PDA

View Full Version : Four expected to be candidates for nickel back spot

YardRat
07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=795710-bills-four-expected-to-be-candidates-for-nickel-back-spot

Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl/buffalo-bills) CBs Ron Brooks (http://www.kffl.com/player/26276/nfl/ron-brooks), Terrence McGee (http://www.kffl.com/player/6004/nfl/terrence-mcgee), Leodis McKelvin (http://www.kffl.com/player/18278/nfl/leodis-mckelvin) and Justin Rogers (http://www.kffl.com/player/24765/nfl/justin-rogers) are expected to be candidates for the nickel back job during training camp. McKelvin is expected to also compete for one of the starting cornerback jobs.

YardRat
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/24---Who-will-be-the-nickel-corner/c33f9879-f4ee-49ce-9904-e3b64a96babc

Bills GM Buddy Nix subscribes to drafting a cornerback every year. This past spring he drafted two, just as he did in 2011. What it’s provided Buffalo’s defense is a solid mix of youth and experience in what looks to be a four-man competition for the top job in the slot.

ServoBillieves
07-01-2012, 07:50 PM
McGee seems best fit, but Brooks and Rogers could surprise. McKelvin I really think will start day 1, with Williams waiting for specialty situations.

Skooby
07-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Brooks hits like a Mack-truck, he'll be out there soon enough.

bigbub2352
07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
I think we keep five cb's..danorris searcey can also play cb which gives a six emergency cb so i see the bills keeping five

Williams GIlmore Brooks Rodgers Mcgee...i think Mckelvin gets cut if he doesnt beat out williams or gilmore for the starting nod

Mckelvin is a bust

i think mcgee will be in nickel spot..unless injured..then i think its rodgers

Cali512
07-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I think during games tho if there slot WR is there best WR, Gilmore should cover them. Id rather see him on Welker than anyone else

ServoBillieves
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I think during games tho if there slot WR is there best WR, Gilmore should cover them. Id rather see him on Welker than anyone else

See I thought of this too, and it's precisely why I think McGee is the man for the slot job.

Not necessarily that they can't move a starter over to cover him, but we saw what he did to A. Williams, and Gilmore doesn't know how crafty he is. This isn't McGee's first rodeo, hell not even McKelvin's, so we'll have to see where it goes from there. I have complete faith in Gilmore and his ability, but maybe we can test him in game #2 against the Pats* rather than game 1. We don't really have a crafty/shifty receiver other than the rookie TJ to practice against... I'd trust McGee over anyone else at this point.

tomz
07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
See I thought of this too, and it's precisely why I think McGee is the man for the slot job.

Not necessarily that they can't move a starter over to cover him, but we saw what he did to A. Williams, and Gilmore doesn't know how crafty he is. This isn't McGee's first rodeo, hell not even McKelvin's, so we'll have to see where it goes from there. I have complete faith in Gilmore and his ability, but maybe we can test him in game #2 against the Pats* rather than game 1. We don't really have a crafty/shifty receiver other than the rookie TJ to practice against... I'd trust McGee over anyone else at this point.

Actually, TJ is just about the only receiver we have who DOESN'T fit the crafty/shifty thing. Stevie Johnson is 10% about crafty/shifty. Maybe doesn't run the Welker routes but several others do.

Jan Reimers
07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I like our CBs a lot. I think we keep 6. If anything, McGee might be the odd man out because of injuries.

Ed
07-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I think they'll keep 6 CB's too, but if they only keep 5 I could see Rogers going to the practice and being the first to get called up when there's an injury.

I really don't see McKelvin getting cut. He's our only other veteran besides McGee, he's in his prime, he's still got talent, and he's in his contract year. Nix said himself that he expects McKelvin to have his best year. They've already paid him most of his money so there's really no cap savings by cutting him. Might as well get the best you can from him this season before he moves on somewhere else.

BillsOverDolphins
07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Rogers or Brooks, please. McGee needs to retire and McKelvin should try his hand at b/u FS

Cali512
07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Actually, TJ is just about the only receiver we have who DOESN'T fit the crafty/shifty thing. Stevie Johnson is 10% about crafty/shifty. Maybe doesn't run the Welker routes but several others do.

Who David Nelson? Donald Jones? Derek Hagan? What in gods name are you talkin about. And 10%, Stevie is 95% craftyness. Im puzzled by what you are talking about, we got TJ to replace the crafty shifty Parrish. Nelson cant do it, hes slow and 6-5, Jones has no moves, hes fast but more of a strong WR, Hagan runs good clean routes and is strong, Easley same thing, Roosevelt is slow but has good hands. Have you seen TJ? Hes as shifty and crafty as Parrish/Spiller

Cali512
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Rogers or Brooks, please. McGee needs to retire and McKelvin should try his hand at b/u FS

If you can get some games from McGee, especially if there vs the Patriots, let him play. We should just keep him for when we play teams that have Desean Jacksons, Welkers, Eddie Royal type WRs and not dress him other games, but thatd never happen

Cali512
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
I think they'll keep 6 CB's too, but if they only keep 5 I could see Rogers going to the practice and being the first to get called up when there's an injury.

I really don't see McKelvin getting cut. He's our only other veteran besides McGee, he's in his prime, he's still got talent, and he's in his contract year. Nix said himself that he expects McKelvin to have his best year. They've already paid him most of his money so there's really no cap savings by cutting him. Might as well get the best you can from him this season before he moves on somewhere else.

Rogers was to good last year tho

1- Gilmore
2- Williams
3- McGee slot
4- Rogers
5- McKelvin
6- Brooks

MattyNH
07-04-2012, 07:15 PM
if mcgee isnt at least the nickel, is it worth keeping him around?

YardRat
07-04-2012, 10:12 PM
if mcgee isnt at least the nickel, is it worth keeping him around?

Yes.

IMO they should keep six, the ones Cali listed. Would rather have McGee for depth than Miller, Hill, Green or somebody else's cast-off.

Mr. Pink
07-05-2012, 04:29 AM
McGee should have been shown the door 2 years ago. McKelvin blows.

I think the starters at corner are Gilmore and Williams with Rogers manning the slot.

MattyNH
07-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Yes.

IMO they should keep six, the ones Cali listed. Would rather have McGee for depth than Miller, Hill, Green or somebody else's cast-off.

The reason I asked the question is that with McGee's injury history and cost (I know he redid his contract), if he is not at least the 3rd best CB I wonder if the Bills would be better off with someone younger. You can put up with an injury prone player if they are a difference maker. Your 4th or worse CB is not a difference maker. This would be a sign he has lost skill due to age or whatever. I would rather go with someone with more upside. For the record I think he will be at least the nickel if not a starter provided he stays healthy. If he gets injuried in preseason I think we waive goodbye to him.

YardRat
07-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Yeah, if he gets injured again that early he is probably toast. But if he doesn't, he's a better alternative than the others I mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

McGee should have been shown the door 2 years ago. McKelvin blows.

I think the starters at corner are Gilmore and Williams with Rogers manning the slot.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what McKelvin can do this season with the new defense/roster.

mysticsoto
07-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Rogers was to good last year tho

1- Gilmore
2- Williams
3- McGee slot
4- Rogers
5- McKelvin
6- Brooks

This is the most logical line up. And it makes sense to keep six b'cse of McGee's current state...he has not lasted more than half a season in a few yrs now. Given that, when he's been on the field, he's been our best CB, so you don't cut him. You prepare to replace him when he does get hurt, but while he's able to play, you let him play!