• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor
    • Jan 2009

Jackson vs Spiller, No…Jackson & Spiller vs Opposing Defenses, Yes

By Mike Watkins
    (Twitter: Merk256)

One of the interesting things to follow this year with the upcoming season is going to be the backfield situation in Buffalo. You have a now proven veteran and fan favorite in Fred Jackson paired with a young explosive player in CJ Spiller. Jackson has been and is the more accomplished of the two but CJ Spiller finally showed at the end of last year what type of player he can be when given a proper amount of carries to showcase his skills. The issue becomes how to get both of these players the right amount of carries to maximize their play making ability. The Bills have yet to figure out the right ratio.

The first and foremost reason the Bills need to figure this out is Jackson’s age. He is on the wrong side of 30 and while he has not shown signs of slowing down nor taken the number of hits that a RB of his age has normally taken he still isn’t getting any younger. To reduce the wear and tear on him and increase the likely hood of him making it through the season and extending his productive years the Bills would be wise to start giving some carries to Spiller. This does the aforementioned but also gives Spiller a chance to get into the flow of the game. Up until he became the starter at the end of last year, due to an injury to Jackson, he had only seen on average 5 carries a game. This is not enough for him to get into any type of flow. It also leads to him pressing to make a big play because of limited opportunities. So it results in him extending out a play by taking it wide or “dancing” behind the line of scrimmage. Obviously this is not what the Bills want out of him or any player

If Spiller gets more carries it can also have an impact on how DC’s prepare for the Bills. Now instead of having to mostly just prepare for Jackson they have to be aware of Spiller. This is an advantage for a couple reasons.

Spiller is an explosive player with game breaking speed that can be a threat to score from anywhere on the field. This can be a nightmare for opposing DC’s to game plan for because you always have to note where he is and not allow him to get into the open field. When Spiller gets into the second and third level of a defense the odds are with him that he is about to break off a big play. If he does it once early in a game, for the rest of it he will be in the back of the defensive coordinator and defensive player’s mind. This can be an advantage because once you get defensive players thinking rather than reacting, that’s when the mistakes pile up in your favor.

Another reason is Jackson and Spiller have different running styles. Jackson is the more between the tackles elusive runner who defenders have a hard time getting clean shots on and Spiller is the burner who once he gets into the open field is extremely hard to catch and bring down. It’s tough enough preparing to stop one type of effective RB let alone two. This also allows the Bills to put them on the field at the same time leading to yet another situation that the opposing teams have to spend time prepping for.

The next reason we need to see a better distribution of carries is that the Bills used the 9th pick in the draft in 2010 on Spiller. They did so with two quality running backs on the roster already in Lynch and Jackson. They sold and justified taking a RB with the 9th pick as taking the best player available and one that had game breaking ability. Well it’s time for Gailey and company to justify using such a high pick on Spiller. It’s one thing to take a player that high at a position of non need, it’s another whole thing to take him and not use that player properly to get the most out of him......

NFL Draft Mock Draft and Prospect Rankings Buffalo Bills Draft Preview -Fitting the Bills profootballwarroom.com

Great read overall but I think this is a great point

People have penciled in Mark Anderson as the likely DE to start opposite Mario Williams this year. I however wouldn’t count out Kelsay or Merriman. Both are better against the run than Anderson and Anderson is at his best when you limit his snaps as much as you can to obvious pass rushing situations. The Patriots figured this out last year and they basically mimicked what the Bears did with him his rookie year and kept him under 50% of the defense snaps for the year, right around 47%. The result is Anderson did what he hadn't done since his rookie year and recorded double digit sacks. I’m assuming, hoping, the Bills have taken note of this and plan on doing near the same thing.

It will be interesting to see how the staff uses him
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Jackson vs Spiller, No…Jackson & Spiller vs Opposing Defenses, Yes

Thanks - nice read!
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

I already penciled in Kelsay over Anderson on run downs.. Merriman is still a wait and see... but I'm hopeful

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

I think Anderson, Kelsay, and Merriman will all end up getting a pretty equal amount of playing time regardless of who is technically the starter. Mario will need rest too. My hope is that Merriman does in fact feel great and stays healthy because he's probably got the best combination of run defense and pass rush ability. Plus, with how much more teams throw the ball now, particularly on early downs, I don't know if you really have obvious running downs.

Comment

• Raptor
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Ed View Post
          I think Anderson, Kelsay, and Merriman will all end up getting a pretty equal amount of playing time regardless of who is technically the starter. Mario will need rest too. My hope is that Merriman does in fact feel great and stays healthy because he's probably got the best combination of run defense and pass rush ability. Plus, with how much more teams throw the ball now, particularly on early downs, I don't know if you really have obvious running downs.
          Merriman returning to even 85% of what he one was and this DL has no limit and we could ride that dominate unit all the way to the playoffs

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
            Merriman returning to even 85% of what he one was and this DL has no limit and we could ride that dominate unit all the way to the playoffs
            I don't know. I feel like he was around 85% last year at the beginning of the season and it showed. I think he really needs his burst to be more effective. Hopefully everything he's saying about feeling a lot better this year is true. Even if he's healthy though, there's also the issue of playing as a 4-3 DE and how he adjusts to that. Maybe if he does show some durability and prove that he can be counted on, they'll consider using him in a role at SLB too. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I'm cautiously optimistic. The nice thing this year is that we're not relying on him so heavily to be our primary pass rusher at least.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

How long has it been since we've had such a plethora of talent at a position that we have to guess who will play where?
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Jun 2003

Please say no to Kelsay starting. NO.
                Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins View Post
                  Please say no to Kelsay starting. NO.

Kelsay is a very good role player. When a player like him becomes depth, it's a great thing.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                    Kelsay is a very good role player. When a player like him becomes depth, it's a great thing.
                    Yes, he's good DEPTH. As long as he's not starting life is good.
                    Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• Cali512
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins View Post
                      Yes, he's good DEPTH. As long as he's not starting life is good.

The starters dont matter in any way. It just means who will be the first people on the field. Kelsay could take the least ammount of snaps and still technically be the starter. But hes good against the run and if you watch the tape, hes a good bull rusher. So having him push the QB towards Mario will help. Merriman and Anderson both use moves to get to the QB.
                      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

I think it will be interesting to see who gets reps on the left when Mario Williams is resting. I think it's likely Mario will get a lot more reps at LDE than whoever starts at RDE, but he's still going to need some rest. Is Kelsay the guy since that's where he's played most of his career. If so that would reduce his reps at RDE and that would make the primary rotation on the right Mark Anderson and Shawne Merriman. I also think it will be interesting to see who the depth DTs on the 53 man roster end up being. If Carrington, Edwards, or Spencer Johnson are among them, will he get some reps at DE. (I know Spencer Johnson is listed as a DE right now, but I think that situation is somewhat fluid, and if he makes the team it could be at DT just as easily.)
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                        X