while there may not be a deft touch to
his passing, there certainly is an effectiveness and accuracy to it. He has a
good shot but has a burning desire to take the puck to the net. He's like the
running back who excels in goal line situations, going through the gauntlet has
more appeal and satisfaction than making it untouched. His sense is very good
and he plays equally well in offensive and defensive situations. He plays with a
determination that will overwhelm those who are not up to the challenge. He's
the player you love to have on your side and hate to play against.

Skooby
06-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Sounds like 2 winners to me, let's get them on the ice this season.

SabreEleven
06-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Girgensons is commited to play college at Vermont but he did make the statement last night that "he doesn't know now" as in he isn't sure he'll go there and just start playing in the pro's next year.

Skooby
06-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Girgensons is commited to play college at Vermont but he did make the statement last night that "he doesn't know now" as in he isn't sure he'll go there and just start playing in the pro's next year.

Hmmm, broke at college or a millionaire. Decisions, decisions.

SpillerThrills
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Well since I'm only like an hour or so away, if he does return to Vermont I guess I'll have to make a few trips to The Gut (Gutterson Fieldhoure) and watch the kid play in person.

SabreEleven
06-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Hmmm, broke at college or a millionaire. Decisions, decisions.

He isn't NHL ready.

jamze132
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Do we lose his rights if he goes to college?

SpillerThrills
06-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Do we lose his rights if he goes to college?

I don't believe so. we didn't lose the rights to Gerbe when he was at BC.

SabreEleven
06-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Nope, plenty of guys in college that have been drafted.

psubills62
06-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, pretty sure PSU got a recent transfer whose rights are (and have been for the last couple years) owned by an NHL team. I think it mostly depends on where the team would like him to go to develop.

DMBcrew36
06-24-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm thinking I would rather see him play a year or two at Vermont.

ParanoidAndroid
06-25-2012, 09:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken, he can sign but still play for Vermont. There's probably more to it than that...I'm not exactly up on all the rules in this particular area. The Sabres would own the rigts to him, but he can still play as an amateur. It's the Russian that will be the bigger question mark. Will he sign or play in the Russian league?

SabreEleven
06-25-2012, 10:25 AM
If I'm not mistaken, he can sign but still play for Vermont. There's probably more to it than that...I'm not exactly up on all the rules in this particular area. The Sabres would own the rigts to him, but he can still play as an amateur. It's the Russian that will be the bigger question mark. Will he sign or play in the Russian league?

You were pretty wrong on this entire post.

If he signs with the Sabres, he is considered a professional and cannot play in the NCAA.

The Russian said numerous times he is NOT going to the KHL and cannot wait to get on the ice with NHL players. He even brought his mother to the States last year.

ParanoidAndroid
06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
You were pretty wrong on this entire post.

If he signs with the Sabres, he is considered a professional and cannot play in the NCAA.

The Russian said numerous times he is NOT going to the KHL and cannot wait to get on the ice with NHL players. He even brought his mother to the States last year.

Thanks. You're right. If they sign an actual contract they do lose eligibility. When they enter the draft they sign a player's rights agreement which means they signed their playing rights over to the team that drafted them. It is up to the team after x number of years in the NCAA if the player is to be signed or not within a short period after they leave college. (I looked it up out of curiosity.)
On Grigorenko.... I'd just read some rumors and reviews that pegged that concern as the reason for his slide. Good to hear they are not true.

SkateZilla
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
and if you dont sign him, after so many years, he goes back to the draft pool