PDA

View Full Version : BBD: 2012 NFL Supplemental Draft Reportedly Set

DraftBoy
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/06/2012-nfl-supplemental-draft-reportedly-set/

Adam Caplan who is an NFL reporter for Sirius XM Radio mentioned today that he was hearing the NFL Supplemental Draft was going to be set for July 15th. The NFL Supplemental Draft is an often overlooked event that is intended to allow players who missed the early entry filing deadline for that year’s NFL draft and something has arisen that has caused them to lose their eligibility.

Some good Bills history tidbits in the piece. The Bills were involved in two of the biggest and most controversial moves in NFL Supplemental Draft history. I bet a few of you remember them. Also speculation on a few of the names we may see in the pool when it gets released.

buffalobillsfan95
06-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Any players acctually worth a pic this year

DraftBoy
06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Any players acctually worth a pic this year

Won't know for sure until the official pool gets released but if Jackson goes in he will be worth a pick for sure.

YardRat
06-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I won't play spoiler, but info on one of the 'blockbusters' is slightly inaccurate.

DraftBoy
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
I won't play spoiler, but info on one of the 'blockbusters' is slightly inaccurate.

Not per the wiki, which was surprisingly the only info I could find on the two moves in a quick search.

I looked for a better source of info but not a lot of digital info from back then. Id be happy to correct what's incorrect or slightly off.

YardRat
06-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Not per the wiki, which was surprisingly the only info I could find on the two moves in a quick search.

I looked for a better source of info but not a lot of digital info from back then. Id be happy to correct what's incorrect or slightly off.

I pm'd you.

clumping platelets
06-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Bernie Kosar

Night Train
06-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Jackson, officially listed by Texas Southern at 6-5 and 275 pounds, has earned first team all-conference recognition after each of the past two seasons. This past season he registered 50 tackles, an eye-popping 18.5 tackles for loss and six sacks. His twin brother, Malik Jackson (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631887), was just drafted (fifth round, No. 137 overall) out of Tennessee by the Denver Broncos.

While listed bigger than his brother according to their respective school websites, Marquis is actually closer to 6-3, 265 pounds than the 6-5, 275 Texas Southern described him as on their roster. While slightly smaller than expected, Marquis is a legitimate NFL-caliber athlete who has been estimated to run in the mid 4.6s.

At this point, Jackson is ranked as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 28 overall defensive end (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/DE) and No. 299th overall prospect for the 2013 draft.

DraftBoy
06-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Jackson, officially listed by Texas Southern at 6-5 and 275 pounds, has earned first team all-conference recognition after each of the past two seasons. This past season he registered 50 tackles, an eye-popping 18.5 tackles for loss and six sacks. His twin brother, Malik Jackson (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631887), was just drafted (fifth round, No. 137 overall) out of Tennessee by the Denver Broncos.

While listed bigger than his brother according to their respective school websites, Marquis is actually closer to 6-3, 265 pounds than the 6-5, 275 Texas Southern described him as on their roster. While slightly smaller than expected, Marquis is a legitimate NFL-caliber athlete who has been estimated to run in the mid 4.6s.

At this point, Jackson is ranked as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 28 overall defensive end (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/DE) and No. 299th overall prospect for the 2013 draft.

NFLDS is very good, one of the best in fact, however we disagree on Jackson.

k-oneputt
06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
We have enough overrated, small school, camp fodder, defensive players currently on the roster.
No need to waste a draft pick since we know he won't be here past mid August anyways.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-29-2012, 05:25 AM
There hasn't been a supplemental draft pick worth poo in years.

DraftBoy
06-29-2012, 07:16 AM
There hasn't been a supplemental draft pick worth poo in years.

For the most part this is correct. However I would argue OLB Ahmad Brooks, OT Jared Gaither, and to a lesser extent CB Paul Oliver were all picks that were of some level of relevance. Brooks was 2006 while Gaither and Oliver were 2007.

DraftBoy
07-01-2012, 09:52 AM
TCU RB Ed Wesley is officially in!

Rumors are the two big time Miami players are in as well but those are just rumors at this point.

Caplan says there may be up to 10 guys in this class.

scartown
07-01-2012, 10:45 AM
TCU RB Ed Wesley is officially in!

Rumors are the two big time Miami players are in as well but those are just rumors at this point.

Caplan says there may be up to 10 guys in this class.

I think Ray Ray is the only one out of the two is worth a pick. Henderson hasn't shown anything at Miami

DraftBoy
07-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I think Ray Ray is the only one out of the two is worth a pick. Henderson hasn't shown anything at Miami

I could see both getting picked if the rumors are true.

This class is shaping up to be a loaded one. Very intriguing names being whispered about.

DraftBoy
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Former Baylor/Utah WR Josh Gordon is also in. 6'4, 225 lbs rumored to run in the low 4.3's

PTI
07-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I think the biggest Supplemental pick ever was Steve Walsh, considering Dallas had just taken Troy Aikman in the regular draft #1 overall. Dallas was going to have an elite signal caller one way or another. To me this was a bigger shot at finding a QB than the Redskins just took this season.

DraftBoy
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Official List is Out;
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/07/2012-nfl-supplemental-draft-is-official/

buffalobillsfan95
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
DB, any players worth a pick for the bills now that the list is out

DraftBoy
07-02-2012, 05:02 PM
DB, any players worth a pick for the bills now that the list is out
Yes, Baylor/Utah WR Josh Gordon could absolutely be worth it.

6'3, 220 lbs with sub 4.4 speed reportedly.

We'll have full reports on all eight prospects before the draft on the 12th.

buffalobillsfan95
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
What do you think we would have to give up for him?

stuckincincy
07-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Eight prospects eligible for NFL Supplemental Draft
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
July 2, 2012 3:58 pm ET

..."The eight players eligible for next Thursday's draft:

DB Quaylon Ewing, Boise State
WR Josh Gordon, Baylor/Utah
FB Adam Harris, Syracuse
OT Adrian Haughton, Iowa State
LB Larry Lumpkin, Carson-Newman
DE Montez Robinson, Georgia
WR Houston Tuminello, McMurray
RB Ed Wesley, Texas Christian"...

A couple of the viewers' comments: "They should just call it the prison draft. The only reason why any of these players are eligible to be drafted is because they cannot follow team rules and/or have legal issues....with Harris being the exception.", and "This looks like a Saturday night police lineup. Why would the NFL even have a supplemental draft with the likes of theses gentlemen. Image! Image! Image!" :chuckle:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/19464355/eight-prospects-eligible-for-nfl-supplemental-draft

TigerJ
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
It's very true that Josh Gordon has major character red flags. Teams will be interested because of his obvious physical qualities. The issue of where to give up a pick for him comes down to trying to come up with some way to quantify the risk he presents because of the character issues. From all appearances, Buddy Nix seems to place a pretty high priority on character. For that reason, I'd be surprised if the Bills picked him, unless they've done their homework and discovered he's a changed person.