PDA

View Full Version : Bills To Attend Josh Gordon Pro Day

DraftBoy
07-09-2012, 01:52 PM
NFL Supplemental Draft prospect Josh Gordon will work out tomorrow in Houston for NFL scouts in anticipation of Thursday's NFL Supplemental Draft. The Bills are confirmed to be in attendance per James Walker of ESPN.

ddaryl
07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
of course they would.. what else is a scout to do at this time of year.

DraftBoy
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
of course they would.. what else is a scout to do at this time of year.
Lots of work to be done. Plus they do get time off after traveling so much during the season.

YardRat
07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I bet somebody shoots a second on him.

Night Train
07-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Bills already have a guy with his makeup in Easley,in regards to size and speed. Curious.

Ed
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I would be surprised if the Bills actually used a high enough pick to get this guy. Even if we keep 6 WR's, which seems to be a reasonable assumption, I don't see a rookie that didn't even play in 2011 and has now missed all the OTA's and minicamps, coming in to training camp and beating out a guy like Easley or Hagan.

SABURZFAN
07-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Bills already have a guy with his makeup in Easley,in regards to size and speed. Curious.

yeah... but Easley can't make his way onto the football field.

DraftBoy
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM

Very different players on tape. Gordon more physical and willing to mix it up. Easley more speed based.

Gordon much thicker and more muscular build as well.

bigbub2352
07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
what would it take to get him?

Meathead
07-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Josh Gordon reportedly won't fall past third round

Evan Silva of ProFootballTalk and Rotoworld reports that at least one NFC team has assigned a third-round grade on Gordon. Some Baylor folks believed Gordon was a superior player to Tennessee Titans first-round draft pick Kendall Wright when both players were at Baylor.

On Silva's Twitter account, he goes even further. He said there's "no chance" Gordon will get past the third round and added the team is from the NFC East. Which means we are going to conduct some irresponsible guesswork.

It's hard to imagine the New York Giants would be interested in Gordon considering their depth at receiver. (They also just drafted LSU's Reuben Randle.) The Philadelphia Eagles seems like a long shot with all their talent at the position.

That leaves Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys, two teams that could certainly use a developmental wideout. (Our Supplemental Draft correspondent Henry Hogdson had the Redskins taking Gordon in our mock draft.) Dallas has a huge need at its No. 3 position, and Jerry Jones isn't afraid to be aggressive. Washington used a pick in the third round of the 2009 supplemental draft on Jeremy Jarmon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a6b6b7/article/josh-gordon-reportedly-wont-fall-past-third-round?module=HP11_headline_stack

gr8slayer
07-09-2012, 09:06 PM
He'll be a Redskin.

DraftBoy
07-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Washington seems to be the team with the biggest interest given his connection to RGIII and however they just spent big money on Garcon and Morgan, drafted Leonard Hankerson two years ago and still have Santana Moss.

Dallas makes sense he being a local product but with Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and a host of young WR's behind them the spot may not be there either.

In the end most over estimate the value of supplemental picks, teams don't like giving up picks not knowing what 2013 will fully look like. Gordon is being whispered about in Rounds 2 or 3, but I expect him to go in 4 or 5. We have a scouting report ready to go tomorrow after his workout is complete and we can input the numbers. He has a 5th Round grade by our criteria.

TigerJ
07-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Over on the BB message board, it's been posted that the Bills were actually the first team to announce their intended attendance at Gordon's pro day. One poster is claiming some inside info on both Buffalo's interest in Gordon and Gordon's character. Gordon is a good kid, or so it is claimed. If Buffalo reaches that same conclusion, they might actually be players in the supplemental draft.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?419566-Josh-Gordon-A-Dolphinflavored-Opinion

DraftBoy
07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Over on the BB message board, it's been posted that the Bills were actually the first team to announce their intended attendance at Gordon's pro day. One poster is claiming some inside info on both Buffalo's interest in Gordon and Gordon's character. Gordon is a good kid, or so it is claimed. If Buffalo reaches that same conclusion, they might actually be players in the supplemental draft.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?419566-Josh-Gordon-A-Dolphinflavored-Opinion

Buffalo never announced their attendance. A source gave the tip to James Walker at ESPN.

