PDA

View Full Version : Shane Doan RUMOR

SabreEleven
07-13-2012, 09:13 PM
WGR was reporting from another source that an unnamed Eastern Conference team offered Doan a 4 yr/28 million contract. Doan is about 37 years old...this would be a heck of a gamble if it is the Sabres. I'll see if I can find a link.

Skooby
07-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Hmmm...

chernobylwraiths
07-14-2012, 04:41 AM
I don't know if the sabres offered that much, but Darcy confirmed on GR earlier in the week the he did have a conversation with Doan's agent.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Someone mentioned they believe it is Montreal, I wouldn't be shocked if it were the Sabres.

mightysimi
07-14-2012, 05:43 AM
That is a pile of dough. I can't imagine any better offer comes along. If it is true, I'm sure he snatches it.

Skooby
07-14-2012, 09:45 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article946997.ece

Darcy: No Comment

SabreEleven
07-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Another bit from WGR on Friday is that its 4 years and his salary hit stays on the book even if he retires.

Skooby
07-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Another bit from WGR on Friday is that its 4 years and his salary hit stays on the book even if he retires.

Oye.

YardRat
07-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Please, no...

SabreEleven
07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Latest rumor is that it's Winnepeg that made this contract offer to Doan. Doan needs to **** or get off the pot.

PTI
07-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Just going to make it easier for another freaking lockout!!

SabreEleven
07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
What?

PTI
07-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Giving Doan that load of cash, NHL is already saying their is a chance there could be another lockout.

Skooby
07-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Giving Doan that load of cash, NHL is already saying their is a chance there could be another lockout.

I think your right their, gramittIcally speaking.

SkateZilla
07-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Darcy has moved on to signing players for Rochester, he's done signing players to play in Buffalo.

PTI
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I think your right their, gramittIcally speaking.

Yous ares correct.

OpIv37
07-18-2012, 10:59 AM
according to this, it's Detroit:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/red-wings-waiting-shane-doan-cba-talks-continue-194047454--nhl.html

With the potential realignment, should we be nervous that Detroit showed up as an "eastern conference" team?

THATHURMANATOR
07-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Please, no...

Yes please don't add a proven leader who can score and play center to the team!!! WTF is wrong with people.

Flipped we let Drury go but now not happy to sign his replacement.

I get it that it would be for insane money... BUT IT ISN'T MY MONEY. Why the **** would I care about that.

Also Pegula is structuring these deals as to not horribly impact the cap. If he wants to spend his money LET HIM!

OpIv37
07-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Yes please don't add a proven leader who can score and play center to the team!!! WTF is wrong with people.

I get it that it would be for insane money... BUT IT ISN'T MY MONEY. Why the **** would I care about that.

Also Pegula is structuring these deals as to not horribly impact the cap. If he wants to spend his money LET HIM!

The thing is that we already have Leino's useless ass taking up cap space for 3 more years. If we are the ones who made the offer and Doan retires after, say, 2 years, that's nearly 20% of the cap tied up in nothing.

This is the problem with the cap: if guys are playing well and helping the team, their cap hit doesn't matter and no one talks about it. When was the last time you heard anyone *****ing about Myers' or even Miller's cap hit? But, if a player isn't there or doesn't perform, then suddenly it becomes a big issue because the lack of space really limits what teams can do.

Meathead
07-20-2012, 04:38 AM
i dont care bcuz its not my money, i care bcuz if it is the sabres throwing around big dough to aging players then theres gonna be some cheap crappy ass teams hitting the ice in four or so years. yeah if you win a cup in the next couple fine but more likely you dont then youre forced into low cost rebuilding mode for half a decade (aka the leafs syndrome) and that would suck even worse

chernobylwraiths
07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
i dont care bcuz its not my money, i care bcuz if it is the sabres throwing around big dough to aging players then theres gonna be some cheap crappy ass teams hitting the ice in four or so years. yeah if you win a cup in the next couple fine but more likely you dont then youre forced into low cost rebuilding mode for half a decade (aka the leafs syndrome) and that would suck even worse

I don't know, the Rangers and Flyers never have the problem of spending money.

SabreEleven
07-20-2012, 10:35 AM

*Because

you aren't a 14 year old girl sending a text message.

swiper
07-21-2012, 06:09 AM

Drury was 28 when he came to the Sabres, not 36.

And speaking of Drury, the Rangers tried exactly what you are suggesting with him. They signed Drury to a huge contract for his leadership. He stunk terribly there, then injured his knee and was forced to retire. And Doan is 8 years older. It's a very risky proposition.

mightysimi
07-21-2012, 06:22 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/21/shane-doan-rangers-coyotes-kings-penguins-red-wings-sharks-canucks/?sct=hp_t2_a9

Meathead
07-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Sabres Still Player in Doan Sweepstakes

Agent Terry Bross confirms that Doan has visited both the New York Rangers and the Philadelphia Flyers. By email he told Two On Your Side's Stu Boyar "We visited both teams because we were in the city for NHLPA meetings. Shane is still waiting to see what happens with Coyotes ownership. The Sabres are still in the mix and a team of interest ."

