PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young struggling with Buffalo Bills offense

YardRat
06-23-2012, 06:42 PM
http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2012/06/vince-young-struggling-with-buffalo-bills-offense-future-uncertain/

The Buffalo Bills added free agent QB Vince Young this offseason, but according to reports, he is struggling to learn the base concepts of the team’s offensive scheme. Despite telling reporters that he is impressed with Young so far this season, Chan Gailey admits the signal caller is struggling with the concepts of the offense.

Gailey did admit to reporters that this gives the edge currently to Tyler Thigpen to land the back-up position behind Ryan Fitzpatrick. Young was brought in to the Bills with a low risk associated with him. Only $325,000 dollars of his contract was guaranteed.

YardRat
06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
More...

http://www.rantsports.com/blog/2012/06/23/nfl-rumors-has-buffalo-qb-vince-young-already-lost-the-no-2-spot/

Skooby
06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
You mean in all the time he's had to grasp it ??

ServoBillieves
06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah I agree with Mitch on this one... Plenty of time to learn the offense going in to training camp.

Night Train
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Rant Sports ? Really ?

LOL.

Is that the new Pat Moran site ?

BillsOverDolphins
06-23-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't care if he doesn't know one play by september...it's still better than Pigpen

BillsOverDolphins
06-23-2012, 07:50 PM
lol Pat Moran...what an abortion

YardRat
06-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Young will get the benefit of the full training camp to catch up, if he can. I'm not really a VY fan, but I still would be surprised if he doesn't unseat Thigpen.

Cali512
06-23-2012, 09:25 PM
At no point in either of those did it even mention Thigpen, and also never did he use the term struggling, or having issues, he just said hes doing his best in a difficult situation. This is BS and a completely dumb rumor

TigerJ
06-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Chan Gailey is learning just how stupid all these wannabe sports writers on the internet can be. Chan makes a couple of obvious observations about Vince Young during minicamp and everybody goes wild. Thigpen has had the advantage of working with a Chan Gailey offense for a long time now. The concepts and base formations are second nature to him now, as they are to Ryan Fitzpatrick. Chan is installing some new wrinkles this season, including if it works out, adding an H-back. Relatively speaking it is going to be much easier for Thigpen (and Fitzpatrick) to incorporate the new stuff than for Young as a newcomer, who is trying to absorb that along with everything else the team is throwing at him. Chan never said or implied that Young was having more difficulty than he was expected to have in getting all this stuff down. Now all these yahoos see Gailey's simple and obvious comments and have extrapolated that Vince Young is an utter failure. In so doing, all they are really demonstrating is that they are dumber than they allege Vince Young to be. The truth is Chan Gailey has made other comments to the effect that Vince Young has done some things better than Tyler Thigpen that balance out the fact that mentally he's been put in a position of having to play catch up with the mental aspect of Gailey's offensive scheme. Now, everybody knows that Vince Young is not supposed to be the sharpest tool in the shed. When the Bills get into training camp it may at some point become obvious that Vince Young will not be able to learn enough of Gailey's scheme and the things he needs to do to be an acceptable backup to Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I've read all of Gailey's public comments, and nothing he's said about Vince Young suggests that he is already moving toward that conclusion.

more cowbell
06-24-2012, 12:17 AM
I like VY but he has the intelligence of a zucchini...so this is hardly surprising

feldspar
06-24-2012, 05:34 AM
This is just taking what Chan said totally out of context.

Watch the press conference on the official Bills site.

Unbelievable how some people cannot put simple things into context.

dolphan117
06-24-2012, 07:11 AM
I like VY but he has the intelligence of a zucchini...so this is hardly surprising
You have to remember, he scored a 6 on the wonderlic. Thats almost impossibly bad.

thenry20
06-24-2012, 08:27 AM

No surprise here. What he did at Texas was not scripted he just improvised most of the time. Why does this shock people? He struggled at the end of the year in Philly. Even after months of learning there he couldn't cut it. If he doesn't end up no making the 53 man roster, I certainly wouldn't cry.