Gordon's character isn't horrible, but there are a lot of unanswered questions.

stuckincincy
07-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Does anybody know if a supplemental pick is "slotted" regarding contract $ under the new CBA? And how that would affect the monies already allocated for a clubs' rookie pool? If a team has already signed all of Aprils' draftees and exhausted the pool, what happens?

DraftBoy
07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Does anybody know if a supplemental pick is "slotted" regarding contract $ under the new CBA? And how that would affect the monies already allocated for a clubs' rookie pool? If a team has already signed all of Aprils' draftees and exhausted the pool, what happens?

Not 100% sure on this with regard to the new CBA. I would assume you could use any remaining monies outside the pool if need be.

stuckincincy
07-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Not 100% sure on this with regard to the new CBA. I would assume you could use any remaining monies outside the pool if need be.

Thanks. I've read bits and pieces of CBA contract language through the years. To say it's Byzantine is understatement...

Ed
07-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Buffalo never announced their attendance. A source gave the tip to James Walker at ESPN.

Gordon's character isn't horrible, but there are a lot of unanswered questions.
So why did he miss the 2011 season? Suspension, injury?

DraftBoy
07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
So why did he miss the 2011 season? Suspension, injury?

Transfer from Baylor to Utah. He was arrested at Baylor for weed posession and was dismissed.

NCAA rules state if you transfer within your division you have to sit out.

DraftBoy
07-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Some more details...

Workout is at 2pm at the Houston Texans facility
Eagles are confirmed to attend as well
Most teams are sending two reps (area scout and director of college scouting) for us that's Brian Fisher and Chuck Cook
Gordon will go through full combine testing and run drills with a QB (not sure how, could be a QB or a scout throwing to him)

We'll have a report with our scouting thoughts, his numbers, and grade up this afternoon once the workout goes final. Follow me on Twitter for the news as it happens.

DraftBoy
07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
My info was wrong on the time...It has started and here are the early numbers;

6'3, 224 lbs.
4.52 40
36" Vertical
10'1" Broad
13 Bench Reps

psubills62
07-10-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm interested mainly because we have such a need at WR.

Bill Cody
07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd rather have Gordon than TJ Graham

DraftBoy
07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Scouting Report;
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/07/wr-josh-gordon-scouting-report/

PTI
07-10-2012, 01:23 PM
He would be a good compliment for AJ Green on the Bengals. Benglas took a few WRs but they are weaker than the Bills at WR. Rams really need WR help. THey are worst in the NFL.

stuckincincy
07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
He would be a good compliment for AJ Green on the Bengals. Benglas took a few WRs but they are weaker than the Bills at WR.

??? Drafted Sanu and Marvin Jones, A. Hawkins came out of nowhere and converted key plays, Shipley who led rookie catches in 2010 will likely be (luxuriously) PUP'ed for 4 games. Ex-UC player Binns looks much better than expected. Gresham at TE, and rookie Orson Charles.

I'm not getting why you say CIN is weaker than BUF at pass catchers. :horror:

Ed
07-10-2012, 02:25 PM
He would be a good compliment for AJ Green on the Bengals. Benglas took a few WRs but they are weaker than the Bills at WR. Rams really need WR help. THey are worst in the NFL.
The Rams would make a lot of sense considering they missed out on getting a WR early in this past draft, plus they should have a bunch of extra picks from trading out of the #2 spot, so they have the flexibility to take a chance.

stuckincincy
07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
The Rams would make a lot of sense considering they missed out on getting a WR early in this past draft, plus they should have a bunch of extra picks from trading out of the #2 spot, so they have the flexibility to take a chance.

I think the Rams have some front office problems.

DraftBoy
07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Rumored leader in the clubhouse right now are the Cleveland Browns.

stuckincincy
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Rumored leader in the clubhouse right now are the Cleveland Browns.

Brownies' football is on my tv all season long.

Cribbs is a remarkable athlete, but it is about time they figured out that he's not an NFL wr. That Roscoe clone they drafted in the 4th this year might show something, but...