Bross adds that Doan is expecting to narrow down the list of teams soon and go from there. Bross says six official offers have been made to his client.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/175457/4/Sabres-Still-Player-in-Doan-Sweepstakes-

SkateZilla
07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Sabres Still Player in Doan Sweepstakes

Agent Terry Bross confirms that Doan has visited both the New York Rangers and the Philadelphia Flyers. By email he told Two On Your Side's Stu Boyar "We visited both teams because we were in the city for NHLPA meetings. Shane is still waiting to see what happens with Coyotes ownership. The Sabres are still in the mix and a team of interest ."

Bross adds that Doan is expecting to narrow down the list of teams soon and go from there. Bross says six official offers have been made to his client.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/175457/4/Sabres-Still-Player-in-Doan-Sweepstakes-

and Pegula says "Do you accept Cash?" cha-ching!, and starts pulling out stacks of 100s.

We tried this, Old slow players do not mesh well with the faster style of play ruff is trying to "integrate" into his "defensive" style of play.

Drury got **** on by the NYR, and they bought out his contract.

rbochan
07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
and Pegula says "Do you accept Cash?" cha-ching!, and starts pulling out stacks of 100s.

We tried this, Old slow players do not mesh well with the faster style of play ruff is trying to "integrate" into his "defensive" style of play.

Drury got **** on by the NYR, and they bought out his contract.

Drury killed his knee and retired. But don't let facts get in your way...

OpIv37
07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't mind having him on the team, just not for tha insane contract

SkateZilla
07-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Drury killed his knee and retired. But don't let facts get in your way...

I know this, but the rangers were treating him like crap from Day 1 out of camp, even before he blew his knee.

Drury should come back as a coach.

chernobylwraiths
07-31-2012, 11:43 AM
REPORT: DOAN SEEKS FOUR YEARS, $30M IF HE LEAVES COYOTES

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401580

No mention of Buffalo.

SabreEleven
07-31-2012, 12:13 PM
This story is two weeks old.

chernobylwraiths
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I thought the story from two weeks ago was that he was offered that contract from some northeast division team. This story said that he is looking for that as a salary. But it is dated four days ago. It was the top TSN hockey story, so I thought it was newer.

SabreEleven
07-31-2012, 02:30 PM
TSN was behind on this story, I heard about this a week before TSN had it on their page.

Skooby
07-31-2012, 07:33 PM
TSN was behind on this story, I heard about this a week before TSN had it on their page.

A patch is due.

SabreEleven
08-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Doan is in Vancouver today.

OpIv37
08-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Doan is in Vancouver today.

Good- maybe something gets done and we can stop talking about this nonsense. Like I said before, I wouldn't mind having Doan on the team, but that is just far too hefty of a financial commitment for a player at the end of his career.

Skooby
08-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Good- maybe something gets done and we can stop talking about this nonsense. Like I said before, I wouldn't mind having Doan on the team, but that is just far too hefty of a financial commitment for a player at the end of his career.

Agreed.

SabreEleven
08-01-2012, 05:57 PM
WGR says Doan is NOT scheduled to visit Buffalo

SkateZilla
08-02-2012, 12:22 PM
they need to stop chasing doan and re-sign ennis

SabreEleven
08-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't think they are chasing Doan. People on the Internet are chasing him harding than the Sabres. They put in their offer and put the ball in his court.

SabreEleven
08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
WGR is reporting Doan narrowed it down to Vancouver, Pittsburgh, and Rangers with Rangers being the front runner. He is looking for someone to give him a 4 year contract.

clumping platelets
08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Toodles to Doan

We need to target Ryan or maybe Clowe.

We won't find a center....we will have to wait for G & G to develop

OpIv37
08-07-2012, 10:38 AM
How the hell do the Rangers manage to spend so much money every ****ing year?

Night Train
08-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Good. He's too freakin old and may hit the wall soon, like Drury did. No more dumb spending.

Electrici
08-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Doan would be a great veteran presence but is asking way too much money. Not a big loss to the Sabres. He should stay in Phoenix anyways, IMO.

JD
08-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Pegula wants the cup either this year, or next.. so I could see him loading up with ridiculous contracts as this one. If it means we win a cup this year, will you be *****ing about the cap next year?

OpIv37
08-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Pegula wants the cup either this year, or next.. so I could see him loading up with ridiculous contracts as this one. If it means we win a cup this year, will you be *****ing about the cap next year?

Of course not, but let's be realistic.

We are not one or two players away from a Cup. We are at least 4 players away from a Cup, probably 5 or 6. And with the ****ty Leino and Vanek contracts, and most of the top talent from this off-season already signed, it'll be damn near impossible for him to load up.