Night Train
06-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Young will get the benefit of the full training camp to catch up, if he can. I'm not really a VY fan, but I still would be surprised if he doesn't unseat Thigpen.
A part of me wouldn't be surprised if both were cut and we picked up another teams Vet who is cut in camp.

Buddo
06-24-2012, 09:59 AM
This is just taking what Chan said totally out of context.

Watch the press conference on the official Bills site.

Unbelievable how some people cannot put simple things into context.

Very much this.
I don't think there was anywhere where Gailey said Young was struggling. Lots of crap reporting about all of this, with stuff being used out of context to try and create some drama, where there isn't any.

PTI
06-24-2012, 11:34 AM
In other news.......Fitzpatrick struggling for 7 straight seasons.........Vince Young will likely be the backup.

better days
06-24-2012, 11:42 AM
No surprise here. What he did at Texas was not scripted he just improvised most of the time. Why does this shock people? He struggled at the end of the year in Philly. Even after months of learning there he couldn't cut it. If he doesn't end up no making the 53 man roster, I certainly wouldn't cry.

There was no offseason last year. VY signed with the Eagles at the last minute as TC was starting. It is very tough for a QB to learn a playbook on the fly during the season, but he did beat both the Jets & Giants.

gr8slayer
06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Honestly, this surprises nobody that has followed his career. He's a grea talent, but has always been dumber than a box of rocks. Hell, even in college, there's a reason they ran the same ten plays on offense every game.

Cali512
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM
In other news.......Fitzpatrick struggling for 7 straight seasons.........Vince Young will likely be the backup.

I think i hear a ghost....anyone else hear it? am i just going crazy? awe well nevermind, so ya who wants to actually talk football!

better days
06-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Honestly, this surprises nobody that has followed his career. He's a grea talent, but has always been dumber than a box of rocks. Hell, even in college, there's a reason they ran the same ten plays on offense every game.

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with running the same 10 plays every game if the other team can't stop it. VY & the Longhorns did win the National Championship.

BillsOverDolphins
06-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Cool, he won a National Championship...so did Ken Dorsey, Josh Heupel, Gino Torretta, Tee Martin, Matt Leinart, and a host of other scrubs. I like VY as a b/u for sure, but you can't deny that he is one stupid bastard.

Skooby
06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Cool, he won a National Championship...so did Ken Dorsey, Josh Heupel, Gino Torretta, Tee Martin, Matt Leinart, and a host of other scrubs. I like VY as a b/u for sure, but you can't deny that he is one stupid bastard.

I don't know VY that well & after listening to a radio interview with him, he sounds fairly logical. He also maybe much more motivated than previous years, knowing this is his last chance at legitimacy (ironically a similiar situation for Fitz).

better days
06-24-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't know VY that well & after listening to a radio interview with him, he sounds fairly logical. He also maybe much more motivated than previous years, knowing this is his last chance at legitimacy (ironically a similiar situation for Fitz).

I agree with you. People put too much stock in the wonderlic test. I would bet VY is more intelligent than more than a few people on this board & you know he has to be motivated.

OpIv37
06-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with running the same 10 plays every game if the other team can't stop it. VY & the Longhorns did win the National Championship.
There may be nothing wrong with it in college if the other team can't stop it. But there's one problem: in the NFL, the other team has top athletes and top coaches, so any team that runs the same 10 plays over and over again isn't going to win jack ****. So, that "if" goes right out the ****ing window.

BillsOverDolphins
06-25-2012, 02:47 AM
Wonderlic test or not, he's just not a smart individual. If not for football he'd be working the night shift at Burger King.

Skooby
06-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Wonderlic test or not, he's just not a smart individual. If not for football he'd be working the night shift at Burger King.

You make a compelling argument here.

Extremebillsfan247
06-25-2012, 06:55 AM

Thigpen does have an edge on Young. He does know the offense better. He also has a better feel for the tendencies of the teams receivers than Vince Young does. It should be an interesting battle in training camp, Thigpen is definitely going to make Young earn his spot on this team. I can't wait for that. It's going to be a fun start to the year.

