PDA

View Full Version : This is why they were right to dump Lynch

Philagape
07-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Marshawn Lynch arrested for suspicion of DUI over the weekend (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19598878/marshan-lynch-arrested-for-suspicion-of-dui-over-the-weekend)

As a multiple offender who got 3 games last time, he was a long-term suspension waiting to happen. He can't help a team if he's not playing, and he's not worth the trouble.

Meathead
07-17-2012, 03:18 AM
thugnificent strikes again

so he gets half the season this time, right?

mug shot:

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Marshawn_Lynch-Mugshot.jpg

Buddo
07-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Dunno what he will get tbh, there may be some mitigating circumstances, and some might depend on what his reading was. Just over, he might get less, as he could be deemed to have made a judgement error, but easily over, and he is toast imho.

Bills FO were absolutely correct in moving him on. Undeniable talent, but also undeniably immature off the field. Way too much of a distraction, when you are trying to build something. I seriously cannot believe how dumb this is, tbh. Lynch only just got another big payday, and for his on the field work, he deserved it. But here we go, let's just chuck large lumps of it away, by being stupid.

Night Train
07-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Someone elses headache now.

Wonder if he still smuggles his own booze into clubs, ordering just tonic and mixing his own drinks. Was well known for that in his Bills days.Oh well, this is why the Bills felt they needed to draft Spiller. Wasn't happy with the pick back then but I can understand it now.

Lynch will ruin his career and this won't be the last arrest.

mayotm
07-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Besides his off the field antics, Lynch hasn't been as good as Jackson on the field. Lynch was decent last season, but Jackson was having the better season before his injury.

MattyNH
07-17-2012, 06:32 AM
I am going to assume he was a little tipsy when he ran that girl over in Buffalo. I know some will jump all over me for that but its kinda common sense, I will admit that is a 1% chance I am wrong. So after that event where you could have killed or maimed someone and potentially done significant jail time you still go around drinking and driving? Not to mention you are a multimillionaire and can afford to pay someone to drive you around. The stupidity of this guy is off the charts.

Jan Reimers
07-17-2012, 06:44 AM
What ever happened to his Mama, who was supposed to keep him on the straight and narrow?

I hated him for his cowardly, classless actions in the hit and run incident (although many of you supported his behavior of running home, locking his door and hiding behind his lawyer), and I think his problems since then have vindicated those of us who thought he was a thug and a punk back then.

I am so happy that he is no longer a Bill.

DraftBoy
07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Clearly this was the right decision to cut bait when we did. Seahawks fans now have a nightmare on their hands with the depth behind Lynch being Leon Washington, Robert Turbin, & Kregg Lumpkin. Not real formidable.

ddaryl
07-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Yep that's why you cut your losses when you can.

Most of us knew Lynch was not going to stay out of trouble.. It was pretty obvious.

The Bills clealry made the wisest decision...

Dr. Lecter
07-17-2012, 07:30 AM
What ever happened to his Mama, who was supposed to keep him on the straight and narrow?

I hated him for his cowardly, classless actions in the hit and run incident (although many of you supported his behavior of running home, locking his door and hiding behind his lawyer), and I think his problems since then have vindicated those of us who thought he was a thug and a punk back then.

I am so happy that he is no longer a Bill.

Really?

And yes, this validates what many of us said - he was more problem than he was worth

ddaryl
07-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Really?

And yes, this validates what many of us said - he was more problem than he was worth

There were a percentage that thought the Bills should of Kept Lynch and not drafted Spiller. There were even some that thought Jackson shoulds of been the odd man out

Meathead
07-17-2012, 08:32 AM
bills got hairston and carder for him. considering that for half the season they will be getting air, id take that swap

justasportsfan
07-17-2012, 08:47 AM
his nos. were not good enough to overcome the headaches.

psubills62
07-17-2012, 09:19 AM
And right after a nice, fat contract. Congrats, Seattle.

Oh, and I'm pretty happy that this happened after we got our conditional draft pick.

Jan Reimers
07-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Really?

As I remember, Doc, quite a surprising number of posters thought he did the right thing by running, hiding and hiring a lawyer, rather than acting like a man and helping his victim, or at least showing some remorse. Many even made fun of the victim and acted as if it were her fault for getting in his way.

Mr. Miyagi
07-17-2012, 09:56 AM
thugnificent strikes again

so he gets half the season this time, right?

mug shot:

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Marshawn_Lynch-Mugshot.jpg
Thug mode!

stuckincincy
07-17-2012, 09:59 AM
As I remember, Doc, quite a surprising number of posters thought he did the right thing by running, hiding and hiring a lawyer, rather than acting like a man and helping his victim, or at least showing some remorse. Many even made fun of the victim and acted as if it were her fault for getting in his way.

