PDA

View Full Version : How does Hawerchuk rank with the best Sabres?

mightysimi
07-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Being from Winnipeg, I have a soft spot for Dale Hawerchuk. Just curious how the Sabres fans thought of him when he was playing there?

chernobylwraiths
07-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Very good player, unfortunately his best years were behind him. Didn't play very long for us. However, one of our best chances at getting a cup came in the 'May Day' year when we lost to Monteal in four with three coming in overtime. We were somewhat of an offensive team that year with Mogilny and Lafontaine at their best, but we lost both of them in that series and only Hawerchuk was left. Montreal went on to win that cup.

So, unfortunately he was overshadowed mostly when he was here even though he was was still pretty good.

mightysimi
07-15-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm going to say underrated. Pat Lafontaine is thought of as an all time great on the Sabres isn't he? He played barely a season more than Hawerchuk but yet they had the same amount of points. 86 points was his fewest or that span so I disagree that he was on the decline. Other than 1 monster season, he outscored Lafontaine every time. Either way it's an interesting debate. I think he was undervalued to your franchise.

chernobylwraiths
07-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Hawerchuk played 342 games as a Sabre, Lafontaine played 258 over roughly that same time, but many felt that Lafontaine was the superstar of the team along with Mogilny. Plus Lafontaine missed significant time with a knee injury and concussions. What I said was he was a very good player, which he was his entire career. Lafontaine was well loved for many reasons here, one of which was his availability to the media and to fans. I don't remember seeing Hawerchuck in that way when he was here.

Hawerchuk wasn't the focal point of the Sabres when he was here, there was always someone else that people were looking at. Maybe saying he was on the decline was a little strong, but he never reached the point totals he had in Winnipeg.

mightysimi
07-16-2012, 12:06 PM
That is true. Thanks for giving me the inside scoop. It was interesting to me to see how one player was revered but another while respected, wasn't as much with virtually identical and in some case superior production. It is true that he was a very quiet, go about his business type of player so I can see it. Not to mention Lafontaine being American didn't hurt.

chernobylwraiths
07-16-2012, 01:25 PM
That is true. Thanks for giving me the inside scoop. It was interesting to me to see how one player was revered but another while respected, wasn't as much with virtually identical and in some case superior production. It is true that he was a very quiet, go about his business type of player so I can see it. Not to mention Lafontaine being American didn't hurt.

Yeah, we Americans like Americans.

That's just from my viewpoint though.

Philagape
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
LaFontaine averaged 1.4 points per game in Buffalo. Hawerchuk, 1.1.
LaFontaine scored 48 more goals in 74 fewer games.

I would guess that's why he got more attention.

Night Train
07-16-2012, 06:11 PM
A pro's pro but he was his best with the Jets.