DraftBoy
06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
This isn't what Chan actually said.

better days
06-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Thigpen does have an edge on Young. He does know the offense better. He also has a better feel for the tendencies of the teams receivers than Vince Young does. It should be an interesting battle in training camp, Thigpen is definitely going to make Young earn his spot on this team. I can't wait for that. It's going to be a fun start to the year.

Well, except Thipen can't throw worth a damn. A QB that can't throw the ball isn't worth much. My money is on VY to win the back up QB battle in camp.

Coach Sal
06-25-2012, 07:27 AM
The title is completely wrong (not by YardRat, but the site)

The context of what he said is way overblown and also completely wrong (he actually praised VY for what he's been able to do in his limited time picking up an offense most others have been in for 3 years).

Then, some posters and fans jump on it and say how dumb he is and they aren't surprised because they want the easy way out and obviously only read titles (that are completely wrong, by the way).

The wheels on the bus go round and round......

malvado78
06-25-2012, 07:35 AM
The title is completely wrong.

The context of what he said is way overblown and also completely wrong (he actually praised VY for what he's been able to do in his limited time picking up an offense most others have been in for 3 years).

Then, posters and fans jump on it and say how dumb he is and they aren't surprised because they want the easy way out and obviously only read titles (that are completely wrong, by the way).

Thank you this is how first read the quote from a bb.com article.

justasportsfan
06-25-2012, 08:59 AM
this is why anyone who says that Young should start at this point is being stupid ( cough PTI cough).

DraftBoy
06-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Then, some posters and fans jump on it and say how dumb he is and they aren't surprised because they want the easy way out and obviously only read titles (that are completely wrong, by the way).

Dead on. Anybody who actually read the transcripts knows this is the point Chan made, not that VY is dumb or struggling at all. He praised his quick development and ability to adjust quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

this is why anyone who says that Young should start at this point is being stupid ( cough PTI cough).

What is why? Because Young is picking up the playbook at a surprisingly good pace to our HC?

JCBills
06-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Wahhhhhhhhhhh

better days
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
There may be nothing wrong with it in college if the other team can't stop it. But there's one problem: in the NFL, the other team has top athletes and top coaches, so any team that runs the same 10 plays over and over again isn't going to win jack ****. So, that "if" goes right out the ****ing window.

Well, VY was smart enough to run the Titans offense & WIN. He is no longer a Titan not because of his play, but because he locked horns with the HC. It appears he has matured, lets hope that is the case.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-26-2012, 06:48 PM
They'd've been better off developing Tanney or Corp (or even Brown)... but apparently loyalty is more important than winning, which is why Gailey has kept 1-9 Thigpen around. As for Young, he was never meant to be a backup. Some people need to have their own offense (e.g. Tebow) but shine when given that opportunity. So, unless they decide to dump Fitz, or unless Fitz gets hurt, Young is going to struggle.

Skooby
06-26-2012, 09:48 PM
They'd've been better off developing Tanney or Corp (or even Brown)... but apparently loyalty is more important than winning, which is why Gailey has kept 1-9 Thigpen around. As for Young, he was never meant to be a backup. Some people need to have their own offense (e.g. Tebow) but shine when given that opportunity. So, unless they decide to dump Fitz, or unless Fitz gets hurt, Young is going to struggle.

Young probably does need more attention than the rest, simply on experience on our offense if not a little more.

Historian
06-27-2012, 06:26 AM
You have to remember, he scored a 6 on the wonderlic. Thats almost impossibly bad.

My guess is that he couldn't pass an 8th grade Social Studies exam.

WagonCircler
06-27-2012, 12:50 PM

Yes. I'm positive he's a Rhodes Scholar. And a focused, emotionally stable adult.

That's why Andy Reid chose Trent ****** Edwards over him.

better days
06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Yes. I'm positive he's a Rhodes Scholar. And a focused, emotionally stable adult.

VY was no longer under contract with the Eagles. In order to keep Young an Eagle, they would have had to give him a new contract. At the time VY was hoping to land a job with a chance to start which the Eagles could not offer him. After he realized he would not get that offer from any team, VY signed with the Bills.