Moral relativism exploded in the '60's, has taken over, and that's what has been taught as gospel to a generation. No surprise.`

Fixxxer
07-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Lynch is everything you want in a player on the field. Off the field, what a dumb ***. He's doesn't get it and I believe never will, Rogelio Goddell will strike upon him with half a year suspension and least mode will be the most hated individual in Seattle, organization and players included.

OpIv37
07-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Lot of revisionist historians in here.

I don't recall too many people objecting to trading Lynch.

I do recall several people- myself included- objecting to waiting until the season started to trade him. We should have traded him BEFORE the draft so we could have gotten a draft pick to help with the plethora of needs we had at the time, instead of delaying any potential benefit from the trade by at least a year.

Ed
07-17-2012, 10:41 AM
It was only a matter of time. I think this puts to rest all those threads where people argued that the Bills should have kept Lynch. We've got two RB's that are better than him anyway and we were able to add Chris Hairston and Tank Carder by shipping Lynch out of town. Lynch behaved himself just long enough to sucker the Seahawks into giving him a bunch of guaranteed money and this is how he returns the favor. What a loser.

It's like Nix said before the draft when talking about adding players with character issues, "You get enough trouble without getting one that you know is a problem." He knew Lynch was a problem when he got here and wisely traded him while he still had some value. Good move by Nix.

ddaryl
07-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Lynch is everything you want in a player on the field. .

Debatable.. He had his ups and downs.. He had moments and then he would disappear

Fixxxer
07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Debatable.. He had his ups and downs.. He had moments and then he would disappear

his downs are correlated with his off the field problems, having trouble with the city he lives in and being overweight. (I'm not justifiyng him) When I say on the field, is literal, the guy is a beast on it, he doesn't go down at first contact and he fights for that extra yard.

But he's stupid, he found his place and happiness in Seattle, but he couldn't wait to *** things up.

MattyNH
07-17-2012, 10:59 AM

He had moments when he refused to hit a hole, seasons at a time actually. He would just wait for guys to jump on him and then drag them a couple yards for a season and a half.

Ed
07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Lot of revisionist historians in here.

I don't recall too many people objecting to trading Lynch.

I do recall several people- myself included- objecting to waiting until the season started to trade him. We should have traded him BEFORE the draft so we could have gotten a draft pick to help with the plethora of needs we had at the time, instead of delaying any potential benefit from the trade by at least a year.
It's possible that they did try to trade him before the draft, but maybe they just couldn't get the value they wanted at the time. We really don't know what went on behind the scenes. And they did end up getting two draft picks for him, so I think it worked out in the end. Also, of the three previous drafts I think we all agree that the 2009 draft looks worse than our last two drafts, so would the Bills really be better off right now if they had had an extra pick or two in the 2009 draft, as opposed to getting an extra pick in the 2010 and 2011 draft? It's possible he could have gotten better value, but there's no guarantee that trading him before the draft would have worked out better for the team in the long run. It's just speculation at this point and there's nothing to really back up either opinion. Overall, I think Nix made a good decision and I think we got decent value.

OpIv37
07-17-2012, 11:15 AM
It's possible that they did try to trade him before the draft, but maybe they just couldn't get the value they wanted at the time. We really don't know what went on behind the scenes. And they did end up getting two draft picks for him, so I think it worked out in the end. Also, of the three previous drafts I think we all agree that the 2009 draft looks worse than our last two drafts, so would the Bills really be better off right now if they had had an extra pick or two in the 2009 draft, as opposed to getting an extra pick in the 2010 and 2011 draft? It's possible he could have gotten better value, but there's no guarantee that trading him before the draft would have worked out better for the team in the long run. It's just speculation at this point and there's nothing to really back up either opinion. Overall, I think Nix made a good decision and I think we got decent value.

Depends what happens. I will be more inclined to agree with you if the team actually improves and becomes legit contenders, with those draft picks playing a role. Otherwise, taking 2 RB's in the first round in 3 years looks like yet another example of the Bills building for a future that never actually arrives.

Bill Cody
07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Maybe they could get his mom to fill in for him- he's like a clone of her

Bill Cody
07-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Beast Mode = " I ****ed up yet again"

SABURZFAN
07-17-2012, 12:13 PM
one of the few things that the Bills brass did right was getting rid of Lynch. can you imagine what this board would be like if the Bills did what Seattle did?

Bill Cody
07-17-2012, 12:40 PM
can you imagine what this board would be like if the Bills did what Seattle did?

Angry, negative, whiny.....yeah about the same as now

better days
07-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Well, I was a Lynch supporter & HATED the trade. However, it looks like the Bills may have gotten two good players for him in trade & now Lynch could well be out an entire year............I am much happier about the trade.

Joe Fo Sho
07-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I'd still rather have drafted Pierre Paul over Spiller. Even with this news, I'd rather have Freddie, Lynch, and Pierre Paul over what we have now.

