• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Tell us how you really feel about the blackout rule

Kitt Callahan [excerpt]:
    Stop being greedy **********s! Most people can't pay outrageous ticket prices every Sunday. I'm sick of getting it stuck in my ass everywhere I go. Let me at least sit home on Sundays and watch football because thats the only thing I can afford.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Tell us how you really feel about the blackout rule

I can't say I have a lot of passion over it because I'm outside the blackout radius.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

The blackout rule is complete horse ****. I live over 3 hours away from the stadium and still get blacked out. F that.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

It is what it is, big bu$ine$$.

After years of going to 300 + games, I packed it in and became a living room fan. If they are on, I'll watch. If they are blacked out, it's because they're out of the playoff picture and a better game will be on.

I'll live.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

After years of going to 300 + games, I packed it in and became a living room fan. If they are on, I'll watch. If they are blacked out, it's because they're out of the playoff picture and a better game will be on.

I'll live.
          A different game will be on, not necessarily a better game.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
            • Sep 2008

To put it in basic terms, blackouts will soon become impossible for the NFL, or any NFL team for that matter, to enforce. There are just too many ways to gain access to a live event that just were not available when the blackout rule first went into effect. All it takes to watch any NFL game nowadays is internet access from virtually any device capable of playing the format the stream is running in. Who here doesn't know what a p2p stream is? raise your hand. The blackout rule is all but obsolete now. JMO

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

without the ability to sell the luxury boxes at ridiculous prices the bills need the ticket revenue more than most teams. thus i dont expect them to take full 'advantage' of this new allowance

im not sure but i think i read that they can decide what their own predefined limit is and only have to give half the revenue above that to the other teams. if so, they should declare 95 percent as their requirement which would mean they have to get within 4000 tix unsold to show the game. that seems like a fair compromise that would spur fans to come to the game and not penalize the geographic area for coming just short
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I just thought it was funny that Kitt called them **********s .
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• bluerosekiller
                  • Jul 2008

If ol' Ralph decides to stick with the same old plan that has always been in effect, then it will be absolute proof that he's just a greedy old buzzard looking to rip every last dime out of this area & the Bill's fans. If he had any loyalty to Buffalo & the die hard fans that have done SO much to fill that over sized stadium for SO many years, he'd show some shred of appreciation by adopting the new rules & giving this struggling, depressed area in the midst of nationwide bad economic times, a much deserved break in his final years.
                  But, I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. He's FAR more likely to plead poverty & screw us over.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

If/when we have a decent team it won't matter

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

And that's honestly what it comes down to. Nobody in D/FW cared about the Rangers at all, two straight appearances in the World Series, and they've broken every prior attendance record; 2 million people attended the first half of the season. It's a proven formula just about everywhere, you put a winning product on the field, and they will come.
                      Originally posted by Sell Local Ralph View Post
                      If/when we have a decent team it won't matter

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

You field a competitive team & you have a crowd.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
                          And that's honestly what it comes down to. Nobody in D/FW cared about the Rangers at all, two straight appearances in the World Series, and they've broken every prior attendance record; 2 million people attended the first half of the season. It's a proven formula just about everywhere, you put a winning product on the field, and they will come.
                          Pretty much so, although I offer up the Pgh. Pirates as an exception. The minds and hearts there are Steelers first. I lived there 1978 through 1989. The Danny Murtaugh/Roberto Clemente/Pops Stargell clubs of the late '70s weren't that big of a draw. Then they went through a drought until the Jim Leyland/GM Syd Thrift regime took over. When they left in the early '90s, the Buccos ran off 19 straight losing seasons - the club being subsidized by $ from MLB. I don't know how their attendance has been through those years.

I happen to believe that baseball is the best live spectator sport. Many happy memories of sitting out in the cheap seats, enjoying a cigar, putting ones' cap into rally position, seeing the youngsters keeping score. I dislike it on tv, same for hockey and basketball.

My best BB moment: Doug Drabek carried a no-hitter through the top of the 8th against the Padres. Da*n Pirates almost batted around in the bottom, with the fans screaming for them to strike out of the inning lest Drabek's arm freezes up. Top of the 9th, a Padre hit a dying grounder right, and SS John Cangelosi tried mightily to snag it, but couldn't.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

I'll live.
                            Absolutely correct. One thing the NFL does do is maximize their TV deals. They won't waste much time on non-competitive teams/games.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                              Absolutely correct. One thing the NFL does do is maximize their TV deals. They won't waste much time on non-competitive teams/games.
                              I agree with this however, In Buffalo or any other NFL City the vast majority of NFL fans would rather watch the non-competitive home team to a competitive team from another City. I would bet ratings would be higher for a Bills game even if they are out of the playoff race than for any other NFL game.

This whole 85% rule is a load of CRAP IMO. They should have just said if 85% of seats are sold the game will not be blacked out PERIOD. That would have been much better for fans & the Networks alike.

Comment

Working...
                              X