It remains to be seen if Trent has a job when TC breaks & the season starts. I hope he does because I hate the Eagles. I can see it now, Vick gets injured & the Eagles have to rely on Trent at QB & Bell at LT. LMFAO.

Coach Sal
06-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Strawman, meet argument.

Whether he is stupid, brilliant, can't add 2+2, or is the future CEO of Apple has nothing to do with the fact that the story and title are both mis-leading as to what was actually said.

Bill Cody
06-27-2012, 03:53 PM

We have a Rhodes Scholar as a starter. Just so you know, that hasn't made Fitz into Peyton Manning.

If he has matured from his unstable days in Tenn he could help us. Are you sure he's the same player he was 5 years ago? No improvement at all? I personally will wait and see on that. But please tell me you're not suggesting Pig Pen is better. Here's my take: you could burn the playbook and have Vince play pure sandlot style and after every game let him toss his shoulder pads in the stands and he'd still be better than Pig Pen. The bar is low.

As for Trent being picked over Vince pretty sure that's not what happened but whatever floats your boat.

SABURZFAN
07-02-2012, 05:00 PM

speaking of wonder lick, where's acehole and his mom?

SABURZFAN
07-02-2012, 05:04 PM

You make a compelling argument here.

DING!!!!!

fries are done, Mitch.

Skooby
07-02-2012, 05:43 PM
speaking of wonder lick, where's acehole and his mom?

Pinned under your Mom, she's gained that weight back & the jelly isn't helping this time.

Figster
07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Strawman, meet argument.

Whether he is stupid, brilliant, can't add 2+2, or is the future CEO of Apple has nothing to do with the fact that the story and title are both mis-leading as to what was actually said.

I agree Coach

HC Chan Gailey is describing a situation when he says its difficult and goes on to explain why. Coach Gailey can make a comment generalizing a situation without solely addressing the individual the segment of the article is talking about, would VY be included in this generalization, of course he would because Gailey is talking about a situation as it would be for any QB under these circumstances.

Now what happens and what really bothers me is a writer comes along and takes Gailey's generalization, the word difficult, and points it it directly at VY. He then flips the word over to struggle and it immediately evokes thoughts of a swimmer struggling to stay afloat to the average reader. All this from a generalization.

When Gailey says its been tough on Vince, I'll buy into that part of it being directed at and about his signal caller. It has been tough, and will continue to be, especially considering VY's battling someone with a 2 year head start. (went through all the baby steps.)

starrymessenger
07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Just a guess but I think VY is Buddy's move. Thigpen is Chans boy and is history IMO. Whats more if Fitzpatrick starts the season like he ended last year and VY has shown anything in camp, preseason games and practice, he will be given a shot at starting. Too much money and effort has been invested in this team to tolerate poor performances. Buddy had a great offseason. Now it's time for everybody else to show up, starting with Fitz.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a guess but I think VY is Buddy's move. Thigpen is Chans boy and is history IMO. Whats more if Fitzpatrick starts the season like he ended last year and VY has shown anything in camp, preseason games and practice, he will be given a shot at starting. Too much money and effort has been invested in this team to tolerate poor performances. Buddy had a great offseason. Now it's time for everybody else to show up, starting with Fitz.

starrymessenger
07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Just a guess but I think VY is Buddy's move. Thigpen is Chans boy and is history IMO. Whats more if Fitzpatrick starts the season like he ended last year and VY has shown anything in camp, preseason games and practice, he will be given a shot at starting. Too much money and effort has been invested in this team to tolerate poor performances. Buddy had a great offseason. Now it's time for everybody else to show up, starting with Fitz.- - - Updated - - -Just a guess but I think VY is Buddy's move. Thigpen is Chans boy and is history IMO. Whats more if Fitzpatrick starts the season like he ended last year and VY has shown anything in camp, preseason games and practice, he will be given a shot at starting. Too much money and effort has been invested in this team to tolerate poor performances. Buddy had a great offseason. Now it's time for everybody else to show up, starting with Fitz.New iPad.

Skooby
07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
New iPad.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.