Skooby
07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
He probably got this avoiding another fat girl & swerving, lol.

Lone Stranger
07-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Moral relativism exploded in the '60's, has taken over, and that's what has been taught as gospel to a generation. No surprise.`
Amen

Philagape
07-17-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd still rather have drafted Pierre Paul over Spiller. Even with this news, I'd rather have Freddie, Lynch, and Pierre Paul over what we have now.

Freddie, Spiller and Mario Williams is fine with me. JPP is hindsight

Joe Fo Sho
07-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Freddie, Spiller and Mario Williams is fine with me. JPP is hindsight

Right, of course it's hindsight, but not out of the question. Imagine Jackson and Lynch...and Mario Dareus K. Williams and JPP on the D-Line...boom.

kishoph
07-18-2012, 04:10 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long for him to find himself in trouble again.

Ed
07-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Right, of course it's hindsight, but not out of the question. Imagine Jackson and Lynch...and Mario Dareus K. Williams and JPP on the D-Line...boom.
I think you need to keep in mind that even if Lynch hadn't been traded he most likely would not still be with the team. He didn't want to be here anymore and would have just left as a free agent.

Joe Fo Sho
07-18-2012, 10:48 AM
I think you need to keep in mind that even if Lynch hadn't been traded he most likely would not still be with the team. He didn't want to be here anymore and would have just left as a free agent.

Yeah, as was said, this is all hindsight but it's fun to play around sometimes. I would still take a D-Line of JPP, Dareus, K Williams, and Mario even if we had to give up every running back on this team.

Philagape
07-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah, as was said, this is all hindsight but it's fun to play around sometimes. I would still take a D-Line of JPP, Dareus, K Williams, and Mario even if we had to give up every running back on this team.

But would they have gone after Mario so hard if they had JPP?

Joe Fo Sho
07-18-2012, 11:41 AM
But would they have gone after Mario so hard if they had JPP?

Well since it's impossible to say either way, I'm going to say with no less than 100% certainty...Yes, yes they would have.

stuckincincy
07-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Well since it's impossible to say either way, I'm going to say with no less than 100% certainty...Yes, yes they would have.

Nicely couched. Are you a government employee? :kid:

Joe Fo Sho
07-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Nicely couched. Are you a government employee? :hand:

Ha, I wish. I just talk a lot of ****, especially when no one can prove me right or wrong.

stuckincincy
07-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Ha, I wish. I just talk a lot of ****, especially when no one can prove me right or wrong.

:snicker2:

Ed
07-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Well it's official. Lynch has formally been charged with a DUI. I think he's looking at at least a 6-8 game suspension, maybe more. Apparently he almost hit a couple other vehicles while he was at it. Nice work Beastmode. I wonder if there are any clauses in his new contract with Seattle where they can void the deal if he has legal trouble.

PTI
07-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Mortenson just said he will not be getting any league suspension for this on NFL Live. He also said there is nothing the Seahawks can do about the contract, and Lynch should be business as usual.

There will be Beast Mode in game 1.

Ed
07-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Mortenson just said he will not be getting any league suspension for this on NFL Live. He also said there is nothing the Seahawks can do about the contract, and Lynch should be business as usual.

How is that possible? I thought DUI's were an automatic suspension of at least a game or two and he's a repeat offender. That can't be right.

PTI
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
How is that possible? I thought DUI's were an automatic suspension of at least a game or two and he's a repeat offender. That can't be right.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8178170

No contractual repercussions, blew just a little over the legal limit, he might get 2 games, I misinterpreted what he said, it is a violation of the substance abuse policy, he did not say he without a doubt a doubt would get a suspension. This is not a personal conduct penalty, which I guess is the more punishable for many games.

Ed
07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8178170

No contractual repercussions, blew just a little over the legal limit, he might get 2 games, I misinterpreted what he said, it is a violation of the substance abuse policy, he did not say he without a doubt a doubt would get a suspension. This is not a personal conduct penalty, which I guess is the more punishable for many games.
Yeah I watched that after I read your previous post. That's weird to me that it's only considered a substance abuse issue. I would think such a serious traffic violation would be part of personal conduct. I mean if he had hurt someone else it would be, but because he didn't it's just substance abuse? oh well, whatever.

Meathead
07-18-2012, 06:06 PM
he should get at least a couple of games for dws alone

Meathead
07-18-2012, 06:11 PM
no contractual repercussions?!

then wtf is this mort:

"An NFL executive tells Sirius XM Radio's Ross Tucker that a suspension for conduct detrimental or substance abuse defaults Marshawn Lynch's four-year, $31 million contract and voids guaranteed money. If true, the contract structure was an incredibly prudent move by Seattle, realizing the suspension risk inherent in locking up a player who had already run afoul of the league's personal conduct policy on multiple occasions. Seahawks brass may have to confer with ownership to determine the future of their offensive focal point after his recent DUI. The contract Lynch signed in March contains $17 million in guarantees." (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch)

better days
07-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Yeah I watched that after I read your previous post. That's weird to me that it's only considered a substance abuse issue. I would think such a serious traffic violation would be part of personal conduct. I mean if he had hurt someone else it would be, but because he didn't it's just substance abuse? oh well, whatever.