Skooby
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Josh Gordon, draft prospect, reportedly pulls quad

He hurt himself in shorts, he'd make a perfect guy to keep our IR record going:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a7358e/article/josh-gordon-draft-prospect-reportedly-pulls-quad?module=HP11_headline_stack

DraftBoy
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
He hurt himself in shorts, he'd make a perfect guy to keep our IR record going:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a7358e/article/josh-gordon-draft-prospect-reportedly-pulls-quad?module=HP11_headline_stack

Lots of people pull their muscles during these kind of drills.

Skooby
07-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Lots of people pull their muscles during these kind of drills.

So you don't see any red flags here?

DraftBoy
07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
So you don't see any red flags here?

No.

Skooby
07-11-2012, 01:06 PM
No.

Fair enough.

Bert102176
07-11-2012, 10:42 PM

but we don't know what Easley has in him except for the broken hart lol, had too

Bert102176
07-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I would drop a 2nd on him

Night Train
07-12-2012, 06:40 AM
I would drop a 2nd on him

Nice to see Matt Millen logging in.

Skooby
07-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Are these red flags?:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/6866282/baylor-bears-receiver-josh-gordon-leaves-team

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/7/25/2293634/josh-gordon-suspended-baylor-football

Bills Juggernaut
07-12-2012, 12:35 PM
lol.... Browns in the 2nd.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
The Bills must have forced their hand and they had to pick him in the 2nd because Buffalo was ahead of them in the third. To bad you can't see what bids there were.

stuckincincy
07-12-2012, 03:09 PM
lol.... Browns in the 2nd.

It was an easy prediction, that CLE would make a grab. I get, I dunno, 4, 5, 6 Brownies games on my tv every year. Before the April draft, a battle raged among CLE fans, Blackmon vs. Richardson.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a808c0/article/josh-gordon-taken-by-cleveland-browns-in-round-2?module=HP11_headline_stack

justasportsfan
07-12-2012, 03:15 PM
this means that the bills will be picking 32 in the 1st rd and 63 in the 2nd

Skooby
07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
this means that the bills will be picking 32 in the 1st rd and 63 in the 2nd

We be moving on up !!!

DraftBoy
07-12-2012, 03:53 PM
The Bills must have forced their hand and they had to pick him in the 2nd because Buffalo was ahead of them in the third. To bad you can't see what bids there were.

Per a few different people (notable Cecil Lammey) citing sources the Bills were considering making a 3rd Round bid so it was now or never for Cleveland.

Though they claim they were always bidding a 2nd Rounder.

stuckincincy
07-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Per a few different people (notable Cecil Lammey) citing sources the Bills were considering making a 3rd Round bid so it was now or never for Cleveland.

Though they claim they were always bidding a 2nd Rounder.

I don't study the supplemental players, but that was a pretty high pick for CLE to make. But I (think) I understand them - they really needed to make a stab at it. The need for somebody - anybody - was glaring.

Remains to be seen what next season brings for them, though. They've been playing cheap-shot D the past few years, and I for one think they are going to be repaid in kind.

Skooby
07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't study the supplemental players, but that was a pretty high pick for CLE to make. But I (think) I understand them - they really needed to make a stab at it. The need for somebody - anybody - was glaring.

Remains to be seen what next season brings for them, though. They've been playing cheap-shot D the past few years, and I for one think they are going to be repaid in kind.

I think the Cincy probation department is going to have some consulting work to do in Cleveland.

Night Train
07-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Ever since he moved from the sidelines to the front office, Mike Holmgrem has been a Titanic failure (Seattle, Cleveland ) and this just looks like another desperate move. Not impressed at all.

better days
07-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Every since he moved from the sidelines to the front office, Mike Holmgrem has been a Titanic failure (Seattle, Cleveland ) and this just looks like another desperate move. Not impressed at all.

I'm with you. Holmgren has been no better at being a GM than Levy was.

ddaryl
07-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Every since he moved from the sidelines to the front office, Mike Holmgrem has been a Titanic failure (Seattle, Cleveland ) and this just looks like another desperate move. Not impressed at all.

i agree.. I fail to see any reason to use a 1-5 pick on this guy.. A late 3rd day pick would be tolerable because now you can justify sticking the guy on the practice squad.

stuckincincy
07-13-2012, 08:09 AM
I think the Cincy probation department is going to have some consulting work to do in Cleveland.