I really hope Pegula is smarter than that. There will be a time to go for broke, but now is not it.

THATHURMANATOR
08-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Of course not, but let's be realistic.

We are not one or two players away from a Cup. We are at least 4 players away from a Cup, probably 5 or 6. And with the ****ty Leino and Vanek contracts, and most of the top talent from this off-season already signed, it'll be damn near impossible for him to load up.

I really hope Pegula is smarter than that. There will be a time to go for broke, but now is not it.

I agree with this. Maybe we will be surprised in season and then they can make some big moves at the deadline.

Right now I don't see many options out there.

SabreEleven
08-22-2012, 04:42 AM
John Buccigross is hearing the Sabres offered Doan 4yrs/30 mil

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/21/report-sabres-offer-shane-doan-four-year-30m-deal/

OpIv37
08-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Well it's official.

Pegula is the Snyder of the NHL.

He's going to keep trying to buy a championship and it's going to keep failing.

SabreEleven
08-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Well it's official.

Pegula is the Snyder of the NHL.

He's going to keep trying to buy a championship and it's going to keep failing.

I wouldn't call it official until he is signed. Pegula has been owner for one full season. I'll give him more than that before I call him Snyder.

OpIv37
08-22-2012, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't call it official until he is signed. Pegula has been owner for one full season. I'll give him more than that before I call him Snyder.

According to this, the offer's already been made. Regardless of whether Doan accepts it or not, Pegula is still trying to buy a Cup. If it works, great, but I just don't see how it's ever going to work with Doan being so old and Leino and Vanek not playing up to their contracts.

DMBcrew36
08-22-2012, 07:55 PM
According to this, the offer's already been made. Regardless of whether Doan accepts it or not, Pegula is still trying to buy a Cup. If it works, great, but I just don't see how it's ever going to work with Doan being so old and Leino and Vanek not playing up to their contracts.

The Leino contract is like a kick in the balls right now. Doan at 7.5 million or whatever is like Leino contract v2.0

OpIv37
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
The Leino contract is like a kick in the balls right now. Doan at 7.5 million or whatever is like Leino contract v2.0

Yup, exactly what I'm saying. We just traded Roy because he never performed up to his contract. We still have Leino and now he wants to give Doan this insane amount of money? That's going to be over 20% of our cap tied up in 2 guys, one of whom does nothing and one of whom is pushing 40.

I really wish the league worked like NHL 95, where you could trade Sergei Federov, Eric Lindros, Ray Borque and Mario Lemieux to the Sabres for 4th liners without having to worry about salary, but it doesn't. Pegula needs to wake up.

THATHURMANATOR
08-24-2012, 03:50 PM
So funny to read your guys comments.

Rewind 5 or 6 years ago they were the exact opposite whining about how we don't pay anyone.

This town really is just impossible to please.

In regards to Vanek. His contract was not Pegulas. Vanek also is currently our best forward. He produces. Maybe not at his contract but he is a good player.

Leino is a bad contract but I am willing to give him another shot in the hopes he can revert to the Leino of 2 years ago.

Would Doan at 4 years and 30 million be insane? At first thought of course.

However how would the Sables structure it. If they did something like they did with Erhoff it could be 30 million but not have a huge cap implication. If that was the case would you still be freaking out?

Also I will take being the team that buys players over the team that never signs anyone EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!!

OpIv37
08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
The town isn't impossible to please. They just have to win.

They didn't do it by not paying people and now they're not doing it with the Snyder strategy. Throwing money around doesn't guarantee victory. If it did, the Rangers would win the Cup every year. The money has to be spent wisely.

As far as Vanek: look, the reality is that there's a salary cap and he's taking up about ~$7 million of it a year and playing like a guy who should be making $4 million, maybe $5 million tops. So, that's $2-3 million that can't be spent on other players. It doesn't matter if the contract is Pegula's doing or not. It doesn't matter if the expectations on Vanek are unreasonable or not. The reality is that when players don't play up to their contracts, it makes it VERY hard for teams to win, and Vanek is no exception.

And of course I wouldn't be freaking out if the Doan deal was structured to have a small cap hit. I don't give a **** how much money Pegula (or Ralph with the Bills) actually have to pay. I only care how it affects the team and their ability to sign/re-sign good players over the life of the contract.

mightysimi
08-25-2012, 10:20 AM
You can't structure the deal to be a small cap hit. 30 mil divided by 4 years is still 7.75 a season to the cap. Regardless if you pay him 25 million in the first year and barely anything the next 3. It is still going to be an average of the deal. Erhoff is different because it was a 10 year deal (I think) so you could pay him a ton up front and the hit would still only be like 4 mil because of the total length of the deal. Just doesn't work with 4 year deals.

YardRat
09-14-2012, 08:38 PM
The party's over...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=641490

Doan re-signs with Coyotes for four years

OpIv37
09-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Praise Jeebus. That was far too much for Doan and it would have handicapped us for years.