PDA

View Full Version : Sabres Sign Grigorenko

ParanoidAndroid
07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638158&navid=DL|BUF|home

Nice! Will he be a Sabre this year or will he play another full season in the QMJHL? I'm thinking mid-season call up. Girgensons will start in Rocha-cha.

G Wolly
07-21-2012, 01:37 AM
He sure won't be NHL-starter ready right away. He still needs to build up some strength and develop a little bit.

mightysimi
07-21-2012, 05:58 AM
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638158&navid=DL|BUF|home

Nice! Will he be a Sabre this year or will he play another full season in the QMJHL? I'm thinking mid-season call up. Girgensons will start in Rocha-cha.

If he still has a year of eligibility in the Q he can't be called up mid season. That is why you see teams keep players for 9 games because as of that 10th game, their first year of there entry level contract kicks in. So they evaluate them and if they think they need more seasoning, send them back down. But like I said, if they can play junior, they have to and can't be called up until that team is out of the playoffs.

On a seperate note, as Grigorenko was projected top 5 and slid all the way to you guys, are you worried as to what the other teams saw that you didn't?

SkateZilla
07-23-2012, 01:49 PM
scouts dropped his final rating because he wasnt playing (injured i think).

chernobylwraiths
07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
He dropped because he seemed to lack heart, played poorly in the playoffs and because they were worried he would bolt for the KHL.

mightysimi
07-23-2012, 07:15 PM
So I ask again, are you worried? The book on Russian players is pretty well documented. I mean for every Malkin, there are 10 Kovalevs.

chernobylwraiths
07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
I can't be bothered to be worried, I can only hope that he turns out to be great.

SabreEleven
07-23-2012, 07:58 PM
He dropped because he seemed to lack heart, played poorly in the playoffs and because they were worried he would bolt for the KHL.

Would it matter if I told you he was injured and had Mono for the playoffs, learned English in a matter of months by studying it for 3 hours a days and brought his mother to the US from Russia.

mightysimi
07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Teams draft players that don't play for a whole season because of injury. I'm sure the decision was made prior to mono for the playoffs.