Detroit is 80 miles closer... :redcar:

Mr. Pink
07-16-2012, 10:43 PM
I personally like the move. A big physical guy who can actually *gasp* catch the ball. Cleveland by far had the worst WR corps in football last year and most of the guys couldn't catch a cold, as evidenced by the fact they lead the NFL in dropped passes. A second round pick isn't too bad if he can catch 50 passes and not drop 10.

And a 4 year 5.3m dollar deal isn't bad at all.

DraftBoy
07-17-2012, 07:10 AM
I personally like the move. A big physical guy who can actually *gasp* catch the ball. Cleveland by far had the worst WR corps in football last year and most of the guys couldn't catch a cold, as evidenced by the fact they lead the NFL in dropped passes. A second round pick isn't too bad if he can catch 50 passes and not drop 10.

And a 4 year 5.3m dollar deal isn't bad at all.

Well I wouldn't assume he won't drop some. He had that issue before at Baylor and hasn't played ball in some time. I think Id set the bar for him around 20-30 catches and 270-300 yards for the season.

stuckincincy
07-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Well I wouldn't assume he won't drop some. He had that issue before at Baylor and hasn't played ball in some time. I think Id set the bar for him around 20-30 catches and 270-300 yards for the season.

Perhaps. Their pass game will certainly be helped if Richardson plays as advertised. But rookie Weeden is evidently the anointed starter. Poor CLE - they've had so many qb starters through the years since their resurrection - they remind me of WAS.

Drops were a problem for them - IIRC, Little led the league(?), and Massaquoi seems stuck in a 30 -35 reception rut. I think he'd do better with better quarterbacking.

I wonder if 7th rounder Brad Smelley survives their cuts. Evidently, he did ok in rookie minicamp...as most do:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/05/13/browns-notes-brad-smelley-that-other-bama-guy-making-a-good-impression-too/

Mr. Pink
07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Perhaps. Their pass game will certainly be helped if Richardson plays as advertised. But rookie Weeden is evidently the anointed starter. Poor CLE - they've had so many qb starters through the years since their resurrection - they remind me of WAS.

Drops were a problem for them - IIRC, Little led the league(?), and Massaquoi seems stuck in a 30 -35 reception rut. I think he'd do better with better quarterbacking.

I wonder if 7th rounder Brad Smelley survives their cuts. Evidently, he did ok in rookie minicamp...as most do:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/05/13/browns-notes-brad-smelley-that-other-bama-guy-making-a-good-impression-too/

MoMass is a guy who if he was on a different team would be lucky to see 10 offensive snaps a game. He wouldn't even provide an upgrade here in Buffalo.

Cleveland has only had one decent QB since they returned in 99, Couch. And they did their best to destroy whatever chance he had of being a decent QB in the NFL by surrounding him with no weapons, no offensive line, no running game and then a QB carousel lead by Botch Davis. I don't include Garcia because he was done by the time he arrived in Cleveland, even if they didn't install an offense that suited his talents.

Mr. Pink
07-17-2012, 03:11 PM

As long as he doesn't drop like 10, he'll be an improvement.

If Greg Little could go out and catch 50+ after a year away from football, so can Gordon. Especially since after Little, Cleveland's receiving corps is full of garbage. Josh Cribbs is not an NFL caliber WR.

DraftBoy
07-17-2012, 03:13 PM
As long as he doesn't drop like 10, he'll be an improvement.

If Greg Little could go out and catch 50+ after a year away from football, so can Gordon. Especially since after Little, Cleveland's receiving corps is full of garbage. Josh Cribbs is not an NFL caliber WR.

Maybe he does, but I just dont think the expectations are fair in the case of Gordon.

Mr. Pink
07-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Maybe he does, but I just dont think the expectations are fair in the case of Gordon.

The expectation isn't based upon how good Gordon is gonna be from the start, it's based on the fact there's little else to go to.

As long as Gordon is on the field, he's gonna have balls thrown to him, basically and 3 catches a game isn't too much to expect IMO.

stuckincincy
07-17-2012, 03:24 PM
The expectation isn't based upon how good Gordon is gonna be from the start, it's based on the fact there's little else to go to.