And after previously hitting a pedestrian, he almost hit a couple cars this time according to reports. I will wait to hear what Goodell has to say about the matter.

Night Train
07-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Funny how Beast Mode has now morphed into Baked Mode.

kishoph
07-19-2012, 02:18 AM

In black and white there should be no suspension, but who knows what kind of stipulations came with his last suspension, it could be where he was told that any infractions would carry another suspension.

Extremebillsfan247
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Marshawn Lynch arrested for suspicion of DUI over the weekend (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19598878/marshan-lynch-arrested-for-suspicion-of-dui-over-the-weekend)

As a multiple offender who got 3 games last time, he was a long-term suspension waiting to happen. He can't help a team if he's not playing, and he's not worth the trouble.

The title is somewhat correct in that the Bills did need to dump Lynch, or somebody. Having 3 RB's all capable, and wanting to start proved unequivocally to be counter productive. One of these RB's had to go. Lynch's off the field issues made him the easiest sell to the public. But, trading 1 of these RB's was all but inevitable. The Bills just got rid of the guy that would result in the least amount of collateral damage from public scrutiny. That's my opinion.

stuckincincy
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM
no contractual repercussions?!

then wtf is this mort:

"An NFL executive tells Sirius XM Radio's Ross Tucker that a suspension for conduct detrimental or substance abuse defaults Marshawn Lynch's four-year, $31 million contract and voids guaranteed money. If true, the contract structure was an incredibly prudent move by Seattle, realizing the suspension risk inherent in locking up a player who had already run afoul of the league's personal conduct policy on multiple occasions. Seahawks brass may have to confer with ownership to determine the future of their offensive focal point after his recent DUI. The contract Lynch signed in March contains $17 million in guarantees." (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch)

Interesting. IIRC, such language was removed in the previous CBA (the one that Brown and Wilson voted against).

Philagape
07-19-2012, 09:40 AM
The title is somewhat correct in that the Bills did need to dump Lynch, or somebody. Having 3 RB's all capable, and wanting to start proved unequivocally to be counter productive. One of these RB's had to go. Lynch's off the field issues made him the easiest sell to the public. But, trading 1 of these RB's was all but inevitable. The Bills just got rid of the guy that would result in the least amount of collateral damage from public scrutiny. That's my opinion.

The pertinent word is dump; as in, get what some thought was less than market value.

Obviously, his history drove that value down and probably contributed to the decision to draft Spiller in the first place.

BertSquirtgum
07-19-2012, 10:09 PM
What a stupid mother ****er. This ****** used to be my favorite player. I can't believe he didn't learn his lesson. I hope he gets the max.

feldspar
07-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Lynch only blew a .08 when they first pulled him over. That IS the limit. IMO, his lawyer has a great chance to get him out of this. He'll focus on how these breathlayzers are not perfect, which definitely could introduce a reasonable doubt. Whether or not Lynch was baked or something else will not be an issue here. Could have been on the reefer or anything else. Can't see swerving around blowing at this level...

.08 could be just a couple of few drinks, depending who you are or how fast you drank them. That's not demonic behavior by itself, people.

Not defending him, just talking about some of the finer points of this particular incident.

PTI
07-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Lynch only blew a .08 when they first pulled him over. That IS the limit. IMO, his lawyer has a great chance to get him out of this. He'll focus on how these breathlayzers are not perfect, which definitely could introduce a reasonable doubt. Whether or not Lynch was baked or something else will not be an issue here. Could have been on the reefer or anything else. Can't see swerving around blowing at this level...

.08 could be just a couple of few drinks, depending who you are or how fast you drank them. That's not demonic behavior by itself, people.

Not defending him, just talking about some of the finer points of this particular incident.

I have been seeing this too, he can get off on this.

I liked Lynch as a player. wish he could have stayed out of trouble, he was fun to watch. He sure played on some bad teams here.

Bill Cody
07-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Lynch only blew a .08

Wow dumb and can't hold his liquor, tough combo

Bill Cody
07-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I have been seeing this too, he can get off on this.

I liked Lynch as a player. wish he could have stayed out of trouble, he was fun to watch. He sure played on some bad teams here.

And if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle. Playing games for millions is a lottery ticket and it's utterly amazing to me how many of these entitled imbeciles tear up the winning ticket. On the sympathy chart he doesn't even blow .08 for me.