PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills $7.38 Million Under Salary Cap, Per Report

YardRat
06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/6/25/3115881/buffalo-bills-2012-salary-cap-figure-june-2012

The Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/buffalo-bills) had a wildly productive and busy off-season that was also, when you get right down to it, quite expensive. Mario Williams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2768/mario-williams) is, after all, the highest-paid defender in NFL history - and while he was clearly the priciest player the team added, millions more were spent not just on new players, but on re-signing incumbents.

Over the weekend, Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/22/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-june-22/) reported salary cap figures for all 32 teams in the league. As of June 22, the Bills were $7.38 million under the cap, with 17 teams having committed more money to players at this point in time.

Meathead
06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
you know why that is of course

YardRat
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM

If you spot me the first two words, I could probably fill in the blank.

better days
06-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Well, I think that is great news. Let's get Andy resigned for starters.

casdhf
06-26-2012, 05:52 AM
He's so cheap.

Mr. Miyagi
06-26-2012, 06:24 AM
We need Levitre and Byrd signed long term. They'll probably carry it over to next year.

Night Train
06-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Please. No one tell Kelsay.

It's been, what...3 months since his 14th extension ?

Skooby
06-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Please. No one tell Kelsay.

It's been, what...3 months since his 14th extension ?

They're negotiating his 15th as we speak, just to get a jump on the market.

Ed
06-26-2012, 10:22 AM
You cheap bastard Ralph! I knew that no good Buddy Nix was lying through his teeth.

Once we make some cuts of a few veteran players that figure should go up too. I really hope we can extend Levitre and Byrd soon and use all of the remaining cap to absorb some of their contracts.

Does anyone know the specifics about carrying over cap space into next year? I was under the impression that that was only an option for this year.

The last buffalo fan
06-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Can we sign one more FA?
Is this to cover the rookies cap?
Is this money to absorb players extensions?

mikemac2001
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Byrd and Levitre extensions and be done with it....

OpIv37
06-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know the specifics about carrying over cap space into next year? I was under the impression that that was only an option for this year.

This is a good point- if it's "rollover" cap space, then we have to be very careful how we spend it, as it likely won't be available to us next year. I'm sure the cap will go up, but the early reports this off-season had us with a lot of "rollover" cap, and if those estimates were correct, then it's unlikely that next year's cap will go up enough to compensate for it.

If we can't use it as a signing bonus to extend someone, then maybe it's better not to use it.

Wow, I can't believe I just said that.

justasportsfan
06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
If we can't use it as a signing bonus to extend someone, then maybe it's better not to use it.

You're cheap

Skooby
06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I'd like to see the Bills' math on this as well, just to be clear on how they're accounting for the money.

clumping platelets
06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
:popcorn:

methos4ever
06-26-2012, 09:05 PM
This is a good point- if it's "rollover" cap space, then we have to be very careful how we spend it, as it likely won't be available to us next year. I'm sure the cap will go up, but the early reports this off-season had us with a lot of "rollover" cap, and if those estimates were correct, then it's unlikely that next year's cap will go up enough to compensate for it.

Wow, I can't believe I just said that.

As far as I know, the money you could only use the last two years was borrowing money from the cap in the future for 2011 (or 2012). Rolling money into the next year has happened even in the old CBA, by way of Not Likely To Be Earned (NLTBE) incentives and rollover. The money will continue to roll over into 2013 Op, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and you'll notice as well that they'll have 10 million extra to work with next year, thanks to that amount being dead cap space that goes away this year. So they're absolutely fine to sign, re-sign and force to resign any player(s) they want.

Skooby
06-26-2012, 10:51 PM
As far as I know, the money you could only use the last two years was borrowing money from the cap in the future for 2011 (or 2012). Rolling money into the next year has happened even in the old CBA, by way of Not Likely To Be Earned (NLTBE) incentives and rollover. The money will continue to roll over into 2013 Op, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and you'll notice as well that they'll have 10 million extra to work with next year, thanks to that amount being dead cap space that goes away this year. So they're absolutely fine to sign, re-sign and force to resign any player(s) they want.

Who actually believes the math anyways?

clumping platelets
06-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Each team had the ability to borrow from future years only for 2011 & 2012

Teams can carryover any remaining cap space at the end of the year every season

A team that borrowed from future years is not likely to have cap space available to carryover

ublinkwescore
06-30-2012, 07:13 PM
They're negotiating his 15th as we speak, just to get a jump on the market.

it's unreal the demand he creates...

Skooby
07-01-2012, 12:52 AM
it's unreal the demand he creates...

The open-market pines for him so, lol.