As long as Gordon is on the field, he's gonna have balls thrown to him, basically and 3 catches a game isn't too much to expect IMO.

CLE is hurting - could be.

Skooby
07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
If Gordon catches more than 40 passes, it'll be a miracle.

Meathead
07-17-2012, 04:35 PM
I wonder if 7th rounder Brad Smelley survives their cuts.

if he does his jersey should be a cleveland area favorite

stuckincincy
07-17-2012, 06:26 PM
if he does his jersey should be a cleveland area favorite

Heh - it would fit them. I still can't understand the hate they flung NBA'er LeBron James when he left. He played hard for the Cavs year after year, and when he left, I read that folks paid for billboard space to MF the guy, among other infantile things. I don't follow BB much, certainly not the NBA. I do recall him as being a polite, decent kid when he played HS in OH.

I was happy to see MIA get the title this year - just to rub it in to the CLE crowd.

better days
07-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Heh - it would fit them. I still can't understand the hate they flung NBA'er LeBron James when he left. He played hard for the Cavs year after year, and when he left, I read that folks paid for billboard space to MF the guy, among other infantile things. I don't follow BB much, certainly not the NBA. I do recall him as being a polite, decent kid when he played HS in OH.

I was happy to see MIA get the title this year - just to rub it in to the CLE crowd.

If you don't understand the HATE Cleveland feels for LeBron you must live in a cave with no access to what went on. The reason for the hate was the manner that James left Cleveland. All you have to do is google LeBron Cleveland & you will learn the reason for the HATRED for Lebron.

Mr. Pink
07-18-2012, 06:56 AM
If you don't understand the HATE Cleveland feels for LeBron you must live in a cave with no access to what went on. The reason for the hate was the manner that James left Cleveland. All you have to do is google LeBron Cleveland & you will learn the reason for the HATRED for Lebron.

Stuck also fails to understand that Lebron handpicked the players around him in Cleveland and the organization bent over backwards for him. Then he came out and said that they couldn't win a title there. He left Cleveland for one reason and one reason only, he couldn't handle being the man so he went elsewhere to play second fiddle to a real superstar.

stuckincincy
07-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Stuck also fails to understand that Lebron handpicked the players around him in Cleveland and the organization bent over backwards for him. Then he came out and said that they couldn't win a title there. He left Cleveland for one reason and one reason only, he couldn't handle being the man so he went elsewhere to play second fiddle to a real superstar.

Then I stand corrected. But I do not condone the fan's reactions.

Extremebillsfan247
07-18-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm just wondering how a thread about the Bills supposedly attending a Josh Gordon pro day turns into a Lebron James debate. Personally, I think the color coordination, "or lack there of", of this message board is effecting the judgement of some posters. I could be wrong about that. lol

mayotm
07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm just wondering how a thread about the Bills supposedly attending a Josh Gordon pro day turns into a Lebron James debate. Personally, I think the color coordination, "or lack there of", of this message board is effecting the judgement of some posters. I could be wrong about that. lolWelcome to the Bad Ohio Sports Teams Zone.

stuckincincy
07-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the Bad Ohio Sports Teams Zone.

Indeed...a shared misery.

Bills - pfft. Buf Braves - pfft. Cle Cavs - pfft. OSU - recent bowl games - pfft. Browns - pfft. Bengals - pfft. Sabres - pfft. Indians - got one in 1995 after 46 year drought. UCinn Orange Bowl game - pfft. UB - small surge with Turner Gill, now back to duckpin-for-hire status - pfft.

Recent highlights: Baseball Bisons, 1997, 1998, 2004. Hockey Bisons, 1970.

:mybills:

better days
07-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Then I stand corrected. But I do not condone the fan's reactions.

I doubt any Cavs fan or anyone that lives in or is from Cleveland cares that you don't condone their reactions. Lebron is to Cleveland as McGahee is to Buffalo, both deserve the respective scorn they receive from fans in those Cities.

Mr. Pink
07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
If Gordon catches more than 40 passes, it'll be a miracle.

Then you believe